Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

worst
    game ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

gimli2112 wrote: »
    worst
    game ever

HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You can split the visual and apply regular sounds or turn them off entirely but don't think you can cancel one sound :(

I just checked the settings, sound and screen. Turned off Key Tone and I'm left with sounds of the ocean and no noise when navigating icons, exactly what i wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I just checked the settings, sound and screen. Turned off Key Tone and I'm left with sounds of the ocean and no noise when navigating icons, exactly what i wanted!

This is awesome - thanks for the follow up. I've had so many themes over the years where the icon noise has bugged me and ruined the theme. Good to know I can tinker a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had to give up on this, my heart was just sinking every time I cleared an area and moved straight on to another area to repeat what I just did, it stopped being fun.

I'll stick christopherodds let's play on in the background while I'm working just to see the end of the story but even that hasn't grabbed me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thargor wrote: »
    I had to give up on this, my heart was just sinking every time I cleared an area and moved straight on to another area to repeat what I just did, it stopped being fun.

I'll stick christopherodds let's play on in the background while I'm working just to see the end of the story but even that hasn't grabbed me.

You're not missing anything. Wish I had stopped like you. It's not bad, just too long and ultimately not worth it.

it stopped being fun.

This game isn't meant to be fun.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    an oxymoron

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Silent Hill 2 isnt fun either and is a classic.

However unlike last of us 2 it's compelling because of its narrative. Last of Us 2 isn't.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Silent Hill 2 isnt fun either and is a classic.

However unlike last of us 2 it's compelling because of its narrative. Last of Us 2 isn't.

TLOU2 isn't a compelling narrative? Yeah ok.

TLOU2 isn't a compelling narrative? Yeah ok.
    Not when its buried under a few dozen hours of tedious filler.

The tedious length isn't even the worst of its problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

I haven’t really thought about this too much since I finished it, but agree with the above. It’s a good bit too long and the last 30% I found to be a grind to the end, I had really stopped enjoying it and just wanted to see it through.

I also wish there was more segments with the infected instead of yet another gang of humans I don’t care about. The best bits were when you, enemy humans and infected were all thrown into the mix together imo.

All in all it’s very much a Naughty Dog game, make it look pretty and stick doggedly to the formula of the previous game. I think during the PS3 years their ability to tell a story definitely helped them stand out, but there’s a lot of games now that would be at least on their level narratively, so it needed to do more than the first one gameplay wise to really be considered essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Thinking back on it after finishing it a couple of months ago. It had some amazing set pieces in it. The abandoned subway station lit by red flares where you are caught between the human enemies and infected was very tense and visually stunning. Joel bringing Ellie to the museum had a tenderness that was absent from the rest of the game but which a bit more of might have helped the bleakness of the rest of the game be a bit more bearable.

I enjoyed the narrative and the resolution, or lack thereof, at the end but it was just too long - the section after the farm near the end felt particularly superfluous. I've tried to get back to it for a second play-through to clear up some of the things I missed out first time round but the thoughts of the time it will take is really off-putting. There are pretty severe pacing issues at times and too many areas that feel repetitive. A bit of trimming would have done wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

This pretty much lines up exactly with my feelings on the game.

So many segments that outstay their welcome followed by segments, such as the museum sequence, that the game could have done with more of. By the end of it I was so sick and tired of fighting my way through samey kill boxes that the only reason I was able to finish it was due to not wanting to waste the significant time investment I had already put in.

Between this, and Uncharted 4, less is definitely more with Naughty Dog games as far as I'm concerned. Uncharted 4 was a clear indication to me that they are a developer who don't vary their mechanics enough to sustain a longer play time, and TLoU 2 really hammered that point home.

Not when its buried under a few dozen hours of tedious filler.

Filler to you, not to me. I felt the "grind" added to my experience, I felt what the characters felt by always being ugh end ffs. Also Uncharted 4 was too long too? Maybe you should go back to indie games. I love the mechanics of U4, the multiplayer in that is the best of the generation for me.

Never played the multiplayer but the campaign was tedious. Probably one of the most disappointing games of this generation for me.

Also Uncharted 4 was too long too? Maybe you should go back to indie games.
    Lol what? Thats some leap :confused:

There's a bit near the end of UC4 where you're scaling another cliff. I wanted to let go just to end it all and I love the UC games.
    I thought the conclusion was cool however and that's how I like my games to end, happily. It's like Hollwood endings.

An outcome considered to be typical of certain movies produced in Hollywood, California, in which all desirable results are achieved, with protagonists being rewarded, antagonists being punished or destroyed, and positive sentiments (love, happiness, peace) prevailing over negative.

While people may not like such outcomes I prefer this. It's like watching Korean cinema and coming out at the end wondering what the frick just happened.

• Advertisement

Found Uncharted 4 completely unnecessary. The brother was pretty much a poochie. The most important part of Nathan Drake's life who he failed to mention once over 3 games.

I actually remember that cliff at the end and think 'not again!'.

Wasn't even all that impressed by the set pieces in the game and the final set piece sequence to finish it off was boring. Too much story as well considering I just could not care for what was happening this time.

Recently got Lost Legacy and hoping the fresh faces liven things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Good God UC4 was tedious. I'd be hard pressed to play another Naughty Dog action adventure game without a total overhaul of how they approach game play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

After skipping through this, I just discovered there's an auto - pickup option. If I'd known that, I would've turned it on

CastorTroy wrote: »
    After skipping through this, I just discovered there's an auto - pickup option. If I'd known that, I would've turned it on

Same. Although the visual highlighting mode was great for looting and did realise that from jim sterling's review.

Thanks for the laughs previous commentorrrs.

Thanks for the laughs previous commentorrrs.

No problem, 12 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Filler to you, not to me. I felt the "grind" added to my experience, I felt what the characters felt by always being ugh end ffs. Also Uncharted 4 was too long too? Maybe you should go back to indie games. I love the mechanics of U4, the multiplayer in that is the best of the generation for me.

Found Uncharted 4 too long and should only play indie games lol. Get a grip. You misunderstood/manipulated my post (not surprising really), my problem isn't with long games, it's with long games that are utterly stale, one trick ponies that outstay their welcome by about 6 hours. And I say that as someone who loved the series to that point, and subsequently loved Lost Legacy.

If you find Uncharted 4 enjoyable for the duration of the game, then more power to you. I wish I had the same patience and could have found some good in the absolute tedious slog that game was.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Found Uncharted 4 too long and should only play indie games lol. Get a grip. You misunderstood/manipulated my post (not surprising really), my problem isn't with long games, it's with long games that are utterly stale, one trick ponies that outstay their welcome by about 6 hours. And I say that as someone who loved the series to that point, and subsequently loved Lost Legacy.

If you find Uncharted 4 enjoyable for the duration of the game, then more power to you. I wish I had the same patience and could have found some good in the absolute tedious slog that game was.

Slog? That's your opinion. Uncharted 4 was only 12 hours (Uncharted 2 and 3 were far far more dragged out, coming from someone who LOVES 2) and this was only 20... god imagine if you played The Witcher 3 or the new AC games, you'd die haha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: SMC92Ian, you’re being so unnecessarily abrasive and confrontational I can only assume you’re doing it on purpose. Tone it down, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved TLOU 2 but the guy in the vid above makes good points like made on this thread long ago. Uncharted is very stale but it's worse that other games try to copy it. Uncharted is very casual player friendly though. Anyone i know as a casual player plays fifa, cod and Uncharted so i can see why the keep the formula like that.

Johnny has mentioned this before and i would love to see ND have their next game more story driven and less action. What they'd have to do fix the balance and make it enjoyable, i dunno. There are too many action set pieces in 2 so is it just a case of get rid of half the combat sections? The open world of downtime Seattle was great to explore and as ND has said, most of the game was open world but it hurt the story. I think if they can find a balance for more open world stuff while keeping an engaging story, they'll be onto something special.

I'd love some dlc like Left Behind, they definitely have enough interesting characters and storylines to cover over the years/scenes we didn't get to see.

Advertisement