Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James McClean

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

I will ask again. Where has McLean suffered 'discrimination'? Abuse from the stands- yes. Discrimination? Get your head out of your ass.

So poor old James he is being persecuted and discriminated for his 'beliefs'? Right so. I wonder what the Rohingyas in Myanmar and the Uighars in China think of that notion.

Shall we petition the UN on behalf of poor old downtrodden James...:rolleyes:

Where has McGoldrick suffered discrimination, him personally not black people. He gets abuse online for Being black wrong obviously but where has he suffered discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nermal wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be insulting?

Do you think we should be embarrassed or apologetic for being small, white and monocultural?

Not at all. It is just stating a fact.

The fact that living in such monocultural society means that perhaps Irish people sitting in Ireland are not in the best position to discuss discrimination and racial issues emanting from the UK.

To be more frank: You don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Nemanja Matic doesn't wear a poppy and doesn't get abused for it.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    McClean has been getting abuse for years long before some of his twitter mistakes, he was asked why he refused to wear a poppy and he explained and has been getting abuse ever since, he did not originally bring all this upon himself as some have suggested.

it all started when he was picked by the Republic of Ireland for the 2012 euros, did it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Not at all. It is just stating a fact.

The fact that living in such monocultural society means that perhaps Irish people sitting in Ireland are not in the best position to discuss discrimination and racial issues emanting from the UK.

To be more frank: You don't know what you are talking about.

Northern Ireland isn't monocultural. Anything but. There are two competing cultures in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Where has McGoldrick suffered discrimination, him personally not black people. He gets abuse online for Being black wrong obviously but where has he suffered discrimination?

Both generalised and institutionalised racial discrimination in the UK is an undisputede and acknowledged problem.

As regard to McGoldrick personally you will have to ask him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I for one, feel great sympathy for McClean, the white, western multi-million euro footballer.

I for one, feel great sympathy for McClean, the white, western multi-million euro footballer.

Ah yes, money and skin colour means you are void of feelings, I forgot that.

I guess we should tell all of the former footballers who become depressed to look at their bank account and the mirror and tell them to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's such a shame that the premier league, football league and individual clubs allowed themselves to be bullied into the poppy on the jersey campaign by that right wing gutter rag The Daily Mail.
    Once you give these these types an inch they'll take a mile. And now, several years later Remembrance Day has been replaced by Remembrance month. You have ludicrous situations like clubs having these military services before games 3 or more weeks before the actual Remembrance Day itself, in October, because they have a few away matches the weeks after, and they're afraid of their lives at being called out by not just the right, but media in general who have bought into this thing.

The mail and their ilk didn't start this campaign as some sort of gesture to remember fallen soldiers. They did it simply as a way of quickly weeding out people like McClean to try and shame them and cause division, just to sell more newspapers to the idiots that buy them.
    I wish more players ands clubs took a stand against this because the poppy and remembrance day has been totally hyjacked by the right.

Acosta wrote: »
    It's such a shame that the premier league, football league and individual clubs allowed themselves to be bullied into the poppy on the jersey campaign by that right wing gutter rag The Daily Mail.
    Once you give these these types an inch they'll take a mile. And now, several years later Remembrance Day has been replaced by Remembrance month. You have ludicrous situations like clubs having these military services before games 3 or more weeks before the actual Remembrance Day itself, in October, because they have a few away matches the weeks after, and they're afraid of their lives at being called out by not just the right, but media in general who have bought into this thing.

The mail and their ilk didn't start this campaign as some sort of gesture to remember fallen soldiers. They did it simply as a way of quickly weeding out people like McClean to try and shame them and cause division, just to sell more newspapers to the idiots that buy them.
    I wish more players ands clubs took a stand against this because the poppy and remembrance day has been totally hyjacked by the right.
    poppy-costume-at-tranmere.jpg?w=720&ssl=1

Great for the textiles industry though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Talksport twitter had to disable there comments because of all the abuse mcclean was getting on the article a few hours ago. Nobody is saying he has been discriminated against near as bad as black players/people but his abuse is actually worse.

Have you ever heard why he played with Northern Ireland and then switched.

Read up and come back to us

i know why. what is your point?

Nokotan wrote: »
    Nemanja Matic doesn't wear a poppy and doesn't get abused for it.

That's true.

I think a lot of the reason Mclean gets singled out is because of the clubs he has played with and the clubs he plays against. Sunderland, West Brom and Stoke are very white and very working class towns with strong ex British Army ties. Thankfully in Ireland we do not have this whole 'class' divide like in the UK.

NI is a lot closer to home and more personal than Serbia.

I firmly believe that if McLean was playing in the upper echelon of the PL he would not suffer this abuse at all or certainly not the same level.

It tends to be small crappy clubs in God forsaken post-industrial slums that abuse him the most. Some of the most vicious nastiest clubs in England are the small ones.

As I keep saying he does himself no favours by reacting. Makes himself an easy target and the more he reactes the worse it gets- that's how bullies work.

I am pretty certain if McLean was playing at Old Trafford or the Emirates week in week out nobody would give two hoots.

they weren't bullied by the Mail, they chose to do it. There is not a single football team in Britain that did not lose both players and fans during two world wars. This is their way of recognising that.

You just don't understand.

A good example of how stupid people that have issue with McCleans stance on the poppy are can be found in the comments under every single tweet from the bbc, sky or whatever. ''Go back home if you're not happy with it''. ''Happy to accept being paid in sterling.....'' etc etc.. How to can you expect these people to have any understanding about why McClean does not want to wear a poppy when they don't even know where the UK begins and ends.

A good example of how stupid people that have issue with McCleans stance on the poppy are can be found in the comments under every single tweet from the bbc, sky or whatever. ''Go back home if you're not happy with it''. ''Happy to accept being paid in sterling.....'' etc etc.. How to can you expect these people to have any understanding about why McClean does not want to wear a poppy when they don't even know where the UK begins and ends.

That's what I keep saying. McLean trying to justify and explain himself to these morons is just pissing against the proverbial.

Waste of time and the more he does it the worse he gets. They want a reaction and he obliges every time.

Aegir wrote: »
    they weren't bullied by the Mail, they chose to do it. There is not a single football team in Britain that did not lose both players and fans during two world wars. This is their way of recognising that.

Some clubs like Man Utd initially decided not to, but let themselves be pressured into it.

There was respectful services at games before the poppy on the jersey thing came along so they never needed to do it. I understand perfectly what the mails campaign was about and the motivations behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Wearing a poppy means zilch if one is pressured into wearing it.

Twitter is a cesspool, full of people who just want to post toxic comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The people of Derry lost 14 people in 1972. Maybe it's you that has the problem understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Twitter is a cesspool, full of people who just want to post toxic comments.

Have to agree. Personally I think the place is full of so much strategically posted misinformation it needs to be shut down. The amount of fake accounts is frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

He is singled out for particular abuse/booing due to his Poppy stance. That is not discrimination.

Is he refused entry into shops?
    Is he regularly stopped by the police and frisked?
    Is he struggling to get a job due to racial profiling?
    Do people cross the road when they see him coming?
    Is he stopped by bouncers outside trendy nightclubs and bars and told "Not tonight"?

The above are examples of discrimination. I have not heard McLean complaining about such obstacles in his life.

Do these things happen to David McGoldrick?

Ultimately these 'fans' do not give a toss about the Poppy or Derry or even have any real political convictions.

Their primary goal is just to upset an opposition player and by getting under his skin.

Rock77 wrote: »
    Does these things happen to David McGoldrick?

See Post #100.

Odhinn wrote: »
    The people of Derry lost 14 people in 1972. Maybe it's you that has the problem understanding.

so English teams shouldn't wear the Poppy because of what happened in Derry?

See Post #100.

Ridiculous reply.

Your entire stance is that he cannot compare his abuse to the abuse suffered by black footballers because he himself has not personally experienced discrimination (as far as you know), yet when asked if those black footballers have suffered discrimination you shrug your shoulders and say, I dunno.

That is a farcical basis for your argument.

Edit: Your insistence on deliberately misspelling his name every single time, despite it having been mentioned earlier in the thread and everybody else spelling it correctly would tend to make people think you're on the wind up. Just, FYI.

so English teams shouldn't wear the Poppy because of what happened in Derry?

No, but there should be no onus on anyone to wear it.

Odhinn wrote: »
    No, but there should be no onus on anyone to wear it.

I agree.

What bit do i not understand?

I agree.

What bit do i not understand?

I may have taken you up wrongly. My bad.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous reply.

Your entire stance is that he cannot compare his abuse to the abuse suffered by black footballers because he himself has not personally experienced discrimination (as far as you know), yet when asked if those black footballers have suffered discrimination you shrug your shoulders and say, I dunno.

That is a farcical basis for your argument.

Jesus wept. I have said nothing of the sort. I have never said he has not suffered discrimination. I have no idea if he has...all we know it that he has suffered personal abuse because of Poppy stance and all sorts of bile flow from that. Fine. But that ain't discrimination.

My entire consistant point has been..and I will write it slowly: The abuse meated out to McClean (there you go...feel better?) from the stands and Twitter etc does not constitute discrimination.

Not saying it is right and in an ideal world it would not happen but it is personal abuse pure and simple but trying to inflate it into discrimination akin to what BAME players and sections of society generally suffer is downright ludicrous.

Posters who peddle that narrative really have not got a clue what they are talking about and have not seen real discrimination and bigotry.

Advertisement