Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I'm a little torn on my next purchase - any advice appreciated!

Option 1- Dragon Quest XI.
    Played the demo for 2-3 hours so far, and it seems very enjoyable. That said, I'm not sure I want to get into a huge JRPG, and I have no prior experience with the DQ series, so not sure how difficult these games get as they progress. Will continue with the demo for now.

Option 2 - The Witcher 3
    Never played this, but it looks fun. That said, Skyrim was a bit disappointing for me in that the world felt dull, the missions boring & samey and the combat unsatisfying. Worried this may feel the same? Breath of the Wild may have ruined these types of games for me, but people swear by this particular game. However, people also liked Red Dead Redemeption 2, so you can't trust people!

Option 3 - Ori and The Blind Forest
    LOVED the demo, and I love Metroidvanias, so this seems like a good choice, though it probably won't last as long. Another bonus is its much cheaper! Could pick this up alongisde on eof the two above also.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pasta-solo wrote: »

Played the demo for 2-3 hours so far, and it seems very enjoyable. That said, I'm not sure I want to get into a huge JRPG, and I have no prior experience with the DQ series, so not sure how difficult these games get as they progress. Will continue with the demo for now.

Option 2 - The Witcher 3
    Never played this, but it looks fun. That said, Skyrim was a bit disappointing for me in that the world felt dull, the missions boring & samey and the combat unsatisfying. Worried this may feel the same? Breath of the Wild may have ruined these types of games for me, but people swear by this particular game. However, people also liked Red Dead Redemeption 2, so you can't trust people!

LOVED the demo, and I love Metroidvanias, so this seems like a good choice, though it probably won't last as long. Another bonus is its much cheaper! Could pick this up alongisde on eof the two above also.

Witcher 3 is worlds apart from Skyrim and it's just as good as BotW but for different reasons (imo of course).

BotW wins out for having a truly "open" world where you can just explore and really nails that sense of discovery like no other game I've played probably. Whereas Witcher excels at a living breathing world with a really well written story with a host of memorable characters where even the side missions feel as worthwhile as the main story missions (some of the side missions felt like they could have been a main campaign in themselves).

The DLCs in Witcher 3 are as big as stand alone games too, particularly blood and wine.

Only other thing I'd say about Witcher 3 is if you have a PC or any of the other consoles then get it for one of those as you're doing it a disservice playing the gimped switch version (and it will be much cheaper elsewhere too), so if that's the case then get Ori as it's brilliant and is the perfect game for the switch (never played dragon quest so can't comment there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only other thing I'd say about Witcher 3 is if you have a PC or any of the other consoles then get it for one of those as you're doing it a disservice playing the gimped switch version (and it will be much cheaper elsewhere too), so if that's the case then get Ori as it's brilliant and is the perfect game for the switch (never played dragon quest so can't comment there).

I have a PS4, but its honestly just a bluray player these days. The Switch is by far my preferred way to play anything, even if the graphics take a hit, as its just so convenient. Many games that I started elsewhere, I've gone back and actually played through and completed on Switch. Its a mix of Nintendo fanboy-ism and just the genius of the console's design and form factor. Would happily take the performance/graphics hit to play on an airplane, in bed or at the pub with a mate. Played through both Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on Switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Have my Switch 2 years now (well I upgraded to the newer one recently as part of the Gamestop trade-in deal) and have to say it is a wonderful Nintendo console, as good as I feel the SNES was. Back in the day I had a SNES and Gameboy and didn't buy another Nintendo console until the Wii. Rightly or wrongly I felt a bit burned by the Wii and that it was a waste of money. I wasn't sure whether to go for the Switch in case I would feel the same but I'm glad the way it turned out.

Fantastic console for people that have busy lives and/or kids. Have a newborn at home and it's the only console I have played since he was born a few weeks ago. My PS4 and Xbox One are gathering dust. So easy to quickly boot up and play anywhere around the house.

The only gripe I could have with the Switch is that a Switch game "bargain" and a PS4/Xbox One game bargain are vastly different, Switch games are rarely discounted as heavily.

All in all one of the best consoles of all-time imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Ori is a fantastic game. It'd be perfect on the Switch I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Fantastic console for people that have busy lives and/or kids. Have a newborn at home and it's the only console I have played since he was born a few weeks ago. My PS4 and Xbox One are gathering dust. So easy to quickly boot up and play anywhere around the house.

In the exact same situation myself now with a new baby in the house. I had her asleep on one arm last night while playing Final Fantasy X handheld. Even if the toddler is watching something on TV and I have the baby, she can still watch whatever and I can play the Switch seeing as I'm pinned down either way.

My One X and PS4 Pro are sitting there unloved. If a game is available on all 3 I'll get it on the Switch for the most part, its just more fun to play games on it for some reason. It was the last of the 3 consoles I bought and honestly if someone told me I could just keep one in the morning the Xbox and PS4 would be gone, no contest.

As for Ori and Witcher question from Pasta Solo, if you like Metroidvania's then Ori is a no brainer, fantastic game. I tried to get into Skyrim myself but that was after finishing The Witcher and all expansions (200+ hours it took me), and Skyrim didn't even compare. Witcher world is just so well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

pasta-solo wrote: »

Option 2 - The Witcher 3

I think the options here are really one and two, and get three no matter what (one and two are full retail, three is a third the price)

In this case, I would go for Option One, Dragon Quest. It's designed for the Switch with next to no limitations. The Witcher 3 is an amazing game, one of the best, if not the best, I've played it years. I am getting it for the Switch, but I played it first on a really decent PC which ran it on really high settings. Reports on performance on the Switch seem to be positive, but it's such a vast massive world, that experiencing it for the first time on a Switch seems to be doing it a dis-service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Playing Asgards Wrath the last day or so and it's a game like this that makes me hope that Nintendo does VR seriously in the future. It's an incredible game, imagining Zelda or Metroid in a similar vein is mindblowing.

A year ago before I played any proper VR I was hugely sceptical and didn't take much notice of the tech to be honest. But the last 12 months, VR has seen some of my best gaming and truly wow moments, and that's still with pretty early generation of the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

Weird little things, I can't decide if they're good or bad....I'm leaning with the former :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Weird little things, I can't decide if they're good or bad....I'm leaning with the former :o

They look nice but way too small and skinny to be comfortable to use for any length of time imo (well for adult hands anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

My fiancé dropped my switch on the floor and now the left joy con is broken. The button on the top seems to be pushed in or something. When I press the button never moves. Is there any way to fix it. He took the trigger off to try to get into it. But that's come off. Anyway if fixing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

My fiancé dropped my switch on the floor and now the left joy con is broken. The button on the top seems to be pushed in or something. When I press the button never moves. Is there any way to fix it. He took the trigger off to try to get into it. But that's come off. Anyway if fixing it?

Look for a teardown vid on utube

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Must have been tired last night or else I'm just a real genius but I fecked up a hard screen protector, tried to get some dust off the sticky side with the microfibre cloth and sure that made a mess, fibre from the cloth got on it. Any way to rescue it? There was only one in the pack. I see some suggestions of washing it, some suggestions of using tape... is it still going to adhere to the screen after this? I refuse to dock my switch without one haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Yeah, should've done that in the first place, but it's a ballache to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pokémon Eevee switch left joycon is starting to pop on the up down left right buttons on the left joycon unfortunately I can't find my receipt so Argos where I bought it no help think I'm just gonna get new joycon no problems with play so far just being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Pokémon Eevee switch left joycon is starting to pop on the up down left right buttons on the left joycon unfortunately I can't find my receipt so Argos where I bought it no help think I'm just gonna get new joycon no problems with play so far just being cautious.

If you used a credit card that should suffice as proof of purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I paid with my debit card if I recall should have the statement somewhere thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

PostWoke wrote: »
    Must have been tired last night or else I'm just a real genius but I fecked up a hard screen protector, tried to get some dust off the sticky side with the microfibre cloth and sure that made a mess, fibre from the cloth got on it. Any way to rescue it? There was only one in the pack. I see some suggestions of washing it, some suggestions of using tape... is it still going to adhere to the screen after this? I refuse to dock my switch without one haha.
    I bought a pretty pricey screen protector for a tablet, and it came with special stickers for instances like that.
    It had some lint on the sticky surface and using the stickers on it worked perfectly. I had never seen that before.
    I guess cellotape would be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hey my doods!

Im currently bed bound in hospital and am gonna get my switch dropped in me thinks..

Is astral chain a bad idea to play in handheld or is it grand? Or would i be better off getting another game like the new fire emblem?

Also anybody know the cheapest place to get them in a local store? Also can anybody recommend a good/safe travel case to get to protect the kit? Also needs to be in a local store..

Any help is appreciated as price searching on a mobile phone is highly tedious :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I found Astral Chain borderline unplayable in handheld. It runs perfectly fine though, just not a game I think lends itself well to handheld.

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Hey my doods!

Im currently bed bound in hospital and am gonna get my switch dropped in me thinks..

Is astral chain a bad idea to play in handheld or is it grand? Or would i be better off getting another game like the new fire emblem?

Also anybody know the cheapest place to get them in a local store? Also can anybody recommend a good/safe travel case to get to protect the kit? Also needs to be in a local store..

Any help is appreciated as price searching on a mobile phone is highly tedious :pac:

I play nearly everything in handheld, and I got through Astral Chain fine. I imagine going from a bigger screen to a small one make not be a positive change, but ignorance is bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Hi Guys

It looks like the missus is getting me a switch for xmas,so im sure this has been asked a thousand times,but what are the games ye would class as essential for it,ill play any genre really..

Thanks..

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

It looks like the missus is getting me a switch for xmas,so im sure this has been asked a thousand times,but what are the games ye would class as essential for it,ill play any genre really..

Thanks..

Breath of the Wild (anything from 60 to 200 hours really)

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (anything from 40 to 120 hours excluding DLC)

Super Mario Odyssey. (about 20 hours)

If I had to pick three. There's many other excellent games but if I was starting from scratch, I'd go for those. I don't tend to go multiplayer, but there's Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate also, which are great in single player, but come into their own for multiplayer.

Also, get a Nintendo Online sub - 25 or so for the year, and you get a lot of classic NES and SNES games, plus online multiplayer for non-free to play games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Hi Guys

Thanks..

If ya like jrpgs, dragon quest 11 is excellent.
    Mario kart is always essential.
    Super mario maker 2 if ya fancy making mario levels made by other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Hi Guys

Thanks..

BOTW, Mario Kart 8 DX, Mario Odyssey, Rayman Legends, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Mario Maker 2.
    PS your missus can and should play these games too.
    Also, make sure it's not a switch lite. These games deserve to be played on a big screen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Hi Guys

Thanks..

Gris and Inside are two outstanding scrolling side scrolling platformers on the eShop.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Thanks All! Yeah BOTW is pretty much top of the list alright.. MarioKart 8 too..
    also because of the crossplay Divinity Original sin 2 looks tempting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Jealous of people celebrating Switchmas for the first time. Plus they get all the best games at once!
    :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

fixXxer wrote: »
    Gris and Inside are two outstanding scrolling side scrolling platformers on the eShop.

Hollow Knight and Celeste are two essential platformers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sweetie wrote: »
    Hollow Knight and Celeste are two essential platformers

Hollow knight is another good one. Celeste I was unmoved by.

Advertisement