Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Ireland 70.3 - Sept 2nd 2012

Options
  • 28-10-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

And the date has been announced........Sept 2nd 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

i saw this event on tv and it looked good. The only bit i didnt like was the swim. How many laps of a pool would you have to be able to do in order to get by the swim part.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I dont see it on either the ironmanireland or 70.3 events site?

What's your source?

The date does make sense, wonder when entries open.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Email received today from Ironman Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+1 e-mail received as part of UK and Ireland IM.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OldieWilson

Any info yet on venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Any info yet on venue?

Id say it will be the same as this years one, well i hope they come up with something better with transition!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

norris wrote: »
    i saw this event on tv and it looked good. The only bit i didnt like was the swim. How many laps of a pool would you have to be able to do in order to get by the swim part.?

Course was reduced to 1000m which is 40 lengths.

Usual length is 1900m, so 76 lengths, but thats in a straight line, no waves, no current, no swell, 200-400 lads milling around you, ahhh, can't wait for next year!

Get to the pool, start open water swimming and aquathons next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Fazz wrote: »
    The date does make sense

Why? it is a Sunday, in the same way 04/09/2011 was on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi guys,

When will it be possible to enter?
    What's the best route to taking part.
    Is it possible to pre register?
    I intend joining my Local Tri Club in January.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 donmc

Great that the date has been confirm, was hoping it might be changed to earlier in the year to maybe try and avoid the bad weather. But great for it to be back in galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I got no email :(

Still not listed on the official 70.3 site http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3

But if it's going ahead I'll be at it again. My plan is to possibly do one in May/June, and then this one in Sept.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Would like to do a half towards the end of next year, and this got great reports, apart from the awful weather and the riptide. The swim would still put me off, the possibility of a cancelled/shortened swim was why I didnt choose this one this year.

donmc wrote: »
    Great that the date has been confirm, was hoping it might be changed to earlier in the year to maybe try and avoid the bad weather. But great for it to be back in galway.

In Galway for 5 years I heard.

Oryx wrote: »
    Would like to do a half towards the end of next year, and this got great reports, apart from the awful weather and the riptide. The swim would still put me off, the possibility of a cancelled/shortened swim was why I didnt choose this one this year.

Bad weather, riptides, swells, wind, driving rain, cold, sunshine all part of what should make you do any event.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mrbungle wrote: »
    Bad weather, riptides, swells, wind, driving rain, cold, sunshine all part of what should make you do any event.
    I wasnt saying I wanted california weather. :p But if I sign up for a HIM, and thats what Im training for, then I would like if at all possible for the course to be what I entered. All through the year there was talk here about the risks of a shortened or cancelled swim in Galway, and that is what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Kayak cancelled, mountain run and part of cycle at the Achill roar changed because of the terrible weather this year. It wasn't really an issue to anyone there. Safety comes first and everyone has to deal with the same course and conditions on the day.

I don't get the big deal tri people make over this kind of thing. Every adventure race is infinitely tougher than any tri/ironman and they are never the same so you just have to take whatever is thrown at you and get on with it. Quit whining and HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Kayak cancelled, mountain run and part of cycle at the Achill roar changed because of the terrible weather this year. It wasn't really an issue to anyone there. Safety comes first and everyone has to deal with the same course and conditions on the day.

I don't get the big deal tri people make over this kind of thing. Every adventure race is infinitely tougher than any tri/ironman and they are never the same so you just have to take whatever is thrown at you and get on with it. Quit whining and HTFU

Lol I can see the above being controversial - my opinion of Achill Roar going ahead was it was a commercial event and werent going to give back refunds. Fair play though you are the first person I have heard saying that race wasn't an issue - most people I talked to said it shouldn't have gone ahead in those conditions.

Most people in triathlon train to beat a time, particularly at the longer distances - just like a marathon. Would you be so happy if you trained all year for Dublin to get under 3 hours and were told they were going to have to reduce it to 24 miles due to roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I have to agree that the swim in Galway is always going to be a risk. It was the right call on the day this year.

I just hope they sort transition and the post race slop that they called food. They were my only 2 issues with the race this year. Weather is out of everyones control so no point stressing over that.

A nice day would be good though! :D

catweazle wrote: »
    Lol I can see the above being controversial - my opinion of Achill Roar going ahead was it was a commercial event and werent going to give back refunds. Fair play though you are the first person I have heard saying that race wasn't an issue - most people I talked to said it shouldn't have gone ahead in those conditions.

I think people seem to sign up for an adventure/multisport race and forget the "adventure" part of it, in relation to weather everyone has to deal with it so where's the problem. I enjoy the challenge of these and it's a real case of racing whatever the course throws at you. It's a discussion for another day though, maybe people are too soft nowadays. I turned up at an Irish cycling championship years ago to what was advertised as a 84 mile race and it ended up being 105 miles, it was just a case of having to do it.

catweazle wrote: »
    Most people in triathlon train to beat a time, particularly at the longer distances - just like a marathon. Would you be so happy if you trained all year for Dublin to get under 3 hours and were told they were going to have to reduce it to 24 miles due to roadworks

I understand totally in relation to the IM and tri distances but there was a post here previous saying that a tri distance can vary by 10% so it seems a bit foolish to be making a big issue about this when a tri in one location can be a totally different distance to another location and that's leaving aside the other variables like gradient, weather, wind exposure etc which will vary comparisons even more. At least most road races are certified so more valid comparisons can be made.

I am very easy going by the way, maybe that explains why I think the way I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Woah there Catweazle :)

The weather (wind) is Achill was tough but there was no question that it should not have gone ahead. I didn't hear of a single person who said it should not have gone ahead, be it boards or race party. The boards thread has 15 people rating it excellent and 3 rating it very good, out of total 18.

The lads who organise it are pretty sound so certainly wasn't the case that they weren't offering refunds as I don't think anyone asked. It was just crap weather and they advised people the night before that it might be cut short.

On the other hand, I was pissed off it was cut short. I came to race the full course. But you can't control the weather and I wouldn't like to see organisers out of pocket because of it. They were unlucky but they still put a good race.

I agree with Oryx in that I want to enter a race where it's going to be the full course and not canceled/cut short. Galway half Iron swim was always questioned whether it would go ahead so it's a valid reason for having second thoughts about it.

You can't compare tris with adventure races/multi sports. They're only as easy or hard as you make them. True, distances don't matter for the likes of Roar and GF, but a shortened swim in a 70.3 isn't a 70.3

I'm considering entering Galway but its the swim that niggles me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vinkerosin

Hi can somebody give me the link where you can register for the inscription?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can't really lump tri in as an 'adventure' race. It's not an adventure race. It has standard distances, where as every adventure race is different - so people have every right to 'whine', people are training for the distance in tri, you're really training for the course in adventure races. Shortened is a nice way to label the swim in Galway anyway it was almost halved wasn't it?

If you're going to put in the work required to train for a HIM you want it to be the correct distance, especially given the cost to enter it. Weather in Ireland and a sea swim is always going to carry a risk, you can reduce that risk by putting it on earlier in the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LOL - I think that adventure racing was the unspoken joke of multisports - people actually take it seriously? I see mediocre single sport and multisport athletes doing too well in adventure races for there to be anyone taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 donmc

Entries will open in the middle of this week via www.ironmanireland.com

tunney wrote: »
    LOL - I think that adventure racing was the unspoken joke of multisports - people actually take it seriously? I see mediocre single sport and multisport athletes doing too well in adventure races for there to be anyone taking it seriously.

In fairness that's a pretty sh1tty elitist condescending attitude for any athlete to have towards other athletes. You're just coming across as an ass here.

I presume you have always finished top 5 in everything you do. It's also a bit foolish to think that just because one person is mediocre at one discipline that the same will be true for every discipline they try. You do realise that every body and every sport are different, maybe you don't though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azaleski

pgibbo wrote: »
    I have to agree that the swim in Galway is always going to be a risk. It was the right call on the day this year. :D

Two important questions:

1. What is it with that swim? Why it is so dangerous?

2. Registration, registration, when?

IMHO orgs might consider starting the event later in the day. How about a decent lake in the neighbourhood? Maybe they are too serious about that 'iron' part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

azaleski wrote: »
    Two important questions:

1. What is it with that swim? Why it is so dangerous?

2. Registration, registration, when?

IMHO orgs might consider starting the event later in the day. How about a decent lake in the neighbourhood? Maybe they are too serious about that 'iron' part

Triathlons can start early for a number of reasons including the need to reopen closed roads and for longer races getting people off the course before it gets dark ( shouldn't be an issue on a HIM). For sea swims tides can also dictate start times. The Galway swim is a risk not because it's dangerous but because a seavswim is always weather dependent and in September the weather can be rough. A lake swim is almost always a more reliable option but finding a lake with enough space for a 2000+ transition close to suitable roads ain't that easy! If you're thinking of a HIM and the swim worries you I'd reccomend the Tri An Mhi half or the Humbert Challenge which both have lakes swims, less crowded course and cost a hell of a lot less to enter than Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azaleski

griffin100 wrote: »
    If you're thinking of a HIM and the swim worries you I'd reccomend the Tri An Mhi half or the Humbert Challenge which both have lakes swims, less crowded course and cost a hell of a lot less to enter than Galway.

I need one of these 35 slots to Las Vegas :D and although my getting one of them probably won't happen anytime soon :D I need at least to give it a try so my choice of event is limited. Otherwise I fully agree. This 70.3 in Galway looks quite tough on video, especially bike because of the wet road but I hope on 2-9-2012 the weather will be much better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

donmc wrote: »
    Entries will open in the middle of this week via www.ironmanireland.com

where did you see this? there is no notification of entry on the website and its still listing the dates for this years one.

I cant remember but when did entries open for this years one and therefore possibly would open for next years one also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

I got this reply today from Ironman
    Laura Beecroft, Nov-14 04:17 am (CST):
    Hi
    Thank you for your email. Entries for Ironman 70.3 Ireland will open on 1st December at 07:03 (GMT)
    To secure your entry please visit www.ironmanireland.com at this time
    Thank you

Laura Beecroft
    Race Office and Athlete Services Manager | IRONMAN Britain & Ireland
    [cid:image001.jpg@01CCA2B6.9D4E1730]
    World Endurance UK Ltd | Prama House | 267 Banbury Road | Oxford | OX2 7HT | United Kingdom

Advertisement