Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Ireland 70.3 - Sept 2nd 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

[QUOTE=Here's hoping the new course is confirmed soon.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has as far as I can tell. Bike and Run sections are different according to the site:

http://ironmanireland.com/athlete-information/bike/
    http://ironmanireland.com/athlete-information/run/

Looks to be a lot better than last year, maybe this time we have a central transition this time across from Leisureland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

hootini wrote: »
    Looks like it has as far as I can tell. Bike and Run sections are different according to the site:

Looks to be a lot better than last year, maybe this time we have a central transition this time across from Leisureland?

Gonna miss that climb over Barna. I would have expected more from the run changes. It's going to be tight turning at Blackrock with 2,000 people on the course nevermind managing spectators along the prom. At least a lot of the little fecky turns are gone out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

hootini wrote: »

Looks like a faster bike course by taking the hill out.
    Good to see all the silly little turns gone from the run. Turning at Blackrock won't be any worse than turning at the end of the pier last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Still looks like rain !!

trihead wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions on accommodation from last year? Obviously its cheaper the further out you are but could be an issue in the morning with parking. Bikes are checked in the day before so you cant spin down:)

thanks

trihead

A good few athletes brought a second bike with them last year so they could cycle to the start area. There was plenty of parking available around Leisureland last year in the hour or so leading up to the race start.

• Advertisement

Swim is diff to last years planned dog leg nonsence

http://ironmanireland.com/athlete-information/swim/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Any locals know what the road surface is like on the bike course?
    Is it that much different?

Course looks almost identical to last year Fazz except from T1 through the city then out to the west like last year.

Return leg looks identical.

Fazz wrote: »
    Any locals know what the road surface is like on the bike course?
    Is it that much different?

Was driving out there last week and surface is ok. Will probably get a facelift the week before the race like last year.

Is going to be a good bit faster than last year which is frustrating. Won't know if any improvement is performance related or course related :(.

Naturally I'd claim performance related...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

mrbungle wrote: »
    Swim is diff to last years planned dog leg nonsence

http://ironmanireland.com/athlete-information/swim/

Excellent - as a fully paid-up left sided breather, this works out nicely:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

Does anyone know if that e coli problem in salt hill mean the swim leg may be cancelled?

Prob will rain right up until or close to event.

'The discovery of unacceptably high levels of E coli at Grattan Beach will not affect the upcoming Ironman competition, according to organisers and local councillors who have moved to allay fears over the impact of contamination of the water at the city beach.'

From the Galway Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

'The discovery of unacceptably high levels of E coli at Grattan Beach will not affect the upcoming Ironman competition, according to organisers and local councillors who have moved to allay fears over the impact of contamination of the water at the city beach.'

From the Galway Advertiser

If it doesn't happen this year in its entirety its a dead race, it probably is anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Last year, there were around 1275 competitors, and sold out if i remember right.
    Registration is still open for 2012. Any body knows how many are registered so far?

Around 1200, give or take a few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I thought everyone was saying numbers are way down on last year, doesn't appear to be if last year was 1250.
    The swim is the key, if it's shortened or cancelled the race is a dead duck.

I know its an obscene price but it is good for Ireland to have a branded event and even better that it's on the west coast.

I don't really understand why everyone says the price is obscene.

It's the same as every other IM 70.3 race out there.

Ironman races are more expensive again.

Granted, in general you don't mention paying more for a 70.3/IM as it's foreign and probably nicer weather etc.
    However there's also flight, hotel, baggage etc costs on top.

So when considering an IM 70.3 race, this is the cheapest one you are going to do as its on home soil and requires minimal travel/hotel time & costs etc.

Granted if its just about a middle distance race then more value is in Lost Sheep, Tri an Mhi or other local irish races.
    But that's not what the 70.3 race series offers. They offer pro's racing on same course, world 70.3 qualy slots, all the hullabaloo of a bigger race than a local ran one, and maybe a bit more hype.
    Did I mention closed roads and hopefully better marshalling standards than some of the local races also.
    In fairness last year and this year has Mike Aigroz racing. I think he was top 10 at Kona last year??

Last years entry was near 1,500 I think and yea this years looks like a 20% drop to 1,200.
    Probably very low numbers for an IM 70.3 race so it would be a shame to lose it imo.
    Only thing that could help it will be a full swim this year, and maybe a great race to attract more entries or perhaps better pro's for next year.

Glad I'm in for this anyway and looking forward to it and hoping for a full swim.
    Course looks like it should allow for it even if choppy as runs parallel to beach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

911sc wrote: »
    Registration is still open for 2012.

Anybody know how long more registration is open for? I'm still thinking about entering.

PWEI wrote: »
    911sc wrote: »
    Registration is still open for 2012.

Anybody know how long more registration is open for? I'm still thinking about entering.

Pretty sure it's closed and you've missed the boat I'm afraid.

Start lists have been sent out and the enter now feature on their site is gone.

It would be worth mailing them directly to be safe if you want to try and get an entry.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    It would be worth mailing them directly to be safe if you want to try and get an entry.

I did mail them to ask when entry was closing and the response I got was

"we are advising athletes to enter ASAP to avoid disappointment"

which was not the answer I was looking for.

Very useful!!!! A bit like posting all their info on FB last year :rolleyes:

I've had a word on your behalf ;)

Give Ronan an email: ronan (at) eandrevents (dot) ie and your entry will be sorted. You can pay on arrival.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I know its an obscene price but it is good for Ireland to have a branded event and even better that it's on the west coast.

Price is set by Ironman not by the event organisation on the ground.

Around 1200, give or take a few.

Glad to see similar uptake as last year.
    Looking forward to it. Hopefully weather will be on our side.

I've had a word on your behalf ;)

Give Ronan an email: ronan (at) eandrevents (dot) ie and your entry will be sorted. You can pay on arrival.

Thanks amphkingwest but I managed to successfully enter online earlier, it's still open. :)

I thought fcek it, it might be the last chance to do a branded event like this in Ireland. I also don't have the added expense of a hotel as my sister has
    a house out the Barna Road.

I also don't have the added expense of a hotel as my sister has a house out the Barna Road.

cool. how many bedrooms?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Was out on the bike course this AM, great conditions, course was lightening fast, yesterday it was a slog, the weather is everything out there.

Disappointed to see peacocks in Maam cross closed, was hoping to refuel there halfway into the cycle :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Just a quick question for Sunday.
    When I register on Saturday do I bring all my race kit and leave it in transition for the race?
    Is it just a case of goggles, wetsuit and hat on Sunday morning then?

Thanks lads....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Rawhead wrote: »
    Just a quick question for Sunday.
    When I register on Saturday do I bring all my race kit and leave it in transition for the race?
    Is it just a case of goggles, wetsuit and hat on Sunday morning then?

Thanks lads....

Bring everything bike, runners, cycling shoes etc (they go into seperate bags, and bike into transition, your start gear, tri suit, wetsuit, goggles , you bring sun morning

Advertisement