Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Check the likes of groupon for deals.

As a family of 3 we were meant to be in Turkey currently but it was cancelled.

Got 4 nights in Killarney at a 4* hotel in August for €80 a night bed and breakfast which I thought for Ireland was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

krissovo wrote: »
    I am actually looking forward to an Irish holiday this year, as a family we are all rigged up in our new outdoor wet weather gear, wetsuits for the beach and a chance to see our beautiful country again as a tourist.

It's fantastic, especially if you haven't traveled too much around, I highly recommend Cork, especially if you have kids, there's so many things to do and see.
    People complaining about the weather here, you need to make the destination the holiday not the sun.

TBH I love the sun, but it's not the be all and end all, there's plenty of adventures to be had, I love to feel like I'm away from it, the phone rings and I can relax in the knowledge that there's nothing I can do.

Personally I'll hold out until foreign travel is an option, I couldn't drive around Ireland without feeling like I'm in work mode, so wouldn't be a break, but that's not to put anyone else off, apart from the blatant ripoffery there's a lot to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

People complaining about the weather here, you need to make the destination the holiday not the sun. We are heading to a lighthouse, packing rain gear etc looking forward to walks around the area, cooking nice meals etc. Don't care about lying on beaches in the sun, that bores me to tears at the best of times.

Thats what I do every weekend, when the weather is nice.
    A holiday is different for me.

josip wrote: »
    I can relate to and agree with all of the above. I always looked forward to our 2 day summer holiday in a B&B in Ireland when I was growing up, even if it usually was to Knock :(

We were lucky enough to be on Dogs Beach during the cracking summer 5 years ago. Although the water was warm, the downside was that the sea was more of a jellyfish soup than sea.

And your point about the water temp is only valid for Aug/Sep Irish temps with the south of France Med in the May/Jun shoulder, not the other shoulder, nor any other part of the Med.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKfnN_51qA

And even then it'll be a bonus to have the sun shining in Ireland.

My light wetsuit, gloves, socks will mitigate against the predicted jellyfish soup. The little purple ringed moon jellyfish are pretty harmless but anything else is nasty.

I remember being perishing in Adriatic and South if France once or twice, also was chilly in Balearic islands, whilst one year in soupy warm water in Finland. The east coast around Dublin always has pretty cold sea in the deep water bathing spots, although the sun facing shallow waters of, eg, Dollymount, are warm.

I can relate to and agree with all of the above. I always looked forward to our 2 day summer holiday in a B&B in Ireland when I was growing up, even if it usually was to Knock :(

We were lucky enough to be on Dogs Beach during the cracking summer 5 years ago. Although the water was warm, the downside was that the sea was more of a jellyfish soup than sea.

And your point about the water temp is only valid for Aug/Sep Irish temps with the south of France Med in the May/Jun shoulder, not the other shoulder, nor any other part of the Med.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKfnN_51qA

And even then it'll be a bonus to have the sun shining in Ireland.

We only got holidays to relatives houses when I was growing up.
    I was 23 before I went on a holidays abroad.
    Nowadays I make sure I do several abroad every year, even if some of them are only for a weekend.
    But like now, when it rains in Ireland there is nothing for a family to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm in a Hotel in Meath for two nights. It's a little strange. Not only do you have to book for the restaurant but you have to book for food in the bar. Got down early last night and they wouldn't serve us a drink as we waited in the large lobby. Kicked out of the bar after 90 minutes BUT then you can sit drinking in the lobby for hours once you have had your meal. A lady can sit in a hair salon for 5 or 6 hours getting her hair done but 90 minutes for food. Makes no sense to me. You can no longer charge food & drink to the room because they don't want to be touching the bill you just signed. Instead they handle cash for each transaction. There seems to be no logic to the rules.

My advice is to wait until the next phase in July as there will be less restrictions. It was nice to have a meal & and a beer though

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Have a house booked for 2 weeks on west coast in August. We'd normally go to sun - aside from airport stress, it's just easier with kids - pool & beaches, packing a few summer clothes, eating outside (will miss it!) We will have fun in Ireland - just if weather miserable it's just harder work with kids. Not to talk of having to pack for 4 seasons etc! Though we all agree as a family the change of scene will be great & will force us to all get outdoors every day & we all will feel the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Thats what I do every weekend, when the weather is nice.
    A holiday is different for me.

So you wouldnt go to (when the times were good) say New York in winter time only on sun holidays, you are really missing out on life?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm in a Hotel in Meath for two nights. It's a little strange. Not only do you have to book for the restaurant but you have to book for food in the bar. Got down early last night and they wouldn't serve us a drink as we waited in the large lobby. Kicked out of the bar after 90 minutes BUT then you can sit drinking in the lobby for hours once you have had your meal. A lady can sit in a hair salon for 5 or 6 hours getting her hair done but 90 minutes for food. Makes no sense to me. You can no longer charge food & drink to the room because they don't want to be touching the bill you just signed. Instead they handle cash for each transaction. There seems to be no logic to the rules.

My advice is to wait until the next phase in July as there will be less restrictions. It was nice to have a meal & and a beer though

No logic in that at all. I think if they are going to let people sit “for hours” drinking at a holiday it should be in an outdoor area, ideally under an awning to shade from rain etc, maybe with patio heaters for cooler days & evenings. The authorities certainly didn’t intend what you say to be happening. They will need to find some way of authorising payments, maybe through a phone app solution, where the bill can appear on your phone etc.

A lot of islanders don’t want visitors this year, understandably if they feel it might increase the risk of their whole island community becoming infected as they depend so much in each other for ordinary living, with many double-jobbing to some extent. Otherwise the islands would have provided interesting experiences for overnights and day trips. Sherkin, Cape Clear, Heir, Dursey, Bere, Whiddy, Inis Mór, Inis Meáin, Inis Oir, Inishbofin, Clare, Inishturk, Aranmore, Gábhla, Inishbofin (Donegal) and in NI, Rathlin, are all ordinarily worth a visit. In ordinary times I love the 7 minutes flight to the Arab Islands, and of the pilot is dropping a passenger or two off at one island you can get a couple of landings and take-offs to enhance the fun experience. Sometimes I have been the dole passenger on board, and with a good strong headwind the pilot once demonstrated To me an almost helicopter vertical take-off from almost a standstill. I used to fly light aircraft in my youth, so he thought it would be nice to show me the aircraft’s capability with a light load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

A lot of islanders don’t want visitors this year, understandably if they feel it might increase the risk of their whole island community becoming infected as they depend so much in each other for ordinary living, with many double-jobbing to some extent. Otherwise the islands would have provided interesting experiences for overnights and day trips. Sherkin, Cape Clear, Heir, Dursey, Bere, Whiddy, Inis Mór, Inis Meáin, Inis Oir, Inishbofin, Clare, Inishturk, Aranmore, Gábhla, Inishbofin (Donegal) and in NI, Rathlin, are all ordinarily worth a visit. In ordinary times I love the 7 minutes flight to the Arab Islands, and of the pilot is dropping a passenger or two off at one island you can get a couple of landings and take-offs to enhance the fun experience. Sometimes I have been the dole passenger on board, and with a good strong headwind the pilot once demonstrated To me an almost helicopter vertical take-off from almost a standstill. I used to fly light aircraft in my youth, so he thought it would be nice to show me the aircraft’s capability with a light load.

"The dole passenger to the Arab islands"

I got a good laugh out of those typos.

"The dole passenger to the Arab islands"

I got a good laugh out of those typos.

De Eye Phone does be terrible for de typos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No logic in that at all. I think if they are going to let people sit “for hours†drinking at a holiday it should be in an outdoor area, ideally under an awning to shade from rain etc, maybe with patio heaters for cooler days & evenings. The authorities certainly didn’t intend what you say to be happening. They will need to find some way of authorising payments, maybe through a phone app solution, where the bill can appear on your phone etc.

A simple solution should have been pubs serving food can open but they can't sell alcohol. Pubs or restaurants should have been banned selling alcohol until all pubs open in a few weeks time. Government is ignoring advice from chief medical officer when it suits them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bladespin wrote: »
    For me, that's a staycation, holiday at home - not going abroad.

Actually, for me, that's a normal working day lol.

Do you drive the Paddy Wagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Another day in Donegal

Portnoo beach in the morning. Young lad had a blast running around
    Then a nice cycle this afternoon for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Do you drive the Paddy Wagon?

No but I pass at least one literally every day.

So you wouldnt go to (when the times were good) say New York in winter time only on sun holidays, you are really missing out on life?

I lived there for a year. I dont want to go back there in Winter ever again. Or Chicago, though the ice cliffs on the lake were pretty cool. Winter is over rated, anywhere as far as I am concerned. :)

One place I ever visitied in Winter, I would go back to in winter. It was beautiful. Beautiful in the summer too though, but different. Montana.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

We have a mobile home in Fanore in Clare and heading for 2 weeks at the end of July. Been going there all my life and love it.
    The beach, hills, sand dunes in the nice weather. Boardgames and reading if its raining.
    The kids bring a friend with them too... it helps distract from the lack of WiFi and phone coverage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Does anyone know a search engine where we can input flexible dates just to find the cheapest time to stay in a hotel in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Addle wrote: »
    Does anyone know a search engine where we can input flexible dates just to find the cheapest time to stay in a hotel in Ireland?

Booking.com is your best bet. Find the hotel then go onto the hotel website to book. That’s what I did and got a decent deal for enniscrone at the ocean sands hotel in August for 4 nights

• Advertisement

Booking.com is your best bet. Find the hotel then go onto the hotel website to book. That’s what I did and got a decent deal for enniscrone at the ocean sands hotel in August for 4 nights

Is there any campsites in Ireland where you can book a mobile home?
    Finding it impossible to find anything on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

bubblypop wrote: »
    Is there any campsites in Ireland where you can book a mobile home?
    Finding it impossible to find anything on Google
    Iirc Flemming's in Killarney do this and also a couple of places in Clare and Wexford whose names escape me at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Is there a time that’s cheapest?
    Winter months mid week, I presume?

Is there a time that’s cheapest?
    Winter months mid week, I presume?

Winter/early spring always cheapest and mid week. Not a fan of mid week breaks myself so tend to try and get 3/4 deals from a Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was just watching Irish tv there and an advert for a holiday came on, I assumed it was for somewhere in Ireland but it was for Malta.

should the Irish tv stations not be flooded with adverts for holidays in Ireland? I haven't seen any or heard many on radio either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I was just watching Irish tv there and an advert for a holiday came on, I assumed it was for somewhere in Ireland but it was for Malta.

should the Irish tv stations not be flooded with adverts for holidays in Ireland? I haven't seen any or heard many on radio either.

They need the advertising revenue so unfortunately you will see these

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

pgj2015 wrote: »

Advertising isn’t free...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Groupon might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Groupon might be worth a look.

Or escapes.ie

Advertisement