Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stark wrote: »
    Still haven't gotten round to watching 13's second season. Found the first season totally underwhelming.

Like it or loathe it, the last 3 episodes of season 12 are probably worth watching, if only to familiarise oneself with the new canon of the doctor - ditto the earlier episode "Fugitive of the Judoon" actually, for the same reason.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like it or loathe it, the last 3 episodes of season 12 are probably worth watching, if only to familiarise oneself with the new canon of the doctor - ditto the earlier episode "Fugitive of the Judoon" actually, for the same reason.

Actually feel these are the best episodes out of both series too. Although none of it's really up to the previous heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll admit I genuinely forgot there have been 2 seasons with this crew. I remember Donna joined and people were against her initially but happy a few episodes in. Same with Bill. But these companions, 2 seasons in and I have to think of their names for a start and had to Google to confirm.

As for The Doctor, she gets nearly as little screen time as he did in Blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

The 13th Doctor's second series isn't perfect, but it is definitely a big step-up from her first
    The Master in Spyfall and pretty much the whole of Fugitive of the Judoon were genuine jaw-dropper moments for me, even if the conclusion was a bit of a dud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would also throw a recommendation in for episode 8, 'The Haunting of Villa Diadati.' If for no other reason than it's a 13th Doctor episode where The Doctor actually gets a bit of focus. It's a really good period romp besides and Maxine Alderton really gets to work through her contempt for Lord Byron.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The trailer for the Christmas special has popped up; interesting move having it relatively Doctor less...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The trailer for the Christmas special has popped up; interesting move having it relatively Doctor less...

Doctor Who has been less about the Doctor the last two seasons so no real surprise ;)

But Cpt Jack :D

So news is this Xmas story will be Ryan and Graham's last. Sorry to see Graham go as the older head was a rare sight in Who, but both characters' stories were kinda done.

So news is this Xmas story will be Ryan and Graham's last. Sorry to see Graham go as the older head was a rare sight in Who, but both characters' stories were kinda done.

Good - none of the companions are likeable in the least (especially Ryan)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Good - none of the companions are likeable in the least (especially Ryan)

I liked Graham, his cancer arc was nicely grounded for Who, while the older companion that calls out the Doc is a well not visited enough IMO. Agree about Ryan, he quickly became pointless, while Yaz kept getting the short stick with the writing, rarely featuring.

• Advertisement

None of them have the gravitas of the previous companions - that may well be down to introducing 3 brand new characters in one go so never a chance to establish any of them

Hopefully they don't bring any more in

Rewartched Day of the Doctor yesterday - what a change has happened to DW and not for the good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm glad Yaz is staying on, she's been poorly treated by the writers so far, maybe now they might remember she's a cooper. Also her and Jodie seems to be pals in real life so hopefully they can bring that to screen with more screentime together.

Two was always a stretch but any time Who ever tried three companions it ended up a bit of a dud. There's just not enough screen time for four main characters. As said, hopefully now Yaz gets more room to grow.

I always got the feeling all three of them could have been dacent with stronger writing. I didn't care much for Ryan but I do think Graham is a missed opportunity.

Yaz is the most likeable of the three, happy she's hanging around, and as you said hopefully she'll get a bit of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whatever way they framed those shots, Bishop looked a lot like High Grant, but maybe that's me. I guess they're going back to the same well that brought forth Catherine Tate and hiring a comedian.

Whatever way they framed those shots, Bishop looked a lot like High Grant, but maybe that's me. I guess they're going back to the same well that brought forth Catherine Tate and hiring a comedian.

Thought that too for the first few secs

As usual Andrew Ellard's notes on the episode are worth a read.

https://twitter.com/ellardent/status/1345369217021972485?s=19

I thought Sean Maguire. Though thought it was Sean in the trailer for The Undoing as well instead of Hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

FunLover18 wrote: »
    As usual Andrew Ellard's notes on the episode are worth a read.

https://twitter.com/ellardent/status/1345369217021972485?s=19

That was a great read. Would have loved to have watched his rewrite of it.

• Advertisement

The Mirror reporting that Whittaker is leaving after the next series. If it's true it's a real shame because I think could have been a great Doctor but she was lumbered with a terrible showrunner and writer.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The Mirror reporting that Whittaker is leaving after the next series. If it's true it's a real shame because I think could have been a great Doctor but she was lumbered with a terrible showrunner and writer.

Well I am delighted - maybe it was the writing or the actor but it needs a change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hopefully, in 2023, we'll have a new show runner and Jodie can come back for the 60th anniversary and show us what she can really do.

Yeah but, The Mirror? Would take very large globs of salt with anything any UK redtop claims TBH.

Yeah every couple of years it seems we're in here saying the same thing, "don't trust the tabloids" :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Whittaker leaving won't change the fundamental issue that is Chris Chibnaill. I still don't understand how he got the job - there's surely plenty of talented folk out there. We'd probably cobble better scripts between us on this forum.

ixoy wrote: »
    Whittaker leaving won't change the fundamental issue that is Chris Chibnaill. I still don't understand how he got the job - there's surely plenty of talented folk out there. We'd probably cobble better scripts between us on this forum.

The success of Broadchurch + Chibnall's a super fan. On paper it was a no brainer to be fair, given that's kinda similar background to RTD when he took the top job. For sure, Chibnall's work on Who + helming of Torchwood wasn't exactly stellar but the decision could still be mapped from source to result

Was reading there are already names being said to be favourites to replace her.
    Will see how the next season goes now with less companions

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Guardian running with it now that she is quitting the show when her contract is up.

• Advertisement

Hope she gets a decent last series if it's true, but aint holding too much faith.

Advertisement