Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

No Dublin.

I think - I'd put County Down ahead of European.

I've never played royal Dublin myself.

I'd prefer the European purely on the basis that there are so little blind shots in the European compared to RCD

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    I've never played royal Dublin myself.

I'd prefer the European purely on the basis that there are so little blind shots in the European compared to RCD

I like blind holes - a bit odd like that.

Also not a fan of the sleepers - but maybe another go needed.

I like blind holes - a bit odd like that.

Also not a fan of the sleepers - but maybe another go needed.

The sleepers are a killer no doubt but just stay away from them and you're grand ;)

The sleepers are a killer no doubt but just stay away from them and you're grand ;)

but for me - if you look at most bunkers - they have a slope that makes the ball roll a fair bit - it makes it go to a reasonable position - that you may have to play a good bunker shot to get out. But on some of the bunkers in The European - you fall straight down along a piece of wood - you end up at the piece of wood. A bunker shot becomes unplayable - that to me is not golf.

Maybe I was unlucky and it happened to be the first bunker I went into. I was going well killed my momentum.

A piece of wood to me is not a natural piece of a golf course - ok if it is supporting a drain - but to me it goes against my idea of a bunker, a golf club can not swing into a sleeper.

It is a nice feature visually - but - there are too many of them and a bunker shot , should be a bunker shot.

Saying don't go into a bunker in a links - is not on. Bunkers are the defence system of a links - I can get out of most bunkers - would have been a good bunker player in the past - but I haven't the ability to swing at something designed to support rolling stock .

Will review after a few visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

FIR on it's own is a pointless stat.

Tell that to Fred Funk..

• Advertisement

I won't disagree, they are not ideal that's for sure.

I've never been unfortunate enough to be sitting against one although I have been close to them where by I haven't been able to complete a swing. The times I was close to them I just punched the ball against them at anagle that it wouldn't bounce back against me and the angie of the sleeper has taken the ball out no problem for me.
    Obviously no chance of going at a green if in a fairway one.

I won't disagree, they are not ideal that's for sure.

I've never been unfortunate enough to be sitting against one although I have been close to them where by I haven't been able to complete a swing. The times I was close to them I just punched the ball against them at anagle that it wouldn't bounce back against me and the angie of the sleeper has taken the ball out no problem for me.
    Obviously no chance of going at a green if in a fairway one.

I think I was maybe unlucky - but said to the lads - that the last time I had 4 shots in a bunker - I was about 8 on a pitch and putt course.

In saying that - my bunker shots were poor at the time - had totally forgotten how to play bunker shots - but that is sorted now - all in the bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

What's laytown like lads?

Playing it in a couple of weeks

I played it only once and thought it was average enough. Couple of fairways cross which I don't like some might think its quirky. For me it's well worth playing but wouldn't be in a mad rush back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

What's laytown like lads?

Playing it in a couple of weeks

On the face of it, suffers in comparison to its near neighbour across the river. Not as long and a bit cramped. However it's always hard to score on it. Small greens and penal (summer) rough pose a tough challenge. It'll certainly test your up and down skills.
    When Jean van der Veldt was asked about the penal rough in Carnoustie ( where there were accusations that the R&A had used fertiliser on it) he replied that he had spent the previous week practicing in Bettystown where it was even worse. Had he not blown it at the last he would have credited his win to his preparation to that week in Bettystown.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

the lawman wrote: »
    As much as this conversation sounds really constructive and positive I think I might just leave it. Best of luck though fella.
    That's grand so, glad you agree with me. All good hear fella.
    Loire wrote: »
    Tell that to Fred Funk..
    Why? I'm sure he's already aware of the relevance of GIR over FIR.
    but for me - if you look at most bunkers - they have a slope that makes the ball roll a fair bit - it makes it go to a reasonable position - that you may have to play a good bunker shot to get out. But on some of the bunkers in The European - you fall straight down along a piece of wood - you end up at the piece of wood. A bunker shot becomes unplayable - that to me is not golf.

Maybe I was unlucky and it happened to be the first bunker I went into. I was going well killed my momentum.

A piece of wood to me is not a natural piece of a golf course - ok if it is supporting a drain - but to me it goes against my idea of a bunker, a golf club can not swing into a sleeper.

It is a nice feature visually - but - there are too many of them and a bunker shot , should be a bunker shot.

Saying don't go into a bunker in a links - is not on. Bunkers are the defence system of a links - I can get out of most bunkers - would have been a good bunker player in the past - but I haven't the ability to swing at something designed to support rolling stock .

Will review after a few visits.
    Spot on Fix have to agree with there, very unlike Ruddy to get it so wrong in relation to the sleepers in bunkers especially when he seems to have got everything else so right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

It's actually 'here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Regarding the bunkers in the European Club, I actually though they looked good and even though I was in enough of them and had no problems, I really think I would preferred it if they were traditional sod walls, especially on the fairway bunkers, I was always half scared I would thin one and kill myself with the rebound :D

Gonna try attach some pics of the Island because, why not.

Another

I'd love to play that place. It looks fabulous

Last one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played Corballis on Saturday they had a open on scored 30 points so one of my better rounds around there. Greens were in good condition but lots of divots in the areas where the ball gathers but overall in good condition.
    If i never played a comp in Corballis i'd be 13 .1's better off handicap wise. Funny thing i have played the same amount of comps in Portmarnock and am -.5 for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

What is it about Corballis? It's short, it has a heap of par 3s but people struggle to score (except fix!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Dealerz wrote: »
    What is it about Corballis? It's short, it has a heap of par 3s but people struggle to score (except fix!)?

Missing the fairway/green= never seeing your ball again.

Yes divots a disaster. You will be in 3 on a round. (on average). It is to do with the bumps and landing zones.

It is just my home course (sort of) and know what club to hit off a tee. That is all - just requires experience there. But it is almost impossible to play the place without a blow up - examples are 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9. 11-12-13-14-17.
    All the holes there can end up in 6-7-8-9.
    How many course have that many holes that can do that , and some are only 100 yards.
    I've never had a round without a treble or more. I will one day. Hope to par it one day.

It is just hard to convince people to hit a 9 iron on 2.
    A 6 or 7 on 5
    A 7 or 8 on 7

That 7 and 8 are disasters waiting to happen

That you do not go for any of the holes that you think you should.

It just takes incredible discipline - that I don't have , but I have been tortured into submission.

The only hole I make a mistake on now is 3. I go for it every time - make it 1 in 4.
    Ends in par , birdie or 7 - 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Such a test of all round golf IMO. I've made a mission to play it as much as possible this year. It may result in a lot of plus .1s but I believe I'll get them back elsewhere, plus some, thanks to it.

6 Par 3's... Sounds easy. The 10th (index 18) is the only one where a scratch isn't too close by. The 1st shouldn't really be a danger of a scratch but considering it's the opening hole, a poor first swing can make it hard work.
    All the rest are pretty damn hard. 17 is just ridiculously hard. I'm convinced you need to miss hit it to find that top tier... And I'm not sure you want to be on the lower tier putting up, there's no good place to miss, and chances are you'll miss... I may just walk the hole the next time I play it :)

The short par 4's... So bloody tempting to go for them, never ends well. Even when you take a sensible club on them, it has to be fairly damn accurate or your in trouble.
    And if you get burned early on with playing the sensible shot and get punish, well it's hard to persist in playing sensible again.

The longer par 4s require a good drive and a very good approach.

You have to hit over a large area of internal OOB's if you're going for the only Par 5 in two.

Of the 18 holes, there are only four that allow a decent margin for error IMO (1,10, 12 if you're not going for it in 2 & 15)

Most of the above was brought to you via Sensei Fix brainwashing me.

PS you can't drive 14... An in joke from the last round. Someone (me) needed empirical evidence :(

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PARlance wrote: »

Most of the above was brought to you via Sensei Fix brainwashing (

To be fair to him when I started listening to fix I had my first ever birdie on 12 and probably all of Corballis

But as said many times, it's such a pleasure to play it on a nice calm day 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

geeksauce wrote: »
    Who is an 18 handicapper now?

Oh and to quote Benny "condescending much"!!

Just to clarify I was referring to you.... But after the 20 IMs you sent me tonight calling me a chump, I'm happy to admit I was wrong and in fact you are 17. Your right that extra shot does qualify you to sneer at other people. I apologise profusely as 17 does indicate to me you have a serious talent for the game. Carry on sneering, you've earned it with all the hard work to get to that level.

Buster
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Just to clarify I was referring to you.... But after the 20 IMs you sent me tonight calling me a chump, I'm happy to admit I was wrong and in fact you are 17. Your right that extra shot does qualify you to sneer at other people. I apologise profusely as 17 does indicate to me you have a serious talent for the game. Carry on sneering, you've earned it with all the hard work to get to that level.

Buster
    xxx

Wow what a nice guy you are Buster seriously though very pleasant condescending post there. I assume you have some evidence to back up your claim that I am off 17 then? Or is this just another made up post like the last one?

Looking forward to seeing your evidence, lets just hope it doesn't take three weeks this time, good luck finding it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

2wpozk2.jpg
    A nice pic of the 6th in Corballis from last friday.

Nice one fixde and carpo for the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played Royal Portrush for the 1st time yesterday, I have been very lucky to play some great courses but Portrush is the best course I have ever played.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

ryaner777 wrote: »
    2wpozk2.jpg
    A nice pic of the 6th in Corballis from last friday.

Nice one fixde and carpo for the round.

That hole can break your heart but I still love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Played Royal Portrush for the 1st time yesterday, I have been very lucky to play some great courses but Portrush is the best course I have ever played.

J

Now then John, as someone who works in the industry and with an understanding of shape and design, tell us why you found Royal Portrush so special. And what's your 2nd best Irish course as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Now then John, as someone who works in the industry and with an understanding of shape and design, tell us why you found Royal Portrush so special. And what's your 2nd best Irish course as a matter of interest?

I have been asked that question a few times today and in can’t quite give a definitive answer YET.

I can say that it felt like in was playing a course of the best 18 links holes ever made but still feeling like one course, if that makes sense.

Obviously the setting is stunning, the course was in amazing condition but in think it is the variance in shots required to get around that in loved. Without being tricked up it tests almost every club in your bag.

The course is very natural and not one hole felt like it was "Constructed" Even the 2 finishing holes, while not being as good as the other 16 still ask questions and require good strategy and shot making.

Give me a few days and in will try and get you a more comprehensive answer.

2nd best course ? I haven’t played as many as in would in would like to but I it would be between Mount Juliet, Lahinch or Waterville (maybe Hermitage too, in just love that course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I can say that it felt like in was playing a course of the best 18 links holes ever made but still feeling like one course, if that makes sense.

Obviously the setting is stunning, the course was in amazing condition but in think it is the variance in shots required to get around that in loved. Without being tricked up it tests almost every club in your bag.

The course is very natural and not one hole felt like it was "Constructed" Even the 2 finishing holes, while not being as good as the other 16 still ask questions and require good strategy and shot making.

I still look at 5 and 14 and see them as world class. And 13 and 15 are beauties, too, but the start and finish is where the experience falters for me. In between there is a wonderful flow. In ways it is like Portmarnock (old) in its demands on strategic play and positioning off the tee, but I still can't find a way for RP to make my top 10 links

Advertisement