Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I never checked what I should be doing these in but always have 45-47 in mind for them - though now I realise that's from when I was trying the mile stuff. There's my homework for this week. Broad range alright..

Well, mile pace is a good place to start, which would be 45s for 200 if you’re a 6-min miler, so your goal pace sounds spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well, mile pace is a good place to start, which would be 45s for 200 if you’re a 6-min miler, so your goal pace sounds spot on.

Which of course I am not... yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

If anyone has watched Team Ingebrigsten, the 2 episodes of the latest season are up on YouTube with dodgy subtitles :) Was interesting to see how they tried to cope with the pandemic. The sister looks like she is going to be great too. AND I finally picked up Born to Run from my bookshelf, so good. Don't know if I'm tempted to run barefoot just yet though :P

Thanks for the heads up! Just finished watching those episodes. I think I've watched enough Scandi Noir tv to make a better attempt at those subtitles myself :D. The dad cracks me up ("If someone kidnaps you, don't call me. Call your mother") :D

Bungy Girl wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up! Just finished watching those episodes. I think I've watched enough Scandi Noir tv to make a better attempt at those subtitles myself . The dad cracks me up ("If someone kidnaps you, don't call me. Call your mother")

Gjert is the best part of the show! He's so cantankerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hey, enjoyed reading some of your log. Your times in the first post in 2017 are quite similar to mine when I began. I've dropped mine a touch and I've been following a loose marathon training plan since Christmas to maybe try one in the summer, race or no race. There's a lot of pages here, did you ever run a marathon in the end and how did you find the training nutrition and work getting in the way? Also if you don't mind me asking what age you are? Even a ball park figure will do!! Cheers!!!

I can already feel the longer runs and training benefitting me as I missed a few days last week and to make up for it ran a 10km TT broke my PB down to 47:11 from 48.00 so very impressed.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hey, enjoyed reading some of your log. Your times in the first post in 2017 are quite similar to mine when I began. I've dropped mine a touch and I've been following a loose marathon training plan since Christmas to maybe try one in the summer, race or no race. There's a lot of pages here, did you ever run a marathon in the end and how did you find the training nutrition and work getting in the way? Also if you don't mind me asking what age you are? Even a ball park figure will do!! Cheers!!!

I can already feel the longer runs and training benefitting me as I missed a few days last week and to make up for it ran a 10km TT broke my PB down to 47:11 from 48.00 so very impressed.

Thanks for reading. I did run Limerick marathon in 2018 but not the time I wanted (as often happens!). Attempted Dublin later that year but had to drop out before halfway as I wasn't well and I haven't attempted one since. If DCM goes ahead this year that's the planned return to a marathon. Otherwise, I'll be holding off until there's an actual race event. Eh I was very focused for Limerick so once I had the week planned out I followed it very well, pretty sure I only missed maybe 2 or 3 runs? Didn't focus on nutrition much but remember needing bigger meal portions on weekends :) I'm mid-30s now btw.

Nice work on your TT! Hard to do those things solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Also if you don't mind me asking what age you are? Even a ball park figure will do!! Cheers!!!

Terrible question to ask a lady :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Terrible question to ask a lady :D:D:D:D

She’s from Offaly so ya can add at least 5 years on to what she says, *I once pulled an Offaly lady in Tullamore one night. I was bit worse for wear & had beer goggles on. Asked her what age she was to which she replied 35, now I’ve always been brought up to respect my elders so asked no more.

It was only when the lights came on that she pulled out her box of Sweet Afton to smoke along with her false teeth, from there on I knew she wasn’t 35!!

*never happened!!!!

I was waiting for a smart comment from the westmeath fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Thanks for reading. I did run Limerick marathon in 2018 but not the time I wanted (as often happens!). Attempted Dublin later that year but had to drop out before halfway as I wasn't well and I haven't attempted one since. If DCM goes ahead this year that's the planned return to a marathon. Otherwise, I'll be holding off until there's an actual race event. Eh I was very focused for Limerick so once I had the week planned out I followed it very well, pretty sure I only missed maybe 2 or 3 runs? Didn't focus on nutrition much but remember needing bigger meal portions on weekends :) I'm mid-30s now btw.

Nice work on your TT! Hard to do those things solo.

Cheers, very interesting stuff. Fair play, I'll probably give one a crack in the summer so I'm hard at it now 5-6 days a week, but I had to skip one yesterday as thought my calves were gone. Back out today and felt fine. When working and climbing stairs all day the evening run is so hard!!

Cheers for the age its interesting for me in terms of times and amount of running. Great work!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm only a good month late to be saying it, but LOG OF THE YEAR!!! Huge congrats! Hope you got a prize :P
    Looking forward to getting caught back up with where all the training is these days, but it looks like you're going great guns.

eyrie wrote: »
    I'm only a good month late to be saying it, but LOG OF THE YEAR!!! Huge congrats! Hope you got a prize :P
    Looking forward to getting caught back up with where all the training is these days, but it looks like you're going great guns.

Cheers C! Hope all is well running-wise :)

Another solid enough week. Sleep was a bit broken all week (despite my wonderful weighted blanket) but I seem to have few things on my mind as can happen.

Mon 18th Jan
    Easy plus 10 x 20 sec strides, 5 miles @ 10.14/m avg, HR 140.

Tues 19th Jan
    45 mins S&C in the am.
    Session in the pm was 4 sets of 200,200,400 with equal distance recoveries. Having been reminded my paces should go off the tables in the Daniels book, I tried to be more disciplined with these and targeted 47 for the 200s, and 1:35 for the 400s. As usual, I split the recoveries with half walking, half jogging.
    2 mile warm-up then:
    44, 47, 1:35. (Enthusiastic start :o)
    46, 46, 1:35
    51, 47, 1:38 (combo of dodging cars and tiredness)
    47, 48, 1:37
    1.6 miles cool down.
    Happy enough with the session to be honest. Still need some more discipline and I wonder whether I need to make more of an effort to jog the full recoveries?
    7.6 miles for the evening .

Weds 20th
    Easy plus 8 x 20 sec strides, 5.5 miles @ 9.51/m avg, HR 138.

Thurs 21st
    Another attempt at the January challenge, and it was a slight improvement (59:02). 6.3miles @ 9.21/m avg, HR 142.

Fri 22nd
    40 mins S&C in the am.
    Evening session was 3 x 1 mile threshold off 2 mins (again I lengthened it from the 1 min in the plan), 6 x 200s off 200. Target pace for the miles were 7.30ish.
    2 mile warm-up then:
    7.28 (truthfully this started too fast and faded)
    7.12 (too fast but a more even effort)
    7.16 (same as mile 2)
    Really struggled to get going for the first couple of 200s, but recovered in the walked 200m recoveries for the last four.
    52, 50, 45, 44, 46, 44.
    1.6 mile cooldown, 8.3 miles total.

The miles had me fairly beat to be honest, so I really need to pace myself better as I'm fairly sure I shouldn't be flogging myself!

Sat 23rd
    Very easy 4 miles in the morning, 9.57/m avg, HR 144. Could really feel the session in my legs. Came home and did 25 minutes of mobility and core work.

Sun 24th
    Out in the chilly but beautiful morning for the long run. Legs were still tired enough and a bit heavy, but as usual they improved as they warmed up. I wasn't too fussed about the pace anyway, just wanted to keep the HR sensible. 9.5 miles @ 9.39/m avg, HR 142.

Total miles for the week: 46.4 which is higher than I'd expected. Certainly won't be trying to go beyond that this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

They are great weeks that you are putting in V. I wouldn't be worrying about a few overcooked miles or whether you should walk or jog recoveries. As has been said on a few threads here over the past few days the secret is consistency. Its not about magic or perfectly executed sessions. A decent number of days running at a variety of paces, week in week out, year on year is what brings the biggest gains.

skyblue46 wrote:
    They are great weeks that you are putting in V. I wouldn't be worrying about a few overcooked miles or whether you should walk or jog recoveries. As has been said on a few threads here over the past few days the secret is consistency. Its not about magic or perfectly executed sessions. A decent number of days running at a variety of paces, week in week out, year on year is what brings the biggest gains.

Fair point! I'll still aim for improvement on the session discipline though :)

Agree with S. Super stuff. Walk, jog, whatever works. The whole point of R (as a opposed to I pace) is to be sufficiently recovered to knock the next one out at the same pace and good form. If you’re fading, you’re not recovered enough. Standing recoveries if that’s what it takes (although apparently slow jog is better than standing for recovery).

Agree with S. Super stuff. Walk, jog, whatever works. The whole point of R (as a opposed to I pace) is to be sufficiently recovered to knock the next one out at the same pace and good form. If you’re fading, you’re not recovered enough. Standing recoveries if that’s what it takes (although apparently slow jog is better than standing for recovery).

Cheers D and thanks for reminding me of the point of the reps. I should probably reread certain parts of the book. I'm watching your approach to the sessions also :)

As with everyone it seems, the covid blues hit hard this week. I knew we were going to have lockdown extended, but for some reason it still got me at the start of the week to think of yet another 6 weeks at least of this situation, and the weather hasn't helped. It's crappy for everyone but I indulged in feeling very sorry for myself. I'm trying every trick in my book to stay positive but it's not easy. Anyway, that includes putting in some running and I did have a good week in fairness.

Mon 25th Jan
    Easy and strides, 5 miles @ 10.12/m avg. HR 130 but I'm not convinced by that, even though it did all feel very easy and it was fluctuating correctly with hills etc. Seems far too low however. 10 x 20 sec strides to finish.

Tues 26th Jan
    40 mins S&C. Had to cut it short in the C part due to a 7.30 am meeting and I had mistimed my morning :-/
    Particularly blue on Tuesday so to encourage myself out to a session of 200s and 400s, I took heed of some of the comments last week about recoveries and decided to mostly walk the recoveries.
    2 mile WU and drills
    4 x 200, 200 recovery, target 45-47.
    43, 45, 41, 42. Oops.

4 x 400, 400 recovery, target 1.35.
    1.31, 1.33, 1.30, 1.34. Double oops.

4 x 200, 200 recovery, same target.
    46, 45, 45, 44. Better.

So, many too fast reps HOWEVER I have to say they all felt very controlled, moreso than other weeks. I don't know if that was down to more recovery or just a good week or improving fitness but I'll take it.
    7.3 miles total.

Weds 27th Jan
    5.4 miles easy. So in addition to the previous night having felt more controlled, I didn't feel the session in my legs as much as I usually do on Wednesdays which was a lovely surprise. 9.54/m avg, HR 138. 8 x 20 sec strides at the end.

Thurs 28th Jan
    My final attempt at the one hour challenge and it was the worst yet! I had it in my head I needed to push slightly, but it turns out I'm not very good at judging 'slightly' - way too fast as I came in at 57.51! And a tad too fast for my easy, 9.09/m, HR 151. I'll have work to do with the Feb challenge! Although I'm also thinking I will run without looking at the watch more often, it was easier to ignore the 3rd time around and I think it's good for me. So thank you shotgun for forcing me out of that comfort zone :)

Fri 29th Jan
    Slept through my alarm, or turned it off in my sleep perhaps so I didn't have time to do my S&C before work.
    Today's session was 7 x 2 mins 'hard' - so I picked up the book to reread what hard means. I'd been thinking zone 4 would be a good target but really zone 5 is where I needed to be. Great, nice easy session so :)
    I jogged over to UCD for this assuming it would be quiet enough given the rubbish weather. It was fairly quiet alright, but still managed to get a couple of scares from dogs appearing out of the darkness suddenly. Honestly. Sick of idiot dog owners at this stage.
    I hit Zone 5 for all reps, paces varied wildly due to drags and downhills, so maybe distance covered is a better gauge.
    0.29, 0.30, 0.28, 0.31, 0.30, 0.29, 0.32.
    My watch informed me I hit a new max HR of 188 (I was wearing the chest strap). Interesting. Might have been dog related who knows :rolleyes:
    6.2 miles total.

Sat 30th Jan
    Got the S&C in this morning, was easier considering the weather outside and I may as well! 40 mins.
    The rain was clearly going nowhere so eventually headed out in it. 4 miles eas, 9.40/m.

Sun 31st Jan
    Again, the miserable weather when I woke up. Sick of it. Had to look at google maps to pick a route to motivate myself out, especially since this was a 'paced' long run on the plan.
    1 mile easy, then 9 miles at MP. What is my MP I had to ask myself? Looked at calculators.. as usual, they are a bit optimistic so I settled on 8.30-8.50 window. A bit optimistic still, but then I'm not actually training for a marathon so doesn't seem too crazy. I wasn't looking forward to it much, and feared it being horrible, but I actually enjoyed it after i warmed up into it and it went pretty well. The run ended with 6 x 20 sec strides which skewed my avg pace, but the avg pace for the 9 miles at MP was 8.34/m.
    Some miles were a bit fast, but I'd taken longer than the one mile at the start to warm up to the pace, so the MP section started off a little slow. The section also started on an uphill through Dundrum village and onto Barton road which I had somehow flattened in my head when I picked the route! 10.7 miles total.

Total for the week 45.1
    and 181 for the month! Which is in or around my highest ever, and that was when I was training for the marathon.

The club have set up another challenge to keep us motivated. I wasn't going to bother as the last one had some weird elements that I found it hard to get into, but they added a 1 mile, 5k and 10k TT so I figured why not.We've had to predict times so I put 6.05, 21.30 and 44.30. The 1 mile TT is first up next Saturday. I'm not sure the club committee will be as watchful on elevations as boards has been but I'll watching for jokers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I seem to have missed the news about another 6 weeks of lockdown but see it mentioned on a few logs today. I try to stay away from news updates, it's the same stuff over and over again :(. It is hard and I think people are struggling because it's still January, the weather is crap and we are all going around in circles like hamsters on a wheel. Somehow, we will endure and make it out the other side, I know we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's an impressive week. Super speedy stuff going on :D. Well done!

My watch informed me I hit a new max HR of 188 (I was wearing the chest strap). Interesting. Might have been dog related who knows :rolleyes:

I've hit stratospheric HRs due to canine incidents, never seen the likes in a race though :o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Another brilliant week; and the additional lock down like you say combined with the weather made it a tough one.

I really am impressed with your dedication to the S&C side of things I am really very sporadic with this. Do you have a particular program that you follow?

Thanks C

I really am impressed with your dedication to the S&C side of things I am really very sporadic with this. Do you have a particular program that you follow?

The S&C came about after my calf problems, I was doing too much for my body to handle without any extra supplementary work so knowing it will help prevent something similar keeps the dedication up. Add to that, I've honestly felt strength at the end of races or TTs really that I hadn't before which is a nice feeling and again keeps me going with it. I do enjoy it also!

In normal times, I go to classes run by physios in city centre, but they adapted really well and have sessions set up on an app as well as videos to go with it if you need to see how exercises are done. I could do HIIT or pilates from them as well, but it's easier to commit to 2 sessions a week, and maybe add the core and mobility session they have also (it's pretty low intensity). I'm pretty sure you can subscribe to just the online for a tenner a month actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thats sounds great will have a look; it is probably the one thing running related that I am struggling with during the restrictions, I am lucky enough to have a small gym room onsite in work and even doing 2 or 3 20 minute sessions during the week was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great training going on V. You really seem to have hit your stride over the past year with a decent volume & pace increase (without a HR increase). No doubt you will achieve great things when things get going again race wise but in the meantime you seem to be enjoying and thriving on the process.

ariana` wrote: »
    Great training going on V. You really seem to have hit your stride over the past year with a decent volume & pace increase (without a HR increase). No doubt you will achieve great things when things get going again race wise but in the meantime you seem to be enjoying and thriving on the process.

Cheers E. Yeah thankfully I am just really enjoying my running. I don't know the last time I've had a run I didn't really enjoy. There's a lot to be said for life being slower overall also, better rested for runs and not trying to squeeze them in between doing 'stuff'.

Great week, V. Three sessions is a lot and you came through that MP effort very well at the end of a long week. Kudos.

Some performance on the speeds - looks like you're ready to start the jog recoveries again!

Mon 1st Feb
    Very easy evening run, could definitely feel Sunday’s run in my legs a little so I ditched the strides. 3.4 miles @ 10.08/m, HR 134

Tues 2nd Feb
    40 mins S&C.
    Evening session was 2 sets of 4 x 400, which was daunting enough. I still fear 400s quite a bit. 2 mile warm-up and drills, and into the 400s. Target pace 1.35.
    Set 1: 1.34, 1.36, 1.37, 1.33. For the 400m recoveries I just jogged the last 100m of each... in my head it was cos of the planned mile TT on Saturday but really it’s easier :p
    1 mile easy before the next lot, 10.23 pace.
    Set 2: 1.38, 1.35, 1.37, 1.37. Same recovery approach.
    Cool down and total miles for the evening 8.5. I was happy enough with the session really.

Weds 3rd Feb
    Easy evening miles and 8 x 20 sec strides. 5.6 miles @ 9.44/m, HR 140. Again didn’t feel the session too much.

Thurs 4th Feb
    Headed out for a lunchtime run for a change, didn’t bother with the HRM though. 5.5 miles @ 9.13/m avg.

Fri 5th Feb
    Struggled to get out of bed to do my S&C and then justified that with taking a break to give the legs extra rest before the mile TT :o
    Easy evening miles (no session this week for the same reason) plus 8 x 20 sec strides. 6 miles @ 9.51/m avg, HR 137.

Sat 6th
    I’d decided to do the club mile TT over at Ballsbridge where I’d done mile reps a couple weeks back. The path is wide enough and the road quiet enough that even if I meet people, it’s easily managed. I had no real love for this TT from the minute I got out of bed! 2 mile warm up and drills, and then I’d decided to experiment with 2 x 200m reps to find the pace before the mile... still undecided about this approach really. I was not feeling confident.

I changed the planned route last minute when I realised Ailesbury road in full is 1km long and so flat, and then when I turned onto Merrion Road I’d be over halfway done already.
    Made sure my breath was back to normal but also didn’t let myself get cold and set off. I started a bit too quickly but pulled myself back very quickly too so I don’t think any real harm was done. However, before I got to the turn at 1km, I knew I was lagging and couldn’t find the will to urge the legs on. The bit of wind was into my face on Merrion Road and I knew I was losing a lot of time but again, the legs just didn’t fancy picking it up. Or rather, my head didn’t! I had one last turn for the last 200m or so and ideally I’d have been picking it up then, but no! 6.27 and quite poor really.
    I noticed immediately that there was no coughing from me as has been usual when I’ve really put in the effort for a mile, so I think it’s fair to say I did not get going on it! Ah well, I’m not much bothered to tell the truth. The 5k TT is in 3 weeks and that’s the one I’ve been thinking of so I hope I push myself that day.
    Lots of great efforts from club members (and also some like myself!), although seeing people (on Strava) suddenly live within 5km of Fernhill or doing it in groups in the park really pi$$ed me off. But I’ll likely keep my mouth shut.
    Just under 6 miles for the morning yesterday.

Sun 7th
    I’d half contemplated attempting the Feb challenge today, but wine last night and hearing the wind this morning quickly decided against that! Standard enough 8ish mile route around Terenure/Temmpleogue/Rathnfarnham at lunchtime, with some really horrible wind at times. That said, I enjoyed getting out. 8.2 miles @ 9.23/m, HR 144.

Total miles: 43 on the nose. Not sure I’ve ever strung so many 40+ weeks together before. I know it’s standard enough for many on here, but a fair step up for me and seem to be doing ok with it. Not feeling overly tired, but definitely an increase an appetite.

So the plan for now is the last two weeks of this Phase of the Daniels plan, then an easyish week with some sort of ‘tuning up’ session and a 5k TT quicker than last year’s one. Simple :)

Doesn't sound like the head was in that mile alright. Never a good sign if you change the route at the last minute, and 2x200 beforehand sounds like too much to me, assuming you did these at mile pace?

It's definitely not an easy milestone to hit, but you'll get there.

Hear you on the 5k zone thing. Gets my goat too. But some people will do anything to get an edge. Makes you wonder what they do in actual races too.

Doesn't sound like the head was in that mile alright. Never a good sign if you change the route at the last minute, and 2x200 beforehand sounds like too much to me, assuming you did these at mile pace?

It's definitely not an easy milestone to hit, but you'll get there.

Hear you on the 5k zone thing. Gets my goat too. But some people will do anything to get an edge. Makes you wonder what they do in actual races too.

The 200s were slightly slower than mile pace but the intent was to find the pace yeah. Just an experiment!

• Advertisement

Mon 8th Feb
    Recovery / easy run. 5 miles @ 10.05/m, with 10 x 20 sec strides at the end. HR 135.

Tues 9th Feb
    40 mins S&C.
    The session later was a progression on one from a few weeks ago - 5 sets of 200, 200, 400 with equal recoveries. It was a bitterly cold evening as I'm sure everyone felt, and with the strong wind I knew it would be tough hitting any target paces so I went by effort and tried to focus on my form. Did my usual 2 mile warm-up with drills, not that I felt warm after that. I even shuffled most of the recoveries purely to try and keep warm.
    48, 49, 1.40
    49, 47, 1.39
    49, 49, 1.38
    50, 48, 1.38
    48, 48, 1.34
    I was relieved to get this done, but my left hamstring was quite sore afterwards. I would occasionally get a twinge there after a session recently but never enough to worry me, and it would always be gone by the next run. This felt worse but I figured it would also just go and I promised myself I would foam roll and stretch more :pac:
    7.5 miles total for the evening.

Weds 10th Feb
    Only got out for a short run later than usual after a friend I haven't spoken to in ages called me (which was better than a longer run let's be honest). 3.4 miles @ 9.23/m.

Thurs 11th Feb
    I really didn't want to go out in the cold this evening, I'd struggled to stay warm all day as it was (lap blanket, hot water bottle and heating on at times!) but forced myself out the door. I didn't enjoy a single step of this. The wind was too icy to be remotely bearable 6 miles @ 9.30/m, 142 HR.

Fri 12th Feb
    With it being so windy yet again, I knew I wasn't going to do any session, so was thinking I'd run easy. Then I thought, why am I forcing myself out in that horrible weather again, and for what? So I took my first rest day since early January.

Sat 13th Feb
    40 mins S&C.
    I waited until the afternoon for the rain to go away, and the wind to die down a little before heading out to try do my session. It was 4 x 1 mile reps, with some strides afterwards. As soon as I left the house, I was reminded of my hamstring so I told myself to pull the plug if it didn't feel right. 2 miles warm-up and then did the first mile rep @ 7.22. My leg was not right, but in the 2 mins recovery I said I'll try one more but stopped 200m in. It felt like too much. So I jogged the few miles home instead.

The leg wasn't right all evening, and still hurt quite a bit yesterday. I went for a short walk and I could feel it. Very annoying. Can feel it today still so will probably book a physio just to be safe. I am assuming the cold weather and pushing too much without being warmed up enough has done the damage. So hopefully either some rest or sticking to easy running will sort me out.

28 miles for the week.

Advertisement