Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - August 2015

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Anyone use the top-up Leap app on a tablet using wi-fi? My phone is Android but hasn't NFC. My main use of Leap is on the buses so topping up at home would be a very attractive option on my (wi-fi only) tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) but the app is rejecting my (two) cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

coylemj wrote: »
    Anyone use the top-up Leap app on a tablet using wi-fi? My phone is Android but hasn't NFC. My main use of Leap is on the buses so topping up at home would be a very attractive option on my (wi-fi only) tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) but the app is rejecting my (two) cards.

Taken from the leapcard website:
    The Leap Top-up App will work on Android tablets up to (but not including) 10 inches in size – provided they are running Android version 4.4 KitKat or later & provided they have NFC capabilities. - See more at: https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-top-up-app#sthash.hh26ROXA.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I found that even with my phone you have to keep the card very still once you hear the audible confirmation. If it moves even a small amount it fails to read it. Might be trickier with a tablet where you might be moving the card around trying to find the right spot on the case.

Alun wrote: »
    I found that even with my phone you have to keep the card very still once you hear the audible confirmation. If it moves even a small amount it fails to read it. Might be trickier with a tablet where you might be moving the card around trying to find the right spot on the case.

Thanks Alun, I have previously used the ticket checker app to check the remaining credits on my Travel90 tickets using NFC and never had a problem reading those cards so I don't think this is a user issue! I slap the Leap card onto the back of the tablet and the audible confirmation goes off followed immediately by the error message. All the while the card is firmly clamped (by several fingers) to the back of the tablet.

Slipping Jimmy, thanks for your reply. I have a 7" screen and NFC and it's running Android 6.01 so I meet the technical requirements you provided the link to. The app description on the Play Store only talks about 'Android Smartphone', no mention of tablets.

I've sent the customer care people in Leap an e-mail earlier today, still waiting for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where does the app get payment from? Do you need to register a debit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

flazio wrote: »
    Where does the app get payment from? Do you need to register a debit card?

No, you have to enter the card details every time.

This has now been sorted and my tablet works with the app. Didn't involve a refresh of the app on the play store so they must have made some s/w change on the server and my two Leap cards now work with my tablet on wi-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

I still have credit on a student leap card but it has expired. How do I claim it back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

otterj wrote: »
    I still have credit on a student leap card but it has expired. How do I claim it back

You can get it refunded by leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Thanks, where/how can i do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

This may sound like a stupid question because I haven't used it... If you use the new top up app do you still have to go to a load point or is it already done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Is it just me that got excited when they received the email about the new app from Leap, only to quickly find they can't run the app on their phone ?

It strikes me as less than helpful that Leap have provided an app at this late stage, that is't compatible with a significant number of android phones.

What annoyed me even more was from a quick look at the feedback on the Playstore, it seems I am not the only one who is disappointed with the app and yet, when I went to add my comments and concerns, the Playstore indicated that I can't add a comment until after I have downloaded the app (which I can't then use on my Samsung S4).

All I can say at this stage is credit where it's due, the good people at Leap are proving consistent.....

Having previously taken an inexcusably long time to produce the initial card and payment service, Leap have now followed up with taking too long to introduce an appropriate app. Thats before we talk about the faults with either the card or payment service, or the app (and for fear of even asking how much it cost to introduce this app) :rolleyes:

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Is it just me that got excited when they received the email about the new app from Leap, only to quickly find a few moments later that they can't run the app on their phone ?

It strikes me as less than helpful that Leap have provided an app at this late stage, that isnt compatible with a significant number of android phones.

What annoyed me even more was that from a quick look at the feedback on the Playstore, it seems I am not the only one who is disappointed with the app and yet, when I went to add my comments and concerns, the Playstore indicated that I can't add a comment until after I have downloaded the app (which I can't then use on my Samsung S4).

All I can say at this stage is credit where it's due, the good people at Leap are proving consistent.....

Having previously taken an inexcusably long time to produce the initial card and payment service, Leap have now followed up with taking too long to introduce an appropriate app. Thats before we talk about the faults with either the card or payment service, or the app (and for fear of even asking how much it cost to introduce this app) :rolleyes:

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

January wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question because I haven't used it... If you use the new top up app do you still have to go to a load point or is it already done?

No, once the top up is successful holding the card up to the phone will 'load' it to the card.

Apart from the verified by Visa nonsense it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wife used it yesterday for the first time. Very handy. Hopefully apple pay comes into Ireland and this can be used with iphones soon.

I know it doesn't suit everybody but I like the fact that card details aren't held on the app and that it isn't tied to any one card (we have 2 in our house for example).

Being able to quickly check your balance by touching the card/phone is way better than having to log in to the (not mobile friendly) leap website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I couldn't get new app to top up my card. Using Samsung A3, it kept booting me out at verified by Visa stage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This thread closed and new thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563499

Thanks to lxflyer for his great work on this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement