Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

LA seems like the perfect game for an 8 year old to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mickeroo wrote: »

My brain read that as 'LA Noire' and thought "jaysus, things are different these days".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mickeroo wrote: »

+1. I got it when I was 9 with my GBC, I think the newer version would be perfect for an 8 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Cianos wrote: »
    Want to get a new game for the little one (8yrs old) for Christmas - undecided between Pokémon and Links Awakening.

Is 8 a bit young for Pokemon? I've seen that the fanbase are unhappy with the games too, is that all overblown or are the games actually bad?

Pokemon Sword and Shield have their issues but your child would get far more play out of either than Link's Awakening. LA is a great game, but it's extremely short. Just look at CEX, they've around 50 copies of the game. I also feel it's nowhere near worth the full asking price. Maybe try creating a wanted ad online and offer €35-40, that’s more than CEX offer people when trading it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Cianos wrote: »
    Want to get a new game for the little one (8yrs old) for Christmas - undecided between Pokémon and Links Awakening.

Is 8 a bit young for Pokemon? I've seen that the fanbase are unhappy with the games too, is that all overblown or are the games actually bad?

Does it have to be those games?

My daughter, similar age, loves(ed) the following:
    - mario odyssey; mario maker 2; mario kart; rayman legends;
    Odyssey cannot be recommended highly enough - it is wonderful.
    Rayman might be a bit too intensive or scary even; but spend no more than 20 quid on it.
    MM2 is great - kids can create levels in minutes (they are much smarter at this ****), plus there is story mode with 100 levels, plus infinite levels if you have switch online. I really think it's something special.

She got bored with
    - LA - think it's cause it just can't compete with the other shiny stuff and it's a bit obtuse at times.
    - BOTW - probably cause she's watched everyone else play it - plus it's a bit too scary for a little kid. I guess it's for older kids or for playing with parents.

She loved pokemon sun on 3ds, which was traded for let's go eevee, which she got bored of, and she has no interest in the pokemon sword/shield.

Finally, big favourite for her is animal crossing new leaf on the 3ds ... which will make it to switch next year... so maybe a 2020 present :-)

PS I'm not a nintendo representative, even though I sound like one.

Also, forgot captain toad treasure tracker ... great little puzzle game that you should get for less than 30 quid.
    My daughter loved that. It's magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Guys,any recommendations on Sd cards that work on the switch?

128mb or 256mb ,but just as long as they are reliable..

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Guys,any recommendations on Sd cards that work on the switch?

128mb or 256mb ,but just as long as they are reliable..

I'm going to assume you meant 128GB, not 128Mb. :P

Have this one, no problems at all:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/

The size is pretty much up to yourself and your wallet. The Switch can theoretically handle 2TB, but those cards don't exist yet (or at least not publicly available).

There's really no point going for the "super fast hyper extreme" speed ones. The Switch SD card slot only operates at a certain speed, so that'd be pointless.

EDIT: Whole heap of information on here: The best Micro SD cards for Nintendo Switch 2020 [Eurogamer]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My 5 year old nephew is getting his Wii upgraded to a Switch off Santa. He plays Mario Kart Wii on 50cc and does well.

Looking at what games to get him now for the Switch. I'm not sure if Mario Maker might be too hard, similar with Odyssey. He can play Mario Kart on his Wii for now.

I'm thinking LEGO Jurassic World or one of the Pokemons? I've never played a Pokemon game so don't know the difficulty level.

Otherwise we'll prob stick to Snipperclips or Overcooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If he enjoys Mario Kart Wii, then he'd probably love Mario Kart 8 on the Switch

The_B_Man wrote: »
    My 5 year old nephew is getting his Wii upgraded to a Switch off Santa. He plays Mario Kart Wii on 50cc and does well.

Looking at what games to get him now for the Switch. I'm not sure if Mario Maker might be too hard, similar with Odyssey. He can play Mario Kart on his Wii for now.

I'm thinking LEGO Jurassic World or one of the Pokemons? I've never played a Pokemon game so don't know the difficulty level.

Mario kart switch is wonderful, he will love it. Remember, adults can/should play too. :)

Mario Marker 2 might be good. There are easy levels in the story mode, plus you can download easy levels online if you sign up for switch online, which will give you access to SNES and NES games. Also he can make his own levels as easy or hard as he wants. It's good value too compared to other switch games.

Maybe Captain toad treasure tracker ... But you can try the free demo first and see how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is a mountain of fun games on the Switch that a 5 year old will love, from cheap as chips Indies to the likes Yoshi's Crafted World and Captain Toad.
    He is going to adore Mario Kart 8 Dx, it's a glorious treat for the eyes, ears and soul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There is a mountain of fun games on the Switch that a 5 year old will love, from cheap as chips Indies to the likes Yoshi's Crafted World and Captain Toad.
    He is going to adore Mario Kart 8 Dx, it's a glorious treat for the eyes, ears and soul!

Mario_Kart_Blue_Shell.png

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Sorry for all the obvious newbie questions.. But looking also for 3rd party pro controller recommendations too..
    I mean ill get a Nintendo one if i have to,but if theres a cheaper alternative,id rather get one..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

fixXxer wrote: »
    Mario_Kart_Blue_Shell.png

That will, at least, encourage the expansion of the childs vocabulary, albeit swear words only, as in "oh f**k me, that f**king blue f**king shell, Bowser can shove it up his f**king hole!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I had suggested Mario Kart as the first game but his Mammy said no, coz he has it on the Wii and she'd rather a different game so he'd then have Mario kart + another game.

Would Mario and Rabbids be suitable?

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the obvious newbie questions.. But looking also for 3rd party pro controller recommendations too..
    I mean ill get a Nintendo one if i have to,but if theres a cheaper alternative,id rather get one..

General consensus is this is the best 3rd party controller
    8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ Wireless Bluetooth Gamepad for Nintendo Switch, Windows, macOS, Android, Raspberry Pi (SN Edition) (Nintendo Switch/) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T8JKVNT

Also much cheaper 8bitdo wired controllers if you dont mind wired

I had suggested Mario Kart as the first game but his Mammy said no, coz he has it on the Wii and she'd rather a different game so he'd then have Mario kart + another game.

Would Mario and Rabbids be suitable?

Good to see the Wii still going strong out there. If he still has that and decent first party wiimote and nunchuck then Super Mario Galaxy 1 (Nintendo Select) is a perfect game for 20 stg on Amazon UK. Honestly one of the best games ever made and a ton of fun for kids of all ages. It has a lovely story in it, brilliant graphics, brilliant sound track and incredible unique levels. So playable. It's an absolute joy.

Mario and Rabbids is too confusing for a 5 year old I'd say. A lot of text and straregy to make the most of it. Turn based RPG.

As recommended above, Yoshi's crafted world is a good game for small kids. It's on the easy side. If you want a cheaper option. There is a demo on ehsop , so might be best to give it a spin there first. Expensive for what it is.

Now, here is an idea ... E shop gift card ... There will be sales on there at Xmas ... He can try Yoshi , Captain toad and Kirby star allies demos ...

Also Super luckys tale demo which is a pretty great value, good, kid friendly 3d platform game... If he wants to buy ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone know if you can get refunds on the eshop? Bought Celeste and it's not grabbing me

Anyone know if you can get refunds on the eshop? Bought Celeste and it's not grabbing me

Don't think so. I think you should be able to at least trade games on the eshop; or get a refund up to an hour or so after you play it; or all games should have some demo version ...

Another reason I'm not happy with digital games.

I think Celeste has an acquired taste ... It sucked me in so far and then I felt like I was playing some kind of Amstrad CPC 464 game :) and the gameplay was just making me more and more anxious :) , which isn't great for a game that promotes positive mental health. Or maybe it's too hard and I'm ****. One day I shall return to it!

But it's there in my digital library with other forgotten games like unruly heroes and gato roboto. And dare I say R-type. I love you R-type, but you are too bloody hard on normal level :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

conormario wrote: »
    Don't think so. I think you should be able to at least trade games on the eshop; or get a refund up to an hour or so after you play it; or all games should have some demo version ...

Another reason I'm not happy with digital games.

I think Celeste has an acquired taste ... It sucked me in so far and then I felt like I was playing some kind of Amstrad CPC 464 game :) and the gameplay was just making me more and more anxious :) , which isn't great for a game that promotes positive mental health. Or maybe it's too hard and I'm ****. One day I shall return to it!

But it's there in my digital library with other forgotten games like unruly heroes and gato roboto. And dare I say R-type. I love you R-type, but you are too bloody hard on normal level :)

Feel the same about it , feels a bit too retro for me. Ah well was only a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Feel the same about it , feels a bit too retro for me. Ah well was only a tenner.

Stick with it. It’s a really good game. I must get back into it and do the post game and DLC

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Re: Celeste - a game I definitely think should have a demo - I got it free on Epic Games and lasted maybe half an hour before determining that it's a game involving far more precise (irritatingly precise, for me) platforming than I am interested in at this point. Mind you, there's clearly a market for more challenging platformers like it (Super Meat Boy, They Bleed Pixels) so the target audience presumably know if it's for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Fysh wrote: »
    Re: Celeste - a game I definitely think should have a demo - I got it free on Epic Games and lasted maybe half an hour before determining that it's a game involving far more precise (irritatingly precise, for me) platforming than I am interested in at this point. Mind you, there's clearly a market for more challenging platformers like it (Super Meat Boy, They Bleed Pixels) so the target audience presumably know if it's for them...

There is kind of a demo for Celeste, in that the original Pico-8 game is available to play for free.

https://mattmakesgames.itch.io/celesteclassic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pasta-solo wrote: »
    There is kind of a demo for Celeste, in that the original Pico-8 game is available to play for free.

https://mattmakesgames.itch.io/celesteclassic

Useful to know, cheers :) It would be much better if there was a demo on the eShop itself (though this is true of many games including most first party titles).

Certainly for me it puts me off a lot of indies if they aren't ports from PC or other consoles - the current eShop has a similar shovelware issue to the Wii shop (which also had an underused demo feature).

Of the three "never heard of 'em, no obvious history on other platforms" games I've picked up without trying a demo, only 1 has any hope of being played again (Super Hero Fight Club: Reloaded - a mobile port, as it turns out), and even at that it remains to be seen if its couch multiplayer mode is any better than its ok-but-not-great single player mode. Its heritage as a mobile game is obvious from the very limited music and SFX library, which became tedious enough for me to switch both off within 20 minutes of starting to play - not exactly promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If you want a platforming game with todays graphics that looks good and is enjoyable then Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair is what you want. The only impossible level would be the last level called impossible Lair but there are tonnes of levels and a game world area to explore so you still get your moneys worth. From looking at Celeste the people who liked that game would more than likely find the impossible Lair challenging but beatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Will a new Switch bought in Smyths right now be the v2 or is there a chance it will be the older processor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Thargor wrote: »
    Will a new Switch bought in Smyths right now be the v2 or is there a chance it will be the older processor?

Every time I've been in over the last while, it's been mostly the new ones behind the desk (the box is mostly red). The staff are knowledgeable enough that you can ask and they'll sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Vanquish remaster announced for PS4/Xbox. Would absolutely love if it got a Switch release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corholio wrote: »
    Vanquish remaster announced for PS4/Xbox. Would absolutely love if it got a Switch release too.

Probably will, Vanquish is apparently going to be bundled with Bayonetta (what a pairing btw) but I imagine it will be separate on switch.
    Would not want to play Vanquish in handheld mode mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not sure if this was posted but MyNintendo have this competition running every day. Once signed in just click on today's date on the advent style calendar, scroll down and press enter now. Probably won't win anything but it only takes 10 seconds.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/Festive-Gaming-Calendar/Festive-Gaming-Calendar-1686683.html?red_source=festivegamingcalendar.nintendo.co.uk

Advertisement