Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

If it's with teflink, they email you a PDF which you can print and/or save to your computer.

To request a hardcopy costs extra I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CailinDeas33

Gemma88 wrote: »
    From what I've read in this thread there seems to be no advantage taking a CELTA, I know it's undoubtedly a better course but to spend that money for something that won't be of much help is just something I can't afford!

What are the advantages though? As I said I have a B. Ed and have over 20 weeks teaching practice, will it really benefit me much more than a TEFL course for almost 10 times the price? If it does I would consider saving up for it, but it seems awful unnecessary when the only requirement is a degree!

I probably will, but some one said there's 13 tenses in the English language:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I could probably name 6 at a push!

For the purposes of Korea, you will be absolutely fine with a cheaper course.

But I would wholeheartedly recommend CELTA if your finances could stretch to it. Just finished week one and is one of the most challenging/rewarding things I have ever done. It would be a real investment in your future (coming from someone who already has an alternative TEFL cert which is worth nothing compared to this) beyond Korea in the TEFL sphere.

As I said though, coming from someone who has taught kids in Korea, you will be absolutely fine with a lesser one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dlouise

That living social deal seems too good to be true! (Sceptic)
    Has anyone taken it up?
    Would it be as good as doing the equivalent with TEFL Ireland?
    Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

dlouise wrote: »
    That living social deal seems too good to be true! (Sceptic)
    Has anyone taken it up?
    Would it be as good as doing the equivalent with TEFL Ireland?
    Anyone know?
    I sent them an email asking them a few questions and this is the response I got;
    You don’t have to sit the TKT exam as part of the Scholar level 5 TEFL Course or to be able to use the qualification. You can gain employment without the TKT exam. By successfully completing all the components within the Scholar level 5 TEFL Course, you will gain your TEFL certificate.

If you wish to add to your teaching qualifications upon completion of the Advanced TEFL/TESOL Course then you can sit the Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT) that will give you a score of 1-4 from the Cambridge ESOL examining body. This is not compulsory however, simply an added option. More information on the TKT exams and fees can be found at this link: http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/tkt/index.html.

TEFLCambridge courses are geared for use in non-English speaking countries and can be used all over the world. If you would like to work in a native English speaking country, it’s best to contact a local language school to see what their minimum teacher requirements are, and to check that you can meet them.

All your exams are online and incorporated into your modules so that by completing the activities throughout your course units and modules you will be continually assessed. This means that you are progressing positively through the course and always heading in the right direction. There is no final exam as part of this course, so by successfully passing all components, you will gain your internationally TEFL/TESOL certificate at the end.

About the time you have to complete the course:

Our course is provided online and you can plan your study sessions as you want as long as you remain within the validity period (90 days). If you need more time you can purchase a course extension, but most of our students find it easy to finish the course within the 90 days period, just studying 1 or 2 hours per day.

Once you register on our website on your chosen course, you will receive an activation email with a link in it. Once you click the link then your 90 days of study time begins, you need to complete all modules and units within this time frame.

I hope this clarifies, but if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me and ask me as many questions as you need. :)

I wish you a nice Tuesday!
    Also, there's a lot more on TEFL/CELT/CELTA courses here.

Quick question, the first example is right but is the second ok?

1. She usually works with people but at the moment she's working with animals. She's helping animals find their owners.

2. She helps animals find their owners.

It feels like 2. could be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Quick question, the first example is right but is the second ok?

1. She usually works with people but at the moment she's working with animals. She's helping animals find their owners.

2. She helps animals find their owners.

It feels like 2. could be ok.

What's the context ? Are you looking from grammar correction or ?
    1 is present continuous, 2 is present simple.

I don't know if I'd ever say "helps animals find their owners" , it just sounds wrong to me in general. How are you helping the animal to find their owner ?
    Would it not be more correct to say "finding the owners of lost animals/pets"

Ah, I was taking it from memory. It's "She usually works with people but at the moment she's working with dogs. She helps/is helping their owners solve the dogs' problems."

Maybe I'm being a complete idiot but I think both are ok.. I told students that both would be ok because the class was 50/50 on the answer. But the assistant pulled me up on it pretty badly from a strict grammar point of view.
    My reasoning at the time was me thinking "I usually work as an accountant but at the moment, I'm teaching English. I work at this school."

Maybe it depends on the duration.. The passage is a description of a girl's life so it sounded like she could have been working with dogs for quite a while so temporary (cont.) and routine (simple) could both be used to say what she does.

I would assume that "she helps their owners" is the correct one. That seems to be the description of her now current position, which the previous sentence referred to...as in 'she is working with dogs' -> What exactly does she do ?

There isn't really much between the 2 though, that a foreign student would pick up on, is your co-teacher foreign ? what level are the students ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I would assume that "she helps their owners" is the correct one. That seems to be the description of her now current position, which the previous sentence referred to...as in 'she is working with dogs' -> What exactly does she do ?

There isn't really much between the 2 though, that a foreign student would pick up on, is your co-teacher foreign ? what level are the students ?

They're low level, she's got very good grammar and is the Head of English.. Sucks a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Just to weigh in on the course thing...if you have a B.Ed already then going the extra mile for the ACELS CELT or the CELTA might not up-skill you all that much in practical terms, but you should consider the longer-term view when it comes to qualifications.

As in, a lower-lever qualification will fly just fine in Korea (where, for all public school jobs, at least a 100-hour cert is now a stipulation, I doubt it's the case in hagwons), but if you have ambitions to teach abroad for longer in other countries, or just want the peace of mind and versatility of having a good course completed and not to have to re-visit the issue in the future, then investing the time and money in a more respected course now might be a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Just to weigh in on the course thing...if you have a B.Ed already then going the extra mile for the ACELS CELT or the CELTA might not up-skill you all that much in practical terms, but you should consider the longer-term view when it comes to qualifications.

As in, a lower-lever qualification will fly just fine in Korea (where, for all public school jobs, at least a 100-hour cert is now a stipulation, I doubt it's the case in hagwons), but if you have ambitions to teach abroad for longer in other countries, or just want the peace of mind and versatility of having a good course completed and not to have to re-visit the issue in the future, then investing the time and money in a more respected course now might be a better choice.

True. And having a CELTA also gives you more room to maneuver when negotiating salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So, the Korean housewife in one of private one on one lessons asked for a female teacher instead of me. The few classes we had went ok, bar the first one were the material was too difficult. Any reason why this would happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Orizio wrote: »
    So, the Korean housewife in one of private one on one lessons asked for a female teacher instead of me. The few classes we had went ok, bar the first one were the material was too difficult. Any reason why this would happen?

Is there a back story to this I didn't see? Are these off the books classes, part of your job etc.

Maybe she just feels more comfortable with a woman, maybe the lessons went OK for you but not her, maybe she wanted an American, maybe she wanted to imitate a female voice,could be any amount of reasons.

My job. No more back story to give. Just wondering if this has happened to other people before.

Orizio wrote: »
    My job. No more back story to give. Just wondering if this has happened to other people before.

You'll just have to ask your boss and let him know how well the lessons were going. I'm sure she might have given him a reason or excuse. It really could be anything and not necessarily a reflection of your teaching so don't get too worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

probably a good chance she is embarrased in front of men, especially while doing something she is not good at.

Sometimes women just want to study with women, there's most likely nothing particularly wrong with your teaching. She may just find it easier to communicate with another female and she might be able to speak more personally with one too.

You could ask your boss though, it's always good to get feedback as it will help you improve for the future.

Oh don't worry, if its something negative I'll be told about it. Of course it almost certainly is something negative, students don't switch teachers without a good reason.

Unfortunately I take students discarding me quite personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

How long have you been in Korea for? She could just want to change because you're a male and she's female. If you're older much older or younger than her as well it could be a problem for her as she wants someone with a similar life experience/outlook as her or feels embarrased talking to you about the things that she wants to talk about. It could also be something incredibly trivial like her husband doesn't want her to have a male teacher, or maybe she wants a different accent. I wouldn't take it personally unless she explicitly stated to your boss that it was a problem with your teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 slowly horse

I was looking at teaching ESL in Korea this time last year (I really want to get Korean fluency and save up some money to go to HongDae to study design after a few years). It didn't work out last year for various reasons but I'm looking to try again.

My recruiter last time was really suspicious as to why I would give up a good job in Ireland to go to Korea (I guess the stereotype is that ESL teachers only do it because they can't find a job back home) and I was asked about this in both school interviews. This year the above still holds true, however there is now a Korean guy in the mix which will also influence the location I'm looking for.

My question is whether mentioning the Korean guy makes me seem more or less suspicious...thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

I was looking at teaching ESL in Korea this time last year (I really want to get Korean fluency and save up some money to go to HongDae to study design after a few years). It didn't work out last year for various reasons but I'm looking to try again.

My recruiter last time was really suspicious as to why I would give up a good job in Ireland to go to Korea (I guess the stereotype is that ESL teachers only do it because they can't find a job back home) and I was asked about this in both school interviews. This year the above still holds true, however there is now a Korean guy in the mix which will also influence the location I'm looking for.

My question is whether mentioning the Korean guy makes me seem more or less suspicious...thanks in advance!

By Korean guy you mean boyfriend? There's no real reason for it to be a negative. If anything, you can spin it into a positive. If your partner lives there, you can use your relationship as an example of why you have an interest in learning more about Korea, so you can have a stronger relationship. Has he taught you any Korean? Mention it, and that you hope to improve your language skills so you can understand not only him but also your students so you can give them the best help you can.

Good luck with it.

angryangel wrote: »
    By Korean guy you mean boyfriend? There's no real reason for it to be a negative. If anything, you can spin it into a positive. If your partner lives there, you can use your relationship as an example of why you have an interest in learning more about Korea, so you can have a stronger relationship. Has he taught you any Korean? Mention it, and that you hope to improve your language skills so you can understand not only him but also your students so you can give them the best help you can.

Good luck with it.

Yes, well we're going to give things a go once I arrive there - we're in limbo right now. I already spoke basic Korean before I met him and improving it is one of the main things I'm looking to do once I'm there. I guess I was worried that mentioning a "bf" might make it seem as though I'm not actually interested in teaching and just looking for a way into the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If you're a male it may affect your chances. Homosexuality is still a very taboo subject here. Also don't say you plan on living with your boyfriend (even if you do) as cohabiting outside of marraige is also not a done thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

Brimmy wrote: »
    If you're a male it may affect your chances. Homosexuality is still a very taboo subject here. Also don't say you plan on living with your boyfriend (even if you do) as cohabiting outside of marraige is also not a done thing here.

Hadn't thought about the boyfriend/boyfriend possibility. If so, everything Brimmy says is true.

I'm a bisexual female, but this is an opposite sex relationship so obviously that's not going to be an issue - I'm aware of the taboo surrounding homosexuality so I will be on the way downlow.

I won't be living with the guy but should that happen at some stage I won't mention it.

Thanks for the advice guys ^^

If you're asked why you're moving, just say back home is boring. Not much anyone can say when you slate your own country. I say it and it works when students ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

Hello,

I'm in korea for a couple of weeks soon to test out whether I want to move there or not in the future. I'll be staying with an ex (her family home) for a couple of days so I'm looking for advice on a good present to bring her parents. I was thinking some waterford crystal or something and a good bottle of whiskey. Any other suggestions on a gift that went down well over there? I'd prefer it to be something Irish I guess.

Wow, fair play on still having such a close relationship with an ex that you can stay at her house abroad. Seriously, fair play, it's a nice change and nice to hear.

With regards to the present, if you are buying for multiple people, the BEST has to be given to the person of the highest status, the father I would assume.

I don't know if you should go completely over the top, as really expensive stuff might be seen as arrogant.
    But definitely some 'Irish' stuff that can't be bought over there, drinking is a big part of the culture here....maybe find out if they like whiskey etc, bring over a nice bottle of something too.
    Newbridge Silver do lovely pendants and broaches of Irish/Celtic designs

Anyways, best of of luck on your trip, I'm sure you'll love it. The country is amazing.

The 1 personal piece of advice prior to flying over I'd give you , is to spend a weekend learning Hangul, it will make your life a lot easier and the whole experience seem a lot less daunting and alienating if you can actually read (don't need to understand it) the language.

http://www.koreanwikiproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Learn_hangeul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Lucky! Boyfriends and girlfriends in a parents house is not common at all. Actually you're prob the first person I've heard. I know it's your ex but still!

Get cracking on some homemade kimchi and you'll be grand. :) ah just don't go over the top.

It is a beautiful country. People very nice. Where abouts are you going to? The language can be daunting alright. I was like an eejit trying to read it. Never really could but could understand and speak it enough.

Sometimes I wish I never came home :(

Wow, fair play on still having such a close relationship with an ex that you can stay at her house abroad. Seriously, fair play, it's a nice change and nice to hear.

With regards to the present, if you are buying for multiple people, the BEST has to be given to the person of the highest status, the father I would assume.

I don't know if you should go completely over the top, as really expensive stuff might be seen as arrogant.
    But definitely some 'Irish' stuff that can't be bought over there, drinking is a big part of the culture here....maybe find out if they like whiskey etc, bring over a nice bottle of something too.
    Newbridge Silver do lovely pendants and broaches of Irish/Celtic designs

Anyways, best of of luck on your trip, I'm sure you'll love it. The country is amazing.

The 1 personal piece of advice prior to flying over I'd give you , is to spend a weekend learning Hangul, it will make your life a lot easier and the whole experience seem a lot less daunting and alienating if you can actually read (don't need to understand it) the language.

http://www.koreanwikiproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Learn_hangeul

Thanks mate,

Whiskey it is! I'll get something small for the mother aswel when I get a chance to do some shopping at xmas.

Haha, not that great an achievement really. I should never let her go in the first place. She'd to go back and finish uni and I'd just got a new job and I think I made the wrong choice in hindsight. Still speak to her regularly enough even though she's forgotten half her English!:o

I know a bit about the culture, I lived with a few Koreans in Sydney a couple of years ago, so it shouldn't be too daunting hopefully. I remember a bit of the stuff I knew and have been doing a few hours at the hangul so I'm nearly there.

Lucky! Boyfriends and girlfriends in a parents house is not common at all. Actually you're prob the first person I've heard. I know it's your ex but still!

Get cracking on some homemade kimchi and you'll be grand. :) ah just don't go over the top.

It is a beautiful country. People very nice. Where abouts are you going to? The language can be daunting alright. I was like an eejit trying to read it. Never really could but could understand and speak it enough.

Sometimes I wish I never came home :(

Well I've three nights in Seoul and then she has to go back to work in Gwangju so I'll go there for a night or two. Then maybe snowboarding when i'm fending for myself. I have another friend in Gyeongi-do but I'm not sure if they'll be around or not. I probably have a few days to kill. Is Seoul worth staying in for long? I'm not much of a city fan and the weather will be cold so there's not much point in thinking about Jeju etc? I'm more of an outdoors/beach person. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Bungarra wrote: »
    Well I've three nights in Seoul and then she has to go back to work in Gwangju so I'll go there for a night or two. Then maybe snowboarding when i'm fending for myself. I have another friend in Gyeongi-do but I'm not sure if they'll be around or not. I probably have a few days to kill. Is Seoul worth staying in for long? I'm not much of a city fan and the weather will be cold so there's not much point in thinking about Jeju etc? I'm more of an outdoors/beach person. Any suggestions?

Seoul is HUGE. Some of the sites there are truely fantastic. I lived in the Daegu which is only the 4th biggest in Korea and after awhile was fairly handy getting around but the subway in Seoul is a different kettle of fish altogether. I was thankful I had Koreans with me anytime I was in Seoul! Nightlife in pretty good around there too. University places are the best. Best place is Hyundai (that's not how it's spelt but sounds very very similar.

I never got to Jeju :( in summer it is meant to be amazing. Winter is still busy but you don't have the weather and its meant to be extremely windy. Flights with Korean Air are very very cheap if that's what you want to do.

Mainland - beach wise is Busan but it will be dead this time of year, still some nice bars and motels about though! You have to chrck out the live motels!! Korea around November to March is freezing. I was in Seoul around dec and jan and sometimes it was hitting -18! Busan won't be anywhere near that but you won't be running off into the sea either. Still worth the trip though!

KTX is the way to travel from Seoul to anywhere down south. Need to book before hand too if I remember correctly.

Dont stay in Seoul too long as it very similar to other big cities in the west. That goes for the people too. Rest of Korea would be pretty conservative compared to Seoul. From Seoul you could also go the DMZ but no idea if trips are still going. It's depends really on the situation between north and south.

There's no doubt Korea is a strange strange beautiful country though.

Anymore questions just ask.

So jealous but I won't be missing that cold!! Do not underestimate the cold there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Just a quick question for any one who has come back to Ireland.

Have you ever got a smartphone unlocked here from Korea? Is it even possible? Obviously i can use it for wifi etc but it would be nice to have a full service.

Have you ever got a smartphone unlocked here from Korea? Is it even possible? Obviously i can use it for wifi etc but it would be nice to have a full service.

They use a different tri-band to us here so highly unlikely. Might get away with an iPhone though.

Don't quote me on that but I think that's the case.

It's a samsung.

Oh well! I'll just have to keep searching for wifi everywhere i go!

Yes, My wife and I got our i-phones unlocked. Yes it is possible, just go into your phone provider and ask them and they'll do it for you. Bring a Korean friend in your Korean isn't great.

quick google on samsung which again shows it is possible, just ask. As long as your contract is paid off there won't be a problem. - http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/167621-how-samsung-is-region-locking-the-galaxy-s4-and-note-3-and-what-it-means-for-you

He means getting it unlocked back in Ireland. Not getting an Irish phone unlocked in Korea.
    ekevosu wrote: »
    Bring a Korean friend in your Korean isn't great.

I'd love to see the face on 3 or Meteor employees when you start speaking Korean to them :P

He means getting it unlocked back in Ireland. Not getting an Irish phone unlocked in Korea.

I'd love to see the face on 3 or Meteor employees when you start speaking Korean to them :P

:-). Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I want to head over to Seoul to look for IT work rather than teaching work. I asked a woman over the phone at the Korean Embassy in Ireland whether it's possible to head to Korea and just apply to jobs and for my future employer to sort out my visa but she said this isn't possible, that I must sort out a job before leaving ireland. But Daesu on here and I spoke about it and think that is a load of c***. Teachers head over and find work. What do you guys think? Anybody done something similar?

red_bairn wrote: »
    I want to head over to Seoul to look for IT work rather than teaching work. I asked a woman over the phone at the Korean Embassy in Ireland whether it's possible to head to Korea and just apply to jobs and for my future employer to sort out my visa but she said this isn't possible, that I must sort out a job before leaving ireland. But Daesu on here and I spoke about it and think that is a load of c***. Teachers head over and find work. What do you guys think? Anybody done something similar?

Teachers do not just head over. They need documentation from the employer before they are issued a visa. The longest visa is 30 days without a working visa and when it comes to visas in Korea they are pretty strict. Teachers can head over from other Asian countries and do visa runs but that's a different story all together

Why Korea? Why Seoul? Can you speak Korean?! Surely there be easier and better paid countries? Just curious! To be honest I don't think I've seen a westerner doing a job other than teaching. I didn't live in Seoul so it might be different in the capital but I doubt it.

Edit: the only westerners I seen that worked there would have been bar owners but they were all married to a Korean woman.

Teachers do not just head over. They need documentation from the employer before they are issued a visa. The longest visa is 30 days without a working visa and when it comes to visas in Korea they are pretty strict. Teachers can head over from other Asian countries and do visa runs but that's a different story all together

Why Korea? Why Seoul? Can you speak Korean?! Surely there be easier and better paid countries? Just curious! To be honest I don't think I've seen a westerner doing a job other than teaching. I didn't live in Seoul so it might be different in the capital but I doubt it.

Edit: the only westerners I seen that worked there would have been bar owners but they were all married to a Korean woman.

I went over on a tourist visa (3 months), and got a job there and had my visa changed without leaving the country. It was an EPIC job so under certain circumstances (such as government jobs) it is possible. Most westerners in Korea are army or teachers but there are a fair amount of people doing other jobs, usually married to a Korean or sent by their company. There is also a looking for work visa but harder to get.

• Advertisement

ekevosu wrote: »
    I went over on a tourist visa (3 months), and got a job there and had my visa changed without leaving the country. It was an EPIC job so under certain circumstances (such as government jobs) it is possible. Most westerners in Korea are army or teachers but there are a fair amount of people doing other jobs, usually married to a Korean or sent by their company. There is also a looking for work visa but harder to get.

How did you do interviews and apply and stuff while there? That process can take up to 6 months. Lucky man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Teachers or people who want to teach in Asia or Korea can just go over there. It isn't necessary for people to be on an E2 while looking for teacher positions but it does help to have your documentation or job sorted before hand.

I plan to move over to Seoul to move in with my girlfriend. She works for Samsung. I read, write and speak Korean but only at a basic level and will be practising from next week over Skype with the Recruiter from AWS (Amazon Web Services) Korea.

I didn't think there were many other jobs that foreigners do apart from bar work, set up companies or work in engineering(Germans)jobs. But there are other areas that people are working in such as Web Development, Mobile Development, Software Engineering...and others.

Daesu, who is a contributor to this thread, also works a Mobile Developer in a Korean company. He managed to find me a company that I've applied for but they won't be able to interview me until I reside in Seoul. If the position was turned down I would like to go to some Meetup events or even to the Start-Up events to meet with potential employers. They don't all just speak Korean.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Teachers or people who want to teach in Asia or Korea can just go over there. It isn't necessary for people to be on an E2 while looking for teacher positions but it does help to have your documentation or job sorted before hand.

I plan to move over to Seoul to move in with my girlfriend. She works for Samsung. I read, write and speak Korean but only at a basic level and will be practising from next week over Skype with the Recruiter from AWS (Amazon Web Services) Korea.

I didn't think there were many other jobs that foreigners do apart from bar work, set up companies or work in engineering(Germans)jobs. But there are other areas that people are working in such as Web Development, Mobile Development, Software Engineering...and others.

Daesu, who is a contributor to this thread, also works a Mobile Developer in a Korean company. He managed to find me a company that I've applied for but they won't be able to interview me until I reside in Seoul. If the position was turned down I would like to go to some Meetup events or even to the Start-Up events to meet with potential employers. They don't all just speak Korean.

Why would someone who wants to teach go over pay for their own flight and pay for an apartment (which is huge key money) sort details over there. Visa run ( more money) and then start work? That's the most backwards thing I've ever heard. Sure if you didnt have your garda clearence youd be focked from the off. Sort it all here, everything paid and straight there and ready to start? Sounds easier to me!

I'm sure every company in Korea is predominantly speaking Korean! I've lived there, it's very rare that the older people in Korea can even speak English. Sure even all the major Korean companies hire English teachers. Serious serious money in that if you can find the right job with the right company!

Seoul is great, bit too cold in winter for me though. It was hitting -15 when I was there.

Why would someone who wants to teach go over pay for their own flight and pay for an apartment (which is huge key money) sort details over there. Visa run ( more money) and then start work? That's the most backwards thing I've ever heard. Sure if you didnt have your garda clearence youd be focked from the off. Sort it all here, everything paid and straight there and ready to start? Sounds easier to me!

I know people who have done this. If i ever go back to korea, i'll probably do this. It allows you to really figure out what a school is like before you commit to a year there. I will also never accept an apartment from a school again because it kind of traps you with that particular job.

Lot's of schools will pay for your visa run. Some times you can negotiate more money because they haven't had to pay for your flight. There are pros and cons but it isn't really uncommon.

I know people who have done this. If i ever go back to korea, i'll probably do this. It allows you to really figure out what a school is like before you commit to a year there. I will also never accept an apartment from a school again because it kind of traps you with that particular job.

Lot's of schools will pay for your visa run. Some times you can negotiate more money because they haven't had to pay for your flight. There are pros and cons but it isn't really uncommon.

I must admit, I was really really lucky in the school that I had. Always paid on time and newish apartment pretty close to everything and I only worked 4hrs per day :) heard some real horror stories though. Really felt for them with them being so far from home. I'd die if I found myself in one of the horror situations. Doubt ill ever be going back though :(

I must admit, I was really really lucky in the school that I had. Always paid on time and newish apartment pretty close to everything and I only worked 4hrs per day :) heard some real horror stories though. Really felt for them with them being so far from home. I'd die if I found myself in one of the horror situations. Doubt ill ever be going back though :(

Yeah, my first job was a dream but my second was a disaster! It really is hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

Hi there,
    Just a quick question. Im hoping to go and work in korea in a couple of months with my friend. However, my brother in Ireland is getting married in September. So im wondering is is possible to travel home on the one year working visa for a few days and will the hagwons allow us to travel back to Ireland for the wedding? Thanks

Hi there,
    Just a quick question. Im hoping to go and work in korea in a couple of months with my friend. However, my brother in Ireland is getting married in September. So im wondering is is possible to travel home on the one year working visa for a few days and will the hagwons allow us to travel back to Ireland for the wedding? Thanks

You can travel on the visa. A hagwon probably wouldn't allow you that much time off. You would need a good few days seeing as the flight is so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Hi there,

I did this without any problems. Your visa will be multiple entry, so you can legally come and go. You should mention it to potential employers as early as possible, just so you know it will be okay.

My employers were fine with my girlfriend and I leaving to go to the wedding, we originally planned to leave on a Friday and return the following Tuesday, however we changed the return flight to the following Friday, to allow ourselves some more time with family (especially as we had agreed to extend our contracts and knew we wouldn't see them again for a while), and also because our flight home was delayed and we didn't get back until the early hours of Saturday morning.

TL;DR -
    Legally, Yes.
    will your boss let you? Tell them before you sign that it's not optional.
    OOOOOOOR - wait until October to go out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

ok thanks for your reply guys...not going to wait till october so guess im going to have to get an employer who will let me go back for a week. :cool:

Advertisement