Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - August 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,573 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Parkwest is 13 stages from the city centre - that's within the €2.05 fare.

You need to ask the driver for that fare. You've been overpaying as the righthand validator defaults to the €2.60 fare.

Give LEAP a call about registering the card - they are generally very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

lxflyer wrote: »
    Parkwest is 13 stages from the city centre - that's within the €2.05 fare.

You need to ask the driver for that fare. You've been overpaying as the righthand validator defaults to the €2.60 fare.

Give LEAP a call about registering the card - they are generally very helpful.

Whoops! Thanks that's amazingly helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I bought the 30 day student ticket yesterday at around 4pm. When I go into the ticket history information, it says that I purchased it, but then on the overview page it says 'No tickets found on the selected card'. Can I still use it tomorrow or do I have to wait for that to change?

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I bought the 30 day student ticket yesterday at around 4pm. When I go into the ticket history information, it says that I purchased it, but then on the overview page it says 'No tickets found on the selected card'. Can I still use it tomorrow or do I have to wait for that to change?

You can fire away using it.

The rambler tickets don't appear in that box for some reason.

You can fire away using it.

The rambler tickets don't appear in that box for some reason.

Thank you! I'm new to Dublin Bus but I'll use my ticket tomorrow. Many thanks :)

• Advertisement

Thank you! I'm new to Dublin Bus but I'll use my ticket tomorrow. Many thanks :)

For info if and when you get another ticket, and load it onto the card while still having a day or two left on the original one, be aware that the card treats them as separate tickets, and the readers on the bus will count down to zero on the first ticket before moving onto the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Any sign of a leap card app to check balance?

My son got a Student Leap Card. I topped it up with €100 with the intention of getting a 1 month Green Zone Bus Eireann ticket for €80.
    Problem is, in the last 5 days there hasnt been a leap card machine on the bus to or from Naas. Payzone stores don't sell the ticket and if I don't get it before Wednesday, I will miss out for Oct.
    Bus Eireann and Leapcard helplines were no help. Anyone know how I can get this ticket? Would I be able to get it at busarus or somewhere?

I'm not aware of any monthly student ticket option.

The only options that I'm aware of are:
    1) 7 Day Student Bus Eireann green zone ticket - €40.50 (Note it is a rolling 7 day ticket from the date of first use)
    2) 10 Journey tickets - €46.55

Most Payzone agents in the Dublin area should be able to sell the tickets.

Alternatively, purchase it online at www.leapcard.ie. There is a ticket reader in the front window of Dublin Bus head office at 59 Upper O'Connell Street - you should be able to load the ticket onto the card there.

For sure you can get a 1 Month student Green Zone ticket for €80. Hopefully there will be a leap machine on the bus this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

For sure you can get a 1 Month student Green Zone ticket for €80. Hopefully there will be a leap machine on the bus this evening.

Monthly tickets only available in the Cork region according to this: http://www.studentleapcard.ie/tickets/

Not in the Dublin area you can't.

Given that the weekly option is €40.50 that is fairly obvious.

You're clearly getting mixed up with the Cork Green zone.

You could very well be right. No Leap card machine on the bus today either. I just show my leap card and get on (I use monthly tax saver).
    For my son as he only travels 3 days a week, I will recommend he just shows the card on the buses that have no machine and just buys a single ticket with the leap card on those odd occasions the is a leap card machine on the bus.

You could very well be right. No Leap card machine on the bus today either. I just show my leap card and get on (I use monthly tax saver).
    For my son as he only travels 3 days a week, I will recommend he just shows the card on the buses that have no machine and just buys a single ticket with the leap card on those odd occasions the is a leap card machine on the bus.

I know that I'm right :-)

I have been compiling this sort of information for some time, and this thread pretty much since LEAP was launched.

There is no monthly student ticket for Bus Eireann services in the greater Dublin area.

If there was, I'd list it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What is the route number he's using? Bus Éireann had issues with not enough machines for Leap when they launched, but I'd expect that to be sorted by now. If there isn't a validator for the leap Card it's possible the route doesn't support it.

Is it listed here?

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234

What is the route number he's using? Bus Éireann had issues with not enough machines for Leap when they launched, but I'd expect that to be sorted by now. If there isn't a validator for the leap Card it's possible the route doesn't support it.

Is it listed here?

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234

My route is on the list, I guess they still don't have enough machines. It's crazy they don't offer a monthly ticket for students. I used my leap card on the bus this evening, it's the first time in 6 days that I have had to use it.

My route is on the list, I guess they still don't have enough machines. It's crazy they don't offer a monthly ticket for students. I used my leap card on the bus this evening, it's the first time in 6 days that I have had to use it.

Will the weekly version not do?

Will the weekly version not do?

He only goes 3 days a week. It will be much cheaper to just buy a ticket on the leap card when there is a reader on the bus.
    He gets the same bus as me, so he won't have to buy a ticket that often. Have loaded up his leap card with €100 so will see how long it lasts.

He only goes 3 days a week. It will be much cheaper to just buy a ticket on the leap card when there is a reader on the bus.
    He gets the same bus as me, so he won't have to buy a ticket that often. Have loaded up his leap card with €100 so will see how long it lasts.

Well in that case a monthly version would also be overkill.

In any case, he would be better off paying cash.

The student return is €10 cash between Naas and Dublin.

LEAP is €6.24 single (cash single is €7.50).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks to a contributor. :) There seems to be issues with the lists, so take them with a grain of salt.

• Advertisement

I just checked my balance online. I have a 30 day student rambler ticket. Under the ticket history section, it gives the times that I tagged on at, but only for the past 2 days. Is this normal? I have used it for a few weeks now, tagging on each time but none of those are on the history.

I just checked my balance online. I have a 30 day student rambler ticket. Under the ticket history section, it gives the times that I tagged on at, but only for the past 2 days. Is this normal? I have used it for a few weeks now, tagging on each time but none of those are on the history.

The system is poor at tracking rambler ticket history online - just watch the number of days used as you use the bus is my best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If I'm buying a Leap Card and later plan to use taxsaver, do I need to buy a personalised leap card? I can't go on taxsaver for another six months until I am permanent in my new job.

Lemlin wrote: »
    If I'm buying a Leap Card and later plan to use taxsaver, do I need to buy a personalised leap card? I can't go on taxsaver for another six months until I am permanent in my new job.
    Just get a regular card in the shops for now and when your employer buys your first taxsaver ticket you will get a new personalised card. I did that recently. You need a photo for the taxsaver card so I just took a selfie on the phone and used mspaint to make the image smaller and the accounts team in my company set it up. You can then add credit to the personalised card then in the same way and use it for journeys that your taxsaver card doesn't cover.

tobsey wrote: »
    Just get a regular card in the shops for now and when your employer buys your first taxsaver ticket you will get a new personalised card. I did that recently. You need a photo for the taxsaver card so I just took a selfie on the phone and used mspaint to make the image smaller and the accounts team in my company set it up. You can then add credit to the personalised card then in the same way and use it for journeys that your taxsaver card doesn't cover.

My current employer have photos of us on our time management system so I've contacted HR to see if they can send me on a copy.

My current employer have photos of us on our time management system so I've contacted HR to see if they can send me on a copy.

It's no use to you though. The employer must open an account with taxsaver.ie and buy the ticket for you. It will be posted to the employer who then give it to you. You don't really have any part in it yourself.

tobsey wrote: »
    It's no use to you though. The employer must open an account with taxsaver.ie and buy the ticket for you. It will be posted to the employer who then give it to you. You don't really have any part in it yourself.

Ah right. And is there no other advantage then to having an actual personalised card over the standard one?

Ah right. And is there no other advantage then to having an actual personalised card over the standard one?
    Not really. It's just that it is required for the taxsaver tickets. Other than that it works the exact same way. I live in Swords and usually use Dublin Bus but the odd time I'd want to get a Swords Express so I load some cash onto it from time to time and can use that to pay for the Swords Express. The taxsaver works on the Dublin Bus and Luas. It's also handy the odd time I have someone travelling with me because I can pay the driver for a second ticket.

To be precise a personalised card is required for monthly and annual tickets - taxsaver is just a scheme through which you can get a tax rebate on the cost of the ticket.

• Advertisement

To be precise a personalised card is required for monthly and annual tickets - taxsaver is just a scheme through which you can get a tax rebate on the cost of the ticket.

If I'm getting the train every day from the M3 Parkway to Pearse Street, should I buy a monthly ticket with it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement