Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I think 'defend' would already also itself be prejudice.
    I mean consider the matter in a balanced and objective way, and not just an uncritical jump on the bandwagon of condemnation.
    He may indeed deserve criticism, but I see no rational discussion of what appropriate behaviour really is, whether everyone is obliged to conform to what the majority determine is appropriate, or a deeper consideration of human nature.

reading this and in line with this username, seems the freaks feel the need to come out of their caves revealing themselves when hearing about this scumbag stories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Well Ben Affleck has apologised for groping the reporter in the video I posted earlier:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41589352

Howdy'a like them apples, Ben?

Affleck is a grade A twat. And his brother is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well Ben Affleck has apologised for groping the reporter in the video I posted earlier:

Ben's bad day continues as Rose Mcgowan has called out his twitter statement about Weinstein as being a lie.

“GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT you said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault. You lie."

I wonder how many other stars who have claimed to have no knowledge of Weinstein's antics in the last few days will be proven to be bald faced liars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So are all the relevations/accusation just going to be played out in 140 characters (Ronan Farrow's aside) or will there be substantial interviews explanations etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think Rose was very brave but looking at her Twitter there I feel she's heading towards some kind of breakdown. She is going for it, and then some. It's exhausting to look at never mind live it. Hopefully she has good support around her who can encourage her to take a break from social media for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

anna080 wrote: »
    I think Rose was very brave but looking at her Twitter there I feel she's heading towards some kind of breakdown. She is going for it, and then some. It's exhausting to look at never mind live it. Hopefully she has good support around her who can encourage her to take a break from social media for a while.

Just looked at her Twitter there, I completely agree. The woman seems very close to the edge. To be fair, she basically had her career ruined for two decades by daring to speak out against Weinstein, so I can completely understand why she's like a dog with a bone and shouting it all from the rooftops now. Her rage must be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hilarie Burton's fella should get hold of Ben :P

walking-dead-negan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newsnight going big on this tonight. It looks like this is going to be the seasons' big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm listening to BBC 5live and they are interviewing a women who went for a job as a nanny and Jesus he sounds like a sleezy bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

they all come out of the woodwork at once?? why didn't they complain about it years ago..not doubting the accusations...but some seem to be jumping on the bandwagon

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    they all come out of the woodwork at once?? why didn't they complain about it years ago..not doubting the accusations...but some seem to be jumping on the bandwagon

He can't hurt their careers or paychecks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's been largely covered, basically your career would be ruined, your name in general driven through the mud, and quite likely you would be taken to court because what legal aid can an out of work actress afford compared to the hundreds of millions (or even billions if bandied together because Weinstein is far from the only one) of dollars these guys?

Terry Crews, a 240lb former NFL linebacker who pops up randomly in a lot of things covered the shame aspect of it too, since he got sexually assaulted by a Hollywood bigwig but new there was absolutely nothing he could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The idea that Hollywood is still a Jewish town is pretty ludicrous. It's now run by bean counters which run on code.

Disney - Sean Bailey
    Warners - Kevin Tsujihara, Edward A. Romano, Toby Emmerich
    21st Century Fox - Stacey Snider (yes Jewish)
    Universal - Donna Langley, Jimmy Horowitz, Jeff Shell
    Columbia - Sanford Panitch
    Paramount - Jim Gianopulos

I think i was 7 when names that were getting thrown around (from seemingly nowhere) were being mentioned as the forerunners of Hollywood, and it was not believed entirely.

If you believe that people, and not money, run Hollywood, that is your prerogative. I believe that the 'bean counters' will do just about anything for a high wage, that is mine.
    I also believe that the top names in Hollywood prefer to not be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I guess it's a bit like the clerical abuse scandal, people feel less afraid when they don't feel alone with their troubles.

As for 'jumping on the bandwagon'?

What normal person will want to get on that wagon of misery?

Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Suckit wrote: »
    I think i was 7 when names that were getting thrown around (from seemingly nowhere) were being mentioned as the forerunners of Hollywood.

If you believe that people, and not money, run Hollywood, that is your prerogative. I believe that the 'bean counters' will do just about anything for a high wage.
    Money does run Hollywood, but people control that money - the Chinese will be largely running the show there in the next 10-15 years and are already making quick inroads on it.

What normal person will want to get on that wagon of misery?

for the money,

Billy86 wrote: »
    Money does run Hollywood, but people control that money - the Chinese will be largely running the show there in the next 10-15 years and are already making quick inroads on it.

Yep, People control the money, but i do not believe that the accountants or whoever are mentioned in that list are those people.

Chinese are also going after Africa, but that is a different story.

Weiner Weinstein used to be powerful enough to keep on the right side of, but in recent years his stock has fallen somewhat. His last big film was probably The Kings Speech or Django Unchained and they were a good few years ago now. Either you are hot or you are not, the moment you look weaker they take the opportunity to pounce. Obviously some were speaking out when he was still a big cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What he did was wrong and he took advantage of women.

Hope It comes back on him.

But sadly I'm not surprised. Heard few rumbles about him years ago.

Yeah, the first I heard of it was last year on /r/movies, IIRC the revelation in that thread was that he had a foot fetish. It seems so innocent compared to what's emerged now.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Yep, People control the money, but i do not believe that the accountants or whoever are mentioned in that list are those people.

Chinese are also going after Africa, but that is a different story.

In what way are the Chinese going after Africa/Hollywood?

• Advertisement

From the DailyMail so take with grain of salt but interesting if true that Weinstein plans to go into rehab in Europe instead of the states. I bet his good buddy Polanski could recommend a nice safe country to shelter in!
    "The FBI has opened an investigation into Harvey Weinstein, DailyMail.com has exclusively learned. DailyMail.com understands the move came at the behest of the Department of Justice, run by Donald Trump’s Attorney General Jeff Sessions, which instructed the bureau to investigate the mounting allegations leveled at the movie mogul. The move by the DOJ came amid rumors that Weinstein has plans to head to Europe for sex rehab – leading to fears of a Roman Polanski-style situation where he dodges prosecution in the U.S. The FBI can both look at whether he has committed any federal crimes in the U.S. and prepare extradition proceedings if he remains in Europe. Among the allegations against Weinstein, which the FBI is expected to examine, is that he forced Lucia Evans, a student who wanted to be an actress, to perform oral sex on him in New York in 2004. New York State has no statue of limitations on rape and criminal sexual acts."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

for the money,

Yes, yes of course! Why didn't I think of that!? What better way to secure your future finances by jumping on a bandwagon of sexual abuse. Silly me.

CrispUniqueFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif

Kamu wrote: »

It is not a nice story, but Africa story is unrelated to the Hollywood/American story. Cheaper labour (tribesmen and women).

The Ivory laws have been changed, the Tribespeople have had land taken from them, and landowners on the coast have been forced out. As technically, nobody 'owns' land.
    You will have to dig deeper if you find it interesting, as links are not so easy to find and often disappear.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3050167/in-africa-chinese-developers-are-building-a-mini-china

Edited.
    The last two links refer to China and i did not double check them.

Come on do some reading, China has spent the last 20 years buying large chunks of the African economy - roads for precious metals, other minerals and fuel resources.

In the 80s the Japanese bought into La La Land when they had all the money and which got commented upon in films like Rising Son and that one with Bruce Willis and a skyscraper. Now China is the world's largest box office and the economy is rich so they've been buying into Hollywood while obviously maintaining the grip on their domestic market. But they also are hoovering up chunks of American farmland for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

It is not a nice story, but Africa story is unrelated to the Hollywood/American story. Cheaper labour (tribesmen and women).

The Ivory laws have been changed, the Tribespeople have had land taken from them, and landowners on the coast have been forced out. As technically, nobody 'owns' land.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3050167/in-africa-chinese-developers-are-building-a-mini-china

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/china-building-a-supercity-six-times-bigger-than-nyc/article25590569/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8278315/China-to-create-largest-mega-city-in-the-world-with-42-million-people.html

Depressing reads all around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

He said to one of the women: "Maybe it would be easier if you put your mouth on it".

If there was a clip of Harvey saying that to a woman on the street, you'd all be saying how gross and creepy it was.

Clean cut Jimmy says it though and it's all fun and games.

One of my first posts in this thread was joking about how someone, at some point, would barrel in to the thread to say that if Weinstein was good-looking, people wouldn’t feel victimised. I knew it would happen at some point in the thread but I didn’t think the example given would be quite so disingenuous. You know well that your Kimmel point is bollocks. If Kimmel was asking women to watch him shower and give him massages whilst he was in the nip in his hotel room, you honestly think they’d be OK with that? Don’t insult people’s intelligence by pretending you can’t see the difference the Kimmel bit you’ve referenced and Weinstein’s actions.

Depressing reads all around.
    If you find that depressing, do not read any more..

It is horrific imho.

Yes, yes of course! Why didn't I think of that!? What better way to secure your future finances by jumping on a bandwagon of sexual abuse. Silly me.

yes silly you,

you honestly think there's no one out there who may be thinking i could cash in on this...come on now, don't be so naive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah, the first I heard of it was last year on /r/movies, IIRC the revelation in that thread was that he had a foot fetish. It seems so innocent compared to what's emerged now.

Now that's where Tarantino comes in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Long form interview of him here from 3 years ago if anyone wants to check it out.

Interestingly the top comment is this! :eek:
    PetrisFitness
    3 years ago
    Harvey Slimestien is a degenerate and his secrets will be exposed!!!!!!

Advertisement