Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - August 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lemlin wrote: »
    If I'm getting the train every day from the M3 Parkway to Pearse Street, should I buy a monthly ticket with it?

Consider the different options. Are you a child / student / adult? Do you only travel 10 times a weeks? Or do you travel elsewhere in the Short Hop Zone - within Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge and Kilcoole.

Adult
    7 Day = €32.70 x 48 = €1,570
    7 Day Rail & Luas for Short Hop Zone €46.50 x 48 = €2,232
    Monthly Rail Only €142 x 12 = €1,704
    Monthly Rail & Luas €171 x 12 = €2,052
    Monthly Rail, Bus & Luas €208 x 12 = €2,496
    Annual Adult Rail Only €1,420 x 1 = €1,420
    Annual Adult Rail & Bus €1,710 x 1 = €1,710
    Annual Adult Rail & Luas €1,710 x 1 = €1,710
    Annual Adult Rail, Bus & Luas €2,080 x 1 = €2,080

With taxsaver, you can get up to 52% of that back.

http://railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2015.php?station_from=M3WAY&station_to=PERSE&stage1=Submit
    Welcome to the Rail Users Ireland Fare Calculator!

This version is the November 1st/December 1st 2014 fare revision

Station From: M3 Parkway
    Station To: Dublin (Pearse)
    The journey distance is: 20.53km, fare zone J

Ticket Adult Child Schoolchild
    Cash Single €3.70 €1.80 €1.20
    Leap Single €2.87 €1.36 €0.73
    Day Return €6.65 €3.15 €1.95
    3 Day €19.00
    7 Day €32.70

Dublin Area Leap Tickets

Rail Rail + Bus Rail + Luas Luas Luas + Bus
    Adult 1 Day Cap €9.20 €10.00 €10.00 €6.40 €10.00
    Child 1 Day Cap €3.10 €3.50 €3.50 €2.50 €3.50
    Student 1 Day Cap €6.90 €7.50 €7.50 €5.00 €7.50
    Adult 7 Day Cap €35.50 €40.00 €40.00 €23.50 €40.00
    Child 7 Day Cap €12.00 €14.00 €14.00 €8.20 €14.00
    Student 7 Day Cap €27.00 €30.00 €30.00 €18.00 €30.00
    Inner Short Hop: Rush & Lusk, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Bray

Short Hop: Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge and Kilcoole

Family 1 Day Ticket €19.65

Rail + Luas + Bus Adult Monthly €208

* Also valid on 90/145 Bus to/from Heuston/City Centre

7 day tickets valid Sunday to Saturday, except for Luas, and Luas+Bus, valid 7 days from issue/first use

Note Rail + Luas tickets do exist but they are only available from Iarnród Éireann booking offices.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart#dayweeklymonthlytickets
    Adult & Family Day Tickets
    Ticket Price
    Adult All Day Rail Only €11.10
    Adult All Day Rail/Luas €11.80
    Family All Day Rail Only €19.65

Adult '3 Day' & Weekly Tickets
    Ticket Price
    3 Day Rail Only €25.50
    Weekly Rail Only €43.60
    7 Day Rail & Luas €46.50

Adult Monthly Tickets
    Ticket Price
    Rail Only €142.00
    Rail & Luas €171.00
    Rail, Bus & Luas €208.00
    CIE ID is required for these tickets, for more information go to our ticket information section.

Student Weekly & Monthly Tickets
    Ticket Price
    Weekly Rail Only €30.25
    Weekly Rail & Luas €40.55
    Monthly Rail Only €97.00
    Monthly Rail & Luas Discontinued
    Leap Student Travelcard is required for these tickets, for more information go to our student section.

Adult Annual Tickets
    Ticket Price
    Rail Only €1420.00
    Rail & Bus €1710.00
    Rail & Luas €1710.00
    Rail, Bus & Luas €2080.00
    CIE ID is required for these tickets, for more information go to our ticket information section.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am going to Dublin tomorrow for a week with my wife and 2 sons (16 & 13) and I do not have access to my dad's car so I plan to bus it around the city (generally travel between Santry, Ballymun, Phibsboro and Tallaght). Looking at he first post, getting 4 leap cards might be the best bet. I have 2 questions

1. Looks like the one for my 16 year old needs photo ID, how long do these take?

2. For shorter journeys, how does the driver take the money from the leap card?

For some strange reason, I thought leap was like the London area Oyster card that deducts the correct fare when tagged on and off. It looks like I still need to know the stage system :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am going to Dublin tomorrow for a week with my wife and 2 sons (16 & 13) and I do not have access to my dad's car so I plan to bus it around the city (generally travel between Santry, Ballymun, Phibsboro and Tallaght). Looking at he first post, getting 4 leap cards might be the best bet. I have 2 questions

1. Looks like the one for my 16 year old needs photo ID, how long do these take?

For some strange reason, I thought leap was like the London area Oyster card that deducts the correct fare when tagged on and off. It looks like I still need to know the stage system :(

Are you all travelling together?

Adult leap you can purchase at a cost €5 refundable deposit on return of card to leap.

If you are all travelling together 1 card is fine as you can pay for as many as you want too.

If you tag on at validator at door it charges full fare.

If you are not sure of fare or know its a short journey place card on drivers machine.

15 or over need to be personal photo cards which can be done online.

LEAP.ie will have all info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

1 adult leap card and paying for others, will that be at leap card prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

1 adult leap card and paying for others, will that be at leap card prices?

Go to the bus driver. He/she can print as many tickets as needed using the leap card's credit at adult leap fare rates (provided there is sufficient credit). On luas or dart/commuter each passenger needs their own leap card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

bg07 wrote: »
    Go to the bus driver. He/she can print as many tickets as needed using the leap card's credit at adult leap fare rates (provided there is sufficient credit). On luas or dart/commuter each passenger needs their own leap card

Or this may be more simple. A dublin bus family ticket can be loaded on a leap card for €13.50
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/Other-Tickets/

Or an Irish Rail family ticket can be bought for €19.65 (not a leap type ticket though)
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/family-travel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can also get a LEAP visitor card at Dublin Airport for the princely sum of €19.50 at the Spar shop in the arrivals hall in T1 or T2, or at the Travel Information desk in Terminal 1.

The card offers unlimited travel for 72 hours from the time of first validation on Dublin Bus (including Airlink), LUAS and Irish Rail within the Short Hop Zone for the princely sum of €19.50.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It seems to be possible to buy a longer one as well, someone I know got a five day one last week although I'm not quite sure how but it showed up as one on validating even though I never read or heard anything about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

devnull wrote: »
    It seems to be possible to buy a longer one as well, someone I know got a five day one last week although I'm not quite sure how but it showed up as one on validating even though I never read or heard anything about it.

Well according to this determination by the NTA in June, 1, 3, 7, 14, 21 and 28 day visitor cards are to be introduced:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Determination_No._1_2015_-_Determination_order_for_the_Visitor-Trainee_Leap_Card_-_Dublin_Area_-_June_2015.pdf

I don't know if they are available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me with a query. Currently I get the train from Balbriggan to Pearse which costs €142 and so I buy a monthly ticket. Shortly my office is going to move down to the Digital Hub and so it'd be ideal if I could get the Luas from Connolly.

Am I right in thinking that I could get a leap card, top it up by €40 each week and this would allow me to take the train from Balbriggan and get the Luas from Connolly?

I can't avail of the tax saver scheme unfortunately.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement

Yes that's correct - €40 per week for unlimited travel on Dublin Bus/LUAS/Irish Rail (Short Hop).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Sorry if this question has been asked already, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I recently changed jobs and will likely be taking two buses each way now so I want to start using the 30 day rambler on my Leap Card (It's contract work, so I'm not gonna get the annual one just yet).

My question is, if I have the Rambler on my card can I also load money onto the card and use that on days where I'll only be making one journey and so it wouldn't be worth wasting a day of my Rambler?

Thanks in advance.

Yes is the simple answer.

Use the right hand validator when you want to use a day of your rambler ticket.

If you want to use the pay-as-you-go epurse, just go to the driver's ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

lxflyer wrote: »
    Yes is the simple answer.

Use the right hand validator when you want to use a day of your rambler ticket.

If you want to use the pay-as-you-go epurse, just go to the driver's ticket machine.

Wunderbar! Much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi Lxflyer, you are great to provide this information!

I have a bit of a question on the fare I was charged during the week (after 10am) using Dart from Greystones to Connolly and Luas from Connolly to Museum directly after getting off the train. I seem to have been charged just 0.39c for the Luas part.

Dart Greystones - Connolly €4.70 with 0.10c returned on tagging off
    Luas Connolly to Museum €1.19 with 0.80 returned on tagging off

I'm not complaining, seems like great value but would love to know how this fare has been calculated!

Any insight? I can't seem to match that up with any info on Leapcard website, e.g. daily/weekly capping, 90 minute travel or any other combination!

OK, the fares are as follows:

DART Greystones-Connolly is €4.60 (€4.70 less 0.10c)

(you can see this from this page - enter the two stations in the boxes)
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart

LUAS Connolly-Museum is one zone on the red line. That fare is €1.39
    (fare info is here - https://www.luas.ie/single-and-return-tickets.html)

As you took the LUAS within 90 minutes of starting the DART trip, the LEAP90 discount of €1 applies which brings the LUAS fare down to €0.39 (€1.19 less €0.80c).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Leap90 discount: Leap90

1 euro off subsequent trips within 90 minutes on DART/Commuter Rail, Luas and Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

OK, the fares are as follows:

DART Greystones-Connolly is €4.60 (€4.70 less 0.10c)

(you can see this from this page - enter the two stations in the boxes)
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart

LUAS Connolly-Museum is one zone on the red line. That fare is €1.39
    (fare info is here - https://www.luas.ie/single-and-return-tickets.html)

As you took the LUAS within 90 minutes of starting the DART trip, the LEAP90 discount of €1 applies which brings the LUAS fare down to €0.39 (€1.19 less €0.80c).

Thanks! The Luas bit was wrecking my head, I was clicking on fare info links on the Leapcard website but they took me to the fare calculator on Luas page which is for non-Leap fares...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A shop I was in recently has a 50c surcharge for topping up leap cards.
    Is this a new thing?

Posy wrote: »
    A shop I was in recently has a 50c surcharge for topping up leap cards.
    Is this a new thing?

Some shops do this with Payzone transactions.

Simple solution - don't go back to that shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I top up online anyway! No way I'd pay a surcharge- they could feck off! :p

Just thought it was strange, as Dublin Bus are trying to encourage people to use leap cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I added credit to my Leap card in a Payzone shop recently. The receipt I got as usual shows the amount being added and the new balance, no problem there but I also see a line which says ...

Card Expiry: 18/08/2016

Will my card expire next year?

No - as long as you keep using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Some shops do this with Payzone transactions.

Simple solution - don't go back to that shop.

The charge is at the discretion of shops and nothing to do with Payzone, Leap etc, certain surcharges are illegal by the way.

Same way some retailers may add a surcharge for phone credit or Visa/Mastercard cards etc if under say €10.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are paying cash, the Leap Card contract doesn't allow the Payzone agents to add a surcharge.

Victor wrote: »
    If you are paying cash, the Leap Card contract doesn't allow the Payzone agents to add a surcharge.

No that is incorrect, surcharging by retailers for Leap transactions is permissible, but on condition that it's the retailers general policy to surcharge for any services paid for by Payzone and not just Leap transactions. Payzone, Leap etc can't actually force a retailer to not charge a fee as there is no price control on such transactions.

Pre-paid electricity and gas are the only services prohibited by contract to be surcharged, but nevertheless still occurs.

GM228

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

GM228 wrote: »
    No that is incorrect, surcharging by retailers for Leap transactions is permissible, but on condition that it's the retailers general policy to surcharge for any services paid for by Payzone and not just Leap transactions. Payzone, Leap etc can't actually force a retailer to not charge a fee as there is no price control on such transactions.

Pre-paid electricity and gas are the only services prohibited by contract to be surcharged, but nevertheless still occurs.

GM228

The surcharges are only permitted when using a credit/debit card as the method of payment. Due to the costs incurred by the retailer for processing that type of transaction.

The surcharges are only permitted when using a credit/debit card as the method of payment. Due to the costs incurred by the retailer for processing that type of transaction.

The problem is a shop can legally determine whatever price it wants to charge for any item which is not subject to price control.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me with a query. Currently I get the train from Balbriggan to Pearse which costs €142 and so I buy a monthly ticket. Shortly my office is going to move down to the Digital Hub and so it'd be ideal if I could get the Luas from Connolly.

Am I right in thinking that I could get a leap card, top it up by €40 each week and this would allow me to take the train from Balbriggan and get the Luas from Connolly?

I can't avail of the tax saver scheme unfortunately.

Many thanks.

OK Folks,

So I'm slightly confused by this whole leap card thing. Bought a card on the way home last night and topped it up with €25 credit.

I get into the office this morning and the young 'uns here tell me that there are different card types. If I want to come from Balbriggan to Connolly and take the Luas from there to James Street.... do I just top the card up by €40 a week or do I need to do something else?

Also, when I log into my leap card account it asks for a transport operator.... I don't see Irishrail listed. The fact I also use Luas, is that an issue?

What's the load location? If I choose Dart/Commuter and tag on there at Balbriggan, is that alright?

My apologies for all the silly questions. I've been using monthly paper tickets for so long this is a tad confusing.

• Advertisement

OK Folks,

So I'm slightly confused by this whole leap card thing. Bought a card on the way home last night and topped it up with €25 credit.

I get into the office this morning and the young 'uns here tell me that there are different card types. If I want to come from Balbriggan to Connolly and take the Luas from there to James Street.... do I just top the card up by €40 a week or do I need to do something else?

Also, when I log into my leap card account it asks for a transport operator.... I don't see Irishrail listed. The fact I also use Luas, is that an issue?

What's the load location? If I choose Dart/Commuter and tag on there at Balbriggan, is that alright?

My apologies for all the silly questions. I've been using monthly paper tickets for so long this is a tad confusing.

As long as you're using the pay-as-you-go epurse only, then you just need a standard LEAP card. It's valid across all operators.

When you log on, the operator is section is only where you are buying a ticket - that's irrelevant when you are using the epurse as you are.

The load location is where you physically collect the money onto the card - so choose DART/Commuter and it will load up when you next tag on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement