Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

bdmc5 wrote: »
    I’m looking an new RBK353 actually so that’s great to hear.

Im on the 1GB package So have the faster Virgin box. Just abit concerned about getting the virgin box to sync with with Orbi. Would you know anywhere on here where the steps are outlined or was it was a very simple process ?

Getting the Orbi to work with VM is easy enough, you need to put the VM box in modem mode - option in the UI. Except if that option isn't there, you need to ask VM to put you into IPv4 mode, which they will do but will probably tell you they wont support you if you screw up. Once they do that, put it in modem mode and connect the Orbi to one of the LAN ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Hello. Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

I currently have the white modem and horizon TV. I have ordered TV 360 and the GB broadband. I know I get sent a new modem and TV box. I currently have a splitter running a cable to the modem and TV. Will the same cables work with the new service or do I have to use the cables given ? (If u do get cables)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Hello. Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

I currently have the white modem and horizon TV. I have ordered TV 360 and the GB broadband. I know I get sent a new modem and TV box. I currently have a splitter running a cable to the modem and TV. Will the same cables work with the new service or do I have to use the cables given ? (If u do get cables)

Your existing cables should be fine - but in my case they swapped out the splitter...

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Your existing cables should be fine - but in my case they swapped out the splitter...

Thanks. They send they would be in touch with delivery date so if I need a new splitter I may be in trouble ha

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

They're chasing me for the old 3.0 HUB. I didn't see this one coming... They did say on the phone they don't collect old Horizon boxes on upgrade. ...I had assumed it's also true for the old modem.
    I haven't a clue where I put it. Can't seem to find it...
    Will it cost me a lot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

xboxdad wrote: »
    They're chasing me for the old 3.0 HUB. I didn't see this one coming... They did say on the phone they don't collect old Horizon boxes on upgrade. ...I had assumed it's also true for the old modem.
    Will it cost me a lot?

€3,000. a kidney and your first born :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Will it cost me a lot?

€150

https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/faqs-and-videos/billing/fees-explained/how-to-return-equipment/

I left them 2 years ago and at the time asked did they want the router back. They said no, I could dispose of it myself. Then a month later I got an email asking for it. Had to contact them and tell them it was in the bin following their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Will it cost me a lot?

Ask them is that correct procedure in the current climate? :rolleyes:

DopeTech wrote: »

150 EUR? For that you could buy a proper gaming router, not this crap that was never working properly :eek:
    Pfff... I hope I can find it somewhere...

150 EUR? For that you could buy a proper gaming router, not this crap that was never working properly :eek:
    Pfff... I hope I can find it somewhere...

Tell them you have Covid in the house and then look on ebay!

• Advertisement

Tell them you have Covid in the house and then look on ebay!

Ah, just found it! Phew...
    Their return process is via ParcelMotel, so sort of contactless.

It's just shocking they're going to reuse this piece of outdated, badly designed equipment instead of being happy with me binning it... Especially when they said they wouldn't collect the Horizon box on upgrade. Confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I have 5 google wifi pucks (shape of the house - don't ask). If I switch the Hub 2 to wifi mode, what difference am I going to see? - speed etc, or is it just a matter of turning it off and it not doing anything apart from not being able to connect to it?

I got the new modem today but the light starts solid white, then flashes white and then goes red. have checked the connections. do i leave it as is? does it take time or is it just not provisioned doe anyone know?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

rafi bomb wrote: »
    I got the new modem today but the light starts solid white, then flashes white and then goes red. have checked the connections. do i leave it as is? does it take time or is it just not provisioned doe anyone know?

How long did you leave it for? When I set up my modem, it really did take the best part of an hour for it to get provisioned onto the network.

Spear wrote: »
    How long did you leave it for? When I set up my modem, it really did take the best part of an hour for it to get provisioned onto the network.

left it a couple of hours. rang and they provisioned it and starting working shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Ah, just found it! Phew...
    Their return process is via ParcelMotel, so sort of contactless.

It's just shocking they're going to reuse this piece of outdated, badly designed equipment instead of being happy with me binning it... Especially when they said they wouldn't collect the Horizon box on upgrade. Confusing.

Honestly I would imagine it's just a way to collect money from people who bin it without realising, particularly since they appear to send the notifications a good bit after your upgrade. Predatory behaviour that should be stomped on by ComReg in my opinion, but of course they're utterly toothless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Has anyone noticed a drop in speeds? I’m only getting 45 mb down on the 1gb package at the moment

Shane732 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a drop in speeds? I’m only getting 45 mb down on the 1gb package at the moment

Nope

Shane732 wrote: »

I had that last night from about 9pm until 1am and it just magically fixed itself. I'm in North Dublin if it was a location thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I had it, but because the speeds were all over the place, I got rid of it, then they recabled the area so I got it again, and haven't been able to get over 300mb on it, so I'm getting rid of it again & getting the old white modem back.

Apparently there's a small number of people on the new modem who won't be able to get it working properly

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    I had it, but because the speeds were all over the place, I got rid of it, then they recabled the area so I got it again, and haven't been able to get over 300mb on it, so I'm getting rid of it again & getting the old white modem back.

Apparently there's a small number of people on the new modem who won't be able to get it working properly

My speeds vary wildly. I could speed test now and get 800-900 Mbps easily, check again later and it'll struggle to reach 400 but then magically be fine again 30mins later.

My upload speed is a whole other thing altogether, at the moment it struggles to make above 30 Mbps down.

Which speedtest server do you typically use? Many of them cant give reliable results for 1Gb connections as they don't have the bandwidth to do several 1Gb tests at once. Hence you'll see 800mbs one minute and 400 the next. Try Blacknight Carlow as one of the better for higher speed connections, but even that isn't going to be 100% reliable.

Your upload results though would concern me more as I rarely get much under 50. Occasionally get 41, but never 30. I'm on the 500mb package though with the white router in modem mode using an Orbi mesh, if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

BigMoose wrote: »
    Which speedtest server do you typically use? Many of them cant give reliable results for 1Gb connections as they don't have the bandwidth to do several 1Gb tests at once. Hence you'll see 800mbs one minute and 400 the next. Try Blacknight Carlow as one of the better for higher speed connections, but even that isn't going to be 100% reliable.

Your upload results though would concern me more as I rarely get much under 50. Occasionally get 41, but never 30. I'm on the 500mb package though with the white router in modem mode using an Orbi mesh, if that makes any difference.

1. http://openspeedtest.com/ (closest servers)

2. https://virginmediaireland.dualstack.speedtestcustom.com/ (this is pretty reliable usually)

And only really test before, then after ASUS router firmware upgrades via a wired LAN cable connected laptop.

However, with Wi-Fi AC/AX over 5GHz I'll usually get similar results via mobile devices as well :)

(stock ISP modem/routers are never great, always recommend upgrading to anything better)

For fun (bored with work on a friday afternoon) just ran tests using those two above and Blacknight carlow on speedtest.net (from a windows 10 laptop cabled LAN):
    • openspeedtest.com - 445mbs down and 85mbs up - which is bonkers and clearly wrong. Some browser caching or something funny going on there
    • virginmediaireland.dualstack.speedtestcustom.com - 275 down and 51 up
    • Speedtest.net Blacknight Carlow server: 377 down and 51 up.
    Getting erratic tests as the above poster mentions is likely on a 500-1Gb product unless you know the sever can handle it. On other threads here folk recommend Blacknight on speedtest.net as the most reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

BigMoose wrote: »
    For fun (bored with work on a friday afternoon) just ran tests using those two above and Blacknight carlow on speedtest.net (from a windows 10 laptop cabled LAN):
    • openspeedtest.com - 445mbs down and 85mbs up - which is bonkers and clearly wrong. Some browser caching or something funny going on there
    • virginmediaireland.dualstack.speedtestcustom.com - 275 down and 51 up
    • Speedtest.net Blacknight Carlow server: 377 down and 51 up.
    Getting erratic tests as the above poster mentions is likely on a 500-1Gb product unless you know the sever can handle it. On other threads here folk recommend Blacknight on speedtest.net as the most reliable.

It's all in the data :D

And yeah, when using speedtest.net the Blacknight servers are very reliable, worked with one of their engineers in the past as well, even after leaving himself + his Dad highly recommends them which says a lot in my book ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Isn't it best practice to run speedtests off an app?

I was warned about that by the engineer who installed my fiber connection.

Yeah, I believe they are more reliable than via a browser. My Speedtest above was via the app, the other 2 via a browser.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've used Speedtest, Fast and nPerf.

nPerf seems to be more reliable for me. It gives you other information on the Wifi Connection back to your AP.

LoGiE wrote: »
    I've used Speedtest, Fast and nPerf.

nPerf seems to be more reliable for me. It gives you other information on the Wifi Connection back to your AP.

When running a speed test over Wi-Fi (with a 1GB connection) you're not testing your broadbands raw speed, but rather testing your Wi-Fi capabilities.

(I suspect LoGIE knows this, but more a reminder for some others...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

When running a speed test over Wi-Fi (with a 1GB connection) you're not testing your broadbands raw speed, but rather testing your Wi-Fi capabilities.

(I suspect LoGIE knows this, but more a reminder for some others...)

Suck that egg Grandma...

Advertisement