Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

fatbhoy wrote: »
    But is your bike okay though? :pac:

First question the missus asked me (before she asked me to help her up) after she landed hard on her wrist/arm/ribs on the Byrner at the Gap the other week. I was so proud of her; a n00b no longer :pac:

On a serious note though, kudos to the lads at the Gap & Loughlinstown hospital for sorting her out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Lemming wrote: »
    First question the missus asked me (before she asked me to help her up) after she landed hard on her wrist/arm/ribs on the Byrner at the Gap the other week. I was so proud of her; a n00b no longer :pac:

On a serious note though, kudos to the lads at the Gap & Loughlinstown hospital for sorting her out.

There's a steady stream of business going from The Gap to Loughlinstown Hospital. It's the nature of what we do, I guess. That hospital has an awesome turnaround time for A&E type stuff like x-rays and breaks. I know where I'll be heading in future when the next bad crash happens me. A mate of mine was in and out within about an hour with an x-ray and stuff. Last break I had, a collar bone, took about 9+ hours in James Hospital A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

But is your bike okay though? :pac:

Fortunately yes as it was a rental! My knee and shoulder took most of it. I've seen people take all sorts of spills and bounce back but I take a spill on a blue trail and I'm out of order :(
    There's a steady stream of business going from The Gap to Loughlinstown Hospital. It's the nature of what we do, I guess. That hospital has an awesome turnaround time for A&E type stuff like x-rays and breaks. I know where I'll be heading in future when the next bad crash happens me. A mate of mine was in and out within about an hour with an x-ray and stuff. Last break I had, a collar bone, took about 9+ hours in James Hospital A&E.

Good to know. VHI is members only now, went there when I separated my shoulder and was seen to before I even sat down in reception. Nice to know I won't need to sit in Tallaght hospital for 8-10 hours listening to all the locals threatening staff!

I was well impressed with the turn-around for the minor injuries unit; although it should be emphasised that it's just that; "minor injuries". Someone rocking up with something a bit more serious will be redirected asap so Loughlinstown isn't a one-stop shop alas. The doctor commented to the effect that the mountain bikers are keeping them in business. I was expecting several hours (days?) of waiting a la your typical A&E, so to be in and seen within 5 minutes and out in about an hour was quite impressive. Then again the place was really quiet when we turned up.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Fortunately yes as it was a rental! My knee and shoulder took most of it. I've seen people take all sorts of spills and bounce back but I take a spill on a blue trail and I'm out of order :(

Sometimes you just end up unlucky. Emphasises that you can't switch off on a trail. The missus crashed on a bit of trail she's done dozens of times before without a bother, but because she came off a berm harder with a view to keeping momentum in order to jump an upcoming roller/table the rear wheel kicked out; she saved it and then the rear kicked out again the other way in response to her having saved it and over she went. You would look at the spot she crashed on and think to yourself how could anyone manage to crash there.

I've crashed a few times at the Gap too; mostly harmless and you get straight back up and ride, but did get sucker-punched once on pro-line; happened so fast that the first thing I knew of anything being wrong was seeing the peak of my full-face helmet digging into the dirt and thinking "Sh1t! I'm on the ground! When did I end up on the ground?!". It happened that fast, and then the bike landed on top of me .... Still walked away though albeit slightly bruised; my knee-cap slammed into the one bit of dirt amidst the rocks & roots where I crashed. Never did figure out exactly what caught my front wheel. Lessons? Invest in knee-pads because you'll not always be so lucky, and never switch your attention off thinking "I got this; easy-peasy".

Edit: the above might seem a bit negative but it's not meant to be, nor should it deter you from getting out and enjoying your ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lemming wrote: »

And managed Metallica the next day? What a woman! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Was up Ticknock yesterday. Absokutely beautiful day for it. Trails all riding well. Looked for new trails, found one near where this pic was taken. Plenty of parents and kids on bikes which is great to see. One guy on an antique hardtail cannondale that looked like it was from the 90's. Dreamtrack riding well too, initial section bit more carved out from rain than it was. People walking on Dreamtrack too, it's really a terrible place to walk.

In this pic you can see the mighty sugarloaf and also the GAP on the right where the trees are felled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭prunudo

steamsey wrote: »
    Was up Ticknock yesterday. Absokutely beautiful day for it. Trails all riding well. Looked for new trails, found one near where this pic was taken. Plenty of parents and kids on bikes which is great to see. One guy on an antique hardtail cannondale that looked like it was from the 90's. Dreamtrack riding well too, initial section bit more carved out from rain than it was. People walking on Dreamtrack too, it's really a terrible place to walk.

In this pic you can see the mighty sugarloaf and also the GAP on the right where the trees are felled

Pics not showing for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

So following on from my thread on fueling out on the trail I set out in Ballyhoura Saturday morning for the blue. Nothing major to report, made it around in 4 hours/ 3.5 hours moving time. Both tech trails are running sweet and they've done lots of upkeep on the trails so its an ideal time to bring some novices along for a taste. I know I've criticized smooth gravel paths in the past but riding a hardtail its nice to give the body a rest in patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Good shout on that hospital in Loughlinstown lads, in and out in 2 hours. Unfortunately I left in a cast as the wrist is broken. Time to dust off the turbo trainer :(

Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

tried the s4 xc nps yesterday with a bit of coercing by a friend.......holy crap those guys are fit :D need to get my act together, and a new bike haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Good shout on that hospital in Loughlinstown lads, in and out in 2 hours. Unfortunately I left in a cast as the wrist is broken. Time to dust off the turbo trainer :(

Oh well!

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear that. 6 weeks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

People walking on Dreamtrack too, it's really a terrible place to walk.

In fairness walkers have priority on anything that is not an official trail. It's the quickest way for me to walk up the hill from home. Have never met a mountain biker on that trail so most people won't be expecting to come across any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

Picked up my new Santa Cruz Bronson on Saturday and headed out to djouce Sunday morning for the long awaited first spin. Well it didn't disappoint. I didn't waste much time on suspension tuning and enjoyed this amazing bike. I went for a custom build after I found a frame and fork deal, so it hasn't got the usual Santa cruz tax. Its billed as a trail bike but to me it's more enduro than any bike I've had before. I've been planning a new big bike purchase for years now, tried a lot of 29ers but didn't find them much fun. This bike will go through anything but can pop it off stuff as well. Ended up doing a few enduro stages and bits of xc as well..
    Cant wait to get back out on it.

Pic I though I had posted the other day

Gerry wrote: »
    Picked up my new Santa Cruz Bronson on Saturday and headed out to djouce Sunday morning for the long awaited first spin. Well it didn't disappoint. I didn't waste much time on suspension tuning and enjoyed this amazing bike. I went for a custom build after I found a frame and fork deal, so it hasn't got the usual Santa cruz tax. Its billed as a trail bike but to me it's more enduro than any bike I've had before. I've been planning a new big bike purchase for years now, tried a lot of 29ers but didn't find them much fun. This bike will go through anything but can pop it off stuff as well. Ended up doing a few enduro stages and bits of xc as well..
    Cant wait to get back out on it.

Nice - that's the next bike for me if I can afford it. Carbon or alu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

Carbon CC frame - yeah I found a nice deal so couldn't let it go :)
    I'd been spoiled with the lend of a very light 26" carbon bike for the past 1.5 years so I didn't want to go up in weight if I could avoid it. Delighted with the bike to be honest. Turns out that even when I thought I was going slower on it I was in fact going faster..

nak wrote: »
    In fairness walkers have priority on anything that is not an official trail. It's the quickest way for me to walk up the hill from home. Have never met a mountain biker on that trail so most people won't be expecting to come across any.

You're probably right but priority will be cold consolation if you meet someone, who's flying it, at the wrong spot on the dreamtrack,

You're probably right but priority will be cold consolation if you meet someone, who's flying it, at the wrong spot on the dreamtrack,

Which is exactly why we all need to be mindful of walkers when on unofficial trails.

• Advertisement

A few times in the past year in both Ticknock and Ballinastoe I've encountered walkers on the official trails. Few signs to remind them of the dangers of walking on bike trail wouldn't go amiss.

2 walkers of Asian descent up near the top of Euroskeptic last night in heavy mist / fog! :eek:

prunudo wrote: »
    A few times in the past year in both Ticknock and Ballinastoe I've encountered walkers on the official trails. Few signs to remind them of the dangers of walking on bike trail wouldn't go amiss.

New signs at Ticknock but I have met a few people walking on the trails too. Had a work colleague inform me that they walk on the official MTB trails in Ticknock so they don't get lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nak wrote:
    New signs at Ticknock but I have met a few people walking on the trails too. Had a work colleague inform me that they walk on the official MTB trails in Ticknock so they don't get lost!

At least they may also be able to navigate their way through our health system as well, eventually, everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

You meet the odd bunch in ballyhoura from time to time. I've even met large groups walking the trials right next to the trail center, families out having picnics near where the final decent starts. Everything is signposted well so no excuses to be on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dreamtrack isn't an official DH/MTB only trail, so shouldn't be treated as such.

If someone on a bike is going so fast they can't stop or see what's coming around the corner and hit anyone walking on the trail then they'll be liable for damages etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Coillte have placed signs around entrances to their trails, some people will still walk on those trails anyways...

Main thing is be courteous, nod, or say hello and if they are in a dangerous part of the trail remind them to be extremely careful as they are on an official MTB trail...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Coillte have placed signs around entrances to their trails, some people will still walk on those trails anyways...

Main thing is be courteous, nod, or say hello and if they are in a dangerous part of the trail remind them to be extremely careful as they are on an official MTB trail...

Even though they're in the wrong place I'd still be courteous, shouting abuse at them will get you nowhere. Besides it usually happens so quick you don't have time to get into a full blown conversation, usually a case of 'oh watch out, a couple more following or I'm the last'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Cycled part of the wicklow way last sunday with a small group, great spin but tough going. We started in Glencullen and went as far as Glenmalure. Pint in glenmalure lodge never tasted so good! Stuck to wicklow way and did some trails along the way, worth doing if anyone is interested, last climb out of glendalough to glenmalure is a killer tho, got caught in torrential rain at that point which didn't help with the boardwalks and going down miners!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2475152040

Thats good going, I'd be happy with those stats, 350m of climbing per hour is tough going on a mountain bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Thats good going, I'd be happy with those stats, 350m of climbing per hour is tough going on a mountain bike.

thanks, yeah not bad considering we had a group of 7 and a couple of mechanical's along the way. takes a bit of organizing with cars at both ends, next time might stay in glenmalure lodge and cycle back.

• Advertisement

Met you in the overflow carpark in Johnnie Fox's

We started off similar but did a loop taking in trails in both Knockree & Crone

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/?%24identity_id=410358736847317452&channel=android&feature=activity_share&type=0&duration=0&source=android&data=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%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%3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm gone away camping for the weekend and I took the bike. Went for an evening spin up in the back of the Galtee's. Coming down the hill on a track covered with loose 3" rough crushed stone (most definitely NOT rounded stone) I heard the unmistakable sound of air escaping. I thought "That's odd, I'm tubeless so why do I hear air escaping?"

After stopping, I figured out why I heard the air, I managed to rip a decent hole in the sidewall of the rear tyre. That's annoying as I was about 8km from the campsite. I did have one spare tube with me so I had some way of getting home. Inserted the tube and took it easy for the rest of the journey.

The kicker is that it's a new enough tyre that's now gone and I've no more spare tubes with me! This means I won't be going for any major cycles (as I won't risk having to walk MILES back pushing the bike).

Ah well, looks like I'm going hillwalking tomorrow instead!

Note to self, carry more spare tubes in the camper in future!

Thats a pain in the ass, at least you had a spare tube to limp home. Was out last weekend and we bumped into another 2 lads but one of them had a similar issue, ripped side wall and had to put in a spare tube. Do the tubeless tyres give trouble with weaker side walls or is it coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thats a pain in the ass, at least you had a spare tube to limp home. Was out last weekend and we bumped into another 2 lads but one of them had a similar issue, ripped side wall and had to put in a spare tube. Do the tubeless tyres give trouble with weaker side walls or is it coincidence?

There's different casings for different types of riding. More than likely they've gone for a lightweight casing tyre more appropriate for trail riding or xc and then hit harder trails with exposed rocks etc.

I've slit one tyre myself but there's not a chance I'd go back to tubes.

Being running tubeless for a few years now and have never torn a sidewall or the p word on the MTB - hopefully haven't jinxed myself now. Old tooth paste tube makes a good tyre boot apparently; carry one with me just in case.

rizzodun wrote: »
    There's different casings for different types of riding. More than likely they've gone for a lightweight casing tyre more appropriate for trail riding or xc and then hit harder trails with exposed rocks etc.

Ya, it was a Bontrager XR3 Team Issue tyre at approx 20psi that went bye-bye. I had it on as I prefer the exploring new trails rather than setting segment times on the same piece of ground. So, I went for the XR3 (as it has a bit of bite) as a lot of the stuff I go over not a whole pile of bikes use it (I've often gone on a 30km loop with no Strava segments on it) and would be fairly overgrown, muddy etc.

I took another look at the tyre. The rock ripped a few of the blocks on the tyre. There is one JUST hanging on
    Oh I'm not going back to tubes at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I"ve never gone tubeless; what is the advantage over tubed tyres?

cjt156 wrote: »

Few little things but main things are fewer punctures and can run at lower psi than tubed. I would 100% recommend tubeless for anyone who hasn't tried it. Cheap and you can do it yourself.

it can be an awful pain the hole to setup at times though, my bikes are all mixed between tubed and tubeless dependant on whether a tyre sets up easy or not, if not tube goes in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

it can be an awful pain the hole to setup at times though, my bikes are all mixed between tubed and tubeless dependant on whether a tyre sets up easy or not, if not tube goes in :D

Tip:
    If you can use schrader valves (car type) then use those, otherwise get a presta to schrader adapter, then use a garage tyre pump, those older ones with the trigger, as opposed to the machines you preset the pressure with.

Seat the tyre without any sealant first using the pump, then pop a section and drop in the sealant. I've set up countless tyres and wheels this way, I've done it with a track pump too, but no way as effective.

Luckily I live just across the road from a filling station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

cjt156 wrote: »

Lower pressure for more grip with no pinch flats, less rolling resistance .

Oh, and minor puncture protection .

Tip:
    If you can use schrader valves (car type) then use those, otherwise get a presta to schrader adapter, then use a garage tyre pump, those older ones with the trigger, as opposed to the machines you preset the pressure with.

Seat the tyre without any sealant first using the pump, then pop a section and drop in the sealant. I've set up countless tyres and wheels this way, I've done it with a track pump too, but no way as effective.

Luckily I live just across the road from a filling station!

I use presta valves but I have used air compressors at petrol stations by removing the valve cores in the past to success. Unfortunately I can't find the older style types which would definitely be better. I've a used rock razor at the moment that sits too loose on the rim and is impossible to get to inflate onto the beads, air just escapes because it's loose. Tube time.

I also put a brand new hillbilly on my enduro bike, super tight fitting, took forever to get on, pumped up super easy even with a track pump, but not all the bead would set perfectly. The second I'd pump it to over 30psi it would explode off the rim....fun stuff, now I'm getting PTSD anytime I pump any tyre haha....is it going to blow and leave me dead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Spin after work to set the head straight before bed .
    Local looped walk but good fire road to start then a bit of Tech to go down.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/2491742112/embed/5e23ba39a8faf2780349638d2e8965f2b4ab289c'></iframe&gt;

First time out on a long ride in quite a while for myself; good weekend's weather for it too although mercifully wasn't as hot as yesterday here in Sheffield. Went out on a group ride through a local facebook group

Strava here. I'll post pictures on the picture thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭covey123

Went off to try out the Hospital Run in the Ballyhouras for the first time this evening,took the semi fat 29 hardtail as was a bit of a haul on fireroads to get there,so was taking it handy on the decent,but not a bad trail at all.
    Needs a bit of cutting back in a few spots but still rideable for the entire length.
    Nice and dry the whole way down except for the end where it got a bit sloppy,but I may have taken the wrong exit

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

covey123 wrote: »
    Went off to try out the Hospital Run in the Ballyhouras for the first time this evening,took the semi fat 29 hardtail as was a bit of a haul on fireroads to get there,so was taking it handy on the decent,but not a bad trail at all.
    Needs a bit of cutting back in a few spots but still rideable for the entire length.
    Nice and dry the whole way down except for the end where it got a bit sloppy,but I may have taken the wrong exit

There's a left about 50m before the very end which will get you around most of that slop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭covey123

Biopace wrote: »

There's a left about 50m before the very end which will get you around most of that slop.

Cheers for that,saw another trail coming down from the left at the point where you take the right at the end of the initial steep rocky section, looked a bit overgrown,but any idea if it's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

covey123 wrote: »
    Cheers for that,saw another trail coming down from the left at the point where you take the right at the end of the initial steep rocky section, looked a bit overgrown,but any idea if it's any good?

It isn't great to be honest, very overgrown, and nowhere near as fast as the rocky bit.

Did about 45Km today, half on gravel. I had about 3km of hike the bike as it was on a hiking trail that had "paths" up a mountain that were not really there. It was one of my goals for the year to do this path mind you so happy out.

I'm not saying where as officially, no bikes were allowed. I met plenty of hillwalkers. I stopped for all of them, gave way to them and said hello. Most were friendly and said I was mad to bring a bike up there. I got talking to some road cyclists on the way down. Some couldn't believe the route I took......

PS, if you want to visualise how bad the "path" was, at a few points, I had to lift the bike up almost 0.75m, place on a rock ledge and scramble up after it. Now, do that again for 45 minutes!

Edit - the descent was fair hair raising as well, due to the deep drains (1foot x 1foot across the path)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ianobrien wrote: »
    Did about 45Km today, half on gravel. I had about 3km of hike the bike as it was on a hiking trail that had "paths" up a mountain that were not really there. It was one of my goals for the year to do this path mind you so happy out.

I'm not saying where as officially, no bikes were allowed. I met plenty of hillwalkers. I stopped for all of them, gave way to them and said hello. Most were friendly and said I was mad to bring a bike up there. I got talking to some road cyclists on the way down. Some couldn't believe the route I took......

PS, if you want to visualise how bad the "path" was, at a few points, I had to lift the bike up almost 0.75m, place on a rock ledge and scramble up after it. Now, do that again for 45 minutes!

Edit - the descent was fair hair raising as well, due to the deep drains (1foot x 1foot across the path)

The lads down in Tralee or MBCC are into that king of stuff, I think they were only up carrauntoohill recently the mad feckers. :D

Those wiley kerry lads :D

Advertisement