Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Thargor wrote: »
    I have an appointment in Dun Laoighre in the morning, is it going to be bad or just wet and windy or will it be calm until lunch in peoples opinions?

Better not chance it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have an appointment in Dun Laoighre in the morning, is it going to be bad or just wet and windy or will it be calm until lunch in peoples opinions?

You’ll be fine. All day. Don’t cancel anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's going to be bad I'm afraid.
    That's just the way Dun Laoghaire is these days.
    Weather will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

VeVeX wrote: »
    It appears they've been told to turn the armageddon knob to 11 to further propagate and push the man made climate change agenda/theory.

Worst thing to come out of this storm will be George lees career. He had the economics gig down to a tee, then the politics went belly up. He's been in purgatory with RTE since presenting farming and climate and any other crap stories they can throw at him. They must be really trying to shove him out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

George in full hyper and cock up flow on the 1 o'clock radio news today was one of worst reports I have ever heard on Radio or TV.He lost it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Anyone know what time it will hit Galway city tomorrow? Wonder will buses be effected?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time it will hit Galway city tomorrow? Wonder will buses be effected?

You'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sottol wrote: »
    We got the typical “caring” email at work today.
    If you feel it is unsafe to travel to work please arrange to work from home etc!! Making sure we all took the laptops home so there’s no excuse not to be working. There’s always one who lives too far away to come in when there’s a bit of wind!

In fairness if you can work from home and its gusty why would you even bother taking the slightest chance. You could get caught coming home in the evening with various outages/disruptions.

I took my laptop home just in case. And the rugby is on for an added bonus. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    In fairness if you can work from home and its gusty why would you even bother taking the slightest chance. You could get caught coming home in the evening with various outages/disruptions.

I took my laptop home just in case. And the rugby is on for an added bonus.
    :-)

It's just a pity you're working and not taking the day off. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Last time for Ophelia, I was warning colleagues in advance of its danger, and I was ignored.
    I warned about the snows .. and I was poo poo'd , cos it was balmy outside.

Today (Wednesday) I tell them that it won't be such a major event as Ophelia was (in cork) , and they point to George Lee on the TV.

FFS. I'm only going to buy some bread tomorrow, only because I've just run out

This will be a storm in a tea cup for where I and my work colleagues live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It now looks like a non event between Thursday into Friday morning especially in the south. But saying that just be careful out there. Various models have downgraded the storm and has it landfalling in North Donegal or Derry. Satellite photos are showing it gone disorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The hype around this event has been ridiculous. RTE and the media in general are a disgrace. It looks like further downgrades are imminent. I wouldn't be surprised to see only a few western counties put to yellow and no warnings for the bulk of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Slightly off topic but Graces7 be safe!!

Aw thanks!

Waking to wind song here as Lorenzo gets ready to tramp in. Distinctly chilly too. All organised here. ( Fighting off an amorous wee cat here who will stymie typing)

Will see what it is like at first light. Black as pitch out there now...

All is well .

phormium wrote: »
    Well whatever about frightening elderly people the ones in my area will have no 'home help' tomorrow afternoon as they have been told to go home early! So tough luck if you're elderly and were relying on one.

Many meals on wheels services make sure they have meals in the freezer. There will be no harm for one day and I am sure the vulnerable needing special care will not be neglected. Cleaning can wait. A good home help will make sure they have all they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The papers are doing a George Lee on it

Mirror "winds of terror:
    Indo " perfect storm"
    Star "orange orders" kind of like that one.
    The Sun "we're next" with a picture from the azores

Jaysus

The papers are doing a George Lee on it

Mirror "winds of terror:
    Indo " perfect storm"
    Star "orange orders" kind of like that one.
    The Sun "we're next" with a picture from the azores

Jaysus

Would you expect anything less. The tabloids are hardly going to print it might be a bit windy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Boards on the ball as usual.

People in work this morning (Dublin) making out Armageddon with Bruce Willis is imminent

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

First words/sentence on Morning Ireland....'preparing for the years most violent storm'. George Lee on now....sensational!!!

Fup sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    First words/sentence on Morning Ireland....'preparing for the years most violent storm'. George Lee on now....sensational!!!

Fup sake!

About as voilent as a Sunday morning fart.

corsav6 wrote: »
    100km and hurricane don't belong in the same sentence, pure clickbait rubbish.

We're fairly exposed on the west coast so fairly uses to the winds. Worst experience was about 5 years ago where there were 150km gusts. Watching the back door bending in was not a pleasant experience.

Which is why many rural Irish houses only have a front door! Facing south. Just read the latest forecast and they now say, " 100 k and higher in coastal regions" They just altered that again.. need keeping an eye on! Not that we can do anything that we are not already doing.

Curtains will stay closed; less damage/danger if a window gets smashed. No fire lit in case the chimney is damaged... big candle lit in here for many reasons.. like mislaying lighters..

My cats are very unsettled. In and out and in again.

Out here we all just hunker down. In my first winter I thought it was uncaring but then … I was chatting at the gate with my neighbour and a visitor, She asked had I always lived here and my neighbour told her, " We realised this one was not soft; a bit tough!" High praise. You have to be able to cope without running for help. In a real emergency, fine but days like today? My "job" is to stay safe. Not to be a liability.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭malinheader

Nothing that we haven't had before. Jesus its beyond embarrassing the way the papers and rte are scaring people. How did we ever survive before.

Nothing that we haven't had before. Jesus its beyond embarrassing the way the papers and rte are scaring people. How did we ever survive before.

glad I do not read papers or listen to rte... here and met.ie is enough .
    ;)
    Maybe THAT is how we survived and survive...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think it will more or less justify the billing on the west coast, but it may underwhelm in some other parts. The forecasts need to be a little higher than most likely outcome just because an earlier turn towards land would cause the most likely forecasts to bust low, which would probably be worse than busting high.

The fact is this is already showing its hand as a powerful storm out around the M6 buoy which is about 200 miles due west of Galway Bay. It is supposed to track well offshore all day then turn towards land. Some of the outer strong wind bands will brush the coast by afternoon whether it turns or not. But if it did turn even 3-6 hours earlier than the models are saying, a much stronger wind field would move into western counties.

We are pretty confident in the models at 12-24 hours range nowadays but we can't allow overconfidence to eliminate that one in four (or lower) possibility of the stronger outcome happening. While I am not in the forecast office at Met E, this is probably what they have concluded also, better to be safe than sorry and warn of the higher end of possible outcomes. You can always ask the presenters and spokespersons to clarify the range of possible outcomes to give people a better sense of what might happen.

To put some numbers to what I am saying, it seems likely that right now, winds within 100 miles of the low have reached 90-130 km/hr. But closer to the coast the numbers will be 70-110. If that stronger wind field off the coast swerved towards the coast a bit earlier than most of the models say it will, then a conservative forecast would bust on the high side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Evelyn was just on Virgin Media, she said the storm not as bad as it as bad or as strong as it was showing yesterday. Rainfall warning also downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pangea wrote: »
    Evelyn was just on Virgin Media, she said the storm not as bad as it as bad or as strong as it was showing yesterday. Rainfall warning also downgraded.

Need to get Evelyn and George Lee in a face off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Eerily calm in Limerick city now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I admire Evelyn's ability to respond to awkward questions, the presenter asked her what is her advise, She replied what do you mean? She then said my advise is to listen to the Gardaí and Local Authorities.

Sean O Rourke on Rte Radio asked her yesterday is is it time to get the sandbags out, she said oh gosh, listen to your local authorities.

• Advertisement

Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning

8vjAp5e.jpg

Advertisement