Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Ireland 70.3 - Sept 2nd 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 donmc

numorouno wrote: »
    where did you see this? there is no notification of entry on the website and its still listing the dates for this years one.

I cant remember but when did entries open for this years one and therefore possibly would open for next years one also

I got it as an email reply from ironmanireland last Monday. But I see this morning that the date has been changed again to the 1st / December.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

So on the 1st December will this more than likely be sold out in a couple of hours like other IMs ??

How much is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's if it opens on Dec 1st at all. Are they having problems with the organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

keith123 wrote: »
    So on the 1st December will this more than likely be sold out in a couple of hours like other IMs ??

How much is it?

Its not an IM so probably not.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

That's if it opens on Dec 1st at all. Are they having problems with the organisation?

Didn't hear that. Tell us more....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

EC1000 wrote: »
    Didn't hear that. Tell us more....

Just seems odd that it took them nearly two months to announce a new date and Ironman Ireland still isn't listed on the 70.3 events list. I have no idea what I'm talking about though - other than it's apparently 'more costly' to stage this even here than it is elsewhere. I'm just speculating really. :)

Just seems odd that it took them nearly two months to announce a new date and Ironman Ireland still isn't listed on the 70.3 events list. I have no idea what I'm talking about though - other than it's apparently 'more costly' to stage this even here than it is elsewhere. I'm just speculating really. :)

As far as I know this event was operated under a franchise model but as a WTC owned race run by the local lads. I know in the US WTC likes to run all races themselves and bought the rights back from NAS a few years back but in Europe I think are usually under the franchise model.

I did hear some rumours that the lads couldn't raise the cash to become a franchise and this only came to light later in the organisation for the 2011 event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This is what their Facebook says:

"E&R Events are delighted to announce that registration for IRONMAN IRELAND 70.3 2012 which will take place on the 2 nd of September in Galway, will be open on December 1 st at 7.03 AM. Last year sold out in 3 months so we are expecting an even faster take up this year considering that the event seems to have been well received. Thanks to all of those who took part and supported us last year we hope to make 2012 and even bigger success."

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Really hope it goes ahead as hope to us it as a target for the season. Would be alot more comfortable if it was on the official ironman 70.3 event list before paying though.

mush500 wrote: »
    Really hope it goes ahead as hope to us it as a target for the season. Would be alot more comfortable if it was on the official ironman 70.3 event list before paying though.

So from reading the above, there's goin to be a HIM but this wont be the official Ironman Brand?? If this is the case will the prices be in line with other HIM events around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Events dont always appear on the IM site for a while. Ive already seen some early announcements on a 70.3 in Lanzarote next Nov but it probably wont get all confirmed for another month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You know I would be more inclined to enter this if Ironman wasn't involved.

They put an astronomical overhead on the entry fee and you get very little from what I can see on top of the Lost Sheep or Swinford provide for a 1/3 of the money

I think the local organizers from what I have heard and saw on the day overall did a good job - would people depart in droves if it wasn't Ironman backed and was more competitively priced. Only a small few have any real ambition in racing it for the slots to Las Vegas

Of course the road closures, organization, volunteers, finishing straight etc etc need to be in place but with the backing of the local Triathlon club I would think its very possible. I stand to be corrected but I would be very doubtful if Ironman did much more than collect their race entry fees, make sure the set up was adequate and send over Mike Reilly (probably all expenses paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

catweazle wrote: »
    You know I would be more inclined to enter this if Ironman wasn't involved.

They put an astronomical overhead on the entry fee and you get very little from what I can see on top of the Lost Sheep or Swinford provide for a 1/3 of the money

I think the local organizers from what I have heard and saw on the day overall did a good job - would people depart in droves if it wasn't Ironman backed and was more competitively priced. Only a small few have any real ambition in racing it for the slots to Las Vegas

Of course the road closures, organization, volunteers, finishing straight etc etc need to be in place but with the backing of the local Triathlon club I would think its very possible. I stand to be corrected but I would be very doubtful if Ironman did much more than collect their race entry fees, make sure the set up was adequate and send over Mike Reilly (probably all expenses paid)

IMO a lot of people did the race because it was IM branded. Some even think they're Ironmen but that's a whole other can of worms! :D

IMO, the organisers did do a good job. A couple of minor complaints about the organization but for the first running of the event I thought it was well done. You get a lot more for your entry in the Lost Sheep. All you got for the 70.3 in Galway was a poxy bag. I can't comment on Swinford as I've never done it.

I honestly think if the IM brand wasn't there it would be a 300-500 competitor race at most. The brand attracts people. It will be interesting to see if it sells out again this year.

pgibbo wrote: »
    IMO a lot of people did the race because it was IM branded. Some even think they're Ironmen but that's a whole other can of worms! :D

IMO, the organisers did do a good job. A couple of minor complaints about the organization but for the first running of the event I thought it was well done. You get a lot more for your entry in the Lost Sheep. All you got for the 70.3 in Galway was a poxy bag. I can't comment on Swinford as I've never done it.

I honestly think if the IM brand wasn't there it would be a 300-500 competitor race at most. The brand attracts people. It will be interesting to see if it sells out again this year.

Which would have made the organisers more money 300-500 unbranded or 2000 branded.

2000 people in the first year race for inexperienced organisers was never going to result in a first rate race. They did well considering.

Still no convinced of the longevity of the event.

tunney wrote: »
    Which would have made the organisers more money 300-500 unbranded or 2000 branded.

2000 people in the first year race for inexperienced organisers was never going to result in a first rate race. They did well considering.

Still no convinced of the longevity of the event.

I reckon the unbranded would have this year but they are banking on the long game and making more money in the long run.

I hear you around longevity - especially with the swim concerns

pgibbo wrote: »
    I reckon the unbranded would have this year but they are banking on the long game and making more money in the long run.

I hear you around longevity - especially with the swim concerns

The fact that this may be unbranded, maybe they could move to the swim to another location. This might help rule out a shorter swim etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

The fact that this may be unbranded, maybe they could move to the swim to another location. This might help rule out a shorter swim etc...
    This is an ironman 70.3 branded event, they have the IM franchise for it for 5 years don't they ? ? ?
    Sure if it wasnt a IM branded Event they wouldn't be selling entries for €215 !!!
    Or am I completly off the ball here?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

€215 + 5% credit card fee = overpriced!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

holy sh1t!!! i thought it was €199 last year with no credit card fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Alternatively this equation also works

IM branded = overpriced

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I paid €625 incl fee for IM Austria. The Ironman brand is ridiculously expensive to enter.

Showing my age but as the TV show went...."Pass Africa 4" :cool:

Oryx wrote: »
    I paid €625 incl fee for IM Austria. The Ironman brand is ridiculously expensive to enter.

Was less than 400 in 2009.
    Was 450 in 2010

Roth, I'm told, was 370 this year

tunney wrote: »
    Was less than 400 in 2009.
    Was 450 in 2010

Roth, I'm told, was 370 this year
    One of the first slots available would have been 485 plus fee, but I didnt get one, and dont know how many there were. Its all about supply and demand, the popular races are more expensive (I checked). Challenge races are generally cheaper, all around the price of Roth. Would love to have done that, but by the looks of it it filled mega fast.

Anyway, this is about HIM. :) I entered Vitruvian Tri (middle distance) last year, it cost £115, substantially cheaper than Galway, but it is popular and fills in less than two days, normally.

Anyway, this is about HIM. :) I entered Vitruvian Tri (middle distance) last year, it cost £115, substantially cheaper than Galway, but it is popular and fills in less than two days, normally.

226 for a HIM which has a 50/50 chance of being a duathlon..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

IM races are ridiculously overpriced......however we, including me and at least 3 of the previous posters have all paid IM to race in its brand. If we keep paying........

I'm sticking with the cheap and cheerful this year......again
    www.hardman.ie

griffin100 wrote: »
    IM races are ridiculously overpriced......however we, including me and at least 3 of the previous posters have all paid IM to race in its brand. If we keep paying........
    Yup. Instead of an m.dot I plan to get a tattoo that says -sucker- :p
    www.hardman.ie.
    That race has been recommended to me a few times.

griffin100 wrote: »

www.hardman.ie

Paid, past tense. Unlikely to pay for a WTC event at present prices again. Just cannot justify the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Yup. Instead of an m.dot I plan to get a tattoo that says -sucker- :p

That race has been recommended to me a few times.
    Was looking at hardman.ie as my first time out over the full distance for next year. Cannot stomach the prices for the IM branded events (I saw IM Wales was £395 + 5% credit card fee)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Was looking at hardman.ie as my first time out over the full distance for next year. Cannot stomach the prices for the IM branded events (I saw IM Wales was £395 + 5% credit card fee)...

My opinion is that for your first IM a big event with lots of competitors and big crowds is great - you only do your first IM once and its nice to have memories of a big event and also large crowds and lots of other competitors can help keep you going. My first IM was IMUK whilst not glamorous was big and noisy:) Roth, Austria, Barcelona, etc would be great first time IM's. However the cost of the bigger events is just silly. Even going to IMUK cost over €1,000. Hardman was great last year, €150 or so and other than a few teething issues a well run race and a great day out. You wont get big spectator numbers, the road surface is crap in places and it can be lonely on the bike....but its cheap and based on this year was good value.

Advertisement