Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dodge wrote: »
    Advertising isn’t free...

The government should force RTE and virgin to show Irish holiday adverts for free. the ancient east, wild atlantic way etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The government should force RTE and virgin to show Irish holiday adverts for free. the ancient east, wild atlantic way etc

RTE lack creativity and innovation, the doors of the day's RTE had talent shut sometime in the early 90's.

Fortunately there's still archives on YouTube.

The time came in RTE when they started employing people who are boring, dull and all wear the same uniform.

The rebel's and arty type's were pushed out by the normies who do what they're told and capitulate to the chief whip and minions.

RTE had great characters who had culture, flamboyance and character now it's full of boring middle class school teacher or civil service types....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

bubblypop wrote: »
    Is there any campsites in Ireland where you can book a mobile home?
    Finding it impossible to find anything on Google

McCormacks in Fanore, Co. Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

There’s enough ****e on rte without subjecting us to that.

There’s enough ****e on rte without subjecting us to that.

a 10 second adverts about places to visit in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There are definitely adverts on the radio anyways.
    I heard one for Offaly last week.

People are booking and planning staycations. No big need to advertise?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Why? We know it’s there. They spend the big money advertising to markets abroad. The US and such.

Why? We know it’s there. They spend the big money advertising to markets abroad. The US and such.

yes but a lot of people are too lazy to google these places but if you show clips of how great these places are on tv it might make them book a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are some great deal out there, we got the Shelbourn on a Saturday night in August for 266 and a two-night BnB in a nice hotel in north Cork for 230 and its got a very nice spa swimming pool, going to do another two days in Kerry but haven't booked anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Europe in Killarney is worth the stretch, we went down for the weekend before lockdown, that was our last hotel stay. The templebar video appeared the Saturday night we were there, in fairness to Killarney a lot of the pubs closed that evening as they couldn't control the crowds.
    We were kinda hoping we'd get quarantined in there for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Have rented a house in rural Kerry for four days in August. I've only ever spent a night in Killarney before so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

should the Irish tv stations not be flooded with adverts for holidays in Ireland? I haven't seen any or heard many on radio either.

Why advertise? July is almost completely booked in the country. The weekend just in West Cork around Bantry and Glengarriff was jammed. All hotels were full and no vacancies for B&B's, even campsites are booked up to August. River cruises are also booked up.

krissovo wrote: »
    Why advertise? July is almost completely booked in the country. The weekend just in West Cork around Bantry and Glengarriff was jammed. All hotels were full and no vacancies for B&B's, even campsites are booked up to August. River cruises are also booked up.

That is good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry for being lazy and not reading the entire thread, but could someone throw out a few good portals for booking nice self catering accom in Ireland.

I know there was a recommendation above for Fermanagh Lake District, looks great indeed, but if I choose to staycation I will NOT be giving my money to the UK. Sorry bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Finish up work next Friday - had hoped to go away!

Looking now to head to 2 locations maybe - struggling to find something on Airbnb. Any other suggestions? Coastal is preferred.

Any good deals out there to be had?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Johann. wrote: »

Looking now to head to 2 locations maybe - struggling to find something on Airbnb. Any other suggestions? Coastal is preferred.

I am going in August, might be difficult to get something next week but think outside the box what about Louth its go some lovely beaches and great walking in the Mourne mountains or what about somewhere in NI, schools in NI dont finish till aroun the 14th of July so less family looking for accommodation next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Johann. wrote: »

What coast? How many nights? Budget?

Check out Lahinch Coast Hotel and Suites on Booking! http://www.booking.com/Share-cH26Tk

It's ok priced for 2, great location, nice hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Or escapes.ie

Seems to only cater to couples :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Booked another week in self-catering for mid August.
    Sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

We have changed our planned Greek holiday to summer 2021 (fingers crossed!). We are going to do a few days in west Cork end of Aug. Kind of off topic, but hopefully allowed, after 20th July, is the restriction of pre-booking a table in a bar/restaurant & time limit of 1 3/4 hrs going to lifted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭davepatr07

Yep already done a trip to Donegal. Mixed weather, a lot of driving but scenery worth it. Stayed in AirBnB cottage near Glenveagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was in the South East at the weekend. Hotel was lovely and they were working so hard to keep everything sanitised.

Hated the lack of spontaneity, the ability to walk into a restaurant or bar on spec, or even something as simple as having a drink in a hotel bar. Hopefully some of that will be eased in phase 4, I wouldn't be 100% confident that that will be next Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Went to Kerry a couple of weeks ago for a break. Weather was atrocious.
    Took a few drives around, but horrible weather doesnt make for a good holiday. Will staycation (in the house) next time if we cant go abroad. Too much of a gamble on the weather in Ireland.

And thats my third time learning that lesson by holidaying in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭fits

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Went to Kerry a couple of weeks ago for a break. Weather was atrocious.
    Took a few drives around, but horrible weather doesnt make for a good holiday. Will staycation (in the house) next time if we cant go abroad. Too much of a gamble on the weather in Ireland.

And thats my third time learning that lesson by holidaying in Ireland :)

Yes when it’s misty in kerry it’s awful. We’ve booked ten days in August hope it will be nice. We know our way around fairly well so hopefully it will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

fits wrote: »
    Yes when it’s misty in kerry it’s awful. We’ve booked ten days in August hope it will be nice. We know our way around fairly well so hopefully it will be good.

Problem is there is absolutely nothing else to do when the weather is bad.
    If you were in a hotel, you would have the pool.
    Bars and restaurants are great, but when you have kids with you that wears thin very fast. And those places are not the most craic these days either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Currently in Donegal and weather not the best but making the most of it. Village very quiet and plenty of NI registered cars around. I don't mind the weather if it stays dry it's the rain that makes it awful.Its not massively busy but over the weekend plenty of traffic, I would say mostly from NI due to the Bank Holiday. I've not heard any other world dialects.

Scenery is awesome and coastal route worth it however some scary roads. So after seeing most of the world good to see what Ireland has to offer.

Not as cheap as going abroad for eating out and almost Dublin prices
    Might be easier now to eat out midweek but we are in a self catering cottage with a 2 year old.

Plenty of hikes etc for those who are interested in that but not for us if weather not great.

Some sites restricted due to social distancing, ie no tour buses running in places like Glenveagh national park.

It's more for the break and relax the brain but I can understand those who travel abroad. Its an individual choice

RubyK wrote: »
    We have changed our planned Greek holiday to summer 2021 (fingers crossed!). We are going to do a few days in west Cork end of Aug. Kind of off topic, but hopefully allowed, after 20th July, is the restriction of pre-booking a table in a bar/restaurant & time limit of 1 3/4 hrs going to lifted?

I think that's very much on topic, as it is a big essential element in any staycation. Don't know when this will be changed. On Sunday my hotel, in the grounds of Ashford Castle, phoned me to tell me the procedure for checking in and that I won't be seeing any reception staff, but a porter outside my car who will be processing it all and directing me to room. I was asked what time I'd like breakfast and to stick to it, also about dinner, but I had booked that online. I'm not going until next week. Next they will be taking advance booking as to when you will use the toilet :D

Currently in Donegal and weather not the best but making the most of it. Village very quiet and plenty of NI registered cars around. I don't mind the weather if it stays dry it's the rain that makes it awful.Its not massively busy but over the weekend plenty of traffic, I would say mostly from NI due to the Bank Holiday. I've not heard any other world dialects.

Scenery is awesome and coastal route worth it however some scary roads. So after seeing most of the world good to see what Ireland has to offer.

Not as cheap as going abroad for eating out and almost Dublin prices
    Might be easier now to eat out midweek but we are in a self catering cottage with a 2 year old.

Plenty of hikes etc for those who are interested in that but not for us if weather not great.

Some sites restricted due to social distancing, ie no tour buses running in places like Glenveagh national park.

It's more for the break and relax the brain but I can understand those who travel abroad. Its an individual choice

Donegal is just fabulous. I find the driest area to be around the Rosses, in the region of the airport, where in the past I've had the pleasure to arrive by air-stunning approach. Aranmore Island, Gola, Tory worth visiting. Those islands are a bit drier and Aranmore beach provides lovely swimming. The rain starts in earnest when it hits the mountains.

I remember my first time flying in, was stunned by the view of all the islands, beaches & mountains. Upon landing I walked to the beach and had a swim, three minutes from terminal, then drive off in the hire car to my hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Like others all travel abroad cancelled. We dont like to holiday in Ireland. We have never ever been lucky with the weather. Too many rainy beach days and killing time.

But really feel like we all need a break.

Any tips on where to go that if it pours rain there is still some things to do with older kids? Anywhere ive looked seems to cater to smaller kids. Maybe staying in a house would be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lambchops65

Single and no family so usually do a few European and Stateside trips each year. I've shelved all my plans for this year as don't feel comfortable getting on a plane.

I've nothing planned but all of your posts are making me want to book a long weekend somewhere! ;)

Will probably head off with a few girlfriends. Any suggestions? Preferably somewhere with a nice spa/food/cocktails :P

Advertisement