Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tony EH wrote: »
    No. They are a reminder of history.

Good and bad.

they are a reminder of whatever aspect of history those who erected the statue wish to put forward. in this case it was "this is a great guy who did a lot for the local area". no mention of the bad side of how he gained his fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Statues and history are separate things. Removing a statue can't remove history, they reflect what you want to venerate as a society and can be erected and removed as time progresses.

Actually, it seems more the case that it depends who does it.

ISIS do it = bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/02/isis-destruction-of-palmyra-syria-heart-been-ripped-out-of-the-city

Trump threatens it = really bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jan/06/trump-threat-destruction-iran-heritage-war-crime

BLM do it = "Amazing Moment" (The Guardian's original headline)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/15/edward-colston-statue-replaced-by-sculpture-of-black-lives-matter-protester

I'm sure that there are some people who were actually directly impacted by slavery and fought against it and worked towards it's abolition. Irish people tend to be more familiar with Frederick Douglass because of his time spent here. Surely there is someone like him from UK history that you can put on a plinth
    I say this respectfully, but that point on Frederick Douglass in Ireland is quite the reach. He was here for a few months, he spent a year in Britain.

Lets not make like a British media outlet and start claiming foreigners as our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

CrankyHaus wrote: »

American revolutionaries do it =good I take it when they removed the statue of King George? And let's not forget those horrible Iraq people when they tore down Sadam's statue. I am sure you went against the curve and gave out about that? Or does the context of it suddenly matter?

But sure. Taking down a statue venerating (and people can stop with the, it was a reminder of the bad- no it wasn't, it had no reminder of the bad stop with the silly argument) a slave trader is the same as threatening to bomb historical buildings indiscriminately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I say this respectfully, but that point on Frederick Douglass in Ireland is quite the reach. He was here for a few months, he spent a year in Britain.

Lets not make like a British media outlet and start claiming foreigners as our own.

Who claimed him?

I merely said that people here would be familiar with him. I explicitly said the UK probably have their own equivalent of him. Not being a UK citizen, I do not know of any, but I am sure they exist.

Given that Ireland was not a hub of the slave trade, we wouldn't exactly expect to have had a history of people protesting here against it. So I can't think of an Irish black slave who tried to change things here 150 years ago. Daniel O'Connell did give speeches against the treatment of blacks in NY, but then again he has the wrong skin pigmentation for consideration were there to be some kind of statue here for that purposes. It is more likely that there were some such people in the UK. I do not know of any but I am sure that there were.

You can read my post again if you still confused about "claiming"

You can understand my post if you yourself know who Douglass was but cannot, off the top of your head, give an example of a UK "equivalent". Google doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Christy42 wrote: »
    and people can stop with the, it was a reminder of the bad- no it wasn't, it had no reminder of the bad stop with the silly argument

It not a "silly argument", just because you don't like it. :rolleyes:

There are many monuments and statues existing today that are reminders of bad things that have happened in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. They are a reminder of history.

Good and bad.

They're objects of admiration as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

They're objects of admiration as well.

They can be.

But not automatically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They can be.

But not automatically.

Yes, they are. This is not difficult.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It not a "silly argument", just because you don't like it. :rolleyes:

There are many monuments and statues existing today that are reminders of bad things that have happened in the past.

Yes. They normally contain some reference of the bad thing. This is a key and vital point. Yes we have made concentration camps into historical sites but they tend to have more to say on the subject than just Hitler built the autobahn.

If you want a monument to actually remind people of the slave trading past then leave up the blm statue.

A reminder isn't a reminder unless it has some reference (symbolic or direct) to thing you want to be reminded of.

• Advertisement

This is not difficult.

It really isn't. ;)

There are lots of statues and monuments around the world that remind us of questionable pasts.

If you want a monument to actually remind people of the slave trading past then leave up the blm statue.

When was Jen Reid a slave?

It really isn't. ;)

There are lots of statues and monuments around the world that remind us of questionable pasts.

Except in this instance that's a nonsense argument. They even tried to add some nuance with a plaque so neutered that the mayor had to veto it.

H. H. Asquith

When was Jen Reid a slave?

I didn't say she was? Don't presume to put words in my mouth. She was however protesting against a statue honouring a slave trader. You can't really protest a slave trader without slaves being traded. It is a bit more direct than "here is a bloke that gave us loads of dosh" which doesn't really do any reminding of slave trading.

You see the difference.

Except in this instance that's a nonsense argument. They even tried to add some nuance with a plaque so neutered that the mayor had to veto it.

No it isn't. Nobody was walking by Colston's statue thinking "There's that cool slave trader fella. What a guy".

I didn't say she was? Don't presume to put words in my mouth. She was however protesting against a statue honouring a slave trader. You can't really protest a slave trader without slaves being traded. It is a bit more direct than "here is a bloke that gave us loads of dosh" which doesn't really do any reminding of slave trading.

You see the difference.

How many of Colson's business acquaintances or competitors can you name? I assume he did not have a monopoly on the trade during his time.

How many families over there still have old money accumulated from that time? There are probably many.

You don't know who they are because the slave traders perhaps kept the money themselves. There are probably not statues or buildings named after them. Their descendants can conveniently ignore and forget the origins of their wealth while they look out of their country houses across their vast estates, patting themselves on the back for liking your one Jen's post on facebook and thinking "we're quits now"

No it isn't. Nobody was walking by Colston's statue thinking "There's that cool slave trader fella. What a guy".

because there was no indication that he was a slave trader.

The way the local council behaved suggests that they think he's worthy of veneration.

H. H. Asquith

How many of Colson's business acquaintances or competitors can you name? I assume he did not have a monopoly on the trade during his time.

How many families over there still have old money accumulated from that time? There are probably many.

You don't know who they are because the slave traders perhaps kept the money themselves. There are probably not statues or buildings named after them. Their descendants can conveniently ignore and forget the origins of their wealth while they look out of their country houses across their vast estates, patting themselves on the back for liking your one Jen's post on facebook and thinking "we're quits now"

I imagine Colston's descendents likely have the same thing? I don't know who any of the descendents are so they could do the exact same thing. They still have their wealth if it hasn't been squandered through generations. I doubt many know his exact line?

I really don't get your point here. Slave trading was not a cult of personality. It was a big business pursued by many who are all now dead (modern slavery is a different but still evil beast). I don't see the benefit to naming names but I do see the benefit of reminding us of our past. The blm statue does that right now. The Colston statue did not.

Did you want statues of other slave traders as well or what? I feel like I am misreading your post a bit because I can't see the point.

because there was no indication that he was a slave trader.

There's nothing on Cromwell's statue outlining his more egregious actions either. Or James's statue, who was the one time head of the British slave trade.

• Advertisement

There's nothing on Cromwell's statue outlining his more egregious actions either.

cromwell is slightly better known. but if somebody wanted to add a plaque to every cromwell statue that says he was a mass murderer i would have no issue with that. a lot of english people would probably object though.

I imagine Colston's descendents likely have the same thing? I don't know who any of the descendents are so they could do the exact same thing. They still have their wealth if it hasn't been squandered through generations. I doubt many know his exact line?

I really don't get your point here. Slave trading was not a cult of personality. It was a big business pursued by many who are all now dead (modern slavery is a different but still evil beast). I don't see the benefit to naming names but I do see the benefit of reminding us of our past. The blm statue does that right now. The Colston statue did not.

Point is that you can tear down his statue and remove his name from buildings if you want. And then in 10 years his name will be equal to other families whose names we are not aware of today- whitewashed from history and forgotten about. They'll still have their money.

At least your man Colston apparently shared his wealth around the town. So he deserved some credit for that. The business was probably a legitimate business at the time. It isn't a million years ago when the British had companies set up to exploit and control the Indian sub-continent. Maybe if enough people make a song and dance about your man Colston, then nobody will ask questions about those other things
    I am sure plenty of people involved in the trade from that time gave nothing to nobody. We only know Colston's name now because he did. The town shouldn't be allowed to whitewash where they go those nice buildings either!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

i get that its not really about her as an individual but rather the blm thing as a whole but it seems a bit shallow to me.

blm folk tore down a statue which was then replaced with a blm statue, what did they actually achieve? the latest flavour of the month or hottest hashtags dont generally get statues, feels like putting up a statue of Jedward in 2011.

The fact that millions of English racists are enraged by a statue of a female black BLM protester means it has served its purpose. They are being confronted with their racist beliefs and having to defend them.

That it was put up at night, without consultation and might not last there is largely irrelevant.

I like the statue by the way, it's impressive.

There's nothing on Cromwell's statue outlining his more egregious actions either. Or James's statue, who was the one time head of the British slave trade.

Making the slave trader into a summary of him being a very charitable guy is whitewashing history.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

whitewashing
    Please refrain from problematic words like these.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The fact that millions of English racists are enraged by a statue of a female black BLM protester means it has served its purpose. They are being confronted with their racist beliefs and having to defend them.

That it was put up at night, without consultation and might not last there is largely irrelevant.

I like the statue by the way, it's impressive.

Do you not think that there is a chance that there could have been another black female from the history of that town who might have achieved something more impressive than this one did in posing for a photo?

I assume there have to be many many examples.. If someone thinks that there won't be any then maybe they need to examine that bias themselves!

It would surely enrage those millions of racists even more if you put up a statue of a black woman who maybe became a doctor and started a hospital or one who invented something and used her wealth to help build a school or something. If they think black people are inferior, then you'll surely enrage them off more by highlighting a black person who objectively achieved more than they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think a statue of Boadicea would be nice.

biko wrote: »
    Please refrain from problematic words like these.

Why? That's exactly what it is. Do you object to having light shined on it?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Do you not think that there is a chance that there could have been another black female from the history of that town who might have achieved something more impressive than this one did in posing for a photo?

I assume there have to be many many examples.. If someone thinks that there won't be any then maybe they need to examine that bias themselves!

It would surely enrage those millions of racists even more if you put up a statue of a black woman who maybe became a doctor and started a hospital or one who invented something and used her wealth to help build a school or something. If they think black people are inferior, then you'll surely enrage them off more by highlighting a black person who objectively achieved more than they have!

The statue is not of that woman per se. It's meant to represent "a BLM protester" of no particular name. It's actually more of an art installation than a statue.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I think a statue of Boadicea would be nice.

You mean the person who was responsible for the massacre of every man, woman and child in Camulodunum?

Advertisement