Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think that's very much on topic, as it is a big essential element in any staycation. Don't know when this will be changed. On Sunday my hotel, in the grounds of Ashford Castle, phoned me to tell me the procedure for checking in and that I won't be seeing any reception staff, but a porter outside my car who will be processing it all and directing me to room. I was asked what time I'd like breakfast and to stick to it, also about dinner, but I had booked that online. I'm not going until next week. Next they will be taking advance booking as to when you will use the toilet :D

Same for pools in hotels.
    You are given times.
    No more just deciding, oh i think i'll go down for a swim.
    You have to know what time you want a swim at in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I think that's very much on topic, as it is a big essential element in any staycation. Don't know when this will be changed. On Sunday my hotel, in the grounds of Ashford Castle, phoned me to tell me the procedure for checking in and that I won't be seeing any reception staff, but a porter outside my car who will be processing it all and directing me to room. I was asked what time I'd like breakfast and to stick to it, also about dinner, but I had booked that online. I'm not going until next week. Next they will be taking advance booking as to when you will use the toilet :D

Thanks for your feedback :) On our booking confirmation, there was a note saying that restaurant had to be prebooked and a 90mins-105mins max stay, plus we have to book a time for breakfast. But I'm hoping that this is just a standard FYI notice for phase 3, and it will change before we travel, which is the end of Aug. Lol about the toilet booking, at this stage nothing would surprise me :eek:

jrosen wrote: »
    Like others all travel abroad cancelled. We dont like to holiday in Ireland. We have never ever been lucky with the weather. Too many rainy beach days and killing time.

But really feel like we all need a break.

Any tips on where to go that if it pours rain there is still some things to do with older kids? Anywhere ive looked seems to cater to smaller kids. Maybe staying in a house would be better?

The water, by the way, actually feels warmer in the drizzle. It's just miserable trying to get dry afterwards. I often swim in light rain. With older children/teens I might head to somewhere like Fermanagh lakes (is that a staycation?) where there are lots of self-catering lodges by the lake, some of them attached to hotels, and some where you can hire a day boat to explore the islands. There's the Marble Arch caves to visit, with its underground boat trip. There's forest walks, hill walks, canoeing, horse riding, tons to see and do. Another place I would favour for teens would be Baltimore in Cork, from where you can visit several islands, go snorkelling in the marine reserve of Lough Hyne, go boating, and you can charter a yacht with skipper for half a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Single and no family so usually do a few European and Stateside trips each year. I've shelved all my plans for this year as don't feel comfortable getting on a plane.

I've nothing planned but all of your posts are making me want to book a long weekend somewhere! ;)

Will probably head off with a few girlfriends. Any suggestions? Preferably somewhere with a nice spa/food/cocktails :P

Id say if your single and not teachers wait until sept/oct for a spa trip. Should get some good deals. In the past autumn time is when many retirees go on holiday. Many will be afraid this year and hotels are really going to miss that business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Problem is there is absolutely nothing else to do when the weather is bad.
    If you were in a hotel, you would have the pool.

Im not sure about how it will go this year but on rainy days in Dingle we do lots of things. The kids have fantastic raingear and we just go to the beach anyway. They are toddlers so they love it. In past years we would pay to go into a hotel swimming pool for a swim but not sure if that will be possible this year. The Aquarium is fab as well. Drive around slea head. Go into Tralee for a day or Killarney. Get take away from Dingle to eat. Wander around the town and get a nice coffee from BEAN in dingle. Drive Slea HEad if the weather is clear.

Obviously its better if weather is nice but a change of scene is wonderful too. We dont go to bars or restaurants much anyway so I cant say anything about that. I prefer when the weather isnt too misty and the views are visible but I've visited Dingle at all times of year and I love it.

• Advertisement

Another place I would favour for teens would be Baltimore in Cork, from where you can visit several islands, go snorkelling in the marine reserve of Lough Hyne, go boating, and you can charter a yacht with skipper for half a day.

That sounds fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Anyone have any recommendations for a part of Donegal and accommodation options for a couple and a 2 year old. Hotel would ideally be toddler friendly. Many thanks

fits wrote: »
    Im not sure about how it will go this year but on rainy days in Dingle we do lots of things. The kids have fantastic raingear and we just go to the beach anyway. They are toddlers so they love it. In past years we would pay to go into a hotel swimming pool for a swim but not sure if that will be possible this year. The Aquarium is fab as well. Drive around slea head. Go into Tralee for a day or Killarney. Get take away from Dingle to eat. Wander around the town and get a nice coffee from BEAN in dingle. Drive Slea HEad if the weather is clear.

Obviously its better if weather is nice but a change of scene is wonderful too. We dont go to bars or restaurants much anyway so I cant say anything about that. I prefer when the weather isnt too misty and the views are visible but I've visited Dingle at all times of year and I love it.

You are not selling it to me. :)

Thats not a holiday to me.
    Thats trying to pretend you are enjoying a sh1t holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭dubrov

JimmyVik wrote:
    You are not selling it to me.

They obviously enjoy driving and with toddlers, it may be a way to take a break in the day.

It doesn't sound great though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

dubrov wrote: »
    They obviously enjoy driving and with toddlers, it may be a way to take a break in the day.

It doesn't sound great though

As opposed to trying to keep a toddler out of the sun in case they get burned, or the danger of a swimming pool.

Every holiday is different

• Advertisement

As opposed to trying to keep a toddler out of the sun in case they get burned, or the danger of a swimming pool.

Every holiday is different

Indeed. We couldn’t do Spain or Italy in July/August. I wouldn’t do well in the heat not to mind the toddlers.

No hotel bars open until August 10th.
    Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

fits wrote: »

I'll be honest, sounds like a nightmare. Give me sun, sand and swimming pools and we are happy.

I'll be honest, sounds like a nightmare. Give me sun, sand and swimming pools and we are happy.

Even just a high chance of warmth and no rain.
    I wouldnt even care if it was heavy rain for an hour or two a day.
    But this constant rain where its down for the day or even week is the killer.
    And when someone mentions pack the rain gear .... well thats me out :) I call that an ordeal, not a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭votecounts

i wonder will the pubs not reopening put people off the idea of staycation, would put me off as one of the best parts of holidaying in ireland is going to a nice pub for a drink when the mood hits you, not this booking malarkey with food

And when someone mentions pack the rain gear .... well thats me out :) I call that an ordeal, not a holiday.

Well the world would be very boring if we were all the same :p

votecounts wrote: »
    i wonder will the pubs not reopening put people off the idea of staycation, would put me off as one of the best parts of holidaying in ireland is going to a nice pub for a drink when the mood hits you, not this booking malarkey with food

IT is a big loss alright. Wont affect young families much but all the same, not being able to grab a sneaky afternoon pint of guinness is a loss - for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

The lack of spontaneity is off-putting esp on holiday which is the one time you don’t want to be clock watching and rushing. I understand the world has changed and we have to get used to this, but I’d feel safer abroad eating and drinking outdoors than 2 or 3 weeks of forward planning as to when and where we’ll eat for a holiday in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Had a night away in a hotel in Redcaslte, Co Donegal recently & it was very dissappointing. Won't be rushing back to any hotel in Ireland while the covid restrictions are in place. Fingers crossed a vaccine is found....sooner the better...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I have a bit over a week booked down the Country, there is 48 hours free cancellation on everything. What I'll do is wait and see, Pubs is one element, general restrictions is another, and then there is weather. I'll weigh it all up before I go, but I'll have no hesitation in cancelling the lot. So Pubs (or Pints in the Hotel) for me is definitely a minor deciding factor, but not the only one, nor a major one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    The lack of spontaneity is off-putting esp on holiday which is the one time you don’t want to be clock watching and rushing. I understand the world has changed and we have to get used to this, but I’d feel safer abroad eating and drinking outdoors than 2 or 3 weeks of forward planning as to when and where we’ll eat for a holiday in Ireland.

I find that once it isn't a Friday or Saturday night then I've had no problems going out for a spontaneous meal or just finger food and drinks.

Weather is the biggest factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Had a few days booked in early August, still within Donegal but cancelled them last night after the news of the extension to Phase 3.

No point heading away when nothing will be open.

This summer is a write off. Maybe next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Even just a high chance of warmth and no rain.
    I wouldnt even care if it was heavy rain for an hour or two a day.
    But this constant rain where its down for the day or even week is the killer.

Sitting on the beach with rain gear on isn't a holiday for us. I work hard all year around I don't want to spend the little holiday time I get in misery but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Had a romantic couple of days away in a lovely little cottage with a private outdoor jacuzzi, we got lucky with the weather but I think we would have enjoyed the hot tub even if it was raining.

Very happy with the first staycation of the summer, next one is more weather dependent so we'll wait and see!

Sitting on the beach with rain gear on isn't a holiday for us. I work hard all year around I don't want to spend the little holiday time I get in misery but each to their own.

We went kayaking one day last week when it was raining.
    8km down a small tidal river. Great craic. Saw otters and seals
    Another wet day we went surfing - we were going to be wet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Hi lads, so it looks like We can't go to our home country for holidays due to quarantine enforced by employer not matter what goverment says.
    So what would be the best places to visit ? We're planning to take a week off and just travel across the island. We were thinking about Dublin Zoo, Belfast, Giant Causeway (I've presume there's no border checks due to CTA) and maybe a Wild Atlantic Way while traveling back from NI.

We're driving with a regular family SUV, 4/5 people and a small shiz tzu dog. Probably I'll be looking after AirBnB or Booking for hotels.

Any advices?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I am getting worried my holiday to Kerry won't happen now if we move back towards tighter restrictions. Anyone else? Please tell me I am being paranoid and they won't go there with the 20km rule again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Minier81 wrote: »
    I am getting worried my holiday to Kerry won't happen now if we move back towards tighter restrictions. Any else? Please tell me I am being paranoid and they won't go there with the 20km rule again.

We're in the same boat. Renting a chalet near the in laws, 200 miles from our house. I've been off work since March, and longing for a change in scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hi lads, so it looks like We can't go to our home country for holidays due to quarantine enforced by employer not matter what goverment says.
    So what would be the best places to visit ? We're planning to take a week off and just travel across the island. We were thinking about Dublin Zoo, Belfast, Giant Causeway (I've presume there's no border checks due to CTA) and maybe a Wild Atlantic Way while traveling back from NI.

We're driving with a regular family SUV, 4/5 people and a small shiz tzu dog. Probably I'll be looking after AirBnB or Booking for hotels.

Any advices?

There are no border checks currently. If you're taking that route, make sure to do more of the north antrim and derry coasts, then Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Minier81 wrote: »
    I am getting worried my holiday to Kerry won't happen now if we move back towards tighter restrictions. Anyone else? Please tell me I am being paranoid and they won't go there with the 20km rule again.

The km thing won't come back i'd imagine, wouldn't worry about it, will have to be regional based or specific businesses lock downed. It doesn't look like hotels/pubs/restraunts are responsible for any of the current numbers.
    Kerry's been very good it was just that house party screwed things up but it seems to be contained.

Advertisement