Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air International discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

phishcakes wrote: »
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How is it a scam?

They try to make it seem cheaper than it actually is, by the time you add seat selection to the “saver” option it’s the same price as the “smart” option

You do realise the whole point of the 'Saver' fare is to go without the additional extras, that's why it's cheaper. 

The basic 'Saver' fare *is* cheaper, you can't argue that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can't help but laugh at the naivety of this, a petition for Norwegian to bring back the flights, yeah thats how it works folks :rolleyes:

Have had a quick look and search of the thread and can't see it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Friend of mine works for them in Gatwick and things dont look too good there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

L1011 wrote: »
    Last roll of the dice has happened according to reports - the final share in the bank they've been selling off over time has been sold. That's the last solid source of capital for them used up

Any idea how long the runway is for them? ie - how much did they make from the share in the bank vs how much are they losing monthly?

Their longhaul plans were a bit ambitious, but it'd be an awful shame to see them go fully belly-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Rawr

Blut2 wrote: »
    Any idea how long the runway is for them? ie - how much did they make from the share in the bank vs how much are they losing monthly?

Their longhaul plans were a bit ambitious, but it'd be an awful shame to see them go fully belly-up.

Bank Norwegian was never really that big. It was sort of an artifact from a time when they were trying to be like Virgin and have a load of branded side businesses.

Years ago they also had their own MVNO moblie phone network "Call Norwegian" which ended up getting sold off.

Can't imagine they got an awful lot for Bank Norwegian (I could easily be wrong though), it was a minnow compared to the other banks in Norway.

• Advertisement

Would suck big time if they did fold entirely now.

They are a good alternative to SAS for getting around Scandinavia & Norway. Also, if they go I'll be down to SAS for the only remaining direct OSL to DUB service.

I don't fancy going back to transferring in CPH for every other trip home :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Rawr wrote: »
    Would suck big time if they did fold entirely now.

They are a good alternative to SAS for getting around Scandinavia & Norway. Also, if they go I'll be down to SAS for the only remaining direct OSL to DUB service.

I don't fancy going back to transferring in CPH for every other trip home :(

If the route is viable I’m sure another operator would join on the route.

Norwegian are profitable on their Scandinavia routes what they should do to stay alive is scale back to their original home(profitable) market

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

Was norwegian the reason (or at least part of it) that American airlines dropped the DUB-JFK flights

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was norwegian the reason (or at least part of it) that American airlines dropped the DUB-JFK flights

Any answer is speculative, but I'd say no.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Since the US Airways merger, American have been slowly reducing connecting US-Europe traffic at JFK and moving it to Philadelphia where US Airways had a large hub, much larger than American's at JFK. They are now concentrating on high yield markets out of JFK, with high business demand (e.g. LHR/transcontinentals) and focusing connections at Philadelphia (and indeed Charlotte).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

phishcakes wrote: »
    I agree, paid 800 EUR for return flights for 2, DUB to JFK end of November 2 years ago, coming up approx 1200 EUR for the same dates this November, the new 3 tier pricing structure is a complete scam

282 euros return on klm via ams
    You'd want your head read to be spending double
    Spend it on a nicer hotel or shopping instead or better still bring me

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/02/business/norwegian-air-debt-restructure/index.html

I do wonder how many more times they can kick the can down the road. The shares they have been selling in a Norwegian bank and a phone company can only keep them going for so long. I didn’t realize they still haven't replaced Kjos either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

They can’t continue as they are is the simple answer. Attempting to leverage the slots in LGW and kick out the bonds for a rainy day, selling their interests in assets such as the Bank and doing a sale and lease back on the aircraft does not represent a sustainable business plan. Their credit card companies must have placed restrictive policies on them as Norwegian are trying to blame them for a cash crunch. Generally when a CC company does this its for a very good reason. All the time fuel has never been cheaper and winter is nearly upon us. Profitable and healthy airlines already have the profits made from the summer and the cash in the bank. Norwegian do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 VivaLasBegas

Things not looking great for Norwegian. Liquidating all the assets they can and the Credit card companies not handing over the cash until the flights have taken place. Never a good sign. Really feel for all the lads I know there at present. Thankfully some have got out but the guys still there mustn’t be feeling too comfortable right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

In case anyone cares, I asked a while ago about what happens if a stop over is planned. Well, I actually experienced one :D

- Prior to the flight, FlightRadar had the plane routing via Gander.

- When we were boarded and about to push back, the pilot explained the situation (Not a MAX, range etc). Notably, this wasn't mentioned at any time until we were actually on the plane and departing.

- About half way over the Atlantic, they confirmed the stop and we routed to Gander.

- On the ground about 20 mins and then took off for Hamilton.

All in, I think we handed 90 mins late. I will miss these flights, it was good value and a nice experience the handful of times I flew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Anybody hear what is the problem with the engine on the aircraft that diverted yesterday? Is it being replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

jucylucy wrote: »
    Anybody hear what is the problem with the engine on the aircraft that diverted yesterday? Is it being replaced?

If you are referring to Goose Bay on DUB-YHM, that is a refuelling stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

ironclaw wrote: »
    If you are referring to Goose Bay on DUB-YHM, that is a refuelling stop.

No, I mean the B787 that diverted to DUBLIN yesterday....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jucylucy wrote: »
    No, I mean the B787 that diverted to DUBLIN yesterday....

The one that's leaving Dublin airport now...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

So the decline of Norwegian at Dublin continues....

Norwegian Air International: Dublin-Copenhagen is being dropped for the winter and Dublin-Helsinki is being dropped completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

So the decline of Norwegian at Dublin continues....

Norwegian Air International: Dublin-Copenhagen is being dropped for the winter and Dublin-Helsinki is being dropped completely.

I wouldn't be that bothered, both routes already served direct from Dublin by other airlines

I wouldn't be that bothered, both routes already served direct from Dublin by other airlines

Kinda hoping that same fate doesn't befall Dublin - Oslo. T'is the flight I use the most :eek:

It does appear to be a well used route. They usually fill the plane each time I've taken it, and that's with SAS doing the exact same route as well. My guess / hope is that since that route is run by Norwegian Air Shuttle, and not Norwegian Air International, that it might survive chops like these.

Still kinda concerned though, especially since news of the whole airline has been very "WOWair-ish" lately. Really hoping the whole group doesn't go under due to lack of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

oil price spike today might be the nail in the coffin. They haven't hedged much and when they have they've lost big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jack1985 wrote: »

You would think this is only a stay of execution really. As someone said, oil prices increasing is not helping them. Any wobble of the European economy isn't going help them either. Italy is in recession at the moment and technically Germany is too, so likely to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

spanish text: https://www.hosteltur.com/131656_el-cierre-de-la-base-de-norwegian-en-madrid-afectara-de-100-a-150-pilotos.html

apparently 150 pilots in Spain are affected by route closures.
    supposedly according to another site there are roughly 50 redundancies and 100 unpaid leave until April. Not nice. The reports tally so seems credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I'll have a 12 hour lgw-gig flight coming up towards the end of this month. I did 8 hours dublin - new york newburgh before and it was only tolerable because the plane was half empty. Any tips on surviving this?

rivegauche wrote: »
    spanish text: https://www.hosteltur.com/131656_el-cierre-de-la-base-de-norwegian-en-madrid-afectara-de-100-a-150-pilotos.html

apparently 150 pilots in Spain are affected by route closures.
    supposedly according to another site there are roughly 50 redundancies and 100 unpaid leave until April. Not nice. The reports tally so seems credible.

Didn't know they had a Madrid base. I knew they had a major presence in Barcelona. I think their plan was to position themselves as a low-cost LH operator towards South America from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

machaseh wrote: »
    I'll have a 12 hour lgw-gig flight coming up towards the end of this month. I did 8 hours dublin - new york newburgh before and it was only tolerable because the plane was half empty. Any tips on surviving this?

Your flight should be on a 787 Dreamliner so a completely different experience to their Dublin operation with the 737 narrowbody.

Norwegian’s 787 product in economy is pretty much the same as every other long haul airline; standard seating, a personal entertainment screen and inflight WiFi available. The only difference will be the charges for meals and other extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Your flight should be on a 787 Dreamliner so a completely different experience to their Dublin operation with the 737 narrowbody.

Norwegian’s 787 product in economy is pretty much the same as every other long haul airline; standard seating, a personal entertainment screen and inflight WiFi available. The only difference will be the charges for meals and other extras.

Oh dreamliner, thats great ! I dont think I've ever been in one, most carriers operate 777s or 330s and the like to Brazil. And in the past the old 747s, sometimes without entertainment screens ugh !!!

Advertisement