Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any iRacing folks?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rossi

you coming on now to do some practice with me and squid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

****e, Just read this now as i'm settling down to watch a recording of the Indy 500, sorry, maybe tomorrow?

****e, Just read this now as i'm settling down to watch a recording of the Indy 500, sorry, maybe tomorrow?

ye ill be on,,,, we did a lot of different practice sessions,,,star mazda on mid ohio was my favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Just did a race round Limerock in the mazda roadster. Started in 8th I think, was one of my most consistent races and only had a off track x1 twice...up until lap 19/20. I had got up into 2nd place and was only a second or so off the leader. Coming round the last bend it's a simple lift off, throw the car in and handle your throttle nicely. Something I have perfected as I know you can gain quite a bit of time if you do it nicely leading up to the start/finish. But for the first time ever in the game, I ran ever so slightly wide, my rear left tire was on the grass and as it regained traction on the tarmac an enormous snake begins to form and I lose it into the barrier. Knackered my steering but still brought it home for 4th. Was well gutted though as it was going to be my best finish :(
    I've noticed it's alot easier to knock your safety rating down than to get it up lol. Unfortunately mine is around 2.28 and what is most annoying is that 99% of the situations are caused by the other drivers, not me :mad:
    bradleyskidmore@eircom.net if anyone wants to add me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Brad768 wrote: »
    Just did a race round Limerock in the mazda roadster. Started in 8th I think, was one of my most consistent races and only had a off track x1 twice...up until lap 19/20. I had got up into 2nd place and was only a second or so off the leader. Coming round the last bend it's a simple lift off, throw the car in and handle your throttle nicely. Something I have perfected as I know you can gain quite a bit of time if you do it nicely leading up to the start/finish. But for the first time ever in the game, I ran ever so slightly wide, my rear left tire was on the grass and as it regained traction on the tarmac an enormous snake begins to form and I lose it into the barrier. Knackered my steering but still brought it home for 4th. Was well gutted though as it was going to be my best finish :(
    I've noticed it's alot easier to knock your safety rating down than to get it up lol. Unfortunately mine is around 2.28 and what is most annoying is that 99% of the situations are caused by the other drivers, not me :mad:
    bradleyskidmore@eircom.net if anyone wants to add me :)

Hay Brad i'm Barryburke2 just search for me in the iracing search bar and add me

• Advertisement

ok so, bought my first add on content today, I'm certainly not loaded with all of lifes necessities to pay for..

I'm a D-class holder and moneys tight, so all those Rileys and Williams F1 cars will have to wait a while, Im strictly in it to advance licences at the moment..

So I bought the Mustang, Skippy, Mid-Ohio and the 2007 version of Daytona 'cos its about 4 Euro and I love that track from watching Grand-Am on Motors TV :)

Tried the 'Stang first, nice and slidey, real progressive though, nice safe understeer with a little oversteer if you put the boot in!

The skippy? Well first impression wasn't that great, 3 snap oversteer spins on the first lap! ha ha ha and touched a barrier with the nose. Feck it! says I, im not quittin' to the pits, and off I go...

Did about 8 or 9 laps of Lime Rock park and I dont think I could have got a better workout down the Gym :eek:

Oversteer,Understeer,Oversteer, Understeer, sawing away on the wheel like a madman on every corner..

It was bloody fun though, you can actually catch big slides in it! Finally spun out on my 10th lap and in the replay I had no nose, I'd lost it on my first lap!

Will be getting about 8 tracks for Fathers day from My 2 girls next month to feed my addiction further..

My wife will surely never see me again ha ha!

ok so, bought my first add on content today, I'm certainly not loaded with all of lifes necessities to pay for..

I'm a D-class holder and moneys tight, so all those Rileys and Williams F1 cars will have to wait a while, Im strictly in it to advance licences at the moment..

So I bought the Mustang, Skippy, Mid-Ohio and the 2007 version of Daytona 'cos its about 4 Euro and I love that track from watching Grand-Am on Motors TV :)

Tried the 'Stang first, nice and slidey, real progressive though, nice safe understeer with a little oversteer if you put the boot in!

The skippy? Well first impression wasn't that great, 3 snap oversteer spins on the first lap! ha ha ha and touched a barrier with the nose. Feck it! says I, im not quittin' to the pits, and off I go...

Did about 8 or 9 laps of Lime Rock park and I dont think I could have got a better workout down the Gym :eek:

Oversteer,Understeer,Oversteer, Understeer, sawing away on the wheel like a madman on every corner..

It was bloody fun though, you can actually catch big slides in it! Finally spun out on my 10th lap and in the replay I had no nose, I'd lost it on my first lap!

Will be getting about 8 tracks for Fathers day from My 2 girls next month to feed my addiction further..

My wife will surely never see me again ha ha!

star mazda and lotis 79 are great,,, what tracks you thinking of getting

The rest of the ones from the Skippy series, Watkins, Brands, Oulton, Suzuka, Road Atlanta, Mosport and Zandvoort.

That should mean when I'm doing the Mustang series too, I shouldnt have to buy that many more tracks :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Good stuff lads on keeping up the Irish contingent.
    I see you lads are addicted :)
    I spent over €400 on content over the years on iracing.
    The worst thing is i no longer subscribe and it feels like a waste of money right now but man did i get some hours fun out of it.
    Im proud to say i was one of the very first 150 people to beta test iracing,i was simply blown away.
    I remember one night we were asked to join 5 or 6 different servers to test things this side of the water,some guy called John Henry joined the server and greeted everyone personally.
    I only knew him as as the financial clout behind what will be known as iracing.
    I wasnt aware he owned Boston Red Sox and a couple of Nascar teams,being a Liverpool fan i also wasnt aware he would later own LFC too :eek:

He genuinely seemed a nice guy and was passionate about iracing.

Anyways its good to see you lads flying the Irish flag, i miss iracing at times but i simply dont have the time needed to get anywhere near as competitive as i used to be [which wasnt very fast either tbh lol]

irish-flag.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

UGH worst, race, ever....
    [RANT]Okayama once again. In 8th place and get an ok start off the line, guy in front gets an average start and I am making the decision whether to take him or wait. I take him comfortably but apparently this guy has the vision of a bat and takes me and several others with him out on first corner (around 4/5 of us). So I thought
    It's ok, I'm fairly consistent compared to the average racer around this track, I should gain a place or two.
    Which I do. Around lap 18 I'm now in 4th and the guy behind me is getting REALLY close to my rear end on every corner. I knew this was trouble, I was considering just letting him past so I could get away from the fecker. Soon or later the time comes and takes me out on first corner with some phenomenal overtaking skills. Where of course I spin, and he stays going in a straight line. Which means the guy from the start who must be playing a good 20 yards away from his monitor is behind me. This will go well....
    I recover and attempt to take the 2nd and 3rd corner (the 2 right hand bends) but of course, I now learn this guy has the reactions of a turtle and slams (not just a tap, an actual full on collision) into the back of me causing me to go onto the escape road beside the cones and nearly hitting the barrier as I spin uncontrollably. Which to finish me off, causes a puncture so I have to retire.
    Oh boy o boy, cant I wait to see my safety rating after this bs:mad: Just got the fecking thing up to 2.87 as well, thinking I would finally get it up to 3 in either this "clean" race or the next one.[/RANT]

UGH worst, race, ever....
    [RANT]Okayama once again. In 8th place and get an ok start off the line, guy in front gets an average start and I am making the decision whether to take him or wait. I take him comfortably but apparently this guy has the vision of a bat and takes me and several others with him out on first corner (around 4/5 of us). So I thought
    It's ok, I'm fairly consistent compared to the average racer around this track, I should gain a place or two.
    Which I do. Around lap 18 I'm now in 4th and the guy behind me is getting REALLY close to my rear end on every corner. I knew this was trouble, I was considering just letting him past so I could get away from the fecker. Soon or later the time comes and takes me out on first corner with some phenomenal overtaking skills. Where of course I spin, and he stays going in a straight line. Which means the guy from the start who must be playing a good 20 yards away from his monitor is behind me. This will go well....
    I recover and attempt to take the 2nd and 3rd corner (the 2 right hand bends) but of course, I now learn this guy has the reactions of a turtle and slams (not just a tap, an actual full on collision) into the back of me causing me to go onto the escape road beside the cones and nearly hitting the barrier as I spin uncontrollably. Which to finish me off, causes a puncture so I have to retire.
    Oh boy o boy, cant I wait to see my safety rating after this bs:mad: Just got the fecking thing up to 2.87 as well, thinking I would finally get it up to 3 in either this "clean" race or the next one.[/RANT]

Ah... Thats Bad...

I couldnt get online last night, the servers were down for maintenance..

What time where you racing last night?

I ended up sticking on Rfactor 1, Enduracers mod, Mid-Ohio.

Bloody iRacing has spoiled other sims for me..

I couldnt "feel" the road in rFactor anymore, ending up in a few spins..

and there are a few inconsistancies in the track, guess thats what you get when its not Laser Scanned..:D

Ah... Thats Bad...

I ended up sticking on Rfactor 1, Enduracers mod, Mid-Ohio.

and there are a few inconsistancies in the track, guess thats what you get when its not Laser Scanned..:D

Checkout Game Stock car, easily the best sim ive played since iracing,netkar etc.
    Costs a fraction of the cost of iracing plus i like to slug it out with AI drivers these days.
    It suits my now casual approach to simracing [ie : when i sub to iracing i have to put time into it - a lot of time] .
    With GSC i get a top notch sim i can pop onto every so often, some good leagues running it too over on race department.

Ah... Thats Bad...

I ended up sticking on Rfactor 1, Enduracers mod, Mid-Ohio

I think it was 8:00pm. I tried playing rFactor earlier in the day and couldn't lol. Was in the caterham mod and was going off on every corner, I don't remember there being that much under steer :/

Well that Caddy really is a train to slow down compared to my Mazda :P Was just trying it for the first time on Laguna and managed a 1:30.5. I didn't really have a racing line in mind it was just whenever the thing would slow down and turn inches before going off lol

First victory today around Laguna Seca in the multiclass race. I was in the mx5 and spun out twice and still managed first...just... not sure if you will be able to see this link http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=5812534&custid=94919

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Only recently got a wheel for the xbox (also pc compatible) and absolutely love it for F1 2011. Been considering getting a sim for the PC to try that out too.

No free trial for iracing that i saw, but there is for rFactor. How do the two compare?
    Only $12 for a 1 month go of iracing mind you (although need to double check my pc can handle it). Worth a shot?

Rfactor vs iracing is like trying to debate ps3 vs xbox. It's a huge debate in the sim world but personally, I prefer iracing although it is rather expensive starting out. But once you get past that you only pay for subscription and not tracks or cars. That is of course if you want to go all the way and level up through the different series. Or you may be perfectly happy staying in the starting mx5 series. Thing about iracing is that there is no set path, it is up to you what you want to do. InsidesimracingTV are doing an offer at the moment with 3 months for the price of 1 + an extra track (Watkins Glen) + an extra car (Riley Daytona Prototype) for free :) wish I took advantage of the offer lol
    When you sign up (http://www.iracing.com/membership/) just enter the code:
    PR-ISRWatkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Sweet, cheers for the code! Might be worth trying out both iracing and rfactor then to see which one i prefer and/or if i can find the time to put into them to make it worthwhile

iracing is the ultimate in simracing, you simply pay for the quality you get.
    rfactor on the other hand is also a fine sim and a lot more casual friendly and inexpensive.
    However you will have to download mods to get the best out of rfactor, out of the box its like a beta with limited tracks and fantasy car series, pnce you put the effort in its great and light years ahead of F12011 ,trust me that is not a pure sim at all.

Jumping from F1 2011 to iracing or indeed any PC based sim will be a shock to your system,rfactor takes a lot of effort to get it to do what you want but when you do it has no limit to the amount of tracks and cars available.

My advice would be Game stock car,it used a highly tuned rfactor engine which is a much better experience imo and it wont cost you anywhere near as much as iracing.
    If you then enjoy it then maybe take the next step, if you have the time to put in ofcourse :)

Check out this thread about GSC, some info and vids linked

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457624

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

Really interested in starting this. I'm on the hunt for a computer and need to know what spec it has to be to play iracing?

marco2068 wrote: »
    Really interested in starting this. I'm on the hunt for a computer and need to know what spec it has to be to play iracing?
    it depend on what your looking for. If your looking to run it with all graphic's on and decent fps then you will need a good system. but it can be run on old systems without problems

http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

iRacing are doing a 50% off deal for new members too. They usually do an annual black friday deal for yearly membership, $49 or so.

Well signed up for a year, I always missed the Black Friday deals, looking forward to a years good racing :)

**Edit**

This Deal is for existing Subscribers also, you dont need to be new, or have let your subscription laps....So fill yer boots boys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Ya gotta love the skippys!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

They are great cars to race alright! Everyone should check out the UK&I skippy league running on monday nights. It's super competitive for all levels of talent, and super fun. Ran it last season and it was some of the best racing I've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Rfactor vs iracing is like trying to debate ps3 vs xbox.

Just spotted this today...
    Yes, it is like comparing a PS3 and an (original) Xbox. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy RFactor and a lot of the mods that some with it, but iRacing in terms of immersion and reailsm iRacing is way, way ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Just spotted this today...
    Yes, it is like comparing a PS3 and an (original) Xbox. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy RFactor and a lot of the mods that some with it, but iRacing in terms of immersion and reailsm iRacing is way, way ahead.

Is a mic necessary? I.e is there much chat among the players during a race?

• Advertisement

Donne wrote: »
    Is a mic necessary? I.e is there much chat among the players during a race?

I run only in the oval series and it gets used a good bit, i bought a headset for 20 quid and it works fine, i only use it when there is noone home.

otherwise i use the keyboard.

Lots of chit chat, at entry level it can get a bit blue sometimes but as you move up levels and go into the hosted sessions guys self moderate and its really good fun.

I'm glad i joined. running a logitech G27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

So i decided to give an iRacing season a proper go for the first time and settled on the caddy, what a fantastic car to drive loving every session i drive once i get a setup that works, it took me a few days to learn the Mid-Ohio circuit and to get a set up where i could start trusting the rear end on corner entry but with thanks to one of the guys on the Caddy forum who mentioned the 4 clutch plates and 20 deg coast ramp angle which totally transformed the car for me, i'm now getting decent enough laptimes.

Grim. wrote: »
    So i decided to give an iRacing season a proper go for the first time and settled on the caddy, what a fantastic car to drive loving every session i drive once i get a setup that works, it took me a few days to learn the Mid-Ohio circuit and to get a set up where i could start trusting the rear end on corner entry but with thanks to one of the guys on the Caddy forum who mentioned the 4 clutch plates and 20 coast which totally transformed the car for me, i'm now getting decent enough laptimes.

Thanks for the tip I've been having trouble with the rear end in this car. I'll give them settings a go

struggled badly with the rears around sonoma this week in the caddy even with short shifting out of the hairpins and a few other corners i was still overheating them by about 3/4 distance in the race leaving me with no grip, badly need to learn to set cars up rather than relying on other peoples sets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

@Grim: I am so much the same there. Well maybe even worse, I have no idea about setups. I of course can feel the difference between setups but other then that I have no idea.

My name on iRacing is "Kenneth McCullough2", lets all add each other and have some nice racing =)

• Advertisement

make sure you come by the uk and irl forum. I only race ovals at the moment but everyone seems pretty helpful on the forum. Plus there's more worldcup qualifers on next month so keep an eye on that.

so i decided to skip oran park as i don't own it and it looks a bit of a nightmare tbh, looking forward to giving motegi a go

my iRacing has just expired,, i wasnt realy getting the use out of it really,

i just hope all the cars/tracks i bought are still there whenever i return

the thing that put me off it really was just the cost of all the tracks/cars with so many i would like to buy i just couldnt renew without the temptation to buy more cars/tracks

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    my iRacing has just expired,, i wasnt realy getting the use out of it really,

i just hope all the cars/tracks i bought are still there whenever i return

the thing that put me off it really was just the cost of all the tracks/cars with so many i would like to buy i just couldnt renew without the temptation to buy more cars/tracks

Yes all your content will be there forever,just not sure what use it will be to you.
    The problem is they are constantly changing the seasons/series lineups and adding in new tracks etc,mixing and matching to get the most money out of you.

For example, 2 yars ago i bought everything available, i was really into the sim,i ran in 4 series.
    Everything i had back then was enough to run these series, it was brilliant fun.
    Within months every series i took part in and indeed the others i didnt had radically changed the track lineup, i had to buy more tracks if i wanted to compete.

The net result of this plus the incredible amount of time i had to put in to be competitive was just way too much and i quit playing.

Yeah ive dipped my toes in a few times since but even still, if i wanted to go back to run the very basic series id have to fork out for 3-4 tracks minimum.
    Its their business model,the quality is there, its the age old saying thats in effect here, "you pay for what you get".

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Some great private leagues running alongside the main series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Anyone Still on iRacing? Have only met one other Irish guy on it last few months.

Advertisement