Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Plan or Starlink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Anyone know if its at the Irish end the delay in Starlink being licensed to provide BB in Ireland ? Or are they already licensed ?

would be really annoying if we were dragging our feet to license Starlink and at the same time the NBP has made “effectively no progress at all

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There isn't really any such thing as a licence to provide broadband in Ireland. There's general authorisation, which just requires that you write to ComReg and notify them that you intend to provide communications services.

Unless you mean radio licences for the subscriber terminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Anyone know if its at the Irish end the delay in Starlink being licensed to provide BB in Ireland ? Or are they already licensed ?

Starlink is registered with Comreg to provide an electronic communications service under a General Authorisation since last Oct.

Subscriber terminals are spectrum [URL="file:///C:/Users/liamk/Desktop/S.I.-No-226-of-2020-Wireless-Telegraphy-Act-1926-Section-3-Exemption-of-Terminals-for-Satellite-Services-Order-2020.pdf"]licence exempt[/URL].

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116050887

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There isn't really any such thing as a licence to provide broadband in Ireland. There's general authorisation, which just requires that you write to ComReg and notify them that you intend to provide communications services.

Unless you mean radio licences for the subscriber terminals?

I'll make it easy, are they now allowed to sell broadband in Ireland, is all the paperwork done. If not is it because of starlink or Comreg or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Starlink is an alternative and will up open options but fibre is by its nature, technically superior in terms of what it’s capable of in bandwidth and it’s upgrade friendly and carries more ISPs giving customers a lot of options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

celtic_oz wrote: »
    I'll make it easy, are they now allowed to sell broadband in Ireland, is all the paperwork done. If not is it because of starlink or Comreg or other.

I doubt rollout in Ireland is a priority for them really. Not sure about the licencing part but I doubt you need anything from Comreg to green light your satellites giving service, they effectively are already, people are just waiting on the equipment to get shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Just came across this thread because I have been looking for a bit more info on Starlink since I got a mail from NBI informing me that my premises will be connected between January 2025 - December 2026. I went on the Starlink site and used that "dropped pin" feature to find when Starlink would be available in my area. It said between the middle and end of 2021. I am skeptical about that myself I must say but it will be available before 2025 surely. I was thinking of paying the deposit but I just want to confirm the way I think it works from reading this; https://www.starlink.com/legal/terms-of-service-preorder

Paying the deposit does not commit you to the further outlay of the €500 for the equipment or the monthly subscription fee. When the services become available in your area you are notified by email that Starlink are preparing to ship your kit. You must then authorize SpaceX to charge you for the equipment and the monthly charge.

There is no minimum contract, you can cancel at any time and you have to set up the dish yourself. It sounds very similar to a satellite broadband service called SkyDSL that I used about ten years ago. It was OK but getting the dish to find the satellite was a pain in the a###. Also there was very high latency so streaming or voice calls was not possible. Starlink is supposed to be better (no latency). I'd like to know more before I commit though.

Starlink dishes are phased array antenna, so electronically steerable, i.e. it will lock onto sats within its 100 degree viewing angle. No manual pointing at the sat on install, basically plug and play and the dish points itself to the correct part of the sky for your specific location.

Very positive reports from most that have installed it so far, both speed and latency.

Lots of discussion on it over in the Reddit forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Got the same email from the National Snail Out Plan, 4-5 years for a possible connection just south of Kinnegad. A feckn joke.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

There’s no comparison between StarLink and older satellite broadband. The latency is reasonably low and the equipment is pretty simple to setup.

They are clusters of low earth orbit satellites, a lot of the older stuff used much higher orbit positions which added a lot of latency as the signal had to travel huge distances. Typical geostationary orbit satellites are roughly 40,000km over the equator vs just 550km for starlink

I took the plunge and signed up. I installed the Starlink app on my phone and there is a 3D sky scanner on it that allowed me to search for the satellite outside and give me the result.

I got back "Clear view with no obstructions". No reason not to get it so apart from the cost which is a bit steep.

Edit; I saw on reddit some people in Ireland who paid the deposit back in March and February and are still waiting to receive their hardware.

Post edited by lukin on

Got a mail today from Starlink that "The Starlink team is preparing your order for shipment." I thought I would be waiting a lot longer but it's only two weeks ago I paid the deposit. Hopefully I will have the kit within a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

ordered mine there now, as my cell went live today.

seems the coverage for Ireland has been ramped up

my app shows the green dots, and when they clear its tuck on processing? any ideas?

ordered tonight, but app still stuck...

nice GUI for those of you who dont know about it.

https://starlink.sx/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I get the same error. Just stays on processing

started to research it a month ago. found my google plus code on google maps then searched the address on starlink website every day. went to full order yesterday. was 99 deposit and mid to late 2021 prior to that.

ive a feeling every address query is showing up somewhere at starlink HQ so the 30 or so of my queries "may" have triggered the cell update.

on the other hand it seems that a lot of Irish and New Zealand cells went live yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I think a whole batch of Starlink orders went live this week. I pre-ordered 10th Feb, opened up for full payment this week

• Advertisement

Got a mail from Starlink overnight that my order is being shipped. Not bad considering I only paid the €99 deposit three weeks ago. Delivery is estimated for next Monday. Sounds a bit too good to be true but I will wait and see.

ordered min on tuesday this week. paid in full. arrived this morning at 10am. installed on pole now and enjoying 300 meg down

Got my kit today today; it wasn't supposed to come until Monday. 223 Meg d'load and 30 meg upload. The only problem is the dish is in the middle of the lawn with the cable going across the driveway. I am getting a pipe adapter from the Starlink shop. Then I should be able to mount the dish on that and maybe clear those obstructions.

enjoy.

i didnt bother with the pipe adaptor. went with a shelley clamp ( 5 Euro )

solid as can be

Anyone tell NBI?

270 average down

mighty job ! ordered tue, arrived thurs. installed that eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Re: Elaine Byrne's piece in the Business Post (@The Cush posted it here #4084 )

Has anyone seen an official commitment from Starlink on this bit ?

"The monthly broadband cost….. will reduce in time as more subscriptions come on board. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I think she's confusing the terminal cost with the monthly cost. They've already confirmed the terminal is a loss-maker for them, but they're hoping to get it down from $1300 (production cost) to 1/4 that amount in the next 12 months

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/spacex-starlink-price-cuts

I haven't seen any indication they're dropping the monthly price. The only allusions they've made to pricing changes are around market fit. So in developing countries, it may be less than $99/month

This from Musk this summer, nothing on the monthly subscription charge

"Over time, we'd like to reduce the terminal cost from $500 to, I don't know, $300 or $250, or something like that."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/06/musk-aims-to-cut-starlink-user-terminal-price-from-500-to-as-low-as-250/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's good for some but has extensive limitations. Not sure what you would be telling NBP?

Hi guys this product which has alot of limitations but is a reasonable substitute for a small fraction of people in difficult locations is an alternative for this minority of people..versus a superior fibre connection.

Is that what we should tell them that they already know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

Don't forget to mention that it has orders of magnitude less bandwidth and more latency. It's good as a stop-gap, but anyone that thinks it's a viable long-term replacement for FTTH is wrong. The same goes for my Imagine FWA connection. Great sometimes, but not consistent and I'll be dropping it ASAP once fibre gets here (projected as mid 2023 for me).

Advertisement