Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Down South wrote: »
    Grateful we at least have the national masters t&f going ahead

Hopefully, although there is a caveat in the small print that that date could yet be changed. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    You wait ages for a bus and then two come along together.........Feeling pre race nerves for the first time this year!! County 5k this evening followed by half on Sunday.

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Where is this?

Wicklow 5k champs last Thursday then Oylegate half.......which was since cancelled with no reason given after getting AAI clearance last weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭py

opus wrote: »
    About that, wonder if Run the Line will go ahead in mid-Nov, it's all I've got left now that ever other thing I'd entered has bit the dust.

This went virtual a few weeks back. Opted for virtual route and that DWMRT retain the surplus cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone aware of any clubs with provisional plans still in place for events before April?
    From what I can see the calendar staples up to that point are still up in the air with nobody commiting yet or even advertising.

Tom brennan/Athenry/Raheny 5/IMRA /Dungarvan/Trim/Bohermeen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭event

Havent heard of anything. I'd hope a lot are preparing behind the scenes but want to see how December goes. Could be January before we know. There will be some scramble for entries for every race

event wrote: »
    Havent heard of anything. I'd hope a lot are preparing behind the scenes but want to see how December goes. Could be January before we know. There will be some scramble for entries for every race

Be surprise if an event happens before march

Be surprise if an event happens before march

It seems to be looking that way unfortunately, had April in mind and it seems everyone is afraid to be first to jump.

Lindie's blog is even down to a few ones in the North up to April.
    https://lindienaughton.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html?m=1

The big city marathons & Conn seem to be still standing but it's hard to be optimistic about them or the likes of Raheny with big corals at the start lines.

It seems to be looking that way unfortunately, had April in mind and it seems everyone is afraid to be first to jump.

Lindie's blog is even down to a few ones in the North up to April.
    https://lindienaughton.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html?m=1

The big city marathons & Conn seem to be still standing but it's hard to be optimistic about them or the likes of Raheny with big corals at the start lines.

Yeah cant see the government allowing much.
    Unless something changes 2021 could be as bad 2020 sadly

What we could do is everyone form a GAA team. Then instead of a game, one Sunday lets all just go for a run and see how we do against each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Anyone aware of any clubs with provisional plans still in place for events before April?
    From what I can see the calendar staples up to that point are still up in the air with nobody commiting yet or even advertising.

Tom brennan/Athenry/Raheny 5/IMRA /Dungarvan/Trim/Bohermeen?

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-2021-dungarvan-10-mile-road-race-is.html?m=1

Dungarvan isn't happening in February anyway.

What we could do is everyone form a GAA team. Then instead of a game, one Sunday lets all just go for a run and see how we do against each other.

Need to be elite though:)

Thanks, forgot about that site.
    Excellent breakdown of Cork Marathon and the course detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Trim not happening in February anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Given the hundreds playing soccer in a small area every weekend in St Anne's, this seems like a good idea.

No idea how it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Need to be elite though:)

After watching the Cork v Kerry match today..
    It really stretches the imagination to say they're elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Ceepo wrote: »

You should have seen the Roscommon lads in the match before. Parkrun tail walker standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Dudda wrote: »
    You should have seen the Roscommon lads in the match before. Parkrun tail walker standard.

Really?? Well worth the avg €1m per county investment so.
    "On top of the €15m provided by the Government for the running of the current championships, the GAA, LGFA, and Camogie Association will be provided with close to €31m."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40074599.html

Glad I was watching real professional in the Vuelta so

Ceepo wrote: »

In fairness you wont see much quality in football terms in the current weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've written off the indoor season completely and don't think I'll have a race until May.

Just ticking over 4 days a week at 70% at the moment, so I'll have a base for when I ramp it up. Absolutely no point killing myself at the moment when I don't need to be in shape for another 6 months.

Really dying for the gyms to open back up. Haven't been in one since March and was really hoping to build back up my strength over the winter. They'll probably open for 5 weeks then close again. Rinse, repeat.

It really sucks away the motivation to train hard.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've written off the indoor season completely and don't think I'll have a race until May.

Just ticking over 4 days a week at 70% at the moment, so I'll have a base for when I ramp it up. Absolutely no point killing myself at the moment when I don't need to be in shape for another 6 months.

Really dying for the gyms to open back up. Haven't been in one since March and was really hoping to build back up my strength over the winter. They'll probably open for 5 weeks then close again. Rinse, repeat.

It really sucks away the motivation to train hard.

The vaccine news is the most positive thing we heard for awhile

Rotterdam Marathon not taking place as usual next April, moving to October 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

OOnegative wrote: »
    Rotterdam Marathon not taking place as usual next April, moving to October 2021.

Jasus, we'll have 4\5 marathons per week then

Duanington wrote: »

Amsterdam is scheduled a week later at the minute!!!

Duanington wrote: »

Will give people plenty of choice in Autumn. Can try an ideal build up maybe, 5k10k till June, Summer the half and Autumn a marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

OOnegative wrote: »

Boston has moved from April to October also.

ariana` wrote: »
    Boston has moved from April to October also.

Dublin will surely have spaces in Oct. Also can see Cork/Waterford etc all happening close to then

Is this a sign that sports administrators and organisers have been told on the quiet that nothing will happen before summer 2021 for larger field events?

Larger events like big city marathons take massive logistical planning so hopefully we might still see the smaller races < 1000 back in the spring.

Would hope Limerick/Connn/Cork hold out till Feb at least.

Is this a sign that sports administrators and organisers have been told on the quiet that nothing will happen before summer 2021 for larger field events?

I dont think so. I'd say its just forward planning and they dont want to have to deal with constant questions.

• Advertisement

I dont think so. I'd say its just forward planning and they dont want to have to deal with constant questions.

If the vaccine is real, we should be up and running by April, summer the latest. That's just what i think

Advertisement