Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yes id say a similar amount last year...but the difference this year will be the quality of the wave which i think will lead to more congestion on the swim and drafting/pelotons on the bike.....past that it would be a cracking race to watch. Drafting imo is inevitable in Kilkee unless you do 8-10 waves by age group ,as with the long narrow country roads it is always going to be a problem.

true, last year was by age which split up the speed merchants.

agreed on the drafting, going to be hugely difficult to have no drafting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Race brief is out.

4 waves

Fastest expected finishing times entered go in Wave 1. 360 people. It will be carnage. Woohoo!!!

http://limericktriathlon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/HOTW_RaceBrief20141.pdf

Laughed at if they put you in the novice wave.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Laughed at if they put you in the novice wave.;)

Did you enter....

Not sure what time I put in when I registered, but in wave 2. Wanted wave 1. Teach me to lie in future.

BTH wrote: »
    Did you enter....

Yeah. I'm travelling but I really shouldn't be doing...no one would notice if it takes 4 hours given the increase in numbers, right? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

See ya there mrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

mossym wrote: »
    Not sure what time I put in when I registered, but in wave 2. Wanted wave 1. Teach me to lie in future.
    Where did you find out what wave you are in?

Trig1 wrote: »

I got an email today. Also in wave 2, race ye Mossy... :pac:

Trig1 wrote: »

got an email with number and wave today

I got an email today. Also in wave 2, race ye Mossy... :pac:

you're on:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bike course slightly changed according to briefing - "There is a small change to the bike
    course from previous years – please see the link below to course maps."

But when I click the map links, I see no change from previous years. It's the usual trip out and loop at the end to send you back home. Can anyone clarify?

the road along the seafront in kilkee was destroyed in the storms, and as far as i know has not been repaired. i presumed that was the change

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Logicalus

That's right mossy.. Road not repaired..

Will they send bikes up O'Curry St. instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Logicalus

Reckon we will be heading down the strand line and taking a right before the Strand restaurant and taking a left on to Gratten street and from there on to the Doonbeg road

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Logicalus wrote: »
    Reckon we will be heading down the strand line and taking a right before the Strand restaurant and taking a left on to Gratten street and from there on to the Doonbeg road

That sounds reasonable, saw a pic on facebook last week of the strand road and was wondering how they were going to route us.

cycled the route last night. few bad sections of road just after doonbeg on way out, sort where there was big pot holes and they just fired a few shovels of something into it making hte surface very rough...

also, still on the way out, just as you pass where you rejoin the doonbeg road on the way back, the left hand side of the road has subsided a bit, forming a lip about 3 feet out, not sure if that was always there or as a result of the storms

Lastly, after the right turn in creegh, the road is being resurfaced, immediately after the turn the road is currently the very rough chipping finish, although they have been set and are not really loose, whether is it finished by race day or not i have no idea. there are a few more resurfaced sections along that road but they are in a more finished state.

tail wind for the whole return leg last night. would be very very nice if the wind was the same direction race day

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Cycled the route today and the section that mossym mentioned above (just after right turn in creegh) is still unfinished, rough but not too bad if you are used to the bone shaker surfaces of the west.

Section coming out of doolin is quite bad though.

Roll on Saturday and lets see what the weather throws at us...

kchsligo wrote: »
    Section coming out of doolin is quite bad though.

I want an endurance challenge, but is there no end to their f**king cruelty? :pac:

topper75 wrote: »
    I want an endurance challenge, but is there no end to their f**king cruelty? :pac:

You realised it was a full 140.6 for the 30th anniversary right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lopesc

Has anyone else not gotten their wave allocation?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I got my wave allocation in an email a week ago along with race number and the race briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Anyone care to plug at the podium contingent?

Aaron O'Brien - had a good comfortable 2nd at Lough Cutra Oly, fish will be near first out of water, seems to have improved bike.

Kevin Thornton - 2nd last year to G Noble, Fish, likely to take lead on bike and then the juniors will try run him down?

Rory Sexton - probably a shoe in for NS title this year, fish, improved bike and run could push Kevin and Aaron over this course depending if Kevin's bike strength is enough to gap him.

Mark Horan - 3rd last year, seems to have improved a bit more.

I'd say the top 3 will be from the above and we will see how much the youngsters have improved their bike relative to the strong bikers, with the below as close contenders for the next few positions.

Colm Turner - in form or for fun?

Shane Scully - injuries mean nothing to this man.

Trevor Woods - in form, strong at all disciplines

Aidan Callaghan - in form, strong at all disciplines

David Richardson - fish there or thereabouts at the end

Matt Molloy - fish, strong biker, will be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

This one is a little bit too early for me. I would be happy to even take one scalp from the names you mentioned.

Very hard to call the top 3 from Kevin, Rory and Aaron. Think its Rory's and Aaron's first time doing Kilkee so if Kevin wasn't suffering from a slight injury I would fancy him to win. Might come down to the wire with Rory chasing down Kevin and taking it in the last km. My predictions are usually way off though!

I would expect those 3 lads to be a few mins ahead of the rest. The gap from the swim will just be too big for the rest and the 3 lads could get a nice pace line going up front.

Have you one or two scalps in mind Fazz?

I think any of the above filling the top 10 will be hard to beat at the mo for me.
    There's a few more challenging in there too like Barney McCullagh and Charles Maltha too, I'd expect positions 5-10 to be very close and hard fought.

Like you, I'm only coming into fitness and in fact using this race as an experiment to try help race into fitness.
    That and the fact I love racing and won't have another till Lost Sheep has kinda made my mind up that regardless of current form I just love this race too much to miss out.

Not tapering as I had a week off 2 weeks ago from bacteria infection so am still fairly fresh and need to train through this one.
    I don't really have any expectations to be honest, training has come together a bit the last couple weeks and early signs of improved fitness.
    Whether that's enough to challenge for a top 10 is another story.

Kilkee has historically beaten me up in the swim, so that's my first hurdle but one I'm hopeful of a better result!
    Then it will be an attempt at an FTP test on the bike and whatever is left so be it.

I'd agree with you the top 3 are likely to have a gap for the race. Aaron O'Brien had a strong bike in Lough Cutra, and Rory in Limerick so signs are there that they have improved and will indeed be ahead by a few mins into T2.

See you at rego.

I train with Barney in the pool and have a grudge match going with him. If he beats me I am retiring from the sport!

Training has gone well for the last 3 weeks but hand is still broken. Thankfully ribs should be fine. It's not easy changing the body from a cyclist to a triathlete quickly. Can't afford to taper properly for this either as only 7 weeks to Ironman.

Looks like being a north easterly wind for a change = wind on our backs on the way back to Kilkee. Need to work hard early on.

Better swim from you is key. Combine that with a 1:07 high bike and you have a chance of some scalps.

you staying down on Saturday night?

I train with Barney in the pool and have a grudge match going with him. If he beats me I am retiring from the sport!

Training has gone well for the last 3 weeks but hand is still broken. Thankfully ribs should be fine. It's not easy changing the body from a cyclist to a triathlete quickly. Can't afford to taper properly for this either as only 7 weeks to Ironman.

Looks like being a north easterly wind for a change = wind on our backs on the way back to Kilkee. Need to work hard early on.

Better swim from you is key. Combine that with a 1:07 high bike and you have a chance of some scalps.

you staying down on Saturday night?

Yeah booked in for Fri and Sat so if I feel I've had a good effort I may reward with a couple scoops... :cool: :rolleyes::o

Presume you will be about too?

should be down both nights myself. Good or bad, a few scoops too many will be had. I will meet up with you down there.

yup, was that way last week, fast run back in to kilkee....wind pretty much on your back after you take the rght turn back towards creegh after the golf course.

interesting until then though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mossym wrote: »
    yup, was that way last week, fast run back in to kilkee....wind pretty much on your back after you take the rght turn back towards creegh after the golf course.

draftfestinteresting until then though:)

FYP

Advertisement