Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

This one is a little bit too early for me. I would be happy to even take one scalp from the names you mentioned.

Very hard to call the top 3 from Kevin, Rory and Aaron. Think its Rory's and Aaron's first time doing Kilkee so if Kevin wasn't suffering from a slight injury I would fancy him to win. Might come down to the wire with Rory chasing down Kevin and taking it in the last km. My predictions are usually way off though!

I would expect those 3 lads to be a few mins ahead of the rest. The gap from the swim will just be too big for the rest and the 3 lads could get a nice pace line going up front.

Have you one or two scalps in mind Fazz?

Matt Molloy might be in that pace line also no?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Matt Molloy might be in that pace line also no?

If he has a good one he might but he was 1:23 behind Aaron in Joey Hannon.

More likely a 2nd pace line will form with Matt, Davy, Trevor and Aidan in it.

Then again that tough hill out of Kilkee has a tendancy to break things up.

Gonna be a tough chase for the rest of us then. High chance of over cooking the bike in the attempt to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Fazz wrote: »
    Anyone care to plug at the podium contingent?

Aaron O'Brien - had a good comfortable 2nd at Lough Cutra Oly, fish will be near first out of water, seems to have improved bike.

Kevin Thornton - 2nd last year to G Noble, Fish, likely to take lead on bike and then the juniors will try run him down?

Rory Sexton - probably a shoe in for NS title this year, fish, improved bike and run could push Kevin and Aaron over this course depending if Kevin's bike strength is enough to gap him.

Mark Horan - 3rd last year, seems to have improved a bit more.

I'd say the top 3 will be from the above and we will see how much the youngsters have improved their bike relative to the strong bikers, with the below as close contenders for the next few positions.

Colm Turner - in form or for fun?

Shane Scully - injuries mean nothing to this man.

Trevor Woods - in form, strong at all disciplines

Aidan Callaghan - in form, strong at all disciplines

David Richardson - fish there or thereabouts at the end

Matt Molloy - fish, strong biker, will be close.

How about the women's race? Pretty stacked field for it too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Where we getting entry lists?

And very disappointed that Fazz hasn't included me in his predictions. Is this because I haven't swam at all or cycled much in the past month?

This is going to hurt, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would think the 2nd placed athlete at the Nat duathlon camps, is one of the 3 strongest swimmer in the field ...( not even sure if he races but would think so )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

peter kern wrote: »
    i would think the 2nd placed athlete at the Nat duathlon camps, is one of the 3 strongest swimmer in the field ...( not even sure if he races but would think so )

I didn't see Owen on the entry list but then again as Pro this season he may have a preferential entry so certainly if he's racing yes could be up there in lead group to t2 you'd expect.

How about the women's race? Pretty stacked field for it too

Will try make a stab at this later...

I know Jen Duffy isn't racing though.

Will try make a stab at this later...

I know Jen Duffy isn't racing though.

Has she turned pro now?

BTH wrote: »

And very disappointed that Fazz hasn't included me in his predictions. Is this because I haven't swam at all or cycled much in the past month?

I'm not sure your swim is up to speed to make that first gotri "pace" line just yet.....

I predict some more drafting penalties for the top 10 again this year.

Really hope bike marshals stick 1 or 2 to monitor the top 10 for this as it's National Champs and notorious.

1. - 10 metres is a lot bigger than some racers acknowledge...

2 - And 5 seconds to drop 10 metres back when passed is another important one, not make an extra effort to stay close that is drafting.

3 - If you can't pass in 20secs you are drafting.

I'm not sure your swim is up to speed to make that first gotri "pace" line just yet.....

I predict some more drafting penalties for the top 10 again this year.

Really hope bike marshals stick 1 or 2 to monitor the top 10 for this as it's National Champs and notorious.

1. - 10 metres is a lot bigger than some racers acknowledge...

2 - And 5 seconds to drop 10 metres back when passed is another important one, not make an extra effort to stay close that is drafting.

3 - If you can't pass in 20secs you are drafting.

Thats definitely too kind. Most would just say, "you're a sh1t swimmer".

• Advertisement

I would have.....before you became a mod worked so hard on improving your stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Euge how come no swimming or biking this month? do you like to suffer or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Euge how come no swimming or biking this month? do you like to suffer or something?

i refer you to this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90501833&postcount=27

Work. The last month has been spent working in Dublin, Caherciveen and Roscommon. Weekends have been spent in West Limerick, Sligo and West Clare. I'm wrecked from all the travelling (although I can't fecking sleep :rolleyes: ), and I've slept in my own bed about 4 times in the past month. All swimming as been races and biking has only been a fraction better. There was a couple of good run weeks, but that hit a brick wall a week ago as well. In the past 7 days I've swam nothing, biked once and "ran" once. If I could sleep I'd be at least able to say I'll be well rested. :(

Just getting the excuses in early :)

mossym wrote: »

I sand-bagged so much that day that I didn't even start the race on the Sunday. :pac:

I sand-bagged so much that day that I didn't even start the race on the Sunday. :pac:

indeed, it was one of the finest displays of the art yet to be fielded

so far fazz tells us that the race will be won by a swimmer and
    you havent practised the high elbow enough so no mention for you I guess.

Ok so I'm not as up to speed on the female competition, but will make a few guesses.

- Katie Cooke - won sprint champs so pace there, seems in good form

- Derval Devaney - won a couple races this year, in good form

- Carolyn Hayes - prob one of the faster swimmers, in good form

- Rachel Glendon - defending national champ, slow start to season but may be coming into form

- Vanessa Fenton - one of the faster swimmers, current form unknown

- Anna Crooks - doesn't quite seem at same level as last year but may just be a slow start to her season. Think she won Mullaghmore recently.

On paper I'd prob say the above will take up the podium slots.
    Any of them probably capable so depends who comes in with the best form and has the best day.

Others worth a mention:

- Marie Boland - unknown current form

- Marie Triona Keane - unknown current form

One to watch if racing, Eimear Fitzmaurice, 2nd at Duathlon champs and one of the strongest runners in the field. B2R coached now but has had a bit of an injury hampering the last while so not sure if she's racing.

Jen Duffy out with an injury unfortunately had a nasty spill off the bike, hope she recovers asap and get's back to it.

No doubt I'm missing a few but those are the names that stood out to me that I'm familiar with.

Entry lists avail here:
    http://register.sportstiming.ie/ps/event/LotterySignUp/PreEntries

Ok so I'm not as up to speed on the female competition, but will make a few guesses.

- Marie Boland - unknown current form

l]

On crutches, so unlikely to make much of an impression :rolleyes:. Eimear Fitzmaurice will def be one to watch in the future - saw her in one of the trim castle duathlons and she was very impressive. What about Joyce Wolfe? I think Katie Cooke, Rachel Glendon, Joyce Wolfe for the podium. Don't know what order.

I didn't see Owen on the entry list but then again as Pro this season he may have a preferential entry so certainly if he's racing yes could be up there in lead group to t2 you'd expect.

great stuff for the entrance list link Fazz, I saw that I am not on the list and based on this. i still think that Cummins is racing as i cant see how he would not do it after doing a triathlon last week
    If Thornton is not 100 % fit he would be my first pick to win.

• Advertisement

according to his twitter feed thornton's achilles is shot. may or may not be the truth but if it is would hurt his chances. between him and aaron if it's not i reckon

ladies, the go tri crew will be out to make a big hit on a local race, anna crooks and carolyn hayes to be there or there abouts

peter kern wrote: »
    great stuff for the entrance list link Fazz, I saw that I am not on the list and based on this. i still think that Cummins is racing as i cant see how he would not do it after doing a triathlon last week
    If Thornton is not 100 % fit he would be my first pick to win.

Owen is racing so I would stick him at the top of the pile now.

Agree with MossyM, I think Carolyn Hayes is the person to watch in Kilkee. Gonna go seriously fast in the swim, combine with a solid bike and a fast run.

With Owen racing, it must be said that there is huge quality in that men's field. Not many national level triathletes missing. Pity one or two of the top international boys can't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Anyone care to plug at the podium contingent?

Aaron O'Brien - had a good comfortable 2nd at Lough Cutra Oly, fish will be near first out of water, seems to have improved bike.

Kevin Thornton - 2nd last year to G Noble, Fish, likely to take lead on bike and then the juniors will try run him down?

Rory Sexton - probably a shoe in for NS title this year, fish, improved bike and run could push Kevin and Aaron over this course depending if Kevin's bike strength is enough to gap him.

Mark Horan - 3rd last year, seems to have improved a bit more.

I'd say the top 3 will be from the above and we will see how much the youngsters have improved their bike relative to the strong bikers, with the below as close contenders for the next few positions.

Colm Turner - in form or for fun?

Shane Scully - injuries mean nothing to this man.

Trevor Woods - in form, strong at all disciplines

Aidan Callaghan - in form, strong at all disciplines

David Richardson - fish there or thereabouts at the end

Matt Molloy - fish, strong biker, will be close.

From reading a local bike race report I see David Condon is in the country. If he was to race would he be up there? His 70.3 results in the US are impressive.
    Could be home on hols to be honest??

he would most likely be in the 2nd favorite group group as swim is to weak for oly disance but his bike is up there with the very best.

kevin thornton is out, achilles injury, he posted an update on twitter last night

in other news, lovely morning here in the SW, if we get a morning like this tomorrow we'll be singing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

think my first Kilkee is over. Can't shake the dreaded Man-Flu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

miller82 wrote: »
    think my first Kilkee is over. Can't shake the dreaded Man-Flu

He's terrified of ye Bryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Logicalus

For anyone registering...Note there is a speed camera in Moyasta halfway between Kilrush and Kilkee..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Owen is racing so I would stick him at the top of the pile now.

Agree with MossyM, I think Carolyn Hayes is the person to watch in Kilkee. Gonna go seriously fast in the swim, combine with a solid bike and a fast run.

Spot on from what I've seen of her

No mention of Caoimhe Ni Mhurchu, she was storming to Athy ahead of DD before cramping, fish also

Edit: I'll back Caoimhe for the win, adopted westie!

Advertisement