Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Links Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Such a test of all round golf IMO. I've made a mission to play it as much as possible this year. It may result in a lot of plus .1s but I believe I'll get them back elsewhere, plus some, thanks to it.

6 Par 3's... Sounds easy. The 10th (index 18) is the only one where a scratch isn't too close by. The 1st shouldn't really be a danger of a scratch but considering it's the opening hole, a poor first swing can make it hard work.
    All the rest are pretty damn hard. 17 is just ridiculously hard. I'm convinced you need to miss hit it to find that top tier... And I'm not sure you want to be on the lower tier putting up, there's no good place to miss, and chances are you'll miss... I may just walk the hole the next time I play it :)

The short par 4's... So bloody tempting to go for them, never ends well. Even when you take a sensible club on them, it has to be fairly damn accurate or your in trouble.
    And if you get burned early on with playing the sensible shot and get punish, well it's hard to persist in playing sensible again.

The longer par 4s require a good drive and a very good approach.

You have to hit over a large area of internal OOB's if you're going for the only Par 5 in two.

Of the 18 holes, there are only four that allow a decent margin for error IMO (1,10, 12 if you're not going for it in 2 & 15)

Most of the above was brought to you via Sensei Fix brainwashing me.

PS you can't drive 14... An in joke from the last round. Someone (me) needed empirical evidence :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PARlance wrote: »

Most of the above was brought to you via Sensei Fix brainwashing (

To be fair to him when I started listening to fix I had my first ever birdie on 12 and probably all of Corballis

But as said many times, it's such a pleasure to play it on a nice calm day 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bustercherry

geeksauce wrote: »
    Who is an 18 handicapper now?

Oh and to quote Benny "condescending much"!!

Just to clarify I was referring to you.... But after the 20 IMs you sent me tonight calling me a chump, I'm happy to admit I was wrong and in fact you are 17. Your right that extra shot does qualify you to sneer at other people. I apologise profusely as 17 does indicate to me you have a serious talent for the game. Carry on sneering, you've earned it with all the hard work to get to that level.

Buster
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Just to clarify I was referring to you.... But after the 20 IMs you sent me tonight calling me a chump, I'm happy to admit I was wrong and in fact you are 17. Your right that extra shot does qualify you to sneer at other people. I apologise profusely as 17 does indicate to me you have a serious talent for the game. Carry on sneering, you've earned it with all the hard work to get to that level.

Buster
    xxx

Wow what a nice guy you are Buster seriously though very pleasant condescending post there. I assume you have some evidence to back up your claim that I am off 17 then? Or is this just another made up post like the last one?

Looking forward to seeing your evidence, lets just hope it doesn't take three weeks this time, good luck finding it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

2wpozk2.jpg
    A nice pic of the 6th in Corballis from last friday.

Nice one fixde and carpo for the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played Royal Portrush for the 1st time yesterday, I have been very lucky to play some great courses but Portrush is the best course I have ever played.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

ryaner777 wrote: »
    2wpozk2.jpg
    A nice pic of the 6th in Corballis from last friday.

Nice one fixde and carpo for the round.

That hole can break your heart but I still love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Played Royal Portrush for the 1st time yesterday, I have been very lucky to play some great courses but Portrush is the best course I have ever played.

J

Now then John, as someone who works in the industry and with an understanding of shape and design, tell us why you found Royal Portrush so special. And what's your 2nd best Irish course as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Now then John, as someone who works in the industry and with an understanding of shape and design, tell us why you found Royal Portrush so special. And what's your 2nd best Irish course as a matter of interest?

I have been asked that question a few times today and in can’t quite give a definitive answer YET.

I can say that it felt like in was playing a course of the best 18 links holes ever made but still feeling like one course, if that makes sense.

Obviously the setting is stunning, the course was in amazing condition but in think it is the variance in shots required to get around that in loved. Without being tricked up it tests almost every club in your bag.

The course is very natural and not one hole felt like it was "Constructed" Even the 2 finishing holes, while not being as good as the other 16 still ask questions and require good strategy and shot making.

Give me a few days and in will try and get you a more comprehensive answer.

2nd best course ? I haven’t played as many as in would in would like to but I it would be between Mount Juliet, Lahinch or Waterville (maybe Hermitage too, in just love that course)

• Advertisement

I can say that it felt like in was playing a course of the best 18 links holes ever made but still feeling like one course, if that makes sense.

Obviously the setting is stunning, the course was in amazing condition but in think it is the variance in shots required to get around that in loved. Without being tricked up it tests almost every club in your bag.

The course is very natural and not one hole felt like it was "Constructed" Even the 2 finishing holes, while not being as good as the other 16 still ask questions and require good strategy and shot making.

I still look at 5 and 14 and see them as world class. And 13 and 15 are beauties, too, but the start and finish is where the experience falters for me. In between there is a wonderful flow. In ways it is like Portmarnock (old) in its demands on strategic play and positioning off the tee, but I still can't find a way for RP to make my top 10 links

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Ceann Sibeal, a.k.a. Dingle Links - stunning scenery on all sides. If you get to Dingle for a holiday or short break, make sure you get out to this links course which is beyond Balyferriter, on the tip of the peninsula. Well worth a visit for the scenery alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Off to Tralee tomorrow. Have played it 4 times before and it just gets better and better.

I just LOVE links golf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

This morning in Arklow.

7KgCLj.jpg

Conditions were perfect, only my third round on a links course and I really enjoyed using my imagination with approaches and around the greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Corballis was stunning this morning, I think I have the links bug ( possibly due to the front 9 20pts this morning, got tired on back 9 😢).... My 11 month old baby girl was on a all night insomniac party buzz last night.

Played a few holes out there recently with fix and he told me what club to hit on a few holes...So took the same clubs today and thought more about strategy out there... Boom 20pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Out till 845 pm. Stunning lads.

Just a light waft from the sea. Good for the soul on a Friday.

Still uneven growth on greens, but getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Was also out in Corballis yesterday, what a day, beautiful. First time playing Corballis in 15 years, so it felt like my first time again. Wow. Some great holes on the front, two good closing holes. Greens very good. Will definitely be back.
    Best value golf in the country.

Walked into Mourne Golf Club (aka RCD) - introduced myself and had pints with the members.

These lads telling stories about Faldo - Nicklaus - Woods - McIlroy - Watson. Not just name dropping - just actual stories of actual events.

Lads - this is just a place that you need to go to - it is not a choice I told them. The money is mad - but , you only have one chance at this.

Great laugh, great tips , pure golf people. They see them coming.

They liked that, I just called in and made the effort.

I think this is the happiest I've been in about 3 years :D

They were all laughing at me - saying I will break 85. They have seen it all before - one of the lads tried to cure my slice - they said you can't come to RCD and hit a 6 iron on first :p

God , I love links golf. :D

They invited me to play Bridge - but they are just normal blokes, your ideas can be wrong - so wrong.

Walked into Mourne Golf Club (aka RCD) - introduced myself and had pints with the members.

So you weren't in the main clubhouse? It's always very quiet there. I've been told before that the Mourne clubhouse is the place to go. Sounds like a great laugh.

No Bridge tomorrow, either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

So you weren't in the main clubhouse? It's always very quiet there. I've been told before that the Mourne clubhouse is the place to go. Sounds like a great laugh.

No Bridge tomorrow, either!

I was in there after playing an open day there last July and the lads in there were dead on. Had a couple of pints with the Mourne captain & the head greenkeeper. Sound lads they were.

Sound lads. Real club feel in there.

place to go have a pint and meet members.

• Advertisement

Sound lads. Real club feel in there.

place to go have a pint and meet members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

FdP, your mail box is full. Tee time is at 1pm, I'll be there from 12. I'm hoping you or Kevin is picking up Hunter.
    CUthen

FdP, your mail box is full. Tee time is at 1pm, I'll be there from 12. I'm hoping you or Kevin is picking up Hunter.
    CUthen

Yes all good,

- thanks for pm warning. Now clear.

Will be there around 12 too.

Right, I'm playing Corballis in the morning. Have played it a few times with below desired results.
    Someone give me a strategy guide to go with

Felexicon wrote: »
    Right, I'm playing Corballis in the morning. Have played it a few times with below desired results.

Fix is the man but he's probably getting 9 holes in Ballybunion this evening after RCD this morning and The Island tomorrow :)

This is pretty much the gospel according to Fix
    Corballis 6:9
    (If no advice, it's prob a par 3 and judge wind for distance)

2. Hit 160 through the gap. Wedge to the green.
    3. Hit your driver well and there's room to the right. Very tricky approach. Not a bad idea to lay up and play as a par 5.
    5. Hit it 160-170 off the tee. Favour RHS
    7. 140-155 or less off the tee. Aim at the marker. You'll have a wedge in. No point going for it from the tee.
    8. A well struck driver may run you into trouble if you're long. No harm hitting less. A tricky green to stay on.
    9. If you're gonna miss, miss right.
    11. 6 or 7 iron at the marker for a wedge in. No point going for green off the tee.
    12. Fix let's you hit the driver on this :) the only par 5. Sensible second landing zone is somewhere in between the clubhouse and the green (7i maybe).
    13. Good luck
    14. Hit it 180 aimed at the path.
    15. Grab the big boy.
    16. Grab it again.
    17. Good luck. Skull an iron and it may stay on.
    18. Big landing zone so a lot of clubs to get you there. Plenty of room to the left. Driver may get you in trouble.

Felexicon wrote: »

I have one. On Corballis thread.

Will try dig up.
    But wifi awful in this hotel I'm in.
    Short version

1 obvious.
    2 pw/9 to gap
    3 Feck it - fade in gap or draw over big dune on right.
    But that is if you have an over 200 yard carry in you.
    5 - 6 iron on hrs of fairway. More room right
    7 . 7 iron. If wind behind 8
    11 6 or 7 at pole. Wind behind 7
    12. A drive
    13 don't be short don't be long. Lol
    14 200 yard club . More room on left.
    15 Drive right of bunker
    16 aim at same spot
    17 hit and hope.
    18 200 yard club more room on left.

Lol thanks. PARLANCE.

Some change due to mood.

no at this time of year. Your the higher number iron of the club's.
    Ball beginning to roll and temperature up.

If you hit a solid ball this time of year. I'd be playing 130 yard club on 2.

Cheers lads. Ended up with 29 points thus morning. Took driver out for the par 5 only and lost it in the cabbage.
    Great day for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Corballis this afternoon. Glorious in sunshine, its been more than a few years since i played it last. Great value golf and we were lucky it was only just over 3 hours and a bit. I'll defo play there again this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Corballis this afternoon. Glorious in sunshine, its been more than a few years since i played it last. Great value golf and we were lucky it was only just over 3 hours and a bit. I'll defo play there again this summer.

This thread should be renamed Corballis
    thread , surely more to links golf in Ireland than this place!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

rooney30 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the lads talking about corballis. If you would like to talk about somewhere else, on ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It would be chock full of Portmarnock pics if they dropped €150 quid off the green fee!

Yeah you may have a point. I recently played bettystown but didn't feel the need to post about it here, maybe because i was pure mule that day.
    In the winter i played the European club, my god that place would break your heart.

Have you played on one recently yourself.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Yeah you may have a point. I recently played bettystown but didn't feel the need to post about it here, maybe because i was pure mule that day.
    In the winter i played the European club, my god that place would break your heart.

My best score of the year has come at the European... this game would break your heart!!!!

PARlance wrote: »
    My best score of the year has come at the European... this game would break your heart!!!!

very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Would Galway Bay be considered a full links? Played it recently and if it was, I'd seriously consider playing more links. A good different challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Would Galway Bay be considered a full links? Played it recently and if it was, I'd seriously consider playing more links. A good different challenge.

Partially linksy I would say but in truth it's not really anything like a pure links IMHO. Take a trip out to Ballyconneely for the true experience.

Ok another Links then - Hit The Island with a few lads from here today.
    Class day for any golf , bliss for Links golf.
    It is a brilliant course, a lovely place and great people there. Real welcome from Everybody at club.

The course is in full play and the greens are as good as I've seen on a links - changes taking shape around many tees - lengthening the course. Had a very poor day off the tee - in the wrong place so many times - still recovered ok and had 31 pts.

I was very lucky - as the rough is not as long as I remember there - in mid summer I would have lost about 8 balls - not one lost , just one in water.

It is a great , great course for a links lover. Great variety and shape - it is so unusual to have to hit irons like 5, 6, 7 to par 4s. But it is also a course that must change every day of the week.
    It has holes that are unusual like 2,4,5,6,8,9 - 12,13,14,15,16.
    Not all particularly unusual , but holes you would only see on a links.

It is a great time of year to play links golf - not too hot, nice cooling breeze. Just bliss, away from it all. Only sign of civilisation is the passing Northern Rail line and when Malahide comes into view. Hard to believe you are only a short distance from large suburban areas.

So , will play it again - a must play for Links Lovers.

I basically almost finished the East coast run now - just the following
    Royal Dublin (Next Door) and Laytown - Can't remember Rosslare - so going to go there again very soon. So will have them done in 3 months or so.

If we say for a second Royal County Down is east - I'd rate as follows.

1) Royal County Down
    2) The Island
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Baltray
    5) The European Club
    6) Portmarnock
    7) Arklow
    8) Corballis
    9) Seapoint
    10) St Annes

So East almost there - off to the West next.

Need a little rest and to sort that driving - because these are not course to be playing with a crazy OTT action. :)

Edit
    Just to add to above - As others have said, it can be a bit discrediting to make lists at times - I have had some of my happiest days on some of the lower ranked courses above. Maybe because I score better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 doenahs

It is a brilliant course, a lovely place and great people there. Real welcome from Everybody at club.

The course is in full play and the greens are as good as I've seen on a links - changes taking shape around many tees - lengthening the course. Had a very poor day off the tee - in the wrong place so many times - still recovered ok and had 31 pts.

I was very lucky - as the rough is not as long as I remember there - in mid summer I would have lost about 8 balls - not one lost , just one in water.

It is a great , great course for a links lover. Great variety and shape - it is so unusual to have to hit irons like 5, 6, 7 to par 4s. But it is also a course that must change every day of the week.

It is a great time of year to play links golf - not too hot, nice cooling breeze. Just bliss, away from it all. Only sign of civilisation is the passing Northern Rail line and when Malahide comes into view. Hard to believe you are only a short distance from large suburban areas.

Royal Dublin (Next Door) and Laytown - Can't remember Rosslare - so going to go there again very soon. So will have them done in 3 months or so.

1) Royal County Down
    2) The Island
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Baltray
    5) The European Club
    6) Portmarnock
    7) Arklow
    8) Corballis
    9) Seapoint
    10) St Annes

Need a little rest and to sort that driving - because these are not course to be playing with a crazy OTT action. :)

Edit
    Just to add to above - As others have said, it can be a bit discrediting to make lists at times - I have had some of my happiest days on some of the lower ranked courses above. Maybe because I score better :)

Can I ask much you paid for the round?
    I'd love to play the course but their green fees prices are crazy according to their website.

Doenahs.

Most of above played - winter rate , an open, was with a member or very lucky to get an invite with someone who had a 4 ball.

But I have paid £ 100 sterling to play Royal County Down and have got the rest from 30 to 60 euro.
    I think it is mad money for most of them. Also payed 55 euro to play The Island - 50 euro European.

I plan on playing most of the rest in the 3 day sort of classics / challenge. At that rate you get them at about 60 euro a go.

If I'm being honest - to play the top course - I would pay over 100 euro. I sort of have no choice. But with the thread here and from asking around , there are ways of getting to play the big ones for near 60.

I'll be playing a lot of winter golf to get the west done - because the total money required is phenomenal. No doubting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doenahs

Doenahs.

Most of above played - winter rate , an open, was with a member or very lucky to get an invite with someone who had a 4 ball.

But I have paid £ 100 sterling to play Royal County Down and have got the rest from 30 to 60 euro.
    I think it is mad money for most of them. Also payed 55 euro to play The Island - 50 euro European.

I plan on playing most of the rest in the 3 day sort of classics / challenge. At that rate you get them at about 60 euro a go.

If I'm being honest - to play the top course - I would pay over 100 euro. I sort of have no choice. But with the thread here and from asking around , there are ways of getting to play the big ones for near 60.

I'll be playing a lot of winter golf to get the west done - because the total money required is phenomenal. No doubting it.

Thanks for that.
    Agree that the best way to play the top courses and not pay crazy green fee prices is the way you described.
    I try not to pay over €60 for a top quality course-got RCD and European last year for about €50 in the summer.
    Got myself a openfairwayscard this year-it's already paid for itself!

Played with Fix, Trapper and Hunter at The Island yesterday (see Fix's comments above). I love the place.

Here's one of the best pics I took (on smartphone)... Hunter above the 8th green. Spot the ball!!

wj6i2t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Played Dooks during the week (in a tshirt!) It's definitely an underrated course, probably because of the standard of links courses in Kerry.

I'm going to play a links in Dublin some weekend next month and looking for suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

idle wrote: »
    Played Dooks during the week (in a tshirt!) It's definitely an underrated course, probably because of the standard of links courses in Kerry.

I'm going to play a links in Dublin some weekend next month and looking for suggestions

Well if money isn't an issue Portmarnock would be number one on my list.

• Advertisement

If your looking for best quality for value.
    Portmarnock Links.
    I guess you know this is not the same as Old Portmarnock.

Said to Hunter after he had hit his 2nd to there. In photo.
    Welcome to Irish Golf with your next shot.

Wouldn't mind he hammered me with a great round of 82. (Lol)
    Great golf from our American - future course designer.

I was going to avail of the under 30s offer in Donabate GC but after playing Corballis yesterday and a parkland today I think I might go for a 4 day membership in Corballis for €100 cheaper. Thinking of going Wednesday to Saturday as the opens are on Wednesday and Friday. Anyone here a member, any advice or thoughts on it as a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hrigsby2

1) Royal County Down
    2) The Island
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Baltray
    5) The European Club
    6) Portmarnock
    7) Arklow
    8) Corballis
    9) Seapoint
    10) St Annes

Edit

Portmarnock Links and Baltray above The European and Portmarnock!? I grimaced reading that :). To each their own of course, but I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind those two.
    Said to Hunter after he had hit his 2nd to there. In photo.
    Welcome to Irish Golf with your next shot.

Wouldn't mind he hammered me with a great round of 82. (Lol)
    Great golf from our American - future course designer.

I definitely learned how not to play a few holes (notably the 8th, 14th, and 15th). For a while there on the back 9 I felt like I was on a safari with the scenery I was taking in. Managed to scramble for some ugly bogeys but I remember thinking, "Man, that looks lovely," in reference to you hitting a wedge from the middle of the fairway into the 15th green while I mulled over how nice it would be to have a weed-eater as one of my 14 clubs! :P.

That shot on the 8th was definitely a "welcome to Irish golf," moment and was aptly called. Of course my only rational solution was a flop shot...true to those American roots! I still have a lot to learn about links golf and how to play it. Notably how to play the low, Markham style shots. It wouldn't hurt to have the 220 yard 7-iron in the bag either Pat! Can I pick one of those up back home or is it a local special? :P. I think this was the first round I've played since I got here that I didn't even stand a chance of being the long ball off the tee if everyone connected!

Definitely a fun round on a great course. Not a chance that I'd rate The Island outside of the Top 5 links courses that I've played to date. Still have a few more to get to but it's definitely worthy of the praise it receives.

Right, three more photos from The Island.

Fix bunkered on 16 am37zd.jpg

Trapper hits a beauty on 17 2z5prb8.jpg

Hunter after a big one on 5 zwkaye.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement