Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

@cloneslad (or anyone who has flown with Etihad)

do you know if the laptop bag counts towards the 7kg of carry on luggage?

should I pack bedsheets??

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

roosh wrote: »
    I'll probably see you there :)

I'm not sure how long it lasts though, my contract starts on the 26th of Ocotber, which is a wednesday, but I presume it is for a week alright.

Have you done the pre-orientation course? I'm doing it now - it's pretty basic but it's just a bit of nuisance

No, i haven't done a pre-orientation course. I'm going via a recruitment agency and neither they or anyone else emailed me info on that. i've read some blogs by folk who've already done orientation and some said it wasn't necessary to have it done.
    i think the orientation is a full week too.
    see you there. :)

@cloneslad (or anyone who has flown with Etihad)

do you know if the laptop bag counts towards the 7kg of carry on luggage?

i recently flew with etihad twice and they never checked the weight of my carry-on. however, your laptop is counted as part of your carry-on. now that i think of it, i've yet to have any long haul carrier check the weight of my carry-on.
    nice airline to fly with - good choice of in-flight entertainment and the food is a lot better than most.

No, i haven't done a pre-orientation course. I'm going via a recruitment agency and neither they or anyone else emailed me info on that. i've read some blogs by folk who've already done orientation and some said it wasn't necessary to have it done.
    i think the orientation is a full week too.
    see you there. :)

just asking, but is it the EPIK orientation you're doing (I'm presuming it is). I applied through a recruiter and I can't remember if they said anything about it (think they mentioned it alright) but it was on the information sheet attached to the contract. There is a thing on it where it records "attendance" i.e. what has been done, but I'm not sure if they actually check it.

I can send you on the link if you want it, but if you don't want to bother and they say that it is needed I can try and go through the answers with you, over there - depending on how much I can remember.

The orientation is a full week, but I think it runs over the weekend; that's going solely on my contract start date.

• Advertisement

i recently flew with etihad twice and they never checked the weight of my carry-on. however, your laptop is counted as part of your carry-on. now that i think of it, i've yet to have any long haul carrier check the weight of my carry-on.
    nice airline to fly with - good choice of in-flight entertainment and the food is a lot better than most.

just re-checked the Etihad website and the laptop bag is an addition to the 7kg allowance - good job bcos I've a pretty big laptop bag and I'll be bringing notes and a few books in there too.

just re-checked the Etihad website and the laptop bag is an addition to the 7kg allowance - good job bcos I've a pretty big laptop bag and I'll be bringing notes and a few books in there too.

Cool :)

just asking, but is it the EPIK orientation you're doing (I'm presuming it is). I applied through a recruiter and I can't remember if they said anything about it (think they mentioned it alright) but it was on the information sheet attached to the contract. There is a thing on it where it records "attendance" i.e. what has been done, but I'm not sure if they actually check it.

I can send you on the link if you want it, but if you don't want to bother and they say that it is needed I can try and go through the answers with you, over there - depending on how much I can remember.

The orientation is a full week, but I think it runs over the weekend; that's going solely on my contract start date.

Yeah, it is the EPIK orientation that I'm attending.
    Could you send me that link pls? I'd better take a look at it.
    Thanks.

Yeah, the orientation runs over the weekend - according to some blogs that i read.

Yeah, it is the EPIK orientation that I'm attending.
    Could you send me that link pls? I'd better take a look at it.
    Thanks.

Yeah, the orientation runs over the weekend - according to some blogs that i read.

here is the link.

EPIK were supposed to email out a password for it, but I never got one; but if you click the ID/PW you can do a password request (as though you've forgotten it) and it will be emailed to you there and then. The email address is just the one that you put down on the EPIK application form.

There are about 17 tests and the first 5, that I've done, the video lessons have been 15-20mins long; but the questions have been pretty simple (having watched the video clips mind); but, if it looks like it might take too long, it might be worth skipping to the quiz section and just googling the answers.

You do have to spend a minimum of 15mins doing the lessons though.

Again, I'm not sure if they'll actually check to see if you have it done or not, so I wouldn't be too panicked; if it is necessary, I'm sure they'll just allow us to do it during the orientation.

Actually just thinking about it, I think it said somewhere, either that it had to be done by December, or that it would be available to do til December - can't remember which.

for anyone flying with Etihad, or looking to book a flight with Etihad, make sure and register with their loyalty program; as of the 9th of October this year you get an extra 5kg [checked] baggage allowance, so it's 28kg as opposed to 23.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ekevosu wrote: »
    I'm in elementary and our winter holidays are from 28th December till feb 6th or 8th or something. As you're in gangwon you'll have three weeks to take during that time and probably do a camp or two the rest of the time. For the public schools here in my county anyway you must take the holidays in blocks, not a couple od days here and there. Also if you take a week where there happens to be a public holiday, that will count as one of your days so beware.

Who told you that?

Public contracts state annual leave in terms of days, not weeks. If your school deducted a public holiday from your annual leave, they shouldn't have and you are entitled to it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

kraggy wrote: »
    Who told you that?

Public contracts state annual leave in terms of days, not weeks. If your school deducted a public holiday from your annual leave, they shouldn't have and you are entitled to it back.

We were told by coteacher, foreign co-ordinator and county education office head. The other foreign teacher in my school worked in Seoul so he was under the same impression as you but it's different here in gangwon (or maybe just my county). Gangwon EPIK have 35 days including Saturdays and Sundays. I'll check the wording on the contract exactly but the wording is ambiguous. It's the same with the Korean teachers. All the foreign teachers around since last year or before have always had it that way.

ekevosu wrote: »
    We were told by coteacher, foreign co-ordinator and county education office head. The other foreign teacher in my school worked in Seoul so he was under the same impression as you but it's different here in gangwon (or maybe just my county). Gangwon EPIK have 35 days including Saturdays and Sundays. I'll check the wording on the contract exactly but the wording is ambiguous. It's the same with the Korean teachers. All the foreign teachers around since last year or before have always had it that way.

hey ekevosu, what do you reckon my chances would be of getting time off around the 31st of August next year? I'd probably need the friday and the monday off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

should I pack bedsheets??

I did. I'm glad I did too.... :) Can't get bed sheets as funky looking as mine out here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

How did everyone enjoy the AGG's? I had a blast. Was hanging around with the Mongolian team for a good while and the Dokdo pirates were a mad laugh. :)

I even got to meet Eamon Gilmore at the opening :D

It was a great laugh! The Wolfhound on Sunday night was nuts! The banquet wasn't half bad either.

It was a great laugh! The Wolfhound on Sunday night was nuts! The banquet wasn't half bad either.

Yeah? I was supposed to go to the closing and Wolfhound with the Mongolian team but they left before I got there.... :( Hung out with some of the Daegu team and went home!

The opening ceremony was great. My brother met a load of his friends from the teams he played with, and they even asked him to play! :D Met a girl that my sister was good friends with year ago...totally random! :) Love how the world is so small sometimes!

You two are starting mid-semester with EPIK, yeah? I presume your contract finishes next August?

Just wondering if your recruiters told you that you'll have to sign a second contract (6 months) when your initial contract finishes next August to get the flight allowance and contract completion bonus? i.e. you'll have to work til February 28th 2013 to get them.

My recruiter never told me. I found out by accident just as I was signing the contracts and sending them back. So my initial contract is for 10 months and I'll have to sign for another 6 months to get the extras. I was livid when I found out!

Having said that, it could have been worse. I know a Canadian girl here who started just 1 day late and they made her sign another 6 month contract to get the extra benefits. So she had to work 18 months to get everything. Talk about cruel..

here is the link.

EPIK were supposed to email out a password for it, but I never got one; but if you click the ID/PW you can do a password request (as though you've forgotten it) and it will be emailed to you there and then. The email address is just the one that you put down on the EPIK application form.

There are about 17 tests and the first 5, that I've done, the video lessons have been 15-20mins long; but the questions have been pretty simple (having watched the video clips mind); but, if it looks like it might take too long, it might be worth skipping to the quiz section and just googling the answers.

You do have to spend a minimum of 15mins doing the lessons though.

Again, I'm not sure if they'll actually check to see if you have it done or not, so I wouldn't be too panicked; if it is necessary, I'm sure they'll just allow us to do it during the orientation.

Actually just thinking about it, I think it said somewhere, either that it had to be done by December, or that it would be available to do til December - can't remember which.

Thanks for all the info. I tried to access this but I couldn't get in. I'll wait and see what happens at orientation i think.

You two are starting mid-semester with EPIK, yeah? I presume your contract finishes next August?

Just wondering if your recruiters told you that you'll have to sign a second contract (6 months) when your initial contract finishes next August to get the flight allowance and contract completion bonus? i.e. you'll have to work til February 28th 2013 to get them.

My recruiter never told me. I found out by accident just as I was signing the contracts and sending them back. So my initial contract is for 10 months and I'll have to sign for another 6 months to get the extras. I was livid when I found out!

Having said that, it could have been worse. I know a Canadian girl here who started just 1 day late and they made her sign another 6 month contract to get the extra benefits. So she had to work 18 months to get everything. Talk about cruel..

Yeah i knew this already. My recruiter was very clear about it. I'd be happy enough to stay on another 6 months as there are no jobs in ireland for me to go home to anyway. i'm planning to take all this experience and move on to teach in australia. hopefully 18 months experience will stand to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

hey ekevosu, what do you reckon my chances would be of getting time off around the 31st of August next year? I'd probably need the friday and the monday off?

It will depend on your school and coteacher and how nice they are. Hopefully by that time you will have a good relationship with them and they might accommodate you. If you end up having another NET at your school, they might be able to cover for you as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah i knew this already. My recruiter was very clear about it. I'd be happy enough to stay on another 6 months as there are no jobs in ireland for me to go home to anyway. i'm planning to take all this experience and move on to teach in australia. hopefully 18 months experience will stand to me.

What are you hoping to teach in Australia? Are you under 30?

What are you hoping to teach in Australia? Are you under 30?

Nah - I'm well past 30, sadly! i've already done the holiday maker visa to australia too. i'm thinking of either working as a tefl teacher there, through the skills visa, apparently there's a demand for them there. or if that doesnt work out, i might go and do the dip for teaching there.

Does anyone have any advice about getting an internet connection at my gaff in Seoul? i haven't got my alien card yet and i know i'll have to wait for that. i brought my own laptop from home and it's about 2 years old. can anyone recommend any internet providers? how do i go about it? good and cheap would be preferable, naturally. ta.

Nah - I'm well past 30, sadly! i've already done the holiday maker visa to australia too. i'm thinking of either working as a tefl teacher there, through the skills visa, apparently there's a demand for them there. or if that doesnt work out, i might go and do the dip for teaching there.

Which dip? Primary or Secondary?

Just wondering as I'm a primary teacher myself and looked into Oz before but couldn't see a way in. I'm over 30.

JFitz

The teachers at my school sorted out my internet for me. There was internet in my apt already but it needed to be reactivated. Mine costs like 30k per month for unlimited download and it's wired internet, wireless is supposed to be more expensive.

What drives me mad is that at night it seems to slow down. I think it may be the amount of people who use the internet at the time I get home from school. But during the day it's grand.

Which dip? Primary or Secondary?

Just wondering as I'm a primary teacher myself and looked into Oz before but couldn't see a way in. I'm over 30.

Primary. I'd have no interest in secondary - kids at that age are too bratty and are beyond help. You couldn't see a way in? Ah, that's a pity now. How come? I thought primary teachers were on the required skills list for Australia.

JFitz

The teachers at my school sorted out my internet for me. There was internet in my apt already but it needed to be reactivated. Mine costs like 30k per month for unlimited download and it's wired internet, wireless is supposed to be more expensive.

What drives me mad is that at night it seems to slow down. I think it may be the amount of people who use the internet at the time I get home from school. But during the day it's grand.

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, one of the teachers at my school is going to help me alright but i was wondering.......
    30k a month seems ok to me. Wired would be fine with me. I was paying 20 euro a month at home.
    Yeah, they seem to be mad into the internet here.

Primary. I'd have no interest in secondary - kids at that age are too bratty and are beyond help. You couldn't see a way in? Ah, that's a pity now. How come? I thought primary teachers were on the required skills list for Australia.

I'm not so sure Primary Teaching is on the list now. It varies from year to year.

But even when they were, you still have to have at least 3 years primary teaching experience to get into Australia. And you have to have a 4 year degree. So the 3 year B.Ed that you get from St. Pat's or Mary I isn't enough. In that case, you'd have to have the Dept. of Education dip done as well.

I'm not so sure Primary Teaching is on the list now. It varies from year to year.

But even when they were, you still have to have at least 3 years primary teaching experience to get into Australia. And you have to have a 4 year degree. So the 3 year B.Ed that you get from St. Pat's or Mary I isn't enough. In that case, you'd have to have the Dept. of Education dip done as well.

Oh dear.
    I'll just have to marry a rich Aussie man then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭cadburys

RadioClash wrote: »
    Hold onto your ARC number(this doubles as your pension number), you'll need this should you need to claim from it in the future(widow/widower/invalidity pension etc.)

Well I handed over my ARC when leaving Korea, no idea what my no. was! Any way to find out?

Advertisement