Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Apparently some quarters are putting it down to the eating of bat soup.jesus is there anything they won't eat over there.

What do you think hot wings are made off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I heard rats. Isn’t it year of the rat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

New in three cases in Scotland. its started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

An interesting article/excerpt on diseases throughout history, with some bits on the roles of animals.
    https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-arrow-of-disease

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My kids school just sent out an email titled "Health Announcement". Had a mini panic attack for a second thinking someone there had it but it was just general hygiene advise to prevent the spread of illness.

We've seen all this scaremongering before with SARS, swine flu, MERS, Ebola etc. I'm going to hold off on the anxiety for a while I think until we know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Apparently over 300,000 left the city in china thw day before the lock down and any number of them could be carriers, numbers effected wikl likely rise but im not sure it will reach swine flu levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I have no doubt that it's a real thing, but I find it surprising that there seems to be a political angle in the reporting. Its just odd how 'Chinese durty' seems to be the subtext in a lit of the articles.

Probably true in some regards, but just an interesting spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

According to rte, four and only being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I have no doubt that it's a real thing, but I find it surprising that there seems to be a political angle in the reporting. Its just odd how 'Chinese durty' seems to be the subtext in a lit of the articles.

Probably true in some regards, but just an interesting spin.

It's improving year-by-year, but food preparation and food hygiene standards in lots of areas of China would turn your stomach. It's not unusual to see uncovered pig carcasses and pork products being hauled around on a scooter to its destination from the wet-market. Food cooked with gutter oil is still a thing.

I'm very picky about where I eat when I'm there, particularly in tier-2 cities downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I think, I would be living off , bags of taytoes if I went there, one could always order just chips, but I would not touch meat products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

That could be the ordinary flu we are experiencing here, as it says , symptoms to watch out for, high temperature, sore throat, coughing, and that is what we have here, but it is flu, so could be mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Apparently some quarters are putting it down to the eating of bat soup.jesus is there anything they won't eat over there.

Actually they've no idea where it came from according to the media though it's possible it came from snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

goat2 wrote: »
    That could be the ordinary flu we are experiencing here, as it says , symptoms to watch out for, high temperature, sore throat, coughing, and that is what we have here, but it is flu, so could be mistaken

Bit of a coincidence considering where they have come from...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think, I would be living off , bags of taytoes if I went there, one could always order just chips, but I would not touch meat products

Honestly, in some countries like India and parts of China (rural and low-tier cities mostly), if you want to have a meal with meat - you're best off heading to the nearest McDonalds. You're guaranteed to have hygenically prepared food. Say what you want about Maccas, but they don't mess about with food safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Actually they've no idea where it came from according to the media though it's possible it came from snakes.

All the more reason to make sure there are no snakes on any planes anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Suspected case now being checked in Northern Ireland on a person recently arrived from Wuhan.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Yurt! wrote: »
    Honestly, in some countries like India and parts of China (rural and low-tier cities mostly), if you want to have a meal with meat - you're best off heading to the nearest McDonalds. You're guaranteed to have hygenically prepared food. Say what you want about Maccas, but they don't mess about with food safety.

No chance of a Big Mac in India :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There’s an Irish lad over there.

To where, China?

The food is fantastic. You'll have to swap Taytos for pringles though.

Terrific fruit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The lad has it sussed. The wisdom of youth:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Studies at the market where the coronavirus originated from, say it has come from eating snakes.
    The snakes became a carrier from eating bats and then the humans from eating the snakes.

Mustn't have cooked them properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Economic migrant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Much ado about nothing.

Economic migrant?

You can go over there as some kid with a basic grasp of the english and become a great revered professor of language. It’s a bit dubious

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Much ado about nothing.

Wonder did some armchair expert say similar at the brink of the Spanish flu.
    Guess I can rest easy, thanks chief. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Bobblehats wrote: »
    You can go over there as some kid with a basic grasp of the english and become a great revered professor of language. It’s a bit dubious

A good friend of mine did exactly this.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bobblehats wrote: »

God help us.

I can imagine poor Chinese lads unable to use There, Their, or They're correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Economic migrant?

No, genuine asylum seeker apparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Yurt! wrote: »

Or you could just not eat meat and then not even have to worry about whether your food will make you ill.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    The snakes became a carrier from eating bats and then the humans from eating the snakes.

Mustn't have cooked them properly...

That’s some food chain to be top of

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement