Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I assume the go-ahead routes as part of phase 5 are also planned to start on the 24th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

As far as I remember, the 80DA, and KT82, are going to be the initial parts of those routes that will start and will fully operate once the A-spine comes in. The K is Killinarden. There's a mistake on the map I have that shows the 80 going from Ballinteer at the bottom to Ballinteer again at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Do you know which way the route will go. I'm assuming it'll just down Finglas road and and the up Ballyboggan rd?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Come on - you've been around here long enough to know the rules, people are allowed to have different opinions on your post and views just like you are allowed to have different opinions and views to them.

However the kind of post above is not acceptable as it attacks the poster rather than the post. Please can you refrain from doing so in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Advertisement

They would be yes, but as before I’d take any dates with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

When the 26 transferred from Phibsboro to Conyngham, I seem to remember from somewhere that it was was internally referred to as the 26T, but I have no idea what the T stood for.

If Conyngham will be the sole operating garage for the 80, how will that garage cope with an effective doubling of the route length without an increase of buses to cover it? The 26 seems to be struggling as it is at certain times of the day.

Just as with the other phases, buses would move around the depots and potentially buses brought back into service from the reserves.

The problem remains whether they will have the drivers to drive them.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ismaithliommilseáin

Could I please ask a question regarding the new routes, specifically the F-Spine and the E-Spine...

Background: We want to buy a house and our kids will be commuting to Trinity and UCD. We found a house close to Glasnevin cemetery off the Finglas Road but we had ruled it out as the bus connections were poor after 11.45 and the only way back at night would be to walk from Drumcondra Station or Cabra East Luas stop which would be a bit far.

However, when I read about new bus routes I thought that maybe this house near Glasnevin cemetery might still be an option. So is it correct to say that the new F-Spine bus route will allow travel to Glasnevin cemetery area after midnight and throughout the night? When will this new route be launched?

Also is it correct that the new E-Spine route will travel directly from the end of the Botanic Gardens/Botanic Road area to UCD? How long would this take and again when will this be launched?

Thank you very much for any information. I am not from Dublin so I have tried to inform myself by reading the NTA website but I just wanted to make sure that I understand these new routes correctly.

Firstly, yes it is likely that each spine will operate during the night. The exact details of frequencies are only published when each phase is being launched.

The E Spine will link Botanic Road and UCD.

The map here shows the planned network, and broadly that is what will happen, aside from minor tweaks:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

The difficult part is answering when the phases may happen, because of the severe shortage of drivers that the bus companies are suffering. They don’t have the staff to operate the current schedule let alone an expanded one.

Target launch dates have been published several times through internal NTA documents or union notices being shared publicly, but every time they have been missed.

Currently the hope seemingly is that the F Spine will phase will happen before the end of this year, and the E Spine phase in early 2024, but no one can say with any certainly that those dates will be met as they are entirely dependent on the companies having sufficient staff to operate the services, and every phase involves increased services.

It’s a “how long is a piece of string” situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ismaithliommilseáin

Thank you very much LXFlyer for that very useful information. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Steve Allen

If I lived up at the ikea end and had to switch to the E-spine going along Mobhi Rd I'd be pretty irked

Like any network change - there’s always going to be winners and losers. You’ll never please everyone. The key is not to upset the majority of users (as the original design clearly did).

It may well be that the F1 extension to IKEA will remain in place as a tweak to the final design. It’s not completely cast in stone.

The 23 would however provide an alternative route, or people could take an outbound E2 and get an F1 from there if the terminus does switch to Charlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

And then in Galway City - https://sites.google.com/view/galwaybus - some ideas (too long to post here in BOARDS) on a system different from the one proposed by BUSCONNECTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

If you were up near Ikea wouldn't you just take the E2 when it is launched ?

I suspect what they are saying is that would be slower than the current 140 route via Finglas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

Wonder where in Broombridge the L89 going to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I wonder if they'll install some shelter in Broombridge. Like a mini Liffey Valley. Be good to get a yellow box at the entrance to prevent buses from being blocked leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I spoke with one of the GAI drivers who will operate the W61/62 once live and the new date is the 25th of June. He said the reason for the further delay they were given was the councils not installing the stops/resolving issues with stops in time. Is it the NTA or council responsible for installing these? As far as he knew they have the drivers and busses to operate them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council need to have the bases installed and the NTA put in the poles/signs; I believe

They still only have the signs on one side of the road for the 139 through Maynooth, so things don't move quickly there!

All the bases are installed on the Moyglare road in Maynooth at least, they were done when the road was upgraded they just need polls and road markings from what I can see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The timetables and route maps for the W61 and W62 are now on bustimes.org - great to see some well chosen termini locations and long operating hours on both.

W61:

W62:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no S/B stop at the Maynooth Station stop - and no room to put one in easily as its on a bridge embankment - which would suggest the bus is going to have to serve the same stop in both directions. This is possible as its in a turning bay but will be a balls of a manoeuvre in peak traffic.

That said, it has a different stop ID s/b on bustimes so maybe they will just ram the bus up on the cycle lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

W4 schedule is also up on there:

I never saw that consultation go out - KCC have a habit of "forgetting" the local paper I actually buy (this has been raised in the chamber by a councillor with some weak excuse given back). The scanned ad is from the paper nobody reads this end of the county.

Would have made a submission on it had they advertised it properly.

It looks like they're putting the bus stop in the cycle lane, similar to what the council did here a real cludge of a design. I guess the 115 will use it too it either stops on the road here, pulls onto the cycle lane, or uses the stop at Railpark. The frequency of weekday and weekend services looks great and I hope a lot of school children currently driven to the campus in Moyglare Hall switch to the bus!

• Advertisement

I only knew about it as one of the local councilors posted on their Facebook about it but I completely missed the stop at the Glenroyal and thought the Moyglare stops were ok so didn't make any submission. The local councilors are still insisting the full W6 Maynooth to Tallaght is being launched and that the issues at the bridge must have been resolved. This even after they met with the NTA themselves to discuss transport in Kildare in the last couple of weeks. I can't imagine what was actually talked about but I guess it was soundbites from both sides.

Advertisement