Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any iRacing folks?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Squidwert wrote: »
    YES that would be me and don't forget to look at the new pedals i made ;)
    http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=2178.0
    My playseat was sold this week I'm in the middle of building a new rig. The screen is the same but will fit rig better.

Impressive work there Squidwert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

When I see Squidwerts job on those pedals, I find it quite intimidating! I know there is no chance I will be able to do something like that without the most comphrehensive of instruction manuals.

I love that website though, some of the cockpits are inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

WOW those pedals look amazing. Had dealings with Todd before, hes a great bloke. Would love to have the skill to be able to do that.

I must take some pics of my cockpit and post them up here and on Tysmyster's site.

Just have to clean the room its in.....lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

I'm finishing my new rig. just got the wiring to do. I'll post some pic's when its done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm finishing my new rig. just got the wiring to do. I'll post some pic's when its done
    How are you achieving the curved screen with the projector? I have a projector my self so would love to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Do any of you play RFactor 2? Just wondered how it compares to iracing. What annoys me about iracing, is not the subscription, that keeps most wreckers out, but the fact you have to keep buying tracks and cars etc. Quite pathetic and very poor value for money. There doesnt even seem to be a way to try the cars out before purchasing them, so how are you going to know if you like the cars or not?

ScumLord wrote: »
    How are you achieving the curved screen with the projector? I have a projector my self so would love to know.

very easy to make you can get white board from woodies 4x4 foot for about €12
    http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=2181.0
    if you need more pic's i can send you some

And djrichard the price for the tracks i think is fair, its costs a lot of money to get the license and time to get an accurate lazer scan of a track. but all the cars are fun to drive. I'll not be getting rfactor2 yet i don't think i would play it till there is more content and then it will only be for fun.

very easy to make you can get white board from woodies 4x4 foot for about €12
    http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=2181.0
    if you need more pic's i can send you some
    It's a lot more compact than I thought it would be too. The other set up I seen was 3 from the back, so it more or less took up an entire room.

Would that be about as curved as you could get with one projector? There pretty much no chance of me being able to afford a second projector if it has to be the same as the one I already have.

I don't think you can curve much more than what i have at the moment. the tilting of the screen helps a lot also the screen is a bit wider at the bottom but you don't notice when. I have some software (immersive design lite2 €50)that warps the image from a projector so you can make the screen look perfect but i've not set it up yet. It also lets you add and match projector images together for a bigger screen (;)for when you get the other projector)
    New pic's posted at the bottom of the page on the above link

• Advertisement

Got an email from iracing offering me 3 months for $9.
    Epic bargain tbh,time to dust off the G25.
    To think i spent about €300 on content in 09 :eek:
    God knows when ill get time to play but its too good to resist.

Anyone know if any of the class A or B series offer shorter races than they used to?
    I have a serious longterm leg injury and it gets very painful after about 20 mins racing.
    Quite a few races ive pulled out of with pain so id love to be able to race the A and B cars in shorter races.

Great that your back, still getting to grips with the cars and tracks, its difficult to find the time to be honest, I can only "Test" for so long before I have to man up and face my first Race ha ha ha...

Ok, so I did my first race last night at 10...

Decided to go on and do a bit of testing with no intention of racing yet.

Jumped into the MX-5 and the Lime-rock Circuit (I know this track best) had some great fun trying out he new build and really gained some confidence..

So i pop out of testing and click race for the laugh.. Want to see whats going on..

Up pops the very circuit and car I was testing....What the hell says I..Ill have some of that.

Joined a practice session and lapped for about 20 mins till finish of the session.

eyeing the clock now..9.51pm... No time to Qualify...Lets register for the race!

Started last of course...11th place.

Race starts and I says to meself, easy now, bound to be a collision in first corner, and there was of course.

My Policy was, 1) Keep out of trouble. 2) run as consistant laptimes as possible without pushing hard and going off. 3) ENJOY MYSELF!

I had a ball! Heart pounding as I tried to be as consistant as possible..

Ended up Third at the finish with a fastest laptime of 1m.1.170 about a second slower than the fastest guys in the race but as I said I wanted to stay on the track.

Had one little woopsie when I changed from 4th to 3rd and didnt blip the throttle correctly, had a little half spin and onto the grass..

Overall a great experience and looking forward to improving and learning further!

Clive,.

Ok, so I did my first race last night at 10...

Decided to go on and do a bit of testing with no intention of racing yet.

Jumped into the MX-5 and the Lime-rock Circuit (I know this track best) had some great fun trying out he new build and really gained some confidence..

So i pop out of testing and click race for the laugh.. Want to see whats going on..

Up pops the very circuit and car I was testing....What the hell says I..Ill have some of that.

Joined a practice session and lapped for about 20 mins till finish of the session.

eyeing the clock now..9.51pm... No time to Qualify...Lets register for the race!

Started last of course...11th place.

Race starts and I says to meself, easy now, bound to be a collision in first corner, and there was of course.

My Policy was, 1) Keep out of trouble. 2) run as consistant laptimes as possible without pushing hard and going off. 3) ENJOY MYSELF!

I had a ball! Heart pounding as I tried to be as consistant as possible..

Ended up Third at the finish with a fastest laptime of 1m.1.170 about a second slower than the fastest guys in the race but as I said I wanted to stay on the track.

Had one little woopsie when I changed from 4th to 3rd and didnt blip the throttle correctly, had a little half spin and onto the grass..

Overall a great experience and looking forward to improving and learning further!

Clive,.

well done!.
    Ah i remember my first race well,
    Most races i won was mostly down to being consistant.
    Nothing like iracing to make you nervous :D

What Op system do you use Clive win7 vista or xp. i have something that would go well with your F1 wheel.

windows 7.

• Advertisement

It's not going to work so. i have an old Leo Bodnar board for adding buttons an switches. Would only work with vista or xp

Ah nevermind, thanks a million for thinking of me anyway,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Hi all, been looking at iRacing for years. Tried the beta for about a day and never got back into it for some reason. But just got my sub today, man is this sim huge. So much info it gets a bit overwhelming.

Rig setup and everything ready and I am just staring at the screen hehe. Will say what I thought when I have given it some laps =)

@Squidwert: Just took a look at your pedal build and I have to say, very very very nice. Where did you find all the parts needed? e.g. springs, load cell? (that is a load cell right?). Would love to make my own set.

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Hi all, been looking at iRacing for years. Tried the beta for about a day and never got back into it for some reason. But just got my sub today, man is this sim huge. So much info it gets a bit overwhelming.

Rig setup and everything ready and I am just staring at the screen hehe. Will say what I thought when I have given it some laps =)

@Squidwert: Just took a look at your pedal build and I have to say, very very very nice. Where did you find all the parts needed? e.g. springs, load cell? (that is a load cell right?). Would love to make my own set.

I say get the CST diy pedal plans that will tell you where to get most of the important bits Springs and loadcell and stuff(i have a loadsell to sell if you want it) then just plan what type of set you want to make. I got my springs and loadcell from the buy and sell tread in the racedepartment forum. if your making them like mine i'll help with advice if needed.

And Clive shame your F1 wheel would look great with some buttons and nobs on it

I gave iRacing a go yesteryday (just testing) and I have to say that it does feel a lot better then I thought it would. Watched all the "driving school" clips, some good info in there.

@Squidwert: I would really really like to have that extra loadcell even if I have no idea how much they cost hehe. You can send me the details over a PM if you want. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Best sim out there.
    Personally while i resubbed recently I just dont have the time to put into it to get anywhere near as quick as i used to be.
    Ill more than likely not be resubbing after my time runs out, its not iracings fault, its the best sim out there it just requires so much time and dedication.

I normally get to go online at about 8 and play till about 10 every night,have to say though that's after working till 5.30, driving home for an hour, having dinner with the family, kids go to bed at 8 so I jump on iRacing, go to bed a little after 10 watch telly for an hour in bed and wake up knackered at 6.30 the next morning to do it all again :)

It definitely takes dedication, but its fun at the moment so its not too hard.

_HULK_SMASH!.... that is the way I was thinking of driving as well. I really want to get into sim racing more and I want to dedicate time to it. I just have not found the sim I want to get into hehe. I used to be part of a racing team in LFS and that was sooo much fun. But that was 3 years ago and I just dont get the same feel for LFS anymore.

Do the "irish drivers" ever get together and have a race night? That would be a cool thing todo. Or even have a lan weekend, but nowa days when one is getting older it is not that nice to sleep on the floor anymore (it hurts hehe).

_HULK_SMASH!.... that is the way I was thinking of driving as well. I really want to get into sim racing more and I want to dedicate time to it. I just have not found the sim I want to get into hehe. I used to be part of a racing team in LFS and that was sooo much fun. But that was 3 years ago and I just dont get the same feel for LFS anymore.

Do the "irish drivers" ever get together and have a race night? That would be a cool thing todo. Or even have a lan weekend, but nowa days when one is getting older it is not that nice to sleep on the floor anymore (it hurts hehe).

I dunno, i'm not here that long to be honest. I think the "Irish Racing Community" consists of You, Me, Dcully and Squidwert!!!!! ha ha ha..PMSL.

In all honesty I know some lads that play console arcade racers with game pads and thats all well and good but admitting to people face to face that I was a sim racer gave me an uneasy feeling that they would look at me like one of those lads off "The Big Bang Theory"! lol

I just hope there are more out there that can register on boards and come out of the closet....er...like we have....sim wise....:D

Heheh I think I am one of those boys from "The Big Bang Theory" but without the brains they have maybe (and I hate MMORPG). All the star trek, comic and other nerd references I have to sit and explain to my wife, that is when it hits me every time.... I know all the references and I laugh at them hehehe... im a nerd =)

Same here, I know loads of console racers (I play some GT5 now and then) but most of them that have tried any type of sim over at my place agree that PC racing is the way to go.

I would love to see if we could have one night a week where we had Irish Race Night. Sound like something you guys would like to do?

Yeah, sure sounds good to me, we have to get more though...

Hehe and sorry to say it _HULK_SMASH! but looking at your nick, I would say you are one of "those" nerd boys as well.

Yes the iracing irish meet up for a kart race in the summer out by drogheda at Whiteriver kart track. Great track nice karts if we get enough which we should this year we can get a tournament going. Say hello in the iracing Celtic forum c0rn3y and i'll add you as a friend.

http://www.whiteriver.ie/

I will get into the Celtic forum today as soon as I get home from work. iRacing.com is blocked from work (maybe a good thing hehe).

Now that would be a cool thing todo, meet up and drive some karts. I like the way you think =)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

ok im signing up with iRacing today and would like to no if anybody would like to be my referer,,just pm your email and ill put it in as my referer..You get $10 in game cash to spend on your membership or in game content

• Advertisement

ok so i signed up and it says to turn off auto renewal you have to cancel your acount. so if i canel near the end and chose to go back on it in a few months time will i my extra tracks and stats be there or will they be deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    ok so i signed up and it says to turn off auto renewal you have to cancel your acount. so if i canel near the end and chose to go back on it in a few months time will i my extra tracks and stats be there or will they be deleted

You'll keep everything from what I can tell. I've been on and off iRacing since it started, stuff has always been there. Plus after you cancel you eventually get a nice sweetener email asking you to come back at a reduce cost :D

Hey there Soupercomputer, I have a question for ya!
    now I think I already know the answer but still....something nagging at the back of my mind...

When I buy extra tracks and cars does my subscription amount stay the same?

i.e if I own all the cars and tracks do I pay the same subscription as somebody that buys nothing extra.

I haven't seen reference to it anywhere so I think it stays the same.

Would seriously ditch it if it increased.

Hulk Once you buy a car or track you own them, if you leave and come back they will be there. buying three items(cars or tracks) at a time you will get 10% off, if you buy six you get 20% off.
    And your subscription should get cheaper. i resub'ed another year for $39/€29. You could buy a year for $49 in one of the promotions they have and i had $10 participation credits(you get for racing in 8 weeks out of 12 in a season).

Thanks Squidwert, dont know where I got that Idea from but glad its not true ;)

I was having the same thought and was hoping that I was wrong.

Didn't get time to online at all when I got home yesterday, after walking 3 dogs, making dinner and all that it was close to 11.

Ahh well will have to try tonight =)

my wheel stand pro is bought and im buyin a g27 today,,anybody no about delivery times for the wheel stand pro,,its not advertised on their site

Hi Rossi IRL, I have no idea about the wheel stand pro delivery times I am sorry to say. Where are you getting your G27 from? I know that http://overclockers.co.uk sell them for 199GBP I think and they have fast delivery (I have nothing to do with them btw). That is a pretty good price I think.

Anybody know of a good place to souce CNC machined parts? I have some ideas for my own H shifter and pedals and would love to be able to get some custom made parts. Thinking that I should maybe save and get my own CNC Millings machine and then start making parts for other people, wouldnt have to make that many to break even hehe =)

im uying it from an irish shop,,yes it is a good bit dearer but i got all my pc parts from them

• Advertisement

Yeah that I can understand, it is very nice to have that kinda contact with a shop and sometimes that is worth the extra bit of cash.

Anybody know of a good place to souce CNC machined parts? I have some ideas for my own H shifter and pedals and would love to be able to get some custom made parts. Thinking that I should maybe save and get my own CNC Millings machine and then start making parts for other people, wouldnt have to make that many to break even hehe =)
    I know of Ardrahan engineering in Galway, or do a search for precision engineers on golden pages.

It will cost a pretty penny though, unless you can write G-code your going to have to get someone to design up the thing for you and if it's only a one off piece expect to pay a lot for it. Probably in the hundreds.

I used to be able to write G-Code back in my school days and I was even good at it hehe, but this is getting close to 20 years ago now so do not think I would be able to anymore.

Need to take a look at that again I think. Thanks ScumLord for the link, I will take a look and see =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Another iRacing addict here. I signed up on St Stephens Day with their 3 for 1 month offer after a couple of years wanting to try it out. Had my first Skippy race today, they're a handful but lots of fun. Managed to scrape through it with just a 1x incident so that was enough for me despite finishing near the back.

I'm using an Xbox wireless wheel connected to the pc with a usb wireless receiver. It only has force feedback when connected to an xbox but the feedback is pretty crap on it so I'm not missing much. Still though, I cant help thinking that with a semi decent wheel, I would be a bit more competitive. Trying my best to scrape some pennies together for a G27 but I cant stop spending my money on new cars and tracks :pac:

@ro_chez: I have a G25 here that I don't use that you could get for hmm 120€ if you want. It is used well though but working good. If you want its there otherwise it will be on the floor making my wife look at it angry every day because it is in the way hehe =)

@ScumLord: I found www.cncdiy.org and they have really good prices on desktop hobby cnc machines, think I will save up and get one. It will take me a while so it givse me time to brush up on very very old skills that I am not even sure that I have any more hehe. Should be a fun journey. Can see sooo many projects being made possible with one of those =)

Hey ro-chez go for c0rn3y's g25 if you can, great wheel, mine's going 4 years now and never had a problem(touch wood) another one for karting this summer;)

@c0rn3y i have a couple of thing's/idea's i'd like made when you get cnc machine up and running

and send me your names and i'll setup a hosted session for a demo derby sometime soon

• Advertisement

Here is the link to my member page.

Think it will take me at least until some time after the summer before I get my self a cnc machine. Saving for one more gfx card and two more screens at the moment and that will come first. Then maybe your load cell and a buttkicker and and and and hehe.

But I will for sure get my hands on a cnc. When I have one I will make sure once I know how to use everything that the Irish sim people will get some benefits =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

@ro_chez: I have a G25 here that I don't use that you could get for hmm 120€ if you want. It is used well though but working good. If you want its there otherwise it will be on the floor making my wife look at it angry every day because it is in the way hehe =)

Thants very nice of you to offer c0rn3y. I might need to hold off for a couple of weeks if I can just stop myself from buying any more content. Today they just announce a new winter stock-up sale with extra discounts on bulk purchases so we'll see how that goes! This would be me.

It is all good ro_chez, it will be here for a while =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Mixed feelings about my first races in two years decided to go with the mx5's at Lime Rock didnt bother qualifying so i would start from the back of the grid. first race was a disaster got to tensed up before hand and spun twice on the first two laps leaving me well out of contention.

The Second race started perfectly 11th to 4th by the first corner 2nd 3rd and 4th were glued together swapping places for fourteen laps till while fighting for position I made a mistake under braking for T1 and hit the guy in 3rd spinning us both out (i was sickened apologised in chat after the race hope he seen it) .

By the time i got the car back i had lost ten or eleven seconds and two places adding to that the car now not tracking well but it wasn't to bad so decided to keep going.

One of the cars that passed me made a mistake t3 gifting me a place. The lad I had hit lost alot less time and was about five seconds ahead of be but unfortunately i think his car came out of the crash with worse damage than mine and after a few laps he ran wide and gifted me another i managed to get to the end and secured 3rd place happy with that from 11th but a bit pissed at the mistake.

lap chart from the race more off tracks than id have liked but they were only small ones like running wide at the last corner or clipping the grass at the top of the uphill right hander, this was also only my 8th race ever so very happy with pace
    1 01:02.817
    2 01:00.230
    3 00:59.745 fastest lap
    4 01:01.655 off track
    5 01:00.914
    6 01:00.123
    7 01:00.604
    8 01:00.529
    9 01:00.520 off track
    10 01:01.905 off track
    11 01:00.378 off track
    12 01:00.296 off track
    13 01:00.448 off track
    14 01:11.156 off track, car contact, lost control
    15 01:00.990 off track
    16 01:00.610
    17 01:00.244
    18 01:00.747
    19 01:01.458
    20 01:00.909

Consistency is key every time Grim, those laptimes are pretty consistant.
    Keeping them consistant while under pressure from behind or looking to get by the guy infront is even more so,its a skill in itself within iracing and motorsport in general.

• Advertisement
Advertisement