Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glounthaune Midleton track laying underway

Options
  • 24-06-2008 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I noticed yesterday that they've started laying tracks just outside Glounthaune station.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Excellent. At least Midleton got the go ahead before the inevitable clampdown on Government spending. Still late 2009 for it to be opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The rain cleared for a bit this evening so I went down with my camera.

2608756560_8c498328d4.jpg

2607927459_7b1b509e45.jpg

2607927053_b4ea2e24fa.jpg

click for big on all of them, some more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you check the links - I'm not sure how to get all the bigger photos? Do I need a flickr account?

What length were the sections of rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Roughly the distance between them 2 machines

Victor wrote: »
    Can you check the links - I'm not sure how to get all the bigger photos?

click the link, then it'll bring you to the photo. above the photo is a link "all sizes" (in the line of options over the photo). click that, then you get options for various sizes.
    What length were the sections of rail?

good question. they arrived on a standard artic flatbed and they took the length of it if that makes sense.

I can try more photos tomorrow if anyone wants.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would be great to have this all the way to Youghal.
    Alot of commuter traffic on those roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Youghal? too much empty space between Midleton - Youghal for now, maybe the impending Cork Co.Cos transport review might produce a new CASP which will plot out a future plan for extending the line there?.

I'd love to see the train go back to Youghal. One of my neighbours remembers going to Youghal by train when he was younger. It's hard to imagine that closing the line was ever a sensible long term decision.

I went down for a look again today in much better light. Now there's actual track!

click for big (one click this time)
    2613446889_1a6ba0a157.jpg

2614279996_a9bb2876eb.jpg

more here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

deRanged wrote: »

click for big (one click this time)
    2613446889_1a6ba0a157.jpg

Good to see you photographed the Hybrid!

I passed that spot a couple of weeks ago and no rails or sleepers had been layed. Must get down again soon to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well rail to Youghal will be a lot more feasible once the Middleton line is open....plain rail all the way and no further signalling required...to make it happen though, there would need to be more traffic available than currently would be the case, but it is as viable or moreso than the WRC imho.

has anyone an idea of the service pattern likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

corktina wrote: »
    has anyone an idea of the service pattern likely?

Similar to Cork/Cobh, i.e. half hourly in peak and hourly in off-peak, giving a train every 15 minutes between Glounthaune and Cork in peak and every 30 minutes in off-peak.

plus running later at night too - up to half eleven or so if I remember correctly.
    that'll be great. the old 23:25 train was fantastic.

As progress is being made, the per way maintenance crowd in cork want to go on strike on the first of august because of who should do the pretection dutys for this project. These lads wont work in the rain or saturday nights or do more than 8 weeks of nights in a year and wont work the sundays.
    The whole country has been balloted so make travel arrangments for friday the first of august.

great - so they'll have the first strike on the line before they even open it!

The Echo had an article on the line last monday I think it was.
    They said a return from Midleton will be around 5.50, with a weekly coming in at about 20. Trains from 6:30 am till midnight. Sounds great, hope it opens in a timely fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Last time I was down (end of august) they were putting up new signalling near Glounthaune (Cobh Junction) but the tracks only went as far as the first over bridge. Its double track :) but for some reason it’s being layed by hand and has joins as opposed to continuous welded rail also towards the over bridge end the sleepers turn from concrete to wood. :confused:
    Is the line all going to be double track?

Old Carrigtwohill station had been removed (apart from the station building which for some reason they're doing up) and the two up and down platforms of the new station were in place on the on other side of the bridge. No tracks yet.

In Midleton they had stripped the station and were in the process of putting in a new roof. Nothing had been done about the proposed level crossing. No sign of any tracks yet.

I’m sorry that i didn’t take any photos.

Does anyone have any info on how this has progressed since???

Last time I was down (end of august) they were putting up new signalling near Glounthaune (Cobh Junction) but the tracks only went as far as the first over bridge. Its double track :) but for some reason it’s being layed by hand and has joins as opposed to continuous welded rail also towards the over bridge end the sleepers turn from concrete to wood. :confused:
    Is the line all going to be double track?

Old Carrigtwohill station had been removed (apart from the station building which for some reason they're doing up) and the two up and down platforms of the new station were in place on the on other side of the bridge. No tracks yet.

In Midleton they had stripped the station and were in the process of putting in a new roof. Nothing had been done about the proposed level crossing. No sign of any tracks yet.

I’m sorry that i didn’t take any photos.

Does anyone have any info on how this has progressed since???

The laying of track was about to start in full last week, but has been delayed due to unofficial action taken by Iarnrod Eireann permanent way workers. The employees concerned are now being faced with dismissal. One has now returned to work.

Copies of the ongoing media coverage are at:
    http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/405?page=10

Some good photos of the ongoing work are at the following link:
    http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/c1587296.html

The line will be double track for a short distance beyond Glounthaune Junction, and will then be single track to Midleton except for a 1 km dynamic loop at Carrigtwohill and two platforms in Midleton.

It will be capable of offering a 15 minute frequency to/from Midleton if required. Initial plans are for a 30 minute peak frequency and 60 minutes off-peak.

This is all the activity I've seen at Glounthaune lately:

2926066283_9e6b9bcd0a.jpg

makes this look even more optimistic

2926066023_05ebd8fd7d.jpg

There's great depots of equipment at Little Island and farther down towards Kilacloyne bridge waiting for the chance to start the upgrades of the platforms. The train with all the new track is still parked in Kent, near platform 1.

The old switches in Glounthaune station are still wooden sleepers, I wondered if that was just how they do that?

Its a shame that they don't just double track the whole 6 miles while they have the chance.
    Its looking better all the time it should be up and running this time next year (that if they sort out the workers dispute).:rolleyes:

One thing that annoys me about the rail cars currently used on the Cork-Cobh line is that the station maps inside them are from north Dublin commuter lines (Maynooth, Dundalk, etc.) You think they would of changed them to the relevant area!!!

Got bored earlyer and made up a concept 'Cork Commuter' livery for the whole Cork Suburban Network. Would look nice I think.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It should be called the CART , non ??

(that if they sort out the workers dispute).

They announced this evening that they're starting the work this saturday.
    I guess they've resolved the issue somehow.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    They announced this evening that they're starting the work this saturday.
    I guess they've resolved the issue somehow.

Where did you hear that?

standing on platform 1 waiting for the 18:30 train to Cobh. they literally announced it on the tannoy.
    they basically said that from this saturday morning all trains will be replaced by busses for a period of 6 weeks.

So wait let me get this straight, they are closing the whole line down for 6 weeks to facilitate the station renewal works? A bit drastic isn't it?

So wait let me get this straight, they are closing the whole line down for 6 weeks to facilitate the station renewal works? A bit drastic isn't it?

They're re-doing all (I think) the platforms on the Cobh/Cork line. I was told some time ago that the levels are out by up to 28 inches in some stations. that is, there's a step up/down from the train of two feet on average, and more in places. you can imagine how awkward this is for everyone, not just the elderly, people with buggies etc. They're also redoing power for lights, improving access for people wheelchairs/buggies etc, possibly installing automatic ticketing though I can't find any written evidence of that. There's other works too, at least one new station, a new wall at tivoli, signalling and so on. I don't think it's drastic at all. I just hope they get it done in the 6 weeks.

It'll be interesting to see when it's all done. Yeah I always wondered about that huge step up to get onto the train.
    Still odd that they're closing the whole thing down instead of closing and revamping one station at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

So is the strike off so? Did'nt look promising reading this article:
    http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=74338-qqqx=1.asp

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Rail workers face sack over picket

By Sean O’Riordan
    A THREAT to sack 13 line maintenance workers could cause a strike that would paralyse the national rail network.

Iarnród Éireann has informed the workers they will be dismissed if they don’t call off unofficial action that has held up a €105 million commuter rail project for the past two weeks.

If the 10 SIPTU members and three from the National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) do not report for work today they will be dismissed by the company.

“The unofficial strikers have been given one final opportunity to avoid loosing their jobs. In order to so they must return to work,” said an Iarnród Éireann spokeswoman.

The company admitted the move was almost unprecedented, as it has not threatened to dismiss so many staff in one go since the 1970s.

But railway bosses said they need to commence work on the Cork-Midleton line, which is due to reopen next spring. The line maintenance workers have been mounting a 24-hour picket since September 23, following a dispute over who should lay the track.

The men claimed it was their job, but the Labour Relations Commission (LRC) ruled the work should be carried out by the appointed contractor and staff from Iarnród Éireann’s new works department.

The men claim they should be compensated for losing the work.

As a result of the picket, Iarnród Éireann also decided to postpone the planned upgrading of six stations and 11 platforms on the Cork-Cobh line.

This €5m project has been postponed indefinitely.

Although the workers are involved in unofficial action, it is feared their colleagues will take industrial action in support of them if the railway company carries out the threat. It is understood union shop stewards are to meet with Iarnród Éireann management at Liberty Hall, Dublin, today to discuss the issue.

However, the decision to issue the threat before this meeting is being seen as provocative by the colleagues of the 13 workers.

Earlier this week, a member of the NBRU decided to abandon the picket and reported back to work.

Since the unofficial action began, the workers have been taken off the Iarnród Éireann payroll.

In the meantime, Iarnród Éireann management says it has engaged in informal discussions with both SIPTU and NBRU representatives in an attempt to resolve the dispute.

Its a shame that they don't just double track the whole 6 miles while they have the chance.

It is unlikely that a higher frequency than every 15 minutes will ever operate, and with the line designed as it is that is deliverable.

Doubling the entire line would be unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

presumably the 13 staff would be doing something else if not working on Midleton, so what would they be "losing out" on exactly? Overtime? Or is it the notion that they would be eventually declared surplus and all line maintenance handed over to outside firms?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

From irishrail.ie Cork to Cobh line Upgrade works Deferred until further notice by Corporate Communications

Upgrade works due to commence on the Cork - Cobh line this evening, 3rd October have now been deferred until further notice. Scheduled train services will operate as normal on Cork - Cobh line

• Advertisement

The cork lads job is track maintenance. The work going on down there is not their work, they are stopping fellow irish rail staff from working and staff have to be re deployed or let go due to lack of work for them due to this unofficial protest. No contractor or new works staff are maintaining their stretch of track. Its all about trying to get money for nothing with them, some have been promoted and moved to new works for the duration of the works but still they whinge. They claim that the upgrade work is their right yet they have no problem with a temporary worker filling their place in the gangs to do maintenance work while they move to new works.
    There is no overtime anymore on the per way, you either work 2 saturdays in a 8 week period or every second saturday if you work 5/7.
    They were offered 4 hours extra pay a week for letting new works on their stretch but they refused it saying that they should be doing p.i.c.o.p duties. Now, the picop allowance is only €16.90 for a week or part therof, 4 hours is roughly € 60 a week for the duration of works which would be roughly 2 years and they wouldnt have to do anything extra for it and everyone in the gang would get it but only the senior man gets the picop allowance.
    The only extra money they would get is for night working but they wont work more than 8 week of nights in a year and wont work friday nights and god forbid if it rains a bit. Im all for fair play and would be the first to stand up for anyone who was losing out but they are losing nothing. They say that new works staff are contractors which they are NOT. Irish rail is sick of them, per way lads are sick of them and the unions are sick of them. SACK THEM .

Advertisement