Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Evil 2020 July 18th

Options
  • 06-06-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

So as things seem to be improving in relation to Covid 19, whilst definitely not out of the woods yet, I thought that I would put it out there to see what the general felling would be towards the Evil going ahead at the end of July or beginning of August. More than likely, it would probably have been happening today in normal times.

Obviously a lot of things depend on this going ahead.
    1)No spike in Covid cases.
    2)Hospitals not being under pressure.
    3)Government advice and restrictions been lifted.
    4)Your own personal wishes to attend or not so no real need to come in and bash me if you do not wish on attending. Observations welcome though.

Personally I think that we are stuck with this disease for a while and the fact that the talk on vaccines has gone quite lately is more that a worrying sign of this.
    I know that I have followed all the government guidelines and still do, wearing a face mask and gloves when I go any where that there is other people outside my family so I am not taking this lightly. I did not venture more than 1 km from my house for over 6 weeks but its been great to get out on the bike the last few weeks within the 5km bubble or maybe just over it.

Anyway, the reason I decided on shortened version is due to the fact that I can’t see many people(me definitely) having the fitness for a 220km day out and if it happens in August, the days are already beginning to get shorter. If anyone is stronger at the end, more can always be added on with Kilmashouge and Ticknock all within reach of the finish. I also think that with a lot of training taken place on Zwift, this route would be manageable while a good test.

I have done the Evil with 2 people and about 12 max and social distancing is always possible during it and usually a requirement to finishing it.

Again, usual rules for the Evil apply.
    It’s not supported.
    Pints after it, most likely.
    No medals.

I’ll even supply some PPE and hand gel to participants.

Possible dates. 25 July or 8 August. The bank holiday is in between so some may venture off elsewhere on that weekend.

https://www.strava.com/routes/28364779

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Nice. If I'm around on either of those dates I'll tag along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out of curiosity, do you get to choose the summary of the segments on that? i notice that the biggest climb - the one up past bohernabreena - is not listed n the segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

daragh_ wrote: »
    Nice. If I'm around on either of those dates I'll tag along.

Great Daragh, dates can also be more flexible if needed but I think the date in July would give a better change of decent weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I am in so long as I'm not in work on one of those dates as I'm back to alternate saturdays.

Cue 2000 people showing up for it, and loads of them moaning about the lack of food!

out of curiosity, do you get to choose the summary of the segments on that? i notice that the biggest climb - the one up past bohernabreena - is not listed n the segments.

No, I just done the route and those segments showed up. I actually had to sign up to create the route. I wasn’t aware until a few days ago that Strava got rid of the free features.

• Advertisement

We've a thread on it. I subscribe to Strava, but much prefer Ridewithgps for planning routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Weepsie wrote: »
    We've a thread on it. I subscribe to Strava, but much prefer Ridewithgps for planning routes.

Is there a boards thread on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

I like the look of that route, I’m the other side of the country, but I’ll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can make in whatever day is decided!

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Possible dates. 25 July or 8 August....
    Damn - both work days for me. I'll see if can I get off.

ratracer wrote: »
    I like the look of that route, I’m the other side of the country....
    A very long day in the saddle then for you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Assuming hotels are open again I’m away on the 26th. Maybe back on the 8th

Would definitely be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

A very long day in the saddle then for you! :D

Getting there is only the warm up :)
    The cycle home after the pints will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

Can I ask a question? I've never done a race, sportif or audax.

What's the story with this event? All out race, every man for himself, time limit? How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The Evil is its own special event. A Boardsie decides on a route. Usually around Dublin/Wicklow. The route meanders around taking in some of the best/worst climbs in the area. There's a lot of climbing. There are no food stops, marshalls, goodie bags or jersies. Just a start point and time. There's a lot of climbing. You will be scattered to the four winds, so have the route on a GPS unit. No finishing line just meet in a pub for pints.

Did I mention the climbing...

cletus wrote: »
    Can I ask a question? I've never done a race, sportif or audax.

What's the story with this event? All out race, every man for himself, time limit? How does it work?

Everything namelessphil said plus there is no entry fee.
    We usually keep together for the first couple of climbs or at least till laragh first time around but obviously it comes to a stage when you could possibly be on your own so knowing the area is a plus.

Damn - both work days for me. I'll see if can I get off.

@WA and godtabh, we can also do it the week before if needed which would be the 19th of July. That would still give 6 weeks to prepare and for us to nail down the start date. I can imagine that most people will be flexible with holidays most likely cancelled this year for most.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’ll check later what dates I should be free but as I usually start very early (and only meet people when they pass me!) I’d just lick a date that suits the most

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chances are i won't get to join, but it might suit some people also to push the date further back into the year, because for many people, it's only tomorrow that they would get a chance to get near some hills, so might appreciate more time to get their climbing legs prepared?
    i haven't seen a hill on the bike in months.

... There are no food stops,...
    Just in case we frighten people off, what NamelessPhil means is that there are no organised food stops. You can stop and eat as often as you want in various places along the route.

• Advertisement

chances are i won't get to join, but it might suit some people also to push the date further back into the year, because for many people, it's only tomorrow that they would get a chance to get near some hills, so might appreciate more time to get their climbing legs prepared?
    i haven't seen a hill on the bike in months.

While I would like more training time myself I think 6 weeks will be ok as I’m sure everyone will be itching to get out now with the 20 km limit from tomorrow. We all know that August is usually a wash out and then after that the days get shorter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

We all know that August is usually a wash out and then after that the days get shorter.

Jaysus, give that man some prozac......

RobFowl wrote: »
    Jaysus, give that man some prozac......

Eh, did I miss something here?.
    But thanks anyway, I’m alright without meds.

.. August is usually a wash out and then after that the days get shorter.
    The days will be getting shorter in 2 weeks time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I'll keep an eye in here to see how things progress.

I haven't really used Strava of late so can you download the route without subscribing is the next question?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I doubt I'll be in any shape to do this but I'll tag along for a bit.

colm18 wrote: »
    I doubt I'll be in any shape to do this but I'll tag along for a bit.

as you head off in the sunset leaving every one behind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

godtabh wrote: »
    as you head off in the sunset leaving every one behind.

Think you're mixing me up with Colm_gti who used to frequent these parts :D

In similar spirit to magicbastarders post earlier, people may be rusty, but I'm thinking for the downhills.

I did cruagh today and my turboing has evidently helped in a big way. I was more cautious than normal going down stocking lane though.

I've also reached the lowest weight I have been since I played minor football 16 years ago.

I've been doing myself a disservice on zwift

• Advertisement

Looking at my diary I think the 18th is probably my best date.

Advertisement