Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-06-2019, 12:00   #226
brownian
Registered User
 
brownian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by harringtonp View Post
Tubeless seems to have worked well for you so far. Would you not leave your tubeless setup as is and carry an ordinary spare tyre and tube ?
It's the pressure loss that really wrecks my head. With a track pump, no issue. But with the lipstick-sized thing that I carry around on the bike...urgh.

For light touring (no wife, no panniers, no carrier), carrying a spare tyre (apart from the one built into my waist) messes up my packing strategies.
brownian is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-06-2019, 22:45   #227
H.E. Pennypacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownian View Post
Just a side comment, regarding long distance touring. I'm off to Italy for a few weeks of cycling, later this summer, and will be replacing my tubeless setup with tubed. While I think that tubeless is great if you've got a home base within a few hours, and a track pump handy to keep the pressures up and to reseat a tyre if need be, I find that a week out from home the advantages are much less.

Specifically
- any major puncture may lead to the need for more sealant, and I'm not carting a bottle of that around. Half a bottle maybe, but I"ve yet to find one that didn't leak.
- tyre pressure drops much more quickly in tubeless (Schwalbe pro ones).
- rolling resistance and zippiness is less valuable when you have two big fat Ortlieb panniers handing off you.
- bike tubes and normal tyres are more widely available
- seating a tubeless tyre is a PITA unless you have a compressor or a really good track pump. Having the 'will I need to replace the tyre' worry hanging over me when I'm a week away from home is much more of an issue than on the Sally Gap.
- a tyre boot is a genuinely useful article for which there is no equivalent, tubeless.

So...am sacrificing the self-healing capability for easier dealing-with-middle-sized-problems.
Just my 2 cent, and comment - not making any general recommendation here.

Why not just carry a spare tube (and maybe tyre boot) for a worst case scenario? They'll work with your tubeless tyre and you won't have seating problems then. In terms of a non-leaking sealant container, here's one that's easily packable with suitable capacity for two tyres: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-mar...-sealant-60ml/

Superglue and sealant works well for bigger tyre cuts. You'd have the best of both worlds then....

Running tubed isn't a bad idea and is a practical solution - its your holiday and the important thing is that you enjoy it.
H.E. Pennypacker is offline  
25-06-2019, 22:52   #228
tuxy
Registered User
 
tuxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,388
I think having to pump the tyres more frequently with a travel size pump is a major downside. Tubeless has it's place but I probably wouldn't go on a light weight bike tour with Tubeless tyres.
tuxy is offline  
26-06-2019, 09:33   #229
harringtonp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,792
Because you run them at lower pressure does this not mean that it is easier to get the required pressure with a small hand pump ?

I also use a track pump on tubeless before almost every spin. Usually pumping from about 60 to 80 Don't view it as a hassle, just part of my pre spin routine, but it is a track pump
harringtonp is offline  
26-06-2019, 15:02   #230
brownian
Registered User
 
brownian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by harringtonp View Post
Because you run them at lower pressure does this not mean that it is easier to get the required pressure with a small hand pump ?
Not really. With tubed, you almost never have to top up. With tubeless, almost always.

Don't get me wrong - in general I am a tubeless fanboy, but not while touring.
brownian is offline  
Advertisement
26-06-2019, 15:05   #231
Fighting Tao
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownian View Post
Not really. With tubed, you almost never have to top up. With tubeless, almost always.

Don't get me wrong - in general I am a tubeless fanboy, but not while touring.
Take one of these and top up when passing petroleum stations.

[url]https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/lifeline-presta-to-schrader-valve-pump-adaptor/rp-prod164963?gs=1&sku=sku609845&pgrid=55940684101&ptaid=pla-437445073595&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsifTq7yyl_dm%7Cpcrid%7C294740729957%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C609845IE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6L-GoKiH4wIVZzbTCh3fBAXAEAQYASABEgJg0_D_BwE[\url]
Fighting Tao is offline  
Thanks from:
26-06-2019, 22:57   #232
who_ru
Registered User
 
who_ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownian View Post
Just a side comment, regarding long distance touring. I'm off to Italy for a few weeks of cycling, later this summer, and will be replacing my tubeless setup with tubed. While I think that tubeless is great if you've got a home base within a few hours, and a track pump handy to keep the pressures up and to reseat a tyre if need be, I find that a week out from home the advantages are much less.

Specifically
- any major puncture may lead to the need for more sealant, and I'm not carting a bottle of that around. Half a bottle maybe, but I"ve yet to find one that didn't leak.
- tyre pressure drops much more quickly in tubeless (Schwalbe pro ones).
- rolling resistance and zippiness is less valuable when you have two big fat Ortlieb panniers handing off you.
- bike tubes and normal tyres are more widely available
- seating a tubeless tyre is a PITA unless you have a compressor or a really good track pump. Having the 'will I need to replace the tyre' worry hanging over me when I'm a week away from home is much more of an issue than on the Sally Gap.
- a tyre boot is a genuinely useful article for which there is no equivalent, tubeless.

So...am sacrificing the self-healing capability for easier dealing-with-middle-sized-problems.
Just my 2 cent, and comment - not making any general recommendation here.
You shouldn’t be experiencing pressure drops in the way you suggest. I have giant Gavia tubeless tires and last Saturday I did a 130km sportive. Pumped up front and back before the event. Got home and put bike in the shed.

Took bike out of shed today, checked both tires and no pressure loss at all. Went out and did 85km today. Both tires were fitted by the shop I bought the bike in.
who_ru is offline  
27-06-2019, 14:44   #233
Fighting Tao
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_ru View Post
You shouldn’t be experiencing pressure drops in the way you suggest. I have giant Gavia tubeless tires and last Saturday I did a 130km sportive. Pumped up front and back before the event. Got home and put bike in the shed.

Took bike out of shed today, checked both tires and no pressure loss at all. Went out and did 85km today. Both tires were fitted by the shop I bought the bike in.
It depends on the tyres. I have Yksion Pro UST on one bike and the pressure dropped a lot between spins. My other bike has WTB Resolutes and they hold air much better.
Fighting Tao is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2019, 15:18   #234
theunforgiven
Registered User
 
theunforgiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Tao View Post
It depends on the tyres. I have Yksion Pro UST on one bike and the pressure dropped a lot between spins. My other bike has WTB Resolutes and they hold air much better.
I have the same Mavic Tyres and find the same, the pressure drops about 20psi after a few days/week.
Wasn't sure if this was normal for tubeless or not.
theunforgiven is offline  
Advertisement
01-07-2019, 22:20   #235
MediaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp2012 View Post
Hi MediaMan, I got a set of Pro Ones and have DT Swiss wheels and as you did the front went on straight away no issues but I still can't get the rear to stay without a tube. When you deflated your tyres do they unseat themselves? Everytime I deflate to put in sealant they unseat and then I can't use the track pump to re-inflate but have to use CO2. I am getting a Schwalbe Tire Booster put just looking to see if you have any pointers with similar set up.

Thanks.
Apologies, have been infrequent on boards in the last couple of months and missed this. Hope you got sorted out in the meantime, but in case you are still having issues...

Bottom line is that there seems to be a design flaw or tolerance issue with the DT Swiss rear wheels, but you can still make it work.

For me, originally the rear tyre would unseat if I let the air out, or even dropped it below 20 psi. Once I put extra rim/gorilla tape on, that was less inclined to happen. Then I left my tyres inflated (and unused) through the winter, pumping them up every now and again. When I went to clean the the wheels and tyres out and replace the sealant in April it took a bit of effort to get the tyres, including the rear, to unseat as they had become fairly well fixed on.

When I went to reinstall the tyre I used an airshot (same as tire booster) and that worked fine. You can't carry that on the bike though! Also, remember you absolutely have to use soapy water or the Schwalbe equivalent liquid on the bead for the tyre to seat!

I would suggest that if you can get the rear to stay seated with no air in, then, in contrast to what I did above, you should leave it that way indefinitely, even when replacing the sealant. Use a syringe to remove the old sealant and add the new stuff after removing the valve core. It's less messy too.

If the tyre is still inclined to unseat when the air is let out, I'd suggest that's not a good situation, as if you get a puncture that doesn't seal then the tyre will unseat and you will need CO2 to re-seat it on the road like you described. And according to legend (and sealant small print), CO2 causes sealant to separate so you'll have to do it all again with a booster and new sealant when you get home.

If you are still in that situation, I'd be inclined to either add extra rim tape and see if that helps or go back to tube-based on the rear.
MediaMan is offline  
01-07-2019, 22:28   #236
MediaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownian View Post
For light touring (no wife, no panniers, no carrier)
Had a good laugh at the thought that you would usually carry your wife around on your touring bike!
MediaMan is offline  
04-07-2019, 10:59   #237
harringtonp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,792
Went to do an interval session yesterday and heard air coming from the Schwalbe Pron One 23mm in the back of the van and saw sealant on the floor. Pumped the wheel up and it held enough pressure to get the session done though every now and then you would hear a small air release.

Had a good look at the tyre afterwards and it was worn in a couple of places including around where the sealant was spewing out. So decided it was time to replace the tyre, just got a little over 3 months out of it. I notice that the front tyre seems to be lasting a lot longer, apart from weight distribution I suspect rear wheel lock ups has something to do with it.

Anyway tried to fit a new Schwalbe Pro One 23mm last night which I had in waiting. Can't for the life of me get it to inflate. This is the third Pro One 23mm I'm trying to fit on this wheel, the other two went on fairly easily with the lifeline airblast.

I can see rim tape after putting on the tyre so it is not seated tight against the rims but I think it was like this too previously. Have read back through this thread looking for ideas and am wondering about the rim tape. When I run my fingers around it I hear crackling sounds and there are air bubbles. This wasn't a problem with the old tyre which held pressure with the rim tape, I'm wondering was sealant playing a part here ?

Does/should rim tape be replaced on a regular basis ? Don't have any rim tape at home and would need to wait a few days after ordering but I see others here have gotten away with Aldi Gorilla tape which I do have.
harringtonp is offline  
04-07-2019, 11:13   #238
Leroy42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,533
I can see the trouble that, some, tubeless can cause. Be it getting it on the rim, inflation, staying inflated (although I suspect this issue is overblown!) and dealing with bigger punctures.

I fail to see how it is a better system that the tried and testing tubes that have been used for ages. So they can be run at lower pressures, which is good for off-road, but then if you ride off-road then you probably have wider (28mm) tires anyway which can be run at lower pressures and offer more comfort anyway.

I have tubeless ready on my bike with came with tubes and I have never bothered to go tubeless, and had tubeless running on another bike but when they punctured I refitted a tube and never bothered to go back.

I don't cycle as much as I used to but even when I was doing quite a lot of training, punctures would be relatively rare. Sometimes you run into a bad run of them,but in those cases I would replace the tyre and that would generally deal with the issue.

I suppose what I am trying to get at here is that is tubeless really worth the hassle? I appreciate that there are many that have no hassle at all with it, but it adds another level of complexity to riding a bike that I really don't see the need for.
Leroy42 is offline  
04-07-2019, 11:26   #239
harringtonp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy42 View Post
I can see the trouble that, some, tubeless can cause. Be it getting it on the rim, inflation, staying inflated (although I suspect this issue is overblown!) and dealing with bigger punctures.

I fail to see how it is a better system that the tried and testing tubes that have been used for ages. So they can be run at lower pressures, which is good for off-road, but then if you ride off-road then you probably have wider (28mm) tires anyway which can be run at lower pressures and offer more comfort anyway.

I have tubeless ready on my bike with came with tubes and I have never bothered to go tubeless, and had tubeless running on another bike but when they punctured I refitted a tube and never bothered to go back.

I don't cycle as much as I used to but even when I was doing quite a lot of training, punctures would be relatively rare. Sometimes you run into a bad run of them,but in those cases I would replace the tyre and that would generally deal with the issue.

I suppose what I am trying to get at here is that is tubeless really worth the hassle? I appreciate that there are many that have no hassle at all with it, but it adds another level of complexity to riding a bike that I really don't see the need for.
I hope somebody can answer my question above or at least throw light on it.

But to answer yours I haven't had a single puncture in a race since going tubeless in the latter part of 2017. Before that they were regular enough occurrences and are a real pisser when you drive 2-3 hours each way to a race. Unlike the pros, I've never got back into the bunch after a puncture and if one happens in a stage race you are looking at your name at the bottom of the listings.

Part of the massive change may also be down to different wheels but I pretty sure tubeless plays its part in this. I see your point though, if I wasn't racing or looking to be particularly fast in sportives I probably wouldn't bother.
harringtonp is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2019, 19:53   #240
harringtonp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,792
See attached image guys showing the rim tape on the Carbonal wheel.

You see the valve hole but also where tape has gone black where spokes are. The tape came with the wheel so I am not sure what exactly is under it.

I suppose the question is is the tape a major factor in preventing air escape and if so are the areas where is has gone black likely to be a source of escape ?

If so, I'm wondering too did the sealant from the previous tyre play a part in preventing air escape.

If the tape is not a major factor then I reckon I am looking at the tyre seating but this never had me completely stuck before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190704_193202.jpg (153.6 KB, 18 views)
harringtonp is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet