Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Options

Comments

Day Lewin wrote: »
    May have made too many.
    The pastry is a mixture of lard/butter/and Cookeen
    The mincemeat was home-made to my own recipe.

They look delish! You can NEVER have too many mince pies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Day Lewin wrote: »
    May have made too many.
    The pastry is a mixture of lard/butter/and Cookeen
    The mincemeat was home-made to my own recipe.

I'd love one of them now! Starving is not the word!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

QdxaIDzl.jpg

Here are my mince pies!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don't like Mince Pies but my god they look so tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Loughc wrote: »
    I don't like Mince Pies but my god they look so tasty.

This is no help for people who don't like mincemeat at all, but for anyone like me who does quite like it but finds mince pies to be too dense and sugary, you can mix about 50% diced apple in with the mincemeat and it really lightens the filling up :) .

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    This is no help for people who don't like mincemeat at all, but for anyone like me who does quite like it but finds mince pies to be too dense and sugary, you can mix about 50% diced apple in with the mincemeat and it really lightens the filling up :) .

I’ve actually done this and put Queen cake mixture on top and it was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody tried to make a mincemeat swirl?

You get a sheet of puff pastry and roll it out.
    You spread out a layer of mince meat and roll it back up.
    Then you cut it into slices and bake.

Yep. Again covered the mincemeat with grated apple. Scrumptious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Sprinkle over some flaked almonds before baking and they're even nicer. I made mincemeat muffins the other day, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think I'll try this at the weekend! Although we were going to try these:
    https://messchef.ie/blogs/news/traditional-christmas-biscuits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Tip: Adding apples is good, subbing plain beef mince is not.

https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/1204074621059948544/photo/1

Apparently the person in charge of creating photos to go with the recipe was unaware of the difference between 'mincemeat' and 'minced meat' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Love the sound of this, any recipes please for a mince meat ? I wouldn't mind giving this a go I am not a baker :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I finally got around to making gingerbread dough last night - I'm planning to actually bake the biscuits on Wednesday as we have friends coming around, and I thought decorating them could be a fun thing to do with their kids. It was my first time using molasses for gingerbread but the texture of the dough seems fine.

The only thing is, as I was clearing up afterwards I realised I forgot to put salt in - I had it the salt ready to go, I must have got distracted. It was only half a teaspoon, but I'm wondering is the gingerbread going to be really bland without it? Should I just make a completely new batch?

I wouldn't think it'll make a huge difference but why not just bake one cookie now and test it. I certainly wouldn't throw it out without checking first.

And for the mince swirls, if you're not much of a baker just buy a jar. Add a splash of some alcohol or other and it'll be lovely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

So we had friends over for dinner last night, here is some of the gingerbread that I made (which tasted great, incidentally):

D8w1dpSh.jpg

gIWqi2Dh.jpg

I also made a Yule Log, but I think next time I'd add some decorations because I think it looks a bit plain:

VY8HT8Fh.jpg

And finally, an Oreo cheesecake - not directly Christmassy but always a crowd pleaser:

W8SSWAXh.jpg

Getting hungry here....all looks fab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

They look amazing I bet your visitors will be back for more

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can I order 4 Yule logs please.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Loughc wrote: »
    Can I order 4 Yule logs please.

Aren't you going to get any for your guests??

Neyite wrote: »
    Aren't you going to get any for your guests??

Nope. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Love love love gingerbread cookies at Christmas. Though a lot of recipes have treacle as one of the main ingredients which I really don’t like. That log looks impressive Scarinae!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Apparently the person in charge of creating photos to go with the recipe was unaware of the difference between 'mincemeat' and 'minced meat' :P

Actually that person is historically accurate and we are not! It used to be that they were made of minced meat.

So yes, they are correct and it is a good alternative filling..

Have a read of Wikipaedia and other sites re the history of mince pies, Makes sense too of the name as mincemeat is not minced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sampling the first batch of Mrs S's mince pies as she puts more in the oven. They are delicious but I may need a few more...just to be sure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sampling the first batch of Mrs S's mince pies as she puts more in the oven. They are delicious but I may need a few more...just to be sure.

I'm willing to provide you with a second opinion. I'm nice, that way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Here's the original website:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/mincemeat-and-apple-tart-recipe-435106

:D

I made another batch of mince pies.. (forgot to take pics!) and I'm a lot happier with this one.

A combination of Paul Hollywood's Pastry recipe and Phil Vickery's mince pie filling recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. I read this thread regularly and enjoy the recipes and tips.

I'm trying to find a recipe for 'Snowballs' as made by a Donegal lady on Catherine Fulvio's 'Taste of Home' last week.

I can remember most of the ingredients digestive biscuits, carnation milk, butter, marshmallows, chocolate powder, desicated coconut, but not the quantites or method.

I'd appreciate if anyone could post the recipe or a link to same. T/A

I was baking again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

New Home wrote: »

Thank you ever so much for posting the link. I think my grown up children will love these.

Advertisement