Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,959 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I am delighted that Ben Affleck is getting caught up in this scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm sure it's been suggested somewhere but how about Ben Assflick from now on? Too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Maureen O'Hara eluded to similar behaviour she endured with John Ford and others. But said she couldn't say and would take it to her grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

One wonders what Thompson would respond with if questioned about female teachers having sex with (/ statutorily raping) young boys. Would she call that evidence of there being a crisis of "extreme femininity"? Course not. She spouts on about equality all the time and yet something like happens and she immediately comes out with sexist claptrap that would suggest Harvey Weinstein's real problem is that he is too damn masculine. Sheesh.

I can see how you would read it like this but the truth is that most women have experienced sexual harassment, several times in their lifetime and it usually starts by being catcalled & whistled at when we are about 13. The Weinstein revelations are just not that shocking to women unfortunately. There's a sad air of 'Yup, that's the sh*t that goes on' about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Could you specify the allegations about abuse in the above 3 cases?

Otherwise it kinda looks like a "these people died young...ergo I'm guessing they were abused".

Which seems to me to be a reductive way of looking at very complex issues, celebrity and the end of celebrity, wealth and dwindling wealth, power, depression, drugs, alcohol and yes, possibly, abuse...and all on the mind of a young and immature person.

Drew Barrymore had a cocaine addiction at 12yrs of age. Giving coke to a 12yr old is abuse enough but you have to question who wold do that and why? The addiction problems of many of these child stars start on movie sets, people are literally plying kids with drugs and who knows what else lead from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Jake1 wrote: »
    Same here, smarmy looking. Ive always thought that marriage was a step toward his future in politics.
    Cynical, I know, but thats what Ive thought.

There were persistent rumours a few years ago that Clooney was strongly thinking about running for the Presidental election in the U.S., until Hillary Clinton quietly pulled him aside and said something to the effect of 'it's my turn, George'...

As for that wife of his, Amal Clooney. She comes across as one of the phoniest poseurs I have ever seen.
    It seems that in every video of her being interviewed she has to swipe her hair in a theatrical fashion at least once. ("Oh, am I on camera, darling?" she's almost saying...)
    Check out this BBC clip at 0:33 to see what I mean:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41356666/amal-clooney-and-is-victim-demand-justice-for-yazidis

For someone who claims to be a defender of the Yazidi people, she has a peculiar habit of overdressing for the cameras and hijacking the event to make sure she is the centre of attention. Strange, that.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were representing people whose families have been systemically cleansed in an attempted Holocaust, I would probably avoid turning the event into my own personal fashion show.

You know things are bad when there are more fashion paparazzi than news reporters at your UN Security Council appearance...

Also, it may interest you to know that Amal Clooney's uncle is one of the biggest arms dealers in the Middle East:
    • Ziad Takieddin, Amal's uncle, is her father's brother. He is a notorious businessman and arms dealer charged in France for corruption and fraud.
    • Tarek Miknas ( Amal's first cousin) recently married the daughter of slain Bugarian mobster Ilya Pavlov. Amal officiated at the wedding, with George in tow.
    • Amal's father Ramzi K Alamuddin has close ties to Druze leader and Hamas supporter Walid Jumblat.

https://www.popdust.com/get-to-know-amal-clooney-and-her-family-connections-1891334331.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziad_Takieddine

Funny how the 'human rights campaigner' and her 'humanitarian' husband George Clooney are strangely quiet about these shady characters in the family.

She comes from good stock, that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

As for that wife of his, Amal Clooney. She comes across as one of the phoniest poseurs I have ever seen.
    It seems that in every video of her being interviewed she has to swipe her hair in a theatrical fashion at least once. ("Oh, am I on camera, darling?" she's almost saying...)

She touched her hair! She's a phoney!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is getting weird. According to TMZ Weinstein's contract with his company essentially allowed him to get away with sexual misconduct so long as he paid out any losses to the company from his own pocket.

Harvey Weinstein may have been fired illegally by The Weinstein Company, a company that wrote a contract that said Weinstein could get sued over and over for sexual harassment and as long as he shelled out money, that was good enough for the Company.

TMZ is privy to Weinstein's 2015 employment contract, which says if he gets sued for sexual harassment or any other "misconduct" that results in a settlement or judgment against TWC, all Weinstein has to do is pay what the company's out, along with a fine, and he's in the clear.

What the actual hell?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why would you think that is weird? Sure, according to you the girls were all getting something out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

She touched her hair! She's a phoney!!

Strange how you ignored the rest of the content of the post though, isn't it?

I guess people really are willing to give celebrities a free pass on some horrible stuff by focusing on the most frivolous accusations and ignoring the more serious points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Wibbs wrote: »
    This is getting weird. According to TMZ Weinstein's contract with his company essentially allowed him to get away with sexual misconduct so long as he paid out any losses to the company from his own pocket.

Harvey Weinstein may have been fired illegally by The Weinstein Company, a company that wrote a contract that said Weinstein could get sued over and over for sexual harassment and as long as he shelled out money, that was good enough for the Company.

TMZ is privy to Weinstein's 2015 employment contract, which says if he gets sued for sexual harassment or any other "misconduct" that results in a settlement or judgment against TWC, all Weinstein has to do is pay what the company's out, along with a fine, and he's in the clear.

What the actual hell?

Jaysus....there's more or less admission they known what he was up to with years

The way things are going,they'll have to build a special prision for all these lads from hollywood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What the actual hell?

They were fine with him harassing women, so long as it didn't cost them money.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Is it possible that sexual abuse is so rife and common place in Hollywood that this is a standardised clause in most celebrity employment contracts?

I'm sure that the stuff that goes into an employment contract over there differs hugely from the bog standard one you or I might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

River Phoenix-his parents were part of a religious cult that endorsed 'adults having sex with children' tho claiming they left it before then. Despite River claiming to have had sex when he was four. I believe there may have been something, whatever it was. Died of an overdose aged 23.
    Good post, there is a litany alright. I just singled out this one because I had a brief fling with someone, really liked her, but she got really strange and then broke it off quickly. She let me know a little after it was because her family (12 siblings I think it was) in Brazil were in the Children of God; she was the third youngest any every one of them had ran away to Canada or the US the moment they turned 18 (her parents were Canadian and American but had moved to Brazil with the COG).

She only said a bit of what happened because the trauma was clearly huge even if she hid it well from others, but the stories of what goes on there were harrowing, children literally passed around between families for days or weeks at a go as if (to copy a line someone else used earlier in the thread) like sweets. I would without question believe that River Phoenix was raped when he was four.

You should look up 'Mo Letters' (letters sent from the founder/leader), here is one and a TLDR version (apparently also officially issues), this is absolutely depressing stuff though.

What the actual hell?

Some of the figures floating around is that Weinstein has paid at least $13 million to keep people quiet/payouts/bribes etc... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

optogirl wrote: »
    I can see how you would read it like this but the truth is that most women have experienced sexual harassment, several times in their lifetime and it usually starts by being catcalled & whistled at when we are about 13. The Weinstein revelations are just not that shocking to women unfortunately. There's a sad air of 'Yup, that's the sh*t that goes on' about it.
    I agree with this sentiment. To many women it's not shocking that it happens, just shocking that it's out in the open.

However, I disagree vehemently with Thompson's description of it as "extreme masculinity". To me, masculinity has nothing to do with it; it's abuse of power and taking advantage of vulnerable people. When I think of the men in my life, no matter how masculine they are, they would never engage in something like this. This is about ****ty people, and I don't think it helps for people like Thompson to describe it as being part of "masculinity" that this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Strange how you ignored the rest of the content of the post though, isn't it?

I guess people really are willing to give celebrities a free pass on some horrible stuff by focusing on the most frivolous accusations and ignoring the more serious points.

I ignored the rest of the point because she's being held responsible for actions of others i.e. not herself and I don't see how she is responsible for these actions.

So your 'serious point' her in a thread about women being abused by Harvey Weinstein is that Amal Clooney should be held accountable for actions of her relatives (not related to Harvey FYI).

Right thanks, so glad we gave this point attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lux23 wrote: »
    Why would you think that is weird? Sure, according to you the girls were all getting something out of this.
    Excuse me? Please point out where I said that, or with respect, jog on with your dishonest nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

I ignored the rest of the point because she's being held responsible for actions of others i.e. not herself and I don't see how she is responsible for these actions.

So your 'serious point' her in a thread about women being abused by Harvey Weinstein is that Amal Clooney should be held accountable for actions of her relatives (not related to Harvey FYI).

Bizarrely this topic appears to have attracted an impressive amount of misogyny..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Where can I get a dressing gown with a door in it?

conorhal wrote: »
    Drew Barrymore had a cocaine addiction at 12yrs of age. Giving coke to a 12yr old is abuse enough but you have to question who wold do that and why? The addiction problems of many of these child stars start on movie sets, people are literally plying kids with drugs and who knows what else lead from that?

If we look at the behaviour of Miley Cyrus, and the current meltdown of Bella Thorne, along with all the other child stars like Lyndsay Lohan etc, there is a very common recurring theme with them.

Disney child stars. People need to start digging at the root here.

People tend to sneer when they hear the words 'Cultural Marxism', but if you look at the effect these disturbed celebrities have had on popular culture (particularly on other children who worship them), then it makes you wonder who is pushing this degenerate agenda, and why...

Lux23 wrote: »

I think it's fair to say that some of the girls were getting something out of it?

The way I would see the situation is that you are going into an "audition" where success would set you up to earn millions of dollars every year for the rest of your life. The downside is that it is these sleazy bastards that will say who gets the nod and who goes and gets a normal person job.

When push comes to shove I don't think anyone can really say what they'd do for that kind of money.

Obviously these people in positions of power are abusing their power and that's not right. However, let's also accept that there are some people who will allow them to abuse that power if there is a big pile of cash on offer.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who do whatever was asked in exchange for a few million bucks. I'm sure there are a few who would even go out of their way to offer to do something "extra" to get the contract. Then they'd just go off an enjoy the money and never really question the rights and wrongs of the whole thing.

Competition for a seat at the Hollywood table is probably quite intense so if 10 equally talented women are up for the same multi million dollar role then are you telling me that it's not going to enter someones mind to maybe offer something extra or imply that something extra could be on the cards?

It's a vicious cycle, I think.

When we bring child actors into the equation there is also a question of how much the parents know and how much they are willing to ignore.

The hiring practices of the entire industry need to be exposed.

I think it's a valid point. These celebrity social circles seem to be full of people who preach about being good and doing the right thing but who completely ignore horrible stuff happening right on their doorstep.

Plenty of people are giving all different types of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

There were persistent rumours a few years ago that Clooney was strongly thinking about running for the Presidental election in the U.S., until Hillary Clinton quietly pulled him aside and said something to the effect of 'it's my turn, George'...

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41356666/amal-clooney-and-is-victim-demand-justice-for-yazidis

For someone who claims to be a defender of the Yazidi people, she has a peculiar habit of overdressing for the cameras and hijacking the event to make sure she is the centre of attention. Strange, that.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were representing people whose families have been systemically cleansed in an attempted Holocaust, I would probably avoid turning the event into my own personal fashion show.

You know things are bad when there are more fashion paparazzi than news reporters at your UN Security Council appearance...

Also, it may interest you to know that Amal Clooney's uncle is one of the biggest arms dealers in the Middle East:
    • Ziad Takieddin, Amal's uncle, is her father's brother. He is a notorious businessman and arms dealer charged in France for corruption and fraud.
    • Tarek Miknas ( Amal's first cousin) recently married the daughter of slain Bugarian mobster Ilya Pavlov. Amal officiated at the wedding, with George in tow.
    • Amal's father Ramzi K Alamuddin has close ties to Druze leader and Hamas supporter Walid Jumblat.

https://www.popdust.com/get-to-know-amal-clooney-and-her-family-connections-1891334331.html

Funny how the 'human rights campaigner' and her 'humanitarian' husband George Clooney are strangely quiet about these shady characters in the family.

I completely agree with you on this. I always judge women on how she brushes her hair to one side. What an absolute phony. She needs to just go away and shave her head.

Don't get me started on her family. She should hang her head in shame. It's 100% her fault that her uncle is an arms dealer and she has shady cousins.

I don't care that she has worked on human rights cases to get journalists out of dangerous prisons, or put her life at risk to challenge the Turkish government to address the Turkish slaughter on Turkish-Armenians, and call it for what it really is, Genocide, or that she's taken on a corrupt Turkish politician, Doğu Perinçek to overturn his conviction. who care about all that.

What an absolute overdressing, hair brushing cow this women is. She just needs to go away and never be seen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Imagine that you are going to the Late Late Show tonight to be an audience member.
    You finally get your chance to appear on the show, it was always a bucket list thing to do.
    When you get to RTE you are asked to go to a waiting area.
    Here you are introduced to one of the Producer's who is acting as a floor manager.
    He/She is brusque, rude and a strikes you as an asshole.
    You say nothing not wanting to cause a scene.
    You are told explicitly the rules that you must adhere to.
    No talking, no shouting and no trouble making.
    You feel like you're all being treated like a child.

One person says as much, that there's no need to be like that and the Producer gives the naysayer a dressing down, these are the rules. like it or lump it. It is insulting, unprofessional, bullying behavior.
    They are told if they didn't like it then there was the door.
    The person who spoke up tell's them that they are an asshole and the Producer calls security and the person and their partner are removed from the building. The message is clear. Keep your mouth shut and do as you're told.

While mingling with the crowd, the same Producer sidles up to you and asks to speak with you in private in the corner of the room. They tell you that the seating arrangements are pre-assigned and that you are all the way in the back. The truth is they aren't. They are seated on a first come first seated basis. They are lying to you. They tell you that were you to slip them a '50' there and then that they can change that no problem. They're the floor manager, what they say goes and they will look to get you in the front row.

You now have two options. You've seen them have someone thrown out, you can sit as planned way in the back but you have the chance for the cost of a mere 50 euro to be in the front seat. You think thoughts like what's the harm, I'll never get this chance again etc. You take them up on the offer to that end. In RTE, it is an open secret that the producer does this regularly. However, they have the reputation for being a malevolent bully. There are also rumors that they have gotten people sacked in the past. So people say nothing about it. The producer in question is connected with the higher up's in RTE.

You keep it to yourself in future, embarrassed at being exploited and giving that asshole their bribe. You could make it known that seating for favours was a 'thing' in RTE, you could warn about future audiences to be vigilant but there was no way you could prove it though, it would be your word against theirs, and it was all in cash, and the producer in question is known to be friendly with government ministers, barristers etc who would be perfectly willing to speak up for their friend. But, at least you got to sit at the front and you enjoyed the experience after all it was 'only' 50 euro.

Now I'm not belittling actual sexual harassment and assault in that analogy nor suggesting this actually happens in RTE. When you foster a culture of that's the way things are done, it's the way it is always done, then in such an environment people of dubious morals and character will exploit it. In the analogy above it is financial not sexual as in Hollywood.

In time, the producer happens to say this to someone who is themselves as connected as they are. They raise the matter with the board who for PR reasons say the manager will be disciplined. A reporter get's hold of the story and writes a report, a public backlash begins, the same government ministers and barristers condemn the producer for such behavior. People then come out and say that they too were bribed by the producer in question, sometimes up to 200 euro. Many refused and kept quiet, some stumped up the cash. The producer is then fired after this backlash to protect the organisation and hung out to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Neyite wrote: »
    Is it possible that sexual abuse is so rife and common place in Hollywood that this is a standardised clause in most celebrity employment contracts?

I'm sure that the stuff that goes into an employment contract over there differs hugely from the bog standard one you or I might have.

I think you will find that a contract can not condone or permit something which is illegal. If you have a non-disclosure clause in a contract and you witness something that is illegal, you can report it without penalty as the non-disclosure part of the contract can't cover that.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that some of the girls were getting something out of it?

The way I would see the situation is that you are going into an "audition" where success would set you up to earn millions of dollars every year for the rest of your life. The downside is that it is these sleazy bastards that will say who gets the nod and who goes and gets a normal person job.

When push comes to shove I don't think anyone can really say what they'd do for that kind of money.

Obviously these people in positions of power are abusing their power and that's not right. However, let's also accept that there are some people who will allow them to abuse that power if there is a big pile of cash on offer.

I think the confusion comes from who "the girls" in question are. There are almost undoubtedly girls who either knew or accepted that they'd give these executives a little something in order to further their careers.

But are they the ones coming forward now? It's unlikely. I'd say those ones are keeping pretty quiet.

The girls who are coming forward now are likely the ones who didn't want to do those things to further their careers, but were either forced to or felt compelled to out of fear/intimidation.

So while I agree absolutely that there are women who knew what they were getting into and accepted it in order to advance their careers (for example there was an article posted where an actor warned an actress off meeting with Weinstein because of what he'd heard unaware she was already sleeping with Weinstein, told him, and Weinstein told the guy he'd never work in a Miramax movie again), "the girls" are not one group. There are actresses who slept with producers/directors/executives willingly, and those who were forced to (or escaped from).

I would take it that the actresses coming forward with their stories now are ones from the latter group, not the former.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I completely agree with you on this. I always judge women on how she brushes her hair to one side. What an absolute phony. She needs to just go away and shave her head.

Don't get me started on her family. She should hang her head in shame. It's 100% her fault that her uncle is an arms dealer and she has shady cousins.

I don't care that she has worked on human rights cases to get journalists out of dangerous prisons, or put her life at risk to challenge the Turkish government to address the Turkish slaughter on Turkish-Armenians, and call it for what it really is, Genocide, or that she's taken on a corrupt Turkish politician, Doğu Perinçek to overturn his conviction. who care about all that.

What an absolute overdressing, hair brushing cow this women is. She just needs to go away and never be seen again.

I think maybe what's happening here is 2 interpretations of a situation are butting heads.

On one hand we can say that the individual is responsible for their own actions. So the abuses within Hollywood are down to individual people doing terrible things on their own or in their own twisted groups.

On the other hand we can say that there is an overall culture in Hollywood that has to be held accountable for enabling certain individuals.

From one perspective you are right she hasn't done anything wrong and actually is an objectively outstanding person.

From the other perspective she is part of a system that destroys lives and in a lot of ways she is in a position to do something about it but keeps silent because it's not her job to deal with it.

I don't know how you can resolve that.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think you will find that a contract can not condone or permit something which is illegal. If you have a non-disclosure clause in a contract and you witness something that is illegal, you can report it without penalty as the non-disclosure part of the contract can't cover that.

Yes I know that. But that kind of thing might hold up legally in Hollywood, but professionally your name would be mud if you reported that the A+ Lister who worked on the movie with you was snorting cocaine off a hookers arse. Reality is that the lawyers for the movie, the production company and that A-lister will come after you and make sure you are discredited whatever way they can.

What I meant was that there would be a clause along the lines of that the company cannot be held liable for the conduct of the employee in certain circumstances and that the employee must engage their own legal representation not use in-house counsel. Worded in a more lawyerly and legal way of course.

Penn wrote: »
    I think the confusion comes from who "the girls" in question are. There are almost undoubtedly girls who either knew or accepted that they'd give these executives a little something in order to further their careers.

But are they the ones coming forward now? It's unlikely. I'd say those ones are keeping pretty quiet.

The girls who are coming forward now are likely the ones who didn't want to do those things to further their careers, but were either forced to or felt compelled to out of fear/intimidation.

So while I agree absolutely that there are women who knew what they were getting into and accepted it in order to advance their careers (for example there was an article posted where an actor warned an actress off meeting with Weinstein because of what he'd heard unaware she was already sleeping with Weinstein, told him, and Weinstein told the guy he'd never work in a Miramax movie again), "the girls" are not one group. There are actresses who slept with producers/directors/executives willingly, and those who were forced to (or escaped from).

I would take it that the actresses coming forward with their stories now are ones from the latter group, not the former.
    As Joe Rogan said, we're hearing about the missed swings right now. How many times did he chance it and it worked?

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Yes I know that. But that kind of thing might hold up legally in Hollywood, but professionally your name would be mud if you reported that the A+ Lister who worked on the movie with you was snorting cocaine off a hookers arse. Reality is that the lawyers for the movie, the production company and that A-lister will come after you and make sure you are discredited whatever way they can.

What I meant was that there would be a clause along the lines of that the company cannot be held liable for the conduct of the employee in certain circumstances and that the employee must engage their own legal representation not use in-house counsel. Worded in a more lawyerly and legal way of course.

Once again, you can't put in a contract a clause absolving you from the law. Nothing illegal can hold up legally in Hollywood!

A studio can't put in a clause absolving itself of responsibility for the behaviour of A towards B, if the law would considered that they have a duty of care towards B. When Marlon Brando was anally raping Maria Schneider on set, if she had screamed 'stop filming, he's raping me, help!' and no one did anything to intervene, it wouldn't matter what any contracts said, the studio would have been liable no matter what any contract said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

And yet I wouldn't be surprised if she wins a Nobel Peace Prize in a few years. Being closely related to or celebrated in Hollywood seems to help.

In my opinion, Ronan Farrow is one of the main heroes in all this story.

It took a man to call out another man and that's the main tragedy of the entire story. The idea that some of the male stars in Hollywood didn't know about Weinstein's antics doesn't hold water. They seemed to have all known and yet turned a blind eye. Shameful really.

I would say there are a few broad categories for how these things generally go and probably these all influence influence each other.

A. The audition is performed in a professional manner and the best person gets the job. (This is what we would want 100% of the time)

B. The audition is professional but a certain person gets the job due to nepotism.

C. The person who gets the job gets it because they offered "favors" to the people running the audition.

D. The people running the audition imply that it might be possible to sway them in some way. The person who gets the job willingly does what was requested.

E. The people running the audition outright coerce a candidate into doing something they do not want to do to get the job.

F. I think we don't need to go into detail on the worst case scenario here.

(For E and F, they probably engage in this behavior outside of auditions too)

The big question is how much of Hollywood's hiring practices lines up with my category A here.

How widespread are the other types of hiring practice and how much of an "open secret" are these kind of things.

I think the prevalence of situations C and D here would have a significant influence on the prevalence of situations E and F.

What happens if you complain that B, C, D, E or F either happened to you or you witnessed it happening? Career suicide?

Maybe a problem is created where bad people feel emboldened to push the boundaries of what is acceptable and what they can get away with.

Meanwhile, otherwise good people just shrug and say "well, that's the way it is, you wouldn't believe the stuff I did to get my first role but it paid for this house so..."

It's very depressing. The entire industry should take a good look at itself after this rather than just throw Weinstein to the wolves and then wait for it to blow over so they can get back to business as usual.

For what it's worth I do believe that all of the women who have came forward so far would fall under E & F and that is totally unacceptable.

The most worrying possibility is that a very large percentage of the men, women and children in Hollywood have been victimized in some way and that it's deemed acceptable because of the money involved.

The level of political power these people appear to hold is incredibly troubling.

Looking at the fact America has a celebrity president now and that his rival was also a bit of a shady character raises serious questions.

It reminds me of our situation here in Ireland with certain institutions enabling and covering up abuses of power.

kerplun k wrote: »

Nice strawman you've created there.

In case you missed the overall point, your darling hero Amal Clooney was, like most of Hollywood, almost certainly well aware of the systematic abuse of men, women, and children in the form of sexual depravity and rape.
    And now her husband is being pulled into the controversy.

She chose to keep quiet.
    And she's still keeping quiet about the other paedophiles hiding in plain sight.
    So fcuk her and her limousine liberal pretend ethics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Seems Corey Feldman was right all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roW238dfUUk

Hopefully this can herald the beginning of the end for the Hollywood virtue signalling cronies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The company must be liable as f***, seeing as they paid out all the hush money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

In case you missed the overall point, your darling hero Amal Clooney was, like most of Hollywood, almost certainly well aware of the systematic abuse of men, women, and children in the form of sexual depravity and rape.

She chose to keep quiet.
    And she's still keeping quiet about the other paedophiles hiding in plain sight.
    That's a big leap to assume that she was certainly aware of specific cases. Particularly since she seems to be abroad much of the time working on international human rights cases.

I wonder how long it'll take for the pedo underbelly of Hollywood to finally come to light?

I wonder how long it'll take for the pedo underbelly of Hollywood to finally come to light?

Depends on the media in the US and if they want it exposed or not. They've hid it for years but we may well see an avalanche now. Thing is with the age of the internet a lot of these things are coming to the fore anyway.

I read something about Drew Barrymore years ago when she was 11 years old and some of the stuff she was put through that made my skin crawl.

As Joe Rogan said, we're hearing about the missed swings right now. How many times did he chance it and it worked?
    There's another angle too. What if Weinstein rather than trying to succeed in his sleaziness instead got off on being rejected?

• Advertisement

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Depends on the media in the US and if they want it exposed or not. They've hid it for years but we may well see an avalanche now. Thing is with the age of the internet a lot of these things are coming to the fore anyway.

I read something about Drew Barrymore years ago when she was 11 years old and some of the stuff she was put through that made my skin crawl.

And poor old Judy garland who passed it on to her daughter. Judy was sedated with drugs throughout her youth by Hollywood

Charlie Chapman married a 15 year old from what I read lately.

Its hard to get your head around how times change or some of the morals in Hollywood where it seems anything goes. You can almost get away with murder in Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I doubt anything like the full story of Hollywood will ever come to light...it seems to have been a place of utter sordidness and weirdness since forever. Ronan Farrow's exposé on Weinstein was rejected by NBC, the links between politicos, media and Hollywood go deep. And people knew. The ones coming out now to mouth horror all knew. They had to wait until he was deposed to see how their finances might be affected.

She chose to keep quiet.

Fcuk you right back. You don't know who knew what. The number of people in the US who are probably party to the same level of 'knowledge' gained via rumour and innuendo as Amal Clooney would be near countless. To single her and her husband out as being liable for not engaging in libel just points to you as having a probably unreasonable personal prejudice. The irony is that outside of dictatorships and such, Ireland probably has the world's worst legal suppression mechanism for keeping the misdeeds of the high and mighty firmly hidden.

And that's another worrying aspect; the times it worked would almost help validate his behaviour to him, and make him try the same again with the next girl. We heard in both the tape of him and in some of the women's stories that he'd brag about the actresses he slept with. I'd hazard a guess that the ones who did willingly say yes to him helped him to justify trying it on with the next one, and becoming less able to recognise where the line of acceptability was.

Obviously though that's his problem. His own twisted mind and the amount of power he felt he had. Not being able to recognise the difference between someone willing to sleep with him and someone suddenly feeling intimidated and pressured into sleeping with him not just because of his power in the industry but also his large size. I'd say that to him, there was no difference between the two.

I'm sure David icke has it covered from years ago :)

Few actors like Jane Fonda coming out now and saying they are ashamed they didn't say anything about the goings on. Too little too late. Streep is another one who should be ashamed of herself. She's happy enough to stand up at events and virtue signal for political reasons but if it's a friend carrying out sexual abuse she keeps quiet for her careers sake.

Malayalam wrote: »
    I doubt anything like the full story of Hollywood will ever come to light...it seems to have been a place of utter sordidness and weirdness since forever. Ronan Farrow's exposé on Weinstein was rejected by NBC, the links between politicos, media and Hollywood go deep. And people knew. The ones coming out now to mouth horror all knew. They had to wait until he was deposed to see how their finances might be affected.

NBC look very very bad in all of this. Their suppression of this story is indefensible.

Former or current actresses who still need to work in the industry and mightn't have much money or clout, fair enough.

But a major network with massive financial resources who could have easily exposed this creep, that is unforgiveable.

And that's another worrying aspect; the times it worked would almost help validate his behaviour to him, and make him try the same again with the next girl. We heard in both the tape of him and in some of the women's stories that he'd brag about the actresses he slept with. I'd hazard a guess that the ones who did willingly say yes to him helped him to justify trying it on with the next one, and becoming less able to recognise where the line of acceptability was.

Obviously though that's his problem. His own twisted mind and the amount of power he felt he had. Not being able to recognise the difference between someone willing to sleep with him and someone suddenly feeling intimidated and pressured into sleeping with him not just because of his power in the industry but also his large size. I'd say that to him, there was no difference between the two.
    In his head his come-ons were probably just like anyone else's. Except most people's probably didn't work as often as his.

• Advertisement

Are people all that surprised about NBC? We're seeing the corruption that happened throughout the decades long abuse that Saville carried out, but on a larger scale.

Advertisement