Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glounthaune Midleton track laying underway

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

The 20.15 service from KENT station was cancelled and transfers made by Bus; Likewise for the 20.45 return service from Midleton.

Despite having checked with Irish Rail this morning, when I was advised that the last service out was at 20.15

I also was told by the CIE staff at Glounthaune that the trains have been running 45 Minutes late all day.

So Much for an auspicious start on day One. Late and cancelled trains.....

I reckon that once the novelty has worn off, the project (like everything that Noel Dempsey touches) will be an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

moceri wrote: »
    The 20.15 service from KENT station was cancelled and transfers made by Bus; Likewise for the 20.45 return service from Midleton.

Despite having checked with Irish Rail this morning, when I was advised that the last service out was at 20.15

I also was told by the CIE staff at Glounthaune that the trains have been running 45 Minutes late all day.

So Much for an auspicious start on day One. Late and cancelled trains.....

I reckon that once the novelty has worn off, the project (like everything that Noel Dempsey touches) will be an unmitigated disaster.

To be fair, the amount of people that turned out was amazing! It was very busy all day! BUT, this morning was another matter!

Midleton station completely locked up this morning and the 06:45 standing at the platform ready to depart!!!!!

Absolutely brilliant start to the service!!!!!

8 out of 11 potential passengers opted to take the car!!!!

Utter madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

angelIRL wrote: »
    To be fair, the amount of people that turned out was amazing! It was very busy all day! BUT, this morning was another matter!

Midleton station completely locked up this morning and the 06:45 standing at the platform ready to depart!!!!!

Absolutely brilliant start to the service!!!!!

8 out of 11 potential passengers opted to take the car!!!!

Utter madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there was no 06:45 service this morning it's only starting a full service on Tuesday! it was stated on the irish rail site that this would be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dereko1969 wrote: »
    there was no 06:45 service this morning it's only starting a full service on Tuesday! it was stated on the irish rail site that this would be the case.

Excuse me if I am confused here but if there was no 06.45 service this morning how do you explain this posting from Railusers Ireland?

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=47640#post47640
    finnyus wrote:
    Great start to the service this morning!

The first scheduled (revenue) service on the Midleton line from Midleton was the 06:45 this morning. I left my car in Kent station yesterday before the 12:15 special yesterday. I decided to stay over night in Midleton at my parents house last night and get the 06:45 this morning. The station is only 10 minutes walk from my parents house.

Arrived 15 minutes early to find that the whole Midleton station was locked: locked gates to the car park and locked gates to the station.

6 cars (8 potential passengers) turned away as they could not park.

Another man turned up as well (just as the 06:15 from Cork arrived). He had walked from the north side of the station as that side was locked as well.

I rang Kent station (via 11811), no answer.

At 06:40, I said "fup this" and said to the man, look I need to be on that train to get to work, so we decided to run for it towards Mill Road level crossing. I knew that there was no train until that departure and I was wearing the biggest day-glow coat, so I walked up the side of the track from the level crossing (less that 100m). I said it to the driver and he phoned Kent (or Glounthaune).

Another passenger appeared on the scene then, he was just after jumping the tall fence surrounding the station, I honestly don't know how he didn't fall!

Ticket machines were not turned on, so we just boarded the train.

Madness!!! On the very first day of revenue traffic on the line! Loss of 8 potential passengers.

At Carrigtwohill, 1 passenger boarded the train.

At Glounthaune, 1 passenger boarded the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dereko1969 wrote: »

The web site says "An initial introductory service operates from Friday 31st July to Bank Holiday Monday 3rd August inclusive (check www.irishrail.ie timetable search for details), before the full commuter service begins on Tuesday 4th August."

And the 6:45am service IS listed on the website for today, so they got something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Here's two very bad quality videos taken with my camera phone on the way back yesterday...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Also some photos here from "The Wanderer"...

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1733914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Spare a thought for the poor sods in Youghal and those who may want to go there - it might be another 31 years at the speed things move! These two pics - the best part of 100 years apart show Youghal then and now.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

www.irishrailways.blogspot.com

Just more pictures from Youghal train station:

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Q&Y/Youghal/slides/29%20runs%20round%20at%20Youghal.html

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Q&Y/Youghal/slides/029%20stands%20at%20Youghal_Station.html

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Q&Y/Youghal/slides/mk2s%20near%20Youghal.html

Taken from http://eiretrains.com

Peter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Looking at the pictures Middleton and Carrigtwohill stations - have Irish Rail revised their Style Guide (such as it may be) again? Notice that the Irish langauge is now in black, as opposed to orange. This means there's no distingishment between the Irish and English langauges (we debated this here in relation to road signs recently).

This may be required under the Official Languages Act, but whatever the merits or demerits, I wish they'd stick to one style and use it all over the network, they seem to change signage standards every year or two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Yes I too think it will be sometime before we see the line extended to Youghal, however the trackwork construction at Midleton is a positive sign in being able to accommodate such an extension.
    It will be interesting to see if IE will clear and 'preserve' the former line to Youghal now, like a similar treatment given to the abandoned Claremorris-Sligo section of the Western Rail Corridor, as some sections of the Youghal line have been lifted, with some areas partially covered over and used as private property.
    As for the station signs, yes it appears IE have redone them again!

For those interested, the Glounthaune, Carrigtwohill and Midleton Station galleries on Eiretrains, where you can view the transformation of the line over a 30 year period.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/C/Cobh%20Junction/A&Bindex.html

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/C/Carrigtwohill/A&Bindex.html

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/M/Midleton/A&Bindex.html

• Advertisement

As the railcars have been personalised for the Cork Commuter network with new route maps and station destination names how about a new livery to complete its appeal?
    (Please excuse my crude example)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=88019&d=1250206991h

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What happens if you have to swop the trains for maintenance?

Couldn't agree with you more green jesus - but what about a return to a more dignified, pre-toothpaste livery such as on this preserved dmu on the Severn Valley Railway. DMU.jpg

Apart from anything else these vintage liveries don't show the dirt nearly as much as current designs. Look at the MkIVs - what was the livery brief - design something which will look filthy after one round trip from Dublin/Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's wrong with a standard commuter livery for the whole island? It makes more operational and branding sense to just use the same colour scheme for similar services across the country! Stupid livery changes every two years get on my wick.

True murphaph but as someone who grew up in the dirty black and orange era (latterly with a white toothpaste stripe being the only concession to design) anything new is welcome. The only decent looking livery that CIE/IE have come up with in the last 30 years is that now applied to the 071 locos -which is rather ironic now that they are relegated to PW and freight work. Arguably the original DART livery was nice too. The various commuter, MkIV and 22000 liveries are unserviceable as well as unattractive. Correcting myself again, the 22000 livery is quite pretty but will not stand up to brake dust, oil, general dirt and only looks well when brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm sure thought JD, you'ld take any colour trains if they actually carried passengers as you mentioned in post 155

Advertisement