Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

iMax wrote: »
    There's a certain website www.irish(stuffwecan'tmentiononhere).com that has it uploaded already.

I fell aleep just before it started, after looking foward to it since I first heard about it. I woke just as it was finishing.:mad:

If only I could guess what we can't mention here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hermy wrote: »
    My first pic in this thread so apologies if I'm offtopic but does anyone know the story behind this? (It's off North Wall)

I've no idea tbh, isn't that down by the old British Rail club?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My first pic in this thread so apologies if I'm offtopic but does anyone know the story behind this? (It's off North Wall)
    That's a new one for me!

Where precisely is it?

Edit - double post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That pic I took is sitting on a wee bit of wall in a small cul de sac between Waping Street and Guild Street, close to the site of the old railhead where PWC are now based.

Thanks for the replies and a fantastic thread. I've spent the last two days going through the previous posts and it's all fantastic. I love the shot of the 'locals' in Finglas village and the painting of O'Connell Street is very surreal.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's a new one for me!

Where precisely is it?

Turn at Price, Waterhouse Cooper - left of course because turn right and you'll drown!.

Its beside the old British Rail club, as you drive onto the road its mounted onto a wall about 30mtrs into your right, and from memory beside a green wooden door in the wall.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the road, but I'll be down there tomorrow (going to UFC 93 in the O2) so I'll take a photo of the whole street if thats any good for you.

Fair play Mairt, you know the exact spot.
    Now if someone can shed any light on the history of this piece I'll be happy out.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Mairt wrote: »
    Wishbone, for any northsider they are probably 'the photos of the thread'.

'Dwyers is the first pub I had a gargle in, with my late Grandmother May.

Moore St is lost to the new generation of Dub. It was a fantastically unique place IMO.

it looks the exact same nowdays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Exit wrote: »
    So, some questions: What's up with the upside down Polish flags?
    down were in the GAA finals - maybe their shirts are red & white? (I dont know too much about bogball to be honest!)
    There are a few aerial pictures of county Dublin that I didn't post. They can be found here - http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/result.do?display=thumbcap&action=browse&query=country%3A%22Ireland%22+AND+city%3A%22Dublin%22&page=1&pagesize=20 I'm interested in them, but I can't recognise anything. Anybody able to spot some landmarks or roads? I'm interested in this one in particular - http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do;jsessionid=BDFC3704AA535CD3C28E83E805B7A854?query=country%3A%22Ireland%22+AND+city%3A%22Dublin%22&page=1&pagesize=20&display=thumbcap&action=browse&pnum=P12231 Is it northside or southside?

It looks like there is some coastline at the bottom left corner, so I'd suspect this was taken from the plane as it came to land. Seems a bit lat to be the usual flight path over south dublin, so somewhere over north county dublin seems likely. The village/town that can be seen seems too small to be Swords and there's no sign of a river either, so maybe Rush/Lusk/Donabate area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So, some questions: What's up with the upside down Polish flags?

It's the flag of Monaco. Princess Grace and Prince Rainier visited O'Connell Street on the 12th of June 1961. I'd say they were for that.

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction but those little buildings had something to do with the utilities electricity, gas, telephone, sewerage etc. I'm not sure which one. (Victor will probably know.)

There were a few of them around. Think the last one I saw was on Eden Quay.

I think they were ESB sub stations. I remember as kids we were particularly warned never to climb on them because, "Yiz'll be electrocuted!"

I post this at the risk of turning this political - PLEASE DON'T.

My son asked me about the war in N.I. and going through old pix of Dublin on my H.D. I came accross Talbot St after a bomb then dug this one up to show him.

So thats why this is here, lets not turn the thread political.

I post this at the risk of turning this political - PLEASE DON'T
    Hear, hear!

Here's another pic from that awful day - the aftermath of the bomb in Leinster Street South.

LeinsterStreetSouthBomb1974.jpg

And the same day in Talbot Street... that's the junction with Lower Gardiner Street to the centre right.

talbot-street-bomb-1.jpg

And Parnell Street on the same day. Sorry I couldn't make it a bigger pic. The building with the arched windows was (is) the Welcome Inn at the junction with Marlborough Street.

parnell1.jpg

Please note. As Mairt pointed out and Wishbone agreed, this is not political. I see these photos as part of the illustrated Dublin history that this thread is all about.

Rashers wrote: »
    The building with the arched windows was (is) the Welcome Inn
    It's a completely different building now but it looks more early 1980s with a distinctive roof rather than a rebuild from 1974. I'll have a look as I'm sure I have it somewhere.

Here we go!

ParnellStreetWelcomeInn280808-1.jpg

Here we go!

Wow it's changed a lot since I drank in there. I'd say it's changed inside too. Last time I had a pint there (
    ) it was all plush seating and a quiet shop, a bit over priced though.

Thanks for that photo Wishbone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I have a feeling I saw that picture before in one of those picture books of Dublin and if I remember correctly it was taken on Lambay Island. Was it the funeral of the owner of Lambay Island?

Sorry to butt in...the pic with the tractor on Lambay was in "One Day for Life in Ireland" or somesuch title. People submitted a photo taken on a certain day in 1988, along with a charity donation, and the best photos got in the book. I think it was for the Irish Heart Foundation.

That's a new one for me!

Where precisely is it?

As promised..

The plaque is behind the silver car..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70636&stc=1&d=1232240676

And here we go, its exact location.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70637&stc=1&d=1232240771

Anyone else think its worth chasing the story behind this up through one of the local papers - I bet there's a nice story involving people long since passed and probably long forgotten by most?.

• Advertisement

Anyone else think its worth chasing the story behind this up through one of the local papers - I bet there's a nice story involving people long since passed and probably long forgotten by most?.

Definitely needs to be investigated. I feel it in me bones that there's an interesting story there.

Definitely needs to be investigated. I feel it in me bones that there's an interesting story there.

I'll try get down again tomorrow and take some more photos of the area.

The weather was just too bad to stick around this evening, plus me and Kevin were enroute to see the UFC 93 at the new O2 and were in a hurry to get out of the foul weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wow it's changed a lot since I drank in there. I'd say it's changed inside too. Last time I had a pint there (
    ) it was all plush seating and a quiet shop, a bit over priced though.

Thanks for that photo Wishbone. :)
    Actually Rashers, having been in the Welcome recently, I'd safely say it hasn't had a refit inside since you were last there, or certainly in the last 30 years.

Despite what people might think, judging by the outside of the place, it's not at all a rough shop and attracts a real mix of regulars, among them artists and students.

As promised..

The plaque is behind the silver car..

And here we go, its exact location.
    That's a good one - I've never noticed it before and I must have been right beside it a few times when taking pictures of the old wool stores opposite it. Thanks Mairt.

(For anyone who doesn't know the location, it's beside the old hotel (subsequently the IR freight HQ) near the junction with Guild Street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I fell aleep just before it started, after looking foward to it since I first heard about it. I woke just as it was finishing.:mad:

If only I could guess what we can't mention here. :D

Begins with a T, ends with ENTS - nothing to do with camping

iMax wrote: »
    Begins with a T, ends with ENTS - nothing to do with camping

Thanks for trying but I'm still banjaxed. I suppose I'll have to hope for a repeat on the telly.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Curiouser and curiouser....

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/cat/6239/display/13627471

seems from Googling to be some sort of memorial like the flowers at the roadside for remembering the departed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Hmmm, thats very interesting.,

Ive seen one around myself but i cant for the life of me remember where it is,.,

tricky D wrote: »
    Curiouser and curiouser....

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/cat/6239/display/13627471

seems from Googling to be some sort of memorial like the flowers at the roadside for remembering the departed.

The plot thickens indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Call in an undertaker???

tricky D wrote: »
    Call in an undertaker???

Someone buy that man a pint!

• Advertisement

Someone buy that man a pint!

The Guinness narrow gauge tram from 1957 is on the way...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70700&stc=1&d=1232313968

Choo Choooooo

The Guinness narrow gauge tram from 1957 is on the way...

Ahh I remember the time those little trains ran on the roads down at the Nth Wall. I think one ran from the old Point Depot over to Gouldings. If I'm not mistaken I think some of the rails are still embedded in one or two of the streets around the Nth Wall?

I remember them running in the area of Guinness too. And in particular the one that used to run from Guinness at (is it Victoria Quay?) across the street to John's Road and then it turned in at the side of Houston Station.

I remember them running in the area of Guinness too. And in particular the one that used to run from Guinness at (is it Victoria Quay?) across the street to John's Road and then it turned in at the side of Houston Station.

Here ya go..

September 1960.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70717&stc=1&d=1232317201

Not the same locomotive, but these are the narrow gauge tracks your thinking of at the exact location your talking about?.

the one that used to run from Guinness at (is it Victoria Quay?) across the street to John's Road and then it turned in at the side of Houston Station.
    Allow me! :)

The rails can be seen in this pic (presumably taken from the roof of Heuston Station) as the leave Guinness and cross Steeven's Lane (where the Red Luas now passes) and onto John's Road.

The tall building on the extreme right is the old Nurses' residence attached to Dr Steeven's hospital. I think it was demolished in the 1970s.

GuinnessSteevensLane.jpg

Thanks for those photos Mairt and Wish.

I'm scratching the head here now.... but I think that narrow gauge train from Gunness to Heuston was still running in the late '60s.... early '70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I cant believe I passed by this thread for so long. Fantastic pics,thanks to all who contributed them. I was struck,must have been 30 or so pages ago,with the pictures taken around the 70's and 80's and some comparisons from today,,of how clutter free the streets where. We seem to be bogged down with poles and cables and ads of all sizes now blocking the view. Being a baby in 65', I remember how some of how Dublin looked in the 70/80's, including two way traffic on the quays. Have to admit I'd prefare to look at an old run down tenament than some of the stuff hey put up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Here's one: A drive around the general Dublin 5 area in 1984. Shoddy quality, but a good view of Artane before the Rec was built, and I had no idea Peats had a branch in Donnycarney?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Does anyone have photos of the old wine merchants that used to be at the top of o'connell street, I think near where the ambassador is now. I had heard that it was a beautiful building, considered to be one of the nicest in the city but I've never been able to find an image of it.

Does anyone have photos of the old wine merchants that used to be at the top of o'connell street, I think near where the ambassador is now. I had heard that it was a beautiful building, considered to be one of the nicest in the city but I've never been able to find an image of it.

That was Gilbeys as far as I recall. If so it was a lovely building on the left side of O'Connell Street as you approached the Ambassador.

If I can locate a pic I'll definitely upload it... maybe someone will beat me to it with a bit of luck.

Gilbeys.
    70797.jpg

• Advertisement

As we were in 1975.... some scenes of Dublin streets. And a bit of history too ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

spurious wrote: »
    Gilbeys.

So where exactly did this stand on o'connell street. It looks quite european, does anyone know why they knocked it?

Sorry if I'm harping on about this, I'm just surprised that they knocked so many potentially lovely buildings on the street and we were left with the likes of the eircom building, dublin bus etc instead of lovely old buildings like Gilbeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that looks like the present day garda station beside it so it may have been where the royal dublin hotel is today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Here's an old aerial photo, does anybody recognise which part of Dublin it is?

3210729669_827dde8edf_b.jpg

Is it Collins Avenue at Whitehall?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is it Collins Avenue at Whitehall?

+1

Jayus, what year is that?
    No sign of the Church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cocoon wrote: »
    Here's an old aerial photo, does anybody recognise which part of Dublin it is?

3210729669_827dde8edf_b.jpg
    Where did you get that one?
    Any more similar?
    (Am from the area, it's amazing to see it before they build the park, church, Kilmore, most of Lorcan, etc.
    What's the house on teh far right of the picture? is it still there?
    (To my mind i'm guessing it's in where the apartments are beside the Beaumont Drive Thru)

Ste.phen wrote: »
    What's the house on teh far right of the picture? is it still there?
    (To my mind i'm guessing it's in where the apartments are beside the Beaumont Drive Thru)
    Looking at http://maps.live.com it is still there in Grace Park Court.

Fascinating photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

P12291.jpg

P12292.jpg

P12295.jpg

P12296.jpg

So, some questions: What's up with the upside down Polish flags? What is the small building in the Christchurch pictures?

The red and white flags represent the flag of Monaco so the photos must have been taken around the time of the State Visit of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace to Ireland in June '61.

A colleague who worked near Christchurch back then thinks that the small redbrick building was a weighbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ollaetta wrote: »
    A colleague who worked near Christchurch back then thinks that the small redbrick building was a weighbridge.
    I thought more likely to be pump houses. I'll try and ask someone in Waterworks if they can shed any light.

1961, the year of my birth. I'm studying the pics trying to spot pregnant women.
    [Cue 'Yore Ma' jokes] :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement