Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Robin
    83iH03F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is that the Owenmore at the first bridge?

It's the River Sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Probably should have checked on my boat rod before now...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Female Sparrowhawk, Herbert Park

49667165731_c64a572257_b.jpg2020-03-16_08-10-53 by Gustavo, on Flickr

Heron
    D4BIqbD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They're starting to wriggle..

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I only recently added bird feeders to the back garden, I spotted a bird eating from it today for the first time, a Bluetit.

I got pretty excited seeing him eating to be honest, hopefully I see more.

I took this photo during my commute to work today, bird watching is very new to me I believe this is a Wren, is there a more specific name as the new apps I installed seem to suggest various types of Wren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

sumsar wrote: »
    I took this photo during my commute to work today, bird watching is very new to me I believe this is a Wren, is there a more specific name as the new apps I installed seem to suggest various types of Wren.

506195.jpeg

I think its a Dunnock ;)

https://birdwatchireland.ie/birds/dunnock/

Kamili wrote: »

Thank you you’re right that’s definitely a Dunnock.. now this shows how little I know about birds, I don’t know that name. This will be fun learning things I should have already known!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Lovely image there but I believe that's a Dunnock as opposed to a Wren.

Edit - bit late to the party, when I refreshed the page I saw that someone had already replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Lovely image there but I believe that's a Dunnock as opposed to a Wren.

Edit - bit late to the party, when I refreshed the page I saw that someone had already replied.

If you belong to my era it's a Hedge Sparrow. :D

Just let me know if this is the wrong place to be asking this, figured it ask the question while I share the pictures..

You guys were great advising of the bird in my last picture, I took this during the same walk and I honestly can’t tell if it’s even the same type of bird or something completely different, the shading is tough to tell for me personally.

Any advice as to the type of bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Kamili wrote: »
    I think its a Dunnock ;)

aka Hedge Sparrow.....

Edit Del.Monte beat me.....

..........Any advice as to the type of bird?

That's a House Sparrow for me.....

That's a House Sparrow for me.....

Thanks for that, I am using this as a learning exercise so any birds identified I’m also looking into to try learn how to tell them apart in future, in the mean time I have 1 more pic from today’s walk but it’s a bad picture but I’d like to know the species If possible.

I don’t think this is a hedge or house sparrow but I could be wrong.

.....I don’t think this is a hedge or house sparrow but I could be wrong.

A Wren this time.....

A Wren this time.....

Fair play, thank you.

Hey, just let me know if I should be using a different thread but I’m now trying to photograph different birds and track the ones I spotted, would I be correct in calling these a Herring Gull?

Today I went for a walk in Glenasmole / Bohernabreena Reservoir doing some bird watching really.. I couldn't get any closer pics than this, these are the different birds I seen today, I've tried researching the birds using various resources but I'm not 100% confident on them so please do let me know the correct species, it would be greatly appreciated.

49682771388_b2d62b0d33_c.jpg
    Maybe A Long Tailed Tit?

49683600897_03bbc225e8_c.jpg
    Maybe a Garden Warbler?

49683599452_516f956038_c.jpg
    Maybe a Pied Wagtail?

49682771878_f0d416dee3_c.jpg
    Not Sure

49683609977_3abc2b3fed_c.jpg
    A Robin

• Advertisement

Kingfisher
    AMAXgE3.jpg

Kingfisher in flight
    ZvATOlR.jpg

@ sumsar

Top two pics are both Long Tailed Tits; followed by Pied Wagtail; Coal Tit and Robin. :)

.....so please do let me know the correct species, it would be greatly appreciated.

#1 You're correct, Long Tailed Tit
    #2 I'd say that's' another LT Tit, notice small beak and long tail.....
    #3 Yep, Pied Wagtail I think.....
    #4 For me, this is a Great Tit, look that up and see what you think.....

Thanks guys greatly appreciated, from comparing a Coal Tit to a Great Tit, it appears to be a Coal Tit to me, convincing factor is no Black line down the belly.

Thanks again, love learning about these birds that I’m only now starting to pay attention to.

49686186176_0d9e5896bc.jpg
    Eurasian Wren in the garden just now.

I've been using various apps and websites the past few days to learn about birds, but it's usually a case of learning about the birds I photograph and trying to identify them, some instances some birds look a like or they're too far away for me to tell what they are.. I think it's time I start trying to learn more things like flying patterns or noises etc, I'll keep looking these up.

In the mean time, I keep spotting flocks of birds like this picture below but they're so far away and my knowledge is so bad I don't know what type of birds these are, could someone advise? If more info is needed just let me know.

I'm also in Walkinstown if that's important.

As usual, if this is better off in another thread just let me know I don't want to wreck everyone's heads.

49689875761_10a3617ced.jpg
    Flock of Birds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That is a flock of either racing pigeons or feral pigeons

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That is a flock of either racing pigeons or feral pigeons

Cool thanks for that, good to know.

I reckon I’ll start my own thread for me as a blog type thing of me learning about new birds rather than hijacking this thread.

Thanks again and in the mean time here is another photo of a Blue Tit I took in the garden today.

Cool thanks for that, good to know.

I reckon I’ll start my own thread for me as a blog type thing of me learning about new birds rather than hijacking this thread.

Thanks again and in the mean time here is another photo of a Blue Tit I took in the garden today.

Great Tit, I'm afraid. You could do worse than get a field guide to British/Irish birds as it would make things a lot easier for you.

0097501_9780717151097_625.jpeg

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Great Tit, I'm afraid. You could do worse than get a field guide to British/Irish birds as it would make things a lot easier for you.

0097501_9780717151097_625.jpeg

Thank you for that, I was looking at loads on Amazon and wasn't sure which one to go for so settled with apps instead (recently started using eBird and Merlin from the Cornell Lab), I think though you're right about the book, I'll add that to the list.

It's odd I kept seeing the same type of birds in the Garden and after learning one of them was a Blue Tit, I thought I just kept seeing blue tits, this has been a good reminder to stop assuming and to look into them further.

On another note.. I spotted a Bat flying above the garden a few minutes ago, I watched him for about 30 minutes just flying around the same area for a while.

20200323-IMG-2928.jpg

Advertisement