Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Hurling 2019 (Tiers 2-5)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

No disrespect to any of the teams competing but there's intermediate club team's that would beat some of these county teams. It really is a disgrace how little effort some of these counties put into hurling.

The Kilkenny/Cork junior champions would walk the Lory Meagher and could possibly win the Nicky Rackard.

It’s pub league standard hurling and it’s not their fault. Counties obsessed with promoting football only and have no time for hurling.

I really think funding should be cut to the counties who do not make a bigger effort in promoting the small ball fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

conor05 wrote: »
    The Kilkenny/Cork junior champions would walk the Lory Meagher and could possibly win the Nicky Rackard.

It’s pub league standard hurling and it’s not their fault. Counties obsessed with promoting football only and have no time for hurling.

I really think funding should be cut to the counties who do not make a bigger effort in promoting the small ball fairly.

Grand, and lets cut funding to Kilkenny altogether given the contempt they show to the biggest sport in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Grand, and lets cut funding to Kilkenny altogether given the contempt they show to the biggest sport in Ireland

DRINKING A !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1143245096797790210?s=19

Doesn't look like the gap will be narrowing anytime soon, Laois will probably be promoted this year but if they cannot compete underage how did they think they'll compete in the senior grade.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

jay0109 wrote: »
    I was in Croker today for the Rackard final. Fair play to Sligo, great achievement....4 points down going into injury time and win by 1 point. That's 2 promotions/championship trophies in a row. They'll struggle though next year as they don't seem to have much on the bench and as a result have some very weak players on the starting team.
    Connor Griffin (#11) and Ronan Cox (#8) were outstanding.

Well done lads, great achievement

Are the players mostly local?

I don't get people slagging off lads who hurl at lower levels. In that case, most counties should drop every grade below intermediate.

More people playing the game the better. I love hurling but you still get that oul bollix about "sure who told them they could hurl."

Even got a bit of it in Parnell last Saturday. We'll no-one needs to ask any slobbering lad with a few pints on board for permission to hurl :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The Kilkenny junior champions made right heavy weather of beating a Monaghan side in the club final in february

That said you couldn't judge a one off game in fairness, bu I'd very much doubt they'd come close to winining Nicky Rackard.

A Mayo club side made the All Ireland intermediate club semi in the 2017/2018 edition, and gave eventual champions Oranmore a great game in the 2018/19 Connacht final. Mayo (with players from two more clubs available as well as some Galway recruits) couldn't even get out of group in Nicky Rackard this year

Yeah kilkenny junior team is pushing it, I'd imagine they have to be intermediate.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah kilkenny junior team is pushing it, I'd imagine they have to be intermediate.

Yeah, mayo club Tooreen beat Ballindereen in Galway last year, who are holding their own in the Galway senior championship now

That said KK has only 12 senior teams, so their higher level intermediate teams would probably win Nicky Rackard alright

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah, mayo club Tooreen beat Ballindereen in Galway last year, who are holding their own in the Galway senior championship now

That said KK has only 12 senior teams, so their higher level intermediate teams would probably win Nicky Rackard alright

Tooreen are the famous hurling club in Mayo but I'm fairly sure they've borrowed players from different areas. Also they've lads who hurl fantastic with the club but never quite reproduce it with the county team. But yeah that was a good run for them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tooreen are the famous hurling club in Mayo but I'm fairly sure they've borrowed players from different areas. Also they've lads who hurl fantastic with the club but never quite reproduce it with the county team. But yeah that was a good run for them.

They've a great player from Ballina alright but I think most of the rest of their better players are local anyway. The Bolands and Freeman for sure. They've a great tradition there in fairness

But I can see that lads wouldn't re-produce it for the county alright, its often the case

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »

The Kilkenny junior champions made right heavy weather of beating a Monaghan side in the club final in february

That said you couldn't judge a one off game in fairness, bu I'd very much doubt they'd come close to winining Nicky Rackard.

A Mayo club side made the All Ireland intermediate club semi in the 2017/2018 edition, and gave eventual champions Oranmore a great game in the 2018/19 Connacht final. Mayo (with players from two more clubs available as well as some Galway recruits) couldn't even get out of group in Nicky Rackard this year

That is very true actually. That blayney team gave Dunamaggin plenty of it for 55 minutes.

I’d say the top intermediate champs or Senior B champs would give the Nicky Rackard a good rattle.
    But again you are coming up against county players who have been training in gym and pitch since previous November so maybe the lower tier competitions are not won as easily as we think!!

Damien Casey for Tyrone and Keith Raymond for Sligo are two savage hurlers who could mix it anywhere.
    I know Kerry hurl at a higher level but Shane Conway is a class act.

One of the best hurlers I ever saw in my life was from Kerry.

Shane Brick Kilmoyley

Another fine hurler was Nicky Horan from Kilmessan in Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I hurled in Dublin with lad from Faughs in Castleblayney and he was one of best players on pitch most days.

Likewise seen good hurlers from unfashionable places like Meath and Wicklow do well on pretty decent club teams. Darragh O'Connell is one of the best hurlers in the county, obviously! And key part of Dublin team. If he still played in Kerry, probably no-one would know him. Now he has two all Ireland clubs and looking at possible All Ireland quarter final.

So, it's not genetic. Much of it has to do with how seriously the game is played, and above all how many people play it, and how often.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I hurled in Dublin with lad from Faughs in Castleblayney and he was one of best players on pitch most days.

Likewise seen good hurlers from unfashionable places like Meath and Wicklow do well on pretty decent club teams. Darragh O'Connell is one of the best hurlers in the county, obviously! And key part of Dublin team. If he still played in Kerry, probably no-one would know him. Now he has two all Ireland clubs and looking at possible All Ireland quarter final.

So, it's not genetic. Much of it has to do with how seriously the game is played, and above all how many people play it, and how often.

And think of all the good senior club hurlers in Kilkenny, Galway, cork, Tipp etc that never have or never will get the chance to play in Croke Park because they can’t make the county team.

I’d say they would give anything to play even one game there.

So the lads that get a chance in tiers 2-5 to play there are very very privileged GAA men and they can tell their kids and grandkids they played in Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bonniedog wrote: »

We had one lad listed as Ballyboden at the start of the year but I don't know how close to the senior team he was. He was down as Bray Emmets by the end of the season though. In the past the likes of Hyland could have played almost anywhere.

Edit - Michael Boland.

_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

Since the introduction of the Ring and Rackard Cups in 2005, the Meagher Cup in 2009, and the McDonagh Cup last year, Laois will this weekend become the 24th county to participate in an All-Ireland final in those competitions in the last 15 seasons.

They will be bidding to become the 21st county to win one of those trophies.

A few home counties have not contested a national final since 2005 (I'm not counting the national hurling league)

Monaghan have been ever present in the Nicky Rackard Cup since it's introduction and have never made it to the final, nor have they ever been relegated.

Cavan (who took a hurling hiatus for three or four years recently) have always played in the bottom tier and in general have been the worst team, but that's understandable given how they only have 2 or 3 hurling clubs in the county.

South Down spent a few years in the Meagher Cup but never made the final.

Laois will be bidding not to join the three counties who have played in but not won a final in that time;
    -Wicklow have played in and lost two Ring Cup finals in 2011 and 2012.
    -Lancashire have played in and lost two Meagher Cup finals in 2018 and 2019.
    -The now defunct Fingal contested one final, the 2014 Rackard Cup final won by Tyrone.

Including the top tier counties, three more counties haven't contested finals since then; Wexford, Dublin and Offaly. Though you'd imagine Offaly will more than likely contest next year's Ring Cup final.

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Since the introduction of the Ring and Rackard Cups in 2005, the Meagher Cup in 2009, and the McDonagh Cup last year, Laois will this weekend become the 24th county to participate in an All-Ireland final in those competitions in the last 15 seasons.

They will be bidding to become the 21st county to win one of those trophies.

A few home counties have not contested a national final since 2005 (I'm not counting the national hurling league)

Monaghan have been ever present in the Nicky Rackard Cup since it's introduction and have never made it to the final, nor have they ever been relegated.

Cavan (who took a hurling hiatus for three or four years recently) have always played in the bottom tier and in general have been the worst team, but that's understandable given how they only have 2 or 3 hurling clubs in the county.

South Down spent a few years in the Meagher Cup but never made the final.

Laois will be bidding not to join the three counties who have played in but not won a final in that time;
    -Wicklow have played in and lost two Ring Cup finals in 2011 and 2012.
    -Lancashire have played in and lost two Meagher Cup finals in 2018 and 2019.
    -The now defunct Fingal contested one final, the 2014 Rackard Cup final won by Tyrone.

Including the top tier counties, three more counties haven't contested finals since then; Wexford, Dublin and Offaly. Though you'd imagine Offaly will more than likely contest next year's Ring Cup final.

I think I read somewhere before Louth played in 4 Nicky Rackard finals 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2012 and lost all four for them but then won the Lory Meagher in 2016.

Sean Kelly GAA president at the time has really given the Lower level tiers something to strive for every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Though you'd imagine Offaly will more than likely contest next year's Ring Cup final.

I wouldn't put money on it! :pac: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Decent game so far, pity most cant see it. These finals should be on TV and not at same time as other games/finals, perfect example of what not to do with tiers in football.

Advertisement