Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It is to show that you aren't getting help while doing them. If you read the candidate book it tells you about it. Be sure to have your ID beside you as well because you aren't allowed leave the laptop once it starts.

Read the booklet,it appears to be you record yourself and ID and then pan the room .

Is that it ,or will I need to do it a few times during the exam?
    The reason I ask is I'm using a PC and it will be awkward to do,be easier if they just recorded me while I did the whole exam .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nightsky123

Information booklet states

These assessments will take you approximately 40 minutes in total to complete and should be completed in one sitting, if possible.

Can I do the verbal reasoning tomorrow and then numerical on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

I did the tests on Thursday and have to say compared to other competitions I have done, the layout was more straightforward.The verbal was easy enough, the Maths(usually my strong point) was difficult on a few questions, the graphs were not very clear and one or two questions had way to much info to work through.Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MUFC2019

For those who already did the tests did you get a green tick to indicate an answer was right?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Found it easier than the eo one, which is not good considering if you get one wrong it gets easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

MUFC2019 wrote: »
    For those who already did the tests did you get a green tick to indicate an answer was right?

Eh??
    I only got that when I was doing the practice runs.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

MUFC2019 wrote: »
    No I didn't anyway, presume we have to wait for results for that kind of information.

redmgar wrote: »
    Found it easier than the eo one, which is not good considering if you get one wrong it gets easier.
    Gosh I found it so much harder, as previously mentioned I found numerical veru difficult and that is usually my strong point.

RC01 wrote: »
    Gosh I found it so much harder, as previously mentioned I found numerical veru difficult and that is usually my strong point.

What about the verbal., any hints.

What about the verbal., any hints.

It is hard to know as you obviously think your answer is right in the verbal as it is only true, false or cannot say. I seemed to get cannot say for an awful lot. My passages were all quite short and not too complex but maybe that means I didn't do too well, I'm not sure?
    Also I had the verbal done in 15mins,whereas I was at least a half hour with numerical amd ended up guessing some of them. Best of luck

• Advertisement

redmgar wrote: »

Do you mind me asking how long did it take to get the results from this stage at the EO competititon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Etray reviewer

Anyone else have the shipping container questions in the numerical? It seemed obvious but couldn’t my answers to match the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

Just did the tests and found the numerical to be absolutely dreadful. Half of the graphs were very unclear and I found myself guessing loads of the answers. Maths is not my strong point but the questions didn’t seem to get any easier either. I’d been practicing all week but it doesn’t seem to have been much help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

Anyone else have the shipping container questions in the numerical? It seemed obvious but couldn’t my answers to match the options.

Yep those totally threw me, I couldn't make my calculations fit the answer options and even after the test can't find any way to work it out other than how I did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Just finished the numerical was awful. Felt like i was guessing a few and took me near 30 mins to complete :( verbal I thought was ok good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

Just finished there, my god the maths. That was unpleasant

I'm frigging bricking it now.....
    Practice is okay but now the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Just finished there and have to say I struggled with both, usually get through in top 10 or 20 in my county but doubt it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Do the test work ok on iPad or would I be better off with a laptop?

Niamhf wrote: »

Personally I think a laptop would be better, the whole question will fit on the screen without too much fiddling about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

Niamhf wrote: »

It says it can be done on mobile devices. Personally I used a laptop, If they are recording during the entire exam the webcam directed at you on the laptop may be better than if you had an ipad flat on a table looking at the ceiling. That could be considered a major breach if you aren't visible the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Kenevil wrote: »
    Just finished the numerical was awful. Felt like i was guessing a few and took me near 30 mins to complete :( verbal I thought was ok good luck everyone

Yes, found the maths very rough. I don't hold out much hope after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hellr

Claireyy wrote: »
    Just did the tests and found the numerical to be absolutely dreadful. Half of the graphs were very unclear and I found myself guessing loads of the answers. Maths is not my strong point but the questions didn’t seem to get any easier either. I’d been practicing all week but it doesn’t seem to have been much help at all.

I was the same and I didn’t get the shipping container question so must have gone very bad. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

hellr wrote: »
    I was the same and I didn’t get the shipping container question so must have gone very bad. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I also didn’t get that question. Very disappointed as I’d spent a lot of time practicing but ah well, there’s always next time!

I think the general consensus is that the numerical was very tough. I bought a package to practice.... money back guarantee looks like i'll be getting my money back...

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Claireyy wrote:

Same, I did it this afternoon. The verbal was straight forward enough but numerical was very difficult. The first few questions weren't too bad but after that I really struggled to get finished. I guessed the last couple because I'd gone over 20mins, I really hope they don't cut anyone that went over the allotted time otherwise I'm goosed.

Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hellr

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Same, I did it this afternoon. The verbal was straight forward enough but numerical was very difficult. The first few questions weren't too bad but after that I really struggled to get finished. I guessed the last couple because I'd gone over 20mins, I really hope they don't cut anyone that went over the allotted time otherwise I'm goosed.

Good luck to everyone.

You could go over the time, the optimum time as 40 mins for the whole test. Time will be taken into consideration with accuracy when you get your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

hellr wrote:
    You could go over the time, the optimum time as 40 mins for the whole test. Time will be taken into consideration with accuracy when you get your results.

Hopefully that's what they do because I finished the verbal in about 12mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I did same type of test with EO. Took about 45mins, still guessed a few and got 56% in numerical.

• Advertisement

I have just finished – after a faulty start. I had a screen freeze and a near heart failure!

I have to say it was tough on both counts and I am not hopeful. The numerical was hard and I found the wording on some of the numerical questions unclear – and some of them I took a guess to my nearest calculated answer….
    The verbal –again ambiguous and I just did the best I could.

My advice is to read the questions slowly.

So fingers crossed for me – and good luck to anyone who still has to do the assessment.

Advertisement