Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Love their Deluxe linguini. Very tasty and cooks extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I used to love the mini chicken fillet breasts. They must have changed supplier because they are not as good as quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I just popped a bottle of the Spanish range cider and it's really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I just popped a bottle of the Spanish range cider and it's really nice.

I hope you did it surreptitiously this hour of the night :D. :D

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I hope you did it surreptitiously this hour of the night :D. :D

I coughed loudly to cover the pop :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Took a punt on their Iberian special week Sol y Mar Sea Salt and Olive flavour crisps. Really tasty, really thin and crispy with a nice balance of salt/olive flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

On the subject of the Sol Y Mar stuff, got the patatas bravas, garlic prawns and iberian croquettes as well as a sauce which I can't remember the flavour. Pretty underwhelming tbh, patatas bravas fairly bland and need a sauce. Prawns probably worse again, tiny and little flavour, could make my own in less time and be twice as tasty. One good thing is they come with 2 little tapas bowls which are pretty nice and will come in handy down the line. The croquettes are fairly nice, fried them as packaging said and they are tasty but wouldn't eat a huge amount of them in one go. Got a bottle of the Iberian cider as well to wash it down, not bad for the price but I'm not really a cider drinker so can only say it tasted ok to me, not as sweet as bulmers or anything like that.

Overall i'd probably steer clear of this range in future, pity as I was excited to try it. I won't end a post without a recommendation; the "flats" i think they're called bread things are very nice. Think theres six in a pack and come in wholemeal/multigrain varietys. Lovely toasted.

The Spanish range prawn salad with fruit was nice, I thought. It was sold out when I went back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

The spanish range crisp breads are class and the Goats cheese and sun dried tomato foccia is unreal .... The low carb diet suffered a heavy blow this week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Goats cheese and sun dried tomato foccia is unreal .... The low carb diet suffered a heavy blow this week :P
    I was really diappointed with that one tbh, pure cardboard taste off it like it had spent a year in a freezer before I bought it. Maybe if I had a bowl of soup to go with it or something instead of eating it dry on its own but I wont be buying it again anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I really liked that goats cheese/tomato focaccia when I tried it, it was still warm from the oven though, the second one I tried was cold and wasn't as tasty. So in future I'll be warming them up in the oven before eating :)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Took a punt on their Iberian special week Sol y Mar Sea Salt and Olive flavour crisps. Really tasty, really thin and crispy with a nice balance of salt/olive flavour.

I tried these and didn't like them. Just shows how many of our tastes vary.

I really liked that goats cheese/tomato focaccia when I tried it, it was still warm from the oven though, the second one I tried was cold and wasn't as tasty. So in future I'll be warming them up in the oven before eating :)

Yeh unless their fresh just pop em under the grill for like 2 mins their unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just had a ridiculously smooth shave with the Lidl 3 blade system, €2.79 for the razor and 2 blades, the orange and black ones, packs of 10 replacement blades for the same price. If the edge holds up for any length of time they'll be completely superior to premium brands for a tenth of the price...

Thargor wrote: »
    Just had a ridiculously smooth shave with the Lidl 3 blade system, €2.79 for the razor and 2 blades, the orange and black ones, packs of 10 replacement blades for the same price. If the edge holds up for any length of time they'll be completely superior to premium brands for a tenth of the price...

The 5 blade with the trimmer is unreal aswell , usualy gt about 3 - 4 shaves per blade , bout the same as what i was getting with the Gillet blades but a 1/4 of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How do those razors taste ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Bloody good...

:(

Lemony sharp :P

I tried the pastry olive and cheese swirls and I would say it was like a strong tapenade with a lot of cheese. This was in the Greek range. i only managed to eat one as it was so filling. Maybe someone else with different taste might like them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm not a big fan of the Greek week, it's all stodgy stuff imo. But the kalamari olives are good value!
    I picked up a few of the Polish things, that big tub of seasoning is great for making base flavour for soups or for (quelle horreur:eek:)adding to pasta water. Also got the smoked sprats, I wanted the mackerel but there was none. The braised beetroot and onion in the jar is tasty too, just not the weather for salads though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The sprats and mackerel were fantastic imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Apricot yougart drinks are lovely, 400ml €1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They have frozen veg cakes on offer at 77c the cauliflower and cheese ones are gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Donut peaches! I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, but they are perfectly ripe and beautifully sweet.

I quite like the instant Lattes. I'm having one now, I think there's added sugar but the Cappuccino ones definitely don't have sugar if people are worried. Something else I like is the caramelised onion hummus found in the salad area. It's got lovely flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can tell you one thing I definitely don't recommend....

The fresh pizza in the blue box (Italiamo range?) - I got the meaty one, and it was ROTTEN. Really odd-tasting meat on it (I don't think it was gone off, but it had that taste about it), the cheese was like rubber (like a pizza that had been left in a warming oven for an hour, but it was just out freshly cooked), dry tasteless crust. Most of it went in the bin.

Never again!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can tell you one thing I definitely don't recommend....

The fresh pizza in the blue box (Italiamo range?) - I got the meaty one, and it was ROTTEN. Really odd-tasting meat on it (I don't think it was gone off, but it had that taste about it), the cheese was like rubber (like a pizza that had been left in a warming oven for an hour, but it was just out freshly cooked), dry tasteless crust. Most of it went in the bin.

Never again!

I find Dry Cured meats can, to me at least, taste"gone off".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I find Dry Cured meats can, to me at least, taste"gone off".

I agree. But this was downright unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

The Baklava and Eridanous Sweet Jelly Cubes are nice. Although they're not great they're very different to anything you'd normally get. Worth the €4 and €1.50 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

They gots their German food in! We feasted on Spaetzle baked in a cheese sauce last night. Himself has gone to work with leberkaese sammidges. Highly recommend the Alpenzeller cheese and both big and baby bratwurst.

Advertisement