Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Evil 2020 July 18th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Weepsie wrote: »
    In similar spirit to magicbastarders post earlier, people may be rusty, but I'm thinking for the downhills.

I did cruagh today and my turboing has evidently helped in a big way. I was more cautious than normal going down stocking lane though.

I've also reached the lowest weight I have been since I played minor football 16 years ago.

I've been doing myself a disservice on zwift

I think most of my training will still come from Zwift. I done a 100km about 2 months ago and I’ll try do another one before the Evil. Then I’ll fit in as many short days out as I can. Last year i was not feeling 100% on the day and had very little sleep the night before. I also only trained for it mostly on GCN videos using the turbo and although I didn’t finish it I still nearly had 200km at the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’ve been averaging 200km for a couple of weeks with turbo and outside stuff.

Did 310km last week. That was all on the a base of 3 months on the turbo.

All I need to do know is a couple of weeks of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

I think most of my training will still come from Zwift. I done a 100km about 2 months ago and I’ll try do another one before the Evil. Then I’ll fit in as many short days out as I can. Last year i was not feeling 100% on the day and had very little sleep the night before. I also only trained for it mostly on GCN videos using the turbo and although I didn’t finish it I still nearly had 200km at the end.

Great meeting you today Ken! Pumped for whatever route you have in mind for this year. Can rope in a few lads too who'd be up for the challenge.

Alexzont wrote: »
    Great meeting you today Ken! Pumped for whatever route you have in mind for this year. Can rope in a few lads too who'd be up for the challenge.

Likewise Alex. Sure it wouldn’t be the Evil without lots of the Tiernans crew. The more the merrier. Really looking forward to it myself.

Ok, so can we nail down the 18th of July for this?. That is four weeks away and I think just enough time to train for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Training? Nobody said anything about Training!

daragh_ wrote: »
    Training? Nobody said anything about Training!

Just a bit of training daragh. It is only a mini evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I just realised you put Cunard right at the end. That's just... Evil
    :D

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I just realised you put Cunard right at the end. That's just... Evil
    :D

That part is in my mind already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Met a chap from Tiernans on Monday on the Featherbeds, me in boards gear. His question on passing was whether I was doing the Evil. Seriously doubt it but got me thinking... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Wouldn't object to a later date to get in a bit more training but hope to make it on the 18th if that is the consensus. I've a funny feeling I might have posted something similar a year or two ago :)

smacl wrote: »
    Met a chap from Tiernans on Monday on the Featherbeds, me in boards gear. His question on passing was whether I was doing the Evil. Seriously doubt it but got me thinking... ;)

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wouldn't object to a later date to get in a bit more training but hope to make it on the 18th if that is the consensus. I've a funny feeling I might have posted something similar a year or two ago :)
    I was just about to send you a text saying your name was in the pot! :D

I think if we stick to the 18th the we will all mostly be in the same boat regarding fitness.
    I have only 1500 km done this year so not exactly in the best shape myself but I plan on trying have a good month now and peak at the right time.

Sure didn’t you and WA do the hill climb and then a 200km soon after it. No bother to you MP.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Wouldn't object to a later date to get in a bit more training

Don't listen to him, he's all over Strava these days!

colm18 wrote: »
    Don't listen to him, he's all over Strava these days!

😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sure didn’t you and WA do the hill climb and then a 200km soon after it. No bother to you MP.

I didn't realise the rate of inflation was so high since 2018 :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm still planning the 18th

Looks like I'll be away the 18th. If anyone wants to do it the weekend before hit me up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Edited for date. Which I though great, very close to my birthday and maybe some of ye will get me cake. Then I realized I'm working

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

517653.png

well, that gave me a chuckle.

517653.png

That’s the drinking time after

517653.png

That’s the drinking time after

517653.png

Is that your moving time? Looks like you are already to go this weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I may try this sometime between the 19th and 26th if I can get off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think I'm in, well I have an airport drop that morning so will be in Dublin so why not!

Is there an 'official' start time and location? Also anyone recommend somewhere close by I could leave a car for the day?

I think I'm in, well I have an airport drop that morning so will be in Dublin so why not!

Is there an 'official' start time and location? Also anyone recommend somewhere close by I could leave a car for the day?
    Usually we meet about 7 but I think this year we can leave at 8 as it’s only a mini evil. The meeting spot/start location is the Luas bridge in Dundrum so you could park many places nearby in estates or I don’t live too far away you could park on my road if needed. Lamb Doyle’s pub car park has been used by a few before I believe. Many choices around there.

We're going to be fairly restricted with food stops. Roundwood and Laragh are about the only places that will have a shop open.

I'm presuming that, if the Glenmalure Inn is open, it will be by booking only which won't be practical for us.

I don't fancy a day eating out of my pockets.

We're going to be fairly restricted with food stops. Roundwood and Laragh are about the only places that will have a shop open.

I'm presuming that, if the Glenmalure Inn is open, it will be by booking only which won't be practical for us.

I don't fancy a day eating out of my pockets.

Good to hear that you will be there on the day.
    I usually only ever use the shops or cafe in roundwood or laragh so I think we will be fine.The only other shop I know around there is the one in Rathdrum but we will be a few K’s from that.

Anyone been to laragh yet, I can imagine that spaces will be limited in the coffee shops there.

• Advertisement

....Anyone been to laragh yet, I can imagine that spaces will be limited in the coffee shops there.
    There's also the filling station. I use it when I'm not in the mood to be sighed at in the hippy cafe.

Advertisement