Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

ekevosu wrote: »
    If you work for a public school (EPIK) and get a 'letter of appointment' you don't need to even leave the country. Rules are changing all the time but this was the case for me on a first visa this year. I just changed from a tourist to a teaching visa while I was here (never leaving Korea). Several officials in different locations confirmed this was the case. Hagwon jobs will still have to leave the country but as always confirm with emigration. Don't trust the Korean embassy in Ireland as they usually are clueless .....or were the times I rang them anyway.

That bold part..........I think it's their mission statement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I know the thread is sort of talking about this at the moment but...

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to go to Korea on a tourist visa (I currently live in China), find a job, and then get my brother or whoever to sort out any of the necessary paperwork at home so I don't have to return to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JebusCripes

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to go to Korea on a tourist visa (I currently live in China), find a job, and then get my brother or whoever to sort out any of the necessary paperwork at home so I don't have to return to Ireland?

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm in Thailand at the moment.

Cloneslad mentioned something about if its your first Korean visa you might need to have an interview in your home country but I imagine that can be worked around. Its my second Korean visa. My mum is having my degree copy notarised as we speak!

cloneslad wrote: »
    You used to have to get that years ago. I had to do it when I first applied for my visa, but it's no longer required.

Will this be your first Korean visa? When getting your first visa, they now require you to have an interview in the Korean embassy in your home country before they will grant the visa.

As with Korean rules, these are subject to change upon the person you're dealing with on any given day. With a bit of luck they'll let you have the interview in Japan for the visa.

It will be my second work visa!

As I said before, it all depends on who you're dealing with on the day. the only thing you need to be back in Ireland for is the interview, which last all of about 5-10 minutes, or so I'm told. (I didn't have to do one as I'd already worked in Korea before they brought in that rule).
    This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm in Thailand at the moment.

Cloneslad mentioned something about if its your first Korean visa you might need to have an interview in your home country but I imagine that can be worked around. Its my second Korean visa. My mum is having my degree copy notarised as we speak!

You'll be fine, the furthest you will have to go is to Japan to get yours sorted, and as said before, if you work with EPIK you'll not even have to leave as they'll get it sorted out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

As I said before, it all depends on who you're dealing with on the day. the only thing you need to be back in Ireland for is the interview, which last all of about 5-10 minutes, or so I'm told. (I didn't have to do one as I'd already worked in Korea before they brought in that rule).

I don't even think you need to do an interview. I literally just went to the consulate, waited a few mins at reception, filled out a form, gave my documents, photos and fee to the girl at reception and that was it.

If it is the same procedure you could just get someone who looks a bit like you to go in for you - a bit risky but very possible I would say

roosh wrote: »
    I don't even think you need to do an interview. I literally just went to the consulate, waited a few mins at reception, filled out a form, gave my documents, photos and fee to the girl at reception and that was it.

If it is the same procedure you could just get someone who looks a bit like you to go in for you - a bit risky but very possible I would say

An interview is required for all new applicants by the new regulations set out a few years ago. Like all things to do with that embassy, it's up to how they feel on the day.

I went up on a Tuesday with all my documents, went to hand them in and was told I would need an interview. I told them I wouldn't as I already had a visa.

The woman told me she would check to see if I needed one and she'd get back to me the next day. I asked her could I leave my stuff there and if I needed an interview I'd come back, and if not then they could process them. She said no.

I called at 10 the next morning, she told me she'd call me back in a few mins.... I had to call back myself at about 12 to be told I didn't need the interview.. It's a 2 hour drive for me just to get there.

An interview is required for all new applicants by the new regulations set out a few years ago. Like all things to do with that embassy, it's up to how they feel on the day.

I went up on a Tuesday with all my documents, went to hand them in and was told I would need an interview. I told them I wouldn't as I already had a visa.

The woman told me she would check to see if I needed one and she'd get back to me the next day. I asked her could I leave my stuff there and if I needed an interview I'd come back, and if not then they could process them. She said no.

I called at 10 the next morning, she told me she'd call me back in a few mins.... I had to call back myself at about 12 to be told I didn't need the interview.. It's a 2 hour drive for me just to get there.

No way??!

OK, the risk factor of getting someone else to go in for you just increased dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You don't need to do an interview in the embassy if you're going to a public job.

However, when someone goes to the embassy to hand in/collect your passport for the purposes of getting the visa, it would be very difficult if the person doesn't look like you :p

Unless things have changed and you can get someone to drop your passport in and collect it?

kraggy wrote: »
    You don't need to do an interview in the embassy if you're going to a public job.

However, when someone goes to the embassy to hand in/collect your passport for the purposes of getting the visa, it would be very difficult if the person doesn't look like you :p

Unless things have changed and you can get someone to drop your passport in and collect it?

as long as someone looks remotely like you, and they have the necessary info to fill in the form you'd probably get away with it; they can give a registered letter for it to be posted out.

When I got mine there was no major scrutiny of any of the documents passports included; obviously if the person looks nothing like you then they might suss something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i would suggest skype too. even if your family don't have it, it works out much cheaper to call them on it. about 2cent a minute to a landline or you can pay about €4 for unlimited calls to Ireland per month.

I also got a 'skype in' number for about €25 a year. It meant my family without the capability to use skype or internet could call my skype phone number and they'd only be charged for making a local call.

My mother needs to get a landline, the cost of calls is killing me.

Okay, can you explain to me how that skype number thing works? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Anyone else going to Two Gallants in Hongdae on Saturday?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    My mother needs to get a landline, the cost of calls is killing me.

Okay, can you explain to me how that skype number thing works? :o

not 100% sure what the story with it is, but from what I understand it would be you that get's the landline number, so that when people call you it's as though they are calling an irish landline, but you would receive it through skype.

so basically, they ring an "irish" landline number and you answer on your computer or smartphone.

not 100% sure what the story with it is, but from what I understand it would be you that get's the landline number, so that when people call you it's as though they are calling an irish landline, but you would receive it through skype.

so basically, they ring an "irish" landline number and you answer on your computer or smartphone.

That's pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Happy Pepero day :)<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

dapto1 wrote: »
    Anyone else going to Two Gallants in Hongdae on Saturday?

No, but how did you hear about it?

Never know about these things.

If I mail my documents into the DFA to get appostilled do I need to include a stamped self addressed envelope?

DFA site says :
    "Documents sent by post must include the following:
    A brief covering letter stating your name, return address, telephone number, you must state what country the document(s) are for use in, and you must include the appropriate fee."

Most recruiting sites say to include a self addressed envelope....., its just that I'm having somebody else do this for me and i don't want to give them extra hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

kraggy wrote: »
    No, but how did you hear about it?

Never know about these things.

I heard they were playing in Busan there the other day. Supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

This probably sounds incredibly lame but I've been teaching here for two weeks and I don't know my students names. i asked my 'co-teacher' (i'm using that word loosely as i teach all of his classes by myself and he doesn't do anything at all) about ways to get their names but i couldn't get a straight answer from him. Does everyone know the names of all their students? Did they get them to display their names on their desks or something? Also, I haven't had time to learn Korean yet as I'm still hugely busy with the minutiae of settling in etc so i haven't had time to find a korean class, sign up to it, go to it and start learning to read korean names. any suggestions? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

This probably sounds incredibly lame but I've been teaching here for two weeks and I don't know my students names. i asked my 'co-teacher' (i'm using that word loosely as i teach all of his classes by myself and he doesn't do anything at all) about ways to get their names but i couldn't get a straight answer from him. Does everyone know the names of all their students? Did they get them to display their names on their desks or something? Also, I haven't had time to learn Korean yet as I'm still hugely busy with the minutiae of settling in etc so i haven't had time to find a korean class, sign up to it, go to it and start learning to read korean names. any suggestions? thanks.

I know a teacher in a public school who knows her kids by numbers :D
    I'm in a hagwon and know many of the students by Korean or English names. It's difficult though. It takes time to remember them all. Some of the students leave and you get new ones. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's probably been posted in here alreadty but talk to me in Korean is supposed to be a useful website for learning Korean.

Hey guys,

I got my ARC card last week, so I'm going to get on the case about a phone. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this; or what kind of phone is good value for money; or whether it is better to go bill- or pre-pay.

I would like to get an iPhone, but almost solely for the "sleep cycle alarm clock" app - does anyone know if that app is available on android also, or is it just the iPhone; anyone any idea how much an iPhone would cost a month?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I know this is a long shot, but I lost a blue Fuji camera last weekend either around Bupyeong station or in a taxi from Bupyeong to Siheung. Raging becasue I lost all my photos from the last year :mad:

If by any chance someone found it please let me know.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

What helped me was writing each student's name beside my own short description of them. When you're in class try to use their name as much as possible, even if you have to stop and look at what you've written down. Having them display their names on their desks also works.

I'm looking to get some presents for the staff here at school; I want to get a bottle of Irish whiskey each for my CT, VP and principal. Does anyone know if there is anywhere these could be ordered online and delivered to Korea; or would the best way to go about it be to get the family to send them over?

EDIT: also, should I get them all the same size bottle, or should I get a bigger one for one/some of them; just wondering if there is any custom where it is expected that the principal should get the bigger bottle, or the co-teacher perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the_antagonist

I'm looking to get some presents for the staff here at school; I want to get a bottle of Irish whiskey each for my CT, VP and principal.

Why would you spend all that cash ? It's completely unnecessary.

Buy them each a cheap bottle of wine in E-mart over here when you arrive.

Why would you spend all that cash ? It's completely unnecessary.

Buy them each a cheap bottle of wine in E-mart over here when you arrive.

3 bottles of whiskey wouldn't be that expensive, it'd be the means of delivery which would cost the money; which is why I was wondering if there was a way to do it online.

I wanted to get something from home, and the lads are all drinkers, so I thought it would be a good way to "grease the wheels" so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

Though i'd posted this the other day but for some reason it didnt post.

Did anyone have to do a video to go along with their application? A recruiter has told us to do this as its becoming more common. Actually makes sense really. Anyone got any tips re: format and how long it should be and maybe what they look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

You can find Jameson here fairly easily if you look around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi I am finally getting around to looking into what I need for the application. I'm sure this have been asked before but...... Where do I get the clearance from the garda from? and what exactly is it called? I went into my local garda station yesterday and he said that I have to write a letter to the garda vetting unit in Thurles? Am I asking for a garda clearance certificate, the same as the one you need to work with children etc or is it something else? Thanks alot if someone can clear this up for me:)

Advertisement