Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Dianey57 wrote: »
    Hello! I am looking for where Garnara would have been in 1863. According to a letter, a relative traveled from Corlea, Co. Clare to Garnara to visit a sick relative in the hospital.

The Tulla workhouse was situated in the townland of Garruragh.

As workhouses provided the only hospitals in rural Ireland, apart from the county infirmaries, it is most likely a workhouse hospital.

My guess is that it is a variant spelling and/or unclear script of Garruragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dianey57

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/9035/7SVLcp.jpg
    Need help! I have tried but cannot figure out if the words in this letter refer to a person or a place in the U.S. The letter dated 1863 from Ireland to the U.S. Thank you for any help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it Summer Villa?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It would help to see a few more lines to give some context.

To me it reads as follows...
    I wrote you a letter to Summers Villas in June last and got...

Genealogy Forum Mod

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3675/fKio4Z.jpg

Here is a bit more of the letter. It might be "summer's villa" but not really sure.  The relatives in the U.S. lived in Ohio and Iowa (traveled there from New York). I've enlarged the text and tried to trace, used alphabets from the 1800's but I'm still stumped.

• Advertisement

Here is a bit more of the letter. It might be "summer's villa" but not really sure.  The relatives in the U.S. lived in Ohio and Iowa (traveled there from New York). I've enlarged the text and tried to trace, used alphabets from the 1800's but I'm still stumped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

'Summers Villas' was my first thought too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

There was a former village in Milford Township, Butler County, Ohio named Somerville, incorporated in the 1830's with three or four hundred population. The township is dissolved now, I believe.

That's a possibility for sure. It is most likely the post office nearest their home. One brother married in Ohio, and then went from Logan, Illinois in 1860 (Smithville post office) to Mechanicsville, Iowa in 1870. I'm not sure if he lived somewhere in between during the 10 year period.  The other brother lived in just in Mechanicsville, Iowa.

That's a possibility for sure. It is most likely the post office nearest their home. One brother married in Ohio, and then went from Logan, Illinois in 1860 (Smithville post office) to Mechanicsville, Iowa in 1870. I'm not sure if he lived somewhere in between during the 10 year period.Â* The other brother lived in just in Mechanicsville, Iowa.

If he lived in Somerville or Hamilton, north of the larger city of Cincinatti, you're probably right - the post office coulda been Somerville (I never thought of that, Dianey, very cool!)... Then if he moved to Iowa, the route corresponds, (on todays roadways) direct from (Hamilton up to) Somerville, the route goes thru Smithville direct to Mechanicsville. ...The "somewhere in between" could possibly have been Indianapolis or Champaign (following the route).

If you haven't checked out some of these online resources, they might have bits of info about the area or (possibly) your relative(s)... (I have an ancestor who traveled to Ohio and Illinois way back when, so.)
    • If there's a possibility your ancestor participated in the War of the Rebellion in the 1860's, this online book lists Mechanicsville enlistee data (including nativity locales)... If they enlisted in Illinois, the Logan Civil War records are listed here.
    • History of Pioneer families of Mechanicsville.
    • If your ancestor had roots in Somerville, this GenWeb project details some info about the people of Milford Township - scroll down to see Somerville. (I recognise some ancestor surnames, so am doing my own research here.)
    • If he lived in Indianapolis circa 1865, you might find a listing on their Historical Directory.
    • This site I find fascinating, has some free online archival newspapers from all states.

• Advertisement

Thank you Dunnokidz for the wealth of information!! I look forward to some new areas to research.

The few sentences in your letter were awesome to read, love the 1860's vernacular! Had the feel of reading Jane Austen (wrong time frame, I know, but killer to have such a personal document Dianey!)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

hi, can someone decipher the word on residence at time of marriage for Annie Culligan. I can't make it out. thanks. It's the second record.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10726/5910764.pdf

I think I've made it out. It's Ditto. Never heard of it lol.

Is the word 'ditto' meaning she lived at the same place as the groom?

I see you've heard of Ditto townland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Is the word 'ditto' meaning she lived at the same place as the groom?

I see you've heard of Ditto townland.

And ditto age as well as ditto occupation.

Looking for help with the third marriage down between Christopher Broughal and Elizabeth Layde.
    I'm struggling with the church and the residence of both bride and groom if anyone can figure them out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1 Sth Richmond St?
    High Park
    Convent Lodge?

Great spot Spurious.

Richmond Street looks right and Convent Lodge, High Park is definitely right cause the father of the bride was a servant there at one time.

Any ideas on the church? It's late and I just can't make head nor tale of this one.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it's Church of the Visitation, Fairview. That's purely going on the 1st and 4th entries which are slightly more legible, but I think the same church.

All I could see was Valentine which didn't look right - Fairview fits though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

HI there, would anyone with a good eye like to suggest what the notation says for line 11 on the extreme right hand side of this Baptism Cert from St Andrew's Church in Dublin for the year 1893. It is for Henry Michael Casey, his Mother is Catherine Walsh and it seems to be her referred to in the note on the side. I take it to say "Catherine is the ..... of this child"? I could be way off. Any Help will be appreciated. J

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/6537d46561711

In the record for Patrick O'Connell & Doreen Dunne, can anyone make out the address of the bride and the occupation of the groom?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/6537d46561711

In the record for Patrick O'Connell & Doreen Dunne, can anyone make out the address of the bride and the occupation of the groom?

Looks like Rock hill Castle Blackrock? as blackrock is in rathdown district. googled and found a rock hill in blackrock but no ref to castle? guessing occupation - Journalist?

good luck

JDERIC2017 wrote: »

Looks like Rock hill Castle Blackrock? as blackrock is in rathdown district. googled and found a rock hill in blackrock but no ref to castle? guessing occupation - Journalist?

good luck
    Ah yes - you are right about the groom being a journalist. That's just jogged my memory. Still unsure about the address.

I also thought it said Rock something Castle. But I can't find any castles in Blackrock at all.

Ah yes - you are right about the groom being a journalist. That's just jogged my memory. Still unsure about the address.
    I also though its said Rock something Castle. I can't find any castles in Blackrock at all.

Another way of checking address is looking up electoral Roles on line, but they are only available in some libraries, I access them in Pearse street libary.

I tried to click on this record, but without success. 
    Is this something to do with the recent change of format on boards?

tabbey wrote: »

I just copied and pasted link in to browser and it worked.

tabbey wrote: »

I searched for Doreen Dunne in Rathdown and it comes up for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

nikonuser wrote: »
    .....and it seems to be her referred to in the note on the side. I take it to say "Catherine is the ..... of this child"? I could be way off. Any Help will be appreciated. J

Difficult. "Catherine is the xxxname... of this mothers child" ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I also thought it said Rock something Castle. But I can't find any castles in Blackrock at all.

I wonder does 'castle' refer to Williamstown Castle, now Willow Park / junior school for Blackrock College. Her father also is a NS teacher - coincidence?

Advertisement