Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

geeksauce wrote: »
    Yes and your point.

That is my opinion, I feel that links is a true test, and yes I prefer it to walking around a parklands course (or glorified field) again my opinion.

If you are a parkland course you might be upset by me saying that but someone who plays a parkland course shouldn't be. This is a thread about links golf, so chances are the posters here would have an affinity for it and would prefer it to Parklands Golf, if that upsets you maybe this isn't the thread for you.

Perhaps I should have left it to Benny Cake to answer your question, but on reading your post I would have agreed with all but the 2 quotes I highlighted. I didn't think it was necessary to put down parkland courses in order to sing the praises of links golf. That is why I thought it was a bit condescending. Maybe I'm wrong but hey that's just my opinion.
    I take your point that it is a thread called Links, but I don't think that excludes anyone else from becoming involved in the discussion. In particular I would hope that people would read this thread and be encouraged to try more links golf as it is so unique.
    Anyway that's my 2 cents

p.s. I play all ( 95%+) of my golf on a links.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Yes and your point.

That is my opinion, I feel that links is a true test, and yes I prefer it to walking around a parklands course (or glorified field) again my opinion.

If you are a parkland course you might be upset by me saying that but someone who plays a parkland course shouldn't be. This is a thread about links golf, so chances are the posters here would have an affinity for it and would prefer it to Parklands Golf, if that upsets you maybe this isn't the thread for you.

The use of the term glorified field does not help your case. Adare, Mount Juliet = glorified fields ? I don't think so

It's the equivalent of someone calling a links a glorified beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Perhaps I should have left it to Benny Cake to answer your question, but on reading your post I would have agreed with all but the 2 quotes I highlighted. I didn't think it was necessary to put down parkland courses in order to sing the praises of links golf. That is why I thought it was a bit condescending. Maybe I'm wrong but hey that's just my opinion.
    I take your point that it is a thread called Links, but I don't think that excludes anyone else from becoming involved in the discussion. In particular I would hope that people would read this thread and be encouraged to try more links golf as it is so unique.
    Anyway that's my 2 cents

p.s. I play all ( 95%+) of my golf on a links.

Maybe I am a bit too biased when it comes to Links courses and therefore was a bit OTT in my assessment of Parklands courses. It's not that I don't like them I just much prefer the links courses.

I also don't think anyone should be excluded from the thread I simply meant that given the nature of thread chances are there will be the odd post declaring links courses to be far superior than parkland courses and if this is likely to cause offence then reading the thread on the greatness of links courses may not be the best idea.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    The use of the term glorified field does not help your case. Adare, Mount Juliet = glorified fields ? I don't think so

It's the equivalent of someone calling a links a glorified beach

Well if someone decides to call a links a glorified beach then that's fine by me I don't find it to be condescending in any way shape or form, I accept that this is simply their opinion of links courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

That last stretch - invariably into the wind - is to remind you that at 1 and towards 10 you felt this course is easy.

But a very hard finish.

Never a truer word spoken! I remember playing a driver, some-sort-of-wood and a 4 iron to a par 5...was a little short but got up&down for Battle of the Somme-like par.

A rake of balls with my mark on them still out there I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Should I set up a Glorified Field Thread? :D

I actually though Geeks post was a good one but I hadn't noticed the glorified field bit. The bit about the parkland guy struggling is a bit harsh too.
    (Some links guys say they struggle to hit off soggy fairways, or that they struggle to get pin high as they are so used to getting a bit of bounce)

But apart from those two things that might cause offence, I thought it was a good post :P

I always loved links and preferred it over parkland, but I have played mostly links since Jan and I have to say the divide is getting greater.
    Completely enjoyed Portunma the last day but there's just something special about links, there always has been, and it's getting better every time I play them.

Comparing a links to a parkland at this time of year is a bit unfair, I'll be playing a lot more fields in the summer hopefully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ahh lads - we said that this is not the Links versus Parkland Thread :)

Love Glorified Beach. :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

What is condescending about it, or is that a question, I see the question mark but am confused whether you are making a statement or asking a question?:confused:
    "Links is the true test, ........"
    ".............Beats walking round a glorified field any day."

Not to forget the following "gem"....
    . I can go to a parkland course and compete with members that play them week in week out, get the same members onto a links course and watch them try flop shots from 2 yards off the green, cracks me up every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That was the line that really got me Benny!

Thanks for that.

(goes back to staying out of the thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Benny Cake wrote: »

Agreed, certainly ludicrous coming from an 18 handicapper ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NorfolkEnchants

That picture from Kevin of Enniscrone is just epic, love that course.

Will be home soon to play Carne, Strandhill, Enniscrone and The European, all in the space of a week, with another round in Mt Juliet thrown in for good measure. That Enniscrone picture has me excited, I seriously can't wait.

Lads played Portmarnock Links today.

A great course.

It starts uncertain - not sure if it is a links at all. But once you hit 7-8-9 , you hit a true links.
    The holes have great variety and club demand.

The greens are often raised and a club less can hit before green and roll on. An argument could be madef that is is too reliant on chance.

At 18 you hear the sea , but never see it.

A great course - a Royal Dublin - with more to it.

Benny Cake wrote: »

And what is wrong with saying that, I have a friend who I play with on a Parkland course and we are usually pretty close score wise, when he comes to the links he tries the shots he uses on the parkland around the greens which have no chance of working and we laugh about it. He laughs about it too, like I said cracks me up.

I am glad you thought it was a gem nice to be appreciated, cheers Benny.:pac:

Agreed, certainly ludicrous coming from an 18 handicapper ;)

Who is an 18 handicapper now?

Oh and to quote Benny "condescending much"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

That picture from Kevin of Enniscrone is just epic, love that course.

Will be home soon to play Carne, Strandhill, Enniscrone and The European, all in the space of a week, with another round in Mt Juliet thrown in for good measure. That Enniscrone picture has me excited, I seriously can't wait.
    It is a roller coaster of Fun, lots of Dunes at the start 5 flat holes in the middle before the par 3 then the 2 short par 4's play to where you can see for both, actually that goes for almost all of the course you will do fine around it playing to where you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Played The Island today and man that's some test of golf. Long and true.

Need to really plan your shots. No flops or you're toast. Course is in great shape and love to play it on a warm sunny day. One of the finest courses you'll play in Dublin I'd say.

87% FIR and finished with same ball started with so that was pleasing.

the lawman wrote: »
    Played The Island today and man that's some test of golf. Long and true.

Need to really plan your shots. No flops or you're toast. Course is in great shape and love to play it on a warm sunny day. One of the finest courses you'll play in Dublin I'd say.

The is fantastic going for your first time there - well done. Was wild enough early this morning. Was next door practising looking in - with envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Anytime you finish with the same ball you started is a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Was down in the European Club myself this morning for the first time. It's a fantastic track, definitely the best links course I've yet to play and probably the best course I've played full stop. I really have to get down there during the summer to see it at it's best, it was in really good nick today but there was a few bits of casual water from the heavy rain over the last couple of days. There are just so many good holes on it, loved the stretch along the coast and the 2 extra holes are a nice touch as well, the second extra par 3 being my favorite. Also, I really have to mention the guy in the pro shop, I didn't get his name but he was a true gent and really looked after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

87% FIR

Fair play:cool: Don't think I'd manage that with a 7 iron off every tee :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Loire wrote: »
    Fair play:cool: Don't think I'd manage that with a 7 iron off every tee :p
    FIR on it's own is a pointless stat, GIR is a much better indicator of how you have actually played tee to green (which is the object of the game), e.g you could have 0% FIR and still have 100% GIR, but if you are hitting 87% FIR and not getting a return of better than 72% GIR then you need to look at your game because something is wrong.

FIR on it's own is a pointless stat, GIR is a much better indicator of how you have actually played tee to green (which is the object of the game), e.g you could have 0% FIR and still have 100% GIR, but if you are hitting 87% FIR and not getting a return of better than 72% GIR then you need to look at your game because something is wrong.

Haha. Can you be my coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Haha. Can you be my coach?
    Haha, thanks but no thanks, there wouldn't be much point.
    Quick question for you though which would you prefer to have, a 100% FIR and 0% GIR or vice versa?, I'll guess you'd prefer the former.

Haha, thanks but no thanks, there wouldn't be much point.
    Quick question for you though which would you prefer to have, a 100% FIR and 0% GIR or vice versa?, I'll guess you'd prefer the former.

As much as this conversation sounds really constructive and positive I think I might just leave it. Best of luck though fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Played Arklow today. It was my first time playing here and was really looking forward to it. I have to say I was a little dissapointed. I was expecting more. The par 3s were great except one new looking hole over a lake on the back nine. Not really linksy at all. But the rest didn't do it for me. The quarry and industrial estate are not what you would expect around a links either. The overall condition of the place was poor enough I thought. Wouldn't be in a hurry to play it again. I must say the staff there in the office are some of the friendliest welcoming people I've come across and a huge thumbs up for that. Sorry if I offend anybody by my comments but its just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Arklow gc reminds me of rush gc for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

What's laytown like lads?

Playing it in a couple of weeks

ForeRight wrote: »
    What's laytown like lads?

Playing it in a couple of weeks

I've only 2 to do on east coast This above and Royaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I've only 2 to do on east coast This above and Royaler.

Royaler county down?

It's no European

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Royaler county down?

It's no European

No Dublin.

I think - I'd put County Down ahead of European.

Advertisement