Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You would think then that if most cyclists are drivers perhaps they should be more aware of the need for cyclists to follow the traffic regulations and to even use hand signals!

Because the 98% of drivers that break urban speed limits drivers demonstrate their awareness of traffic regulations?

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're happy to accept UK stats in this instance, but completely ignore UK police forces telling people that high vis is pointless.

UK stats which say nothing about the location of the tiny number of pedestrian deaths, whether on the footpath or cycle lane or road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You would think then that if most cyclists are drivers perhaps they should be more aware of the need for cyclists to follow the traffic regulations and to even use hand signals!

Your post is Trumpian, high vis/day glo, whatever your turn on at the moment, has nothing to do with traffic regulations or law. Which you know. And why the hell are you now introducing hand signals? Are you that bored and sad for a row you need to add additional rubbish?

We're sick of telling you this, I've pointed it out to you, amongst the "cyclists" you have issues with there's those who've done an advanced driving course, more qualified than any PSV driver, I think there's a HGV licenced driver, and a previous Garda driver, although I think he has the good sense not to get involved in this crap.

I've only got a full clean licence for over 20 years, so what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah lads. Can we get onto helmets now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Except that cyclists are supposed to be on roads, while joggers are not supposed to be on cycle lanes.
    Cyclists aren't supposed to be on footpaths either, but guess what ...
    that doesn't stop them.
    Where specifically did I justify cyclists incursions on footpaths please?
    You spent the whole thread screeching "bUt MoToRiStS bReAk MuH sPeEd LiMiTs" in a thinly veiled attempt to deflect from cyclists and their profilgate lawbreaking. You may not have explicitly justified it, but did so much what-about-ery that it was basically the same thing.
    But it is fascinating to see your efforts to constantly downplay the significance of speeding drivers, relative to your efforts to big up the significance of cyclists on pavements or cyclists breaking red lights. The evidence is fairly clear as to which category of road users results in two or three deaths a week.
    This is what leads me to conclude that this isn’t a safety issue at all for you. It is just your own personal bias, banging on for ten years here about the dangers of cyclists, ignoring all the evidence to the contrary.
    I freely admit to having a "bias" against sanctimonious hypocrites. You got me there :D
    As are cyclists – you remember that article I shared with you a couple of pages back? It’s hard to accept your claim that most motorists aren’t muppets, given the evidence of widespread speeding, widespread mobile phone use, endemic red light jumping by motorists.
    I'm fairly sure I referred to the majority of motorists as not being muppets. The majority of motorists do not drink and drive. The majority of motorists do not take the piss with speed. (I'm ignoring your 98% figure given the reasons outlined earlier). Fairly sure I accepted that some motorists are muppets.
    The only thing it proves is that, just like the smoking ban nearly 20 years ago, no country has really taken this seriously to date.
    Where to start? :eek: Firstly, the smoking ban and road safety are entirely different problems. Secondly, I find it difficult to believe that nowhere in the world do people care about road safety? That's a really big claim!
    As previously explained, I’m dumping on Irish motorists because I live in Ireland and this is an Irish discussion board. I’m not singling out Irish motorists as relatively good or bad internationally. The real issue is the 2 or 3 people killed each week by Irish motorists.

It’s not an either/or choice. It is possible to drive to get around, deliver to factories and worksites without killing people, if drivers will start actually complying with the law.
    I've proven that your dumping on Irish motorists is unwarranted. As to the bolded statement, that is simply not true. You have provided no evidence for it, I have provided strong evidence against it.
    Could you give any examples of recent road deaths that were unavoidable, ones that wouldn’t have been avoided by better driving standards, or better medical checks for drivers? Or even hypothetical scenarios of unavoidable road deaths? What percentage of our 150-ish road deaths each year are truly unavoidable, do you think?
    As to the percentage, I suspect the majority were unavoidable. I base that view on both Irish history and global context. I suspect that the vast majority of avoidable fatalities are actually being avoided. We have motorways to safely accommodate fast long distance traffic, and our culture no longer glorifies driving home from the pub after a bender. That's avoiding a lot of accidents.

As to specific incidents, the two relatives I referred to earlier, I suspect both of those cases were unavoidable, though naturally I can't be sure.
    And good for you, but of course logically, if a large percentage of cyclists also drive, then surely a large percentage of Andrews speeding drivers and non hands free phone users must be cyclists too, go figure!
    Well, if 98% of drivers break urban speed limits and the majority of cyclists are also drivers, then it must follow that the majority of cyclists are also speeders. The bastards :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Renko certainly went full Nidge with that post alright! The mask slipped big time, the hypocrisy laid bare for all to see...
    I wonder is it all runners that he would plough through or has he a certain type he wants to injure. Is there a runner equivalent of the lycra clad tour de France wannabes?

What if there is a young kid out for a run in the cycle lane or a middle aged woman doing her c25k run,will he cycle straight through them also because they had the nerve not to move for the great man....?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What offence are you referring to? What law is being broken by a cyclist (s) cycling on the road? Any motorist that can’t or doesn’t have the confidence/experience to overtake a cyclist(s) is the one delaying traffic.

Read my posts. I already outlined it in detail.

Anywat, this thread demonstrates one thing, there's a lot of self entitled assholes in the world who plain and simple won't make any effort to facilitate others.

Pedestrians, use the path and stay out of the cycle lanes and off the roads where possible.

Cyclists, use the lanes where possible, stay out of the pedestrian areas and show some consideration to drivers.

Drivers, use your mirrors, accept that cyclists have rights too and need space. don't park blocking cycle lanes and paths.

Now, can't we all just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

Bloody kids cycling on the footpath! Geez! Call the cops!

https://twitter.com/edwardlamb/status/1268883410950467584?s=21

But what about the person recording the video - presumably the father? Does being in the company of your child justify cycling on the path?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anywat, this thread demonstrates one thing, there's a lot of self entitled assholes in the world who plain and simple won't make any effort to facilitate others.

Pedestrians, use the path and stay out of the cycle lanes and off the roads where possible.

Cyclists, use the lanes where possible, stay out of the pedestrian areas and show some consideration to drivers.

Drivers, use your mirrors, accept that cyclists have rights too and need space. don't park blocking cycle lanes and paths.

You posted a link to the law that states cyclist are legally required to use cycle lanes on a pedestrianised street or on a contra flow lane. It's perfectly legal for cyclists to cycle on the road. Yes we can all get along... now that we have to adhere to social distancing, maybe now we'll get 2 meter space from motorists when overtaking.

1 sheep2 wrote: »
    But what about the person recording the video - presumably the father? Does being in the company of your child justify cycling on the path?

Could be the mother? Cycling on the pavement is illegal,regardless of age or gender. Using a phone while cycling is also not recommended. Parking a car on the pavement is also illegal and the car that passes by is probably speeding! Did I miss anything? And I did say "call the cops!"

• Advertisement

Yep. I've no issue cycling on the path with my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Difficult because very few stats, especially for Ireland are taken or published, however, the figures provided by the ONS in the UK for deaths caused by cyclists are availiable. Apparently the figures for injuries are subject to another department.

+
    +
    | Deaths (persons) |
    |
    |
    | Year | (a) Pedestrian hit by | (b) Pedestrian hit by |
    | | pedal cycle | car, pick-up or truck |
    |
    +
    +
    |
    | 2006 | 3 | 233 |
    |
    +
    +
    |
    | 2007 | 6 | 267 |
    |
    +
    +
    |
    | 2008 | 3 | 247 |
    |
    +
    +
    |
    | 2009 | 0 | 141 |
    |
    +
    +
    |
    | 2010 | 2 | 123 |
    +
    +

So though undoubtedly motorised vehicles cause more deaths, to say that cyclists on footpaths aren't dangerous is disingenuous to say the least.

Over the last 15 + years in Ireland

Death of pedestrian involving collision with cyclist : 1 - did not occur on footpath

Death of cyclist involving collision with pedestrian: 1 - occurred on cycle lane

Death of cyclist and pedestrian involved with collision with motorists: thousands - occurred on roads, cycle lanes and footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

Could be the mother? Cycling on the pavement is illegal,regardless of age or gender. Using a phone while cycling is also not recommended. Parking a car on the pavement is also illegal and the car that passes by is probably speeding! Did I miss anything? And I did say "call the cops!"

Lol, so you show mock outrage at the child on the footpath, which almost anyone is happy to permit. I point out that the child is not alone and is in fact accompanied by an adult. And you then immediately widen the debate to include cars. You people are so slippery!
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yep. I've no issue cycling on the path with my son.

No issues, have you not?! How lovely. A fine role model for your son.

No issues, have you not?! How lovely. A fine role model for your son.

Yeah I know. Outrageous. When people drive on the road without putting us needlessly at risk, we'll give the road a go.

I'd actually consider myself a good role model - he's not wedded to the car as a sole means of getting around. Sorry if this upsets you.

Lol, so you show mock outrage at the child on the footpath, which almost anyone is happy to permit.

Lol yeah I know..but hey, The cars are the reason they are cycling on the pavement. Believe it or not, they would much prefer not to cycle on the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Your post is Trumpian, high vis/day glo, whatever your turn on at the moment, has nothing to do with traffic regulations or law. Which you know. And why the hell are you now introducing hand signals? Are you that bored and sad for a row you need to add additional rubbish?

We're sick of telling you this, I've pointed it out to you, amongst the "cyclists" you have issues with there's those who've done an advanced driving course, more qualified than any PSV driver, I think there's a HGV licenced driver, and a previous Garda driver, although I think he has the good sense not to get involved in this crap.

I've only got a full clean licence for over 20 years, so what do I know.

And I would warrant that those advanced drivers know how and when to use hand signals when on a bicycle.

And once again I'll tell you I actually DON'T have an issue with cyclists, I do have issues with people who can't formulate a coherent debate on a forum without resorting to insulting my driving, you don't know me, you don't know if I drive like a loon or if I drive like someone who's done an advanced driving course. I haven't questioned your ability as a cyclist, motorist or even as a member of society So at least try to keep it civil.

beauf wrote: »
    No you didn't.

But the topic was was dragged into this thread by a motorist.

I'm not so sure of that the first mention of hi viz is

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113608213&postcount=273 from BeardySi, unfortuneately Boards 503 errors is preventing me from seeing where he posts, so I can't confirm or deny if he is a motorist

The second mention is
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113625830&postcount=376 from Galwaytt again 503 errors prevent me from seeing his posting history but I gather he is a motorcyclist and has valid views on visibility of vulnerable road users.

The 3rd mention is
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113625930&postcount=379 from Magic who I know is a confirmed cycling fan and from there we know where it went :)

You're happy to accept UK stats in this instance, but completely ignore UK police forces telling people that high vis is pointless.

Yes I do ignore posts on Twitter, as so many of them are actually from a non professional social media employee lumped into the position by some other non media savvy boss. Look at the standards from our own Garda Twitter feed, depending on who has the job that day.

I will however refer you to the 2017 Danish Study
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753517313528
    Highlights

A randomised controlled trial with 6793 cyclists shows a reduced accident risk due to a yellow bicycle jacket.

The test group had 47% fewer multiparty accidents with personal injury.

The test group had 55% fewer multiparty accidents against motorised vehicles.

That would seem to go against that tweet, now it's quite feasible that due to close proximity of Police Officers to things like accidents, where other road users rubber neck that they may feel the Hi Viz doesn't do a good enough job which is probably why one of the first tasks on arrival is to secure the safety of the area, possibly by blocking a lane with the patrol vehicle.
     Make the scene safe;
     Take immediate steps necessary to preserve life;
     Take steps to preserve the scene by identifying, protecting and securing available
    evidence;
     Identify those present at the scene in particular the victim and any suspects or
    witnesses using form RCA20;
     A unit should be appointed to act as a “control vehicle” at the scene of a major
    collision to keep FCR updated and to remain detached from dealing with the
    collision itself. This unit should oversee and co-ordinate the arrival of other units.

Bloody kids cycling on the footpath! Geez! Call the cops!

https://twitter.com/edwardlamb/status/1268883410950467584?s=21

Ah sure it's good practice for weaving through traffic when they do go on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Lol yeah I know..but hey, The cars are the reason they are cycling on the pavement. Believe it or not, they would much prefer not to cycle on the pavement.

This is not true. If they preferred not to cycle on the pavement then they would walk.

• Advertisement

Isn't it funny though, how you never thought of doing the same kind of analysis on the causes of incidents involving cyclists, instead of rushing to the lazy hi-vis option?

Did they post in a thread complaining of drivers needing Hi Viz on houses etc. Keep digging, you'll find oil yet

Did they post in a thread complaining of drivers needing Hi Viz on houses etc. Keep digging, you'll find oil yet

And you were the one complaining about people not being able to put a coherent argument together? Sheesh.

Are you planning on continuing to ignore the question about how you agreed that hi-vis stripes would improve visibility of a dark car in a dark environment, such as nighttime.

Could you clarify what specifically you mean by 'show some consideration to drivers'? Are we talking doffing of hats here or is it the usual oul 'get out of my way cos my journey is obviously more important than yours'?

ewc78 wrote: »
    Renko certainly went full Nidge with that post alright! The mask slipped big time, the hypocrisy laid bare for all to see...
    I wonder is it all runners that he would plough through or has he a certain type he wants to injure. Is there a runner equivalent of the lycra clad tour de France wannabes?

What if there is a young kid out for a run in the cycle lane or a middle aged woman doing her c25k run,will he cycle straight through them also because they had the nerve not to move for the great man....?

It often gives me great reassurance that I'm on the right track when people twist my posts and make up stuff that I didn't actually say so that they can find something to argue with.

And you were the one complaining about people not being able to put a coherent argument together? Sheesh.

Are you planning on continuing to ignore the question about how you agreed that hi-vis stripes would improve visibility of a dark car in a dark environment, such as nighttime.

Until such time as error 503 doesn't keep appearing when I'm searching yeah, but I'm not so sure I said that at all. Maybe you can link me to where I said it so I can check its context.

It often gives me great reassurance that I'm on the right track when people twist my posts and make up stuff that I didn't actually say so that they can find something to argue with.

Nah I think you did say you'd basically run them over if they didn't get out of your way unless they were doing it for a singular reason.
    If you want lanes for comfort jogging, maybe you should get out and lobby for about 50 years and get a few crumbs dropped from the big table. If you run against me in a bike lane,, you'll be moving out of my way, unless you are doing so to give room to a pedestrian.

EDIT

Raises the question of course of if they were giving room to a cyclist on the footpath would you still be intent on making them move out of your way, them being a vulnerable road user and all that entails?

You posted a link to the law that states cyclist are legally required to use cycle lanes on a pedestrianised street or on a contra flow lane. It's perfectly legal for cyclists to cycle on the road. Yes we can all get along... now that we have to adhere to social distancing, maybe now we'll get 2 meter space from motorists when overtaking.

I suggest you read even further. I outlined the law and outlined a case where someone was found guilty. I'm not repeating myself over and over again

Could you clarify what specifically you mean by 'show some consideration to drivers'? Are we talking doffing of hats here or is it the usual oul 'get out of my way cos my journey is obviously more important than yours'?

Do you really need me to explain consideration for others or just looking for an argument?

If you can safely cycle in a cycle Lane which leaves the road free, you should. Regardless of legality, it's basic manners.

Do you notice it's only cyclists that have an issue with what I'm saying? No drivers trying to justify their behavior, or pedestrians.

Nah I think you did say you'd basically run them over if they didn't get out of your way unless they were doing it for a singular reason.

EDIT

Raises the question of course of if they were giving room to a cyclist on the footpath would you still be intent on making them move out of your way, them being a vulnerable road user and all that entails?

It's of course interesting to note the difference between what I "basically said" (your words) and what I actually said. There's that nice warm reassuring feeling again.

• Advertisement

Do you really need me to explain consideration for others or just looking for an argument?

If you can safely cycle in a cycle Lane which leaves the road free, you should. Regardless of legality, it's basic manners.

And just to be clear, do you expect cyclists to 'show consideration' (your words) on cycle lanes like these?

https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes

Do you expect motorists to show consideration by using motorways where available and staying off local roads?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement