Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Hurling 2019 (Tiers 2-5)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Delighted that we managed to stay up after what was an up and down year for us, but we kept our Joe McDonagh status and that is a great achievement in itself

Thought the commentator on the stream was a bit surprised that we beat Offaly, sure we beat them in the league up in Birr a few years back so its no surprise
    Kerry were more clearcut winners than the scoreline suggests. Wasted a huge amount of scoring opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Delighted that we managed to stay up after what was an up and down year for us, but we kept our Joe McDonagh status and that is a great achievement in itself

Thought the commentator on the stream was a bit surprised that we beat Offaly, sure we beat them in the league up in Birr a few years back so its no surprise
    Kerry were more clearcut winners than the scoreline suggests. Wasted a huge amount of scoring opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I never thought we'd hurl at the same level as Offaly. League and championship. They've nobody else to blame no matter how much ex players say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think the worrying thing about Offaly is that there seems to be something every year, there was the circus last year with the football management and now the hurling side of things is up in a heap,

Who in their right mind would want to get involved, Im sure the players are there to get Offaly back up again but maybe they need to get the off the field stuff sorted before the results on the pitch improve,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

At what point does the GAA hierarchy have to take some responsibility for what happens withing counties?

Cheddar Plunkett said on this week's GAA Hour that counties shouldn't be getting money from Croke Park if there isn't a proper plan in place for how it's going to be spent. That seems like a reasonable position to take.

Between 2007 and 2018 Offaly received €1,004,426 in coaching and games development grants from Croke Park.

I've taken that figure from here.
    https://twitter.com/SeanMcGoldrick1/status/1093268753725431808

So for the last 11 years Offaly have been getting €90,000 a year in games development money while all signs are pointing towards their youth development being a complete and utter mess. Surely someone should be asking serious questions before signing off on these payments? I understand that weaker counties need backing from Croke Park but I find it hard to believe Offaly would be any worse off today if Croke Park had told them five or six years ago that the grants were being withheld until they brought a proper development plan to the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Finals being streamed on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdyV6qUCDXQ

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I knw Lancashire would be made up of many outsiders but there would be a few on Leitrim and some of the other teams playing in these lower competitions. Some of the players would be teachers/guards etc from strong hurling counties who work in these areas

• Registered Users Posts: 39,525 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Last minute goal to level it

Decent match and a good finish. The frame rate seemed to smooth out a bit in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play to Leitrim, nice to get some silverware for their hurlers, I'd imagine their footballers would love some.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

lol, F-bomb there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

joke these arnt on tv

No disrespect to any of the teams competing but there's intermediate club team's that would beat some of these county teams. It really is a disgrace how little effort some of these counties put into hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

yes the standard in rackard / maher competitions is shocking

sc86 wrote: »
    yes the standard in rackard / maher competitions is shocking

That's why they're in the Rackard/Meagher. The 4th and 5th tiers of any sport is never going to be wonderful.

That's why they're in the Rackard/Meagher. The 4th and 5th tiers of any sport is never going to be wonderful.

True but they're in the 4/5th tier for a reason and that reason is that they're not interested in putting in the effort. Most of these counties are littered with clubs who don't even bother with hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

thats not really the players who are playing fault , the games should be on the tv , like they always were

things like this doesnt help grow the game in these counties

Like a different game referees pull for every tip or tap. Need to get someone like Fergal Horgan in to referee.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Like a different game referees pull for every tip or tap. Need to get someone like Fergal Horgan in to referee.

Yeah I remember the Antrim lad on the Sunday game a few weeks ago saying the same, everything below the top tier is refereed completely differently. Definitely detracts.

Any reason why the christy ring final wasn't last one on?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Those fúckin seagulls are annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Fair play to Leitrim, nice to get some silverware for their hurlers, I'd imagine their footballers would love some.

Can't have been easy for Zak Moradi to adjust to the small ball ...

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1142419782001729536

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hawk eye data unavailable- he hit it too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Hawk eye data unavailable- he hit it too high!

Was that just the image? I thought the ref would still be given the answer

Exciting finish to the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mad that Sligo and Offaly hurlers will be playing at the same level next year. Sligo were in the lory Meagher last year while Offaly were in the Liam McCarthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It's also pathetic that these games are no longer on TV. I think it used to be the case that they were on TV before an All Ireland quarter final. Then they were on RTE or TG4 as a double/triple header. Now they're only online.
    It's the way a second tier in football would go within 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I was in Croker today for the Rackard final. Fair play to Sligo, great achievement....4 points down going into injury time and win by 1 point. That's 2 promotions/championship trophies in a row. They'll struggle though next year as they don't seem to have much on the bench and as a result have some very weak players on the starting team.
    Connor Griffin (#11) and Ronan Cox (#8) were outstanding.

Well done lads, great achievement

Advertisement